Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift or TSW?

EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91

should i spend my money to buy TSW? or wait for RIFT's conversion to F2P, then spend it in the cash shop?

need opinions here, especially veteran players of the two said games.

Comments

• DemalisDemalis Member Posts: 134
    They are both good games, can't go wrong with either choice. Might I suggest buying TSW, because it's B2P, and playing Rift until you get back on your feet with your money. To me that's a win win.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    It would help to know what you value in an MMO.  The 2 games are very different, so it will completely depend on what's most important to you.
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by Esuarfeeee

should i spend my money to buy TSW? or wait for RIFT's conversion to F2P, then spend it in the cash shop?

need opinions here, especially veteran players of the two said games.

Play both. Since Rift is going F2P, why not buy TSW and then play Rift as well when it does go F2P?  The cash shop in Rift will not be a necessity to do well in Rift.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    I honestly thought Rift was one of the worst MMO's I've ever played. Go with TSW.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Not sure about TSW

But Rift is a carrot on a stick game until you get to max level.

It's hard to play with others as you go from quest hub to quest hub, and must be on the same quest line to play with others....This game should not be an mmo unless you like to play solo with others around you....If your a social group type player you will find that you cant keep friends as you have to match quest.

It's a well done game besides that.....mmo, well, no !

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60

Rift is a very good game..and if you like PVP it has open world PVP as in the good old days with 2 fractions...

I did play TSW for 1 month but its very slow play style and the zombie theme is not for me but maybe you like it..

The games are so different that you cant even compare them...I would say if you like wow then go with Rift they are the same kind of game..TSW is something different than all the other games out there.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

With RIFT you'd basically have to be 50 (or 60 now I suppose...) to enjoy the game to its fullest. Then the RvRvR pvp opens up (which is all zerg, but still fun), raiding, serious zone event participation, enough money to spend on the housing, etc. etc. There is a lot of variety in things to do, but the game doesn't really start before max level. Add some extra challenge by getting into zones that are over your level (this will actually make leveling not as easy) :)

For TSW I can say it indeed is different than all I've played before. Very fun questing and the theme is well-done as well. I didn't play it too long though (a free weekend), so I cannot comment on it all.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149
    Originally posted by delete5230

Not sure about TSW

It's hard to play with others as you go from quest hub to quest hub, and must be on the same quest line to play with others....This game should not be an mmo unless you like to play solo with others around you....If your a social group type player you will find that you cant keep friends as you have to match quest.

Seriously, THIS post is the biggest crap I have EVER read about Rift. Quest are optional in Rift, my friend, plus you can share them with your friends - as you can do in oher MMOs.

In fact, Rift offers a lot of options in order to group up with other people. Remember: Everything is optional, decide yourself how to level up! You can join instant adventures and invasions, you can do rifts,  you can do battlegrounds, you can do dungeons, you can do global events - and at every point I have mentioned here you can automatically join a group/raid. And yes, even with your friend in a group.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I've played and enjoyed both games, But they are quite different. it all depends on what your looking for. However both are good choices.

TSW has a horror theme in a present day setting, The skill wheel offers total customization allowing you to make the build your exactly looking for. TSW is a cut scene mission game. TSW limits your skills to 7 actives and 7 passives

Rift is a fantasy theme and setting, Theri soul system isn't as customizable as the skill wheel  however it still does offer more choice than most MMO's on the market.  Rift is a text box that reads specific quests to you. gives you as many action bars as you want.

Honestly im a TSW player, i love the game and am never going to give up on it. Rift is good aswell and i was planning on reinstalling it when it go F2P.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Did you play WoW and enjoy it?

If yes then go with Rift.

TSW has some intriguing features like a great story voice acted mission givers and investigations.  Combat is not the greatest in comparison to normal themebpark MMOs like WoW or Rift.  But it does have a lot of customization.  But the customization does have it's limits since one needs synergy in their build.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466
    as others have said, both are solid choices. personally I'd lean more towards TSW because high fantasy bores me to tears, and TSW's investigation missions are the best thing to happen to the industry in the last 15 years....but Rift is a pretty good game nonetheless
  • duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95
    both are not great, but TSw is pretty terrible technically. hell, game might not even launch for you.
  • TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Abrraham
    Originally posted by delete5230

Not sure about TSW

Seriously, THIS post is the biggest crap I have EVER read about Rift. Quest are optional in Rift, my friend, plus you can share them with your friends - as you can do in oher MMOs.

In fact, Rift offers a lot of options in order to group up with other people. Remember: Everything is optional, decide yourself how to level up! You can join instant adventures and invasions, you can do rifts,  you can do battlegrounds, you can do dungeons, you can do global events - and at every point I have mentioned here you can automatically join a group/raid. And yes, even with your friend in a group.

Just last night, I was questing and closing rifts.  There was a big group of people running by.  I clicked the "join adventure" button and 15-20 of us ran around the zone doing the instant adventure stuff and getting big bosses to pop for about 2 hours.  I would have to agree that Rift offers excellent grouping options and even some nice raiding options for below cap characters. 

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

If you dont own rift, go try and grab the free Rift + Storm legion xpac offer from raptr to get you started off.

Other than that, Both are solid choices.  TSW is very unique in setting and overall experience, and the writing and dialogue is some of the best ive seen in a mmo. 

I havent played Rift since the xpac came out, but it was a solid themepark game.

Originally posted by Derros

If you dont own rift, go try and grab the free Rift + Storm legion xpac offer from raptr to get you started off.

Unfortunately the Raptr offer is already gone.   imageimage

• Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Originally posted by Wylf

They added more keys...

Originally posted by Afro-Thunder
    Originally posted by Wylf

They added more keys...

Yep, you are correct. 3000 plus new keys.  Thanks.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I like both games. No reason to just choose one. Play both if you can. If not, just choose either. You can't really go wrong.

• kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72

RIFT was horrible, it was just another WoW clone. I mean genuinely and actually a clone, I think they tested on sheep before trying it on these two games.

However, TSW has somewhat of a different way about it than most, you should NOT choose TSW if you are looking for something like WoW. It is difficult, it can be frustrating, it does not give significant advantage to higher geared players, and pretty much everything can kill you. If you like a challenge then TSW will present one to you. Also, if you like research you will LOVE TSW. "B" is the shortcut for the browser, you'll need to remember that.

RIFT is fun, but that's about it. It is super straight forward and there is virtually no depth to it.

Between the two I would pick TSW for its puzzles, killing, and somewhat effective stealth implementation. (If it isn't facing you, then there is a good chance it won't spot you.)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect
    I honestly thought Rift was one of the worst MMO's I've ever played. Go with TSW.

I found TSW to be one of the worst MMO's I've ever played.  Rift is not a bad game, I just couldn't stick with it after so many years of WoW.  TSW is cheap now though, if you're into that sort of game.  But again, Rift is free.  My answer is obvious.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

If you want something different and love quality story, cut scenes and dialogues with heavy focus on story telling, puzzles, investigation etc. and world and theme that has not been done before..go with TSW.

To put it simply..TSW is a thinking mans game.

You can get it for very cheap now and honestly, for those who appreciate good story telling would love the quality of this game. The missions in this game are just the best i have ever played in any MMOS to this date. The quality of sound, music, dialogues and cut scene put SWTOR to shame.

On the other hand if you want something closer to WOW..then RIft is a safe bet.

Both games are very different in their approach though and depends more on what kind of MMO gamer you are.

But if i have to recommend one out of the two for you..i will say TSW. it really is a very unique game.

• EsuarfeeeeEsuarfeeee Member UncommonPosts: 91

thanks for all the input guys. i've read all of your opinions and what not. 

i would probably go for TSW for the money, and if i get bored in the long run, i guess ill give rift a shot. 

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect

I found TSW to be one of the worst MMO's I've ever played.  Rift is not a bad game, I just couldn't stick with it after so many years of WoW.  TSW is cheap now though, if you're into that sort of game.  But again, Rift is free.  My answer is obvious.

TSW was horrible for me , I just couldn't get into it .  Wasted my money buying it imo .

RIFT I got at least 6mths  of fun out of it till my end game raiding guild fell apart and I just couldn't be bothered finding a new guild since I was a tank .

I made about 5 level 50's in RIFT that's how fun it was . 2 of them were warriors .

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

If you want the same ol same ol ..then go Rift

if you want something unique,go TSW

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    I think both are good games and suggest taking advantage of the Raptr deal on Rift and then buy TSW cheap and play that also.Rift is ftp June 12 and TSW is btp.With the Raptr deal you can play both fairly cheap :)

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark