Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hmm NCsoft

itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I was watching this title with earnest but then the advertisement said NCsoft. Not a good sign.

After the fiasco of failed promises, poor economy, the lack of the profits being poured back into the game, and the continued fail system that only harms the players not the bots (who long ago switched to gathering instead of killing mobs) my experience with GW2 end game showed me exactly what NCsoft or should I say Nexonsoft was really about.

Because they completely screwed their open world pve gamers (you know the audience everyone was complaining about them catering to both pre and post their new dungeon focus in November, and the audience they marketed to exclusively for 7 years prior to launch with things like DE's metas jump puzzles and the promise of any gameplay type leading to the same end game, yeah that. )

I've decided to wait 6 months into any game launched by them to see how things go. If I find the slightest evidence of loot manipulation and a single currency where conversion from RL money is the only means to do anything in the title while reading their forums, nope not spending a dime one.

Just here to warn folks about what happened to many of us in GW2 another title by NCsoft and why we're extremely cautious now. 

Comments

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

Sometimes i am confuse at these people. When they choose an mmo to buy , they tend to prioritize these  factors ;  What company developed it , whose publisher and its payment model

I tend to go on this question on my checklist ; " is it going to be fun?" or" am i going to have a good time playing the game in long haul ?". Weird huh? maybe i am just noob. 

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    They have hired not fired more people, and are gearing up for an expansion. Pretty sure that cost money. Saying they aren't putting money back in is baseless in light of these to factors. 
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by ipeka

Sometimes i am confuse at these people. When they choose an mmo to buy , they tend to prioritize these  factors ;  What company developed it , whose publisher and its payment model

I tend to go on this question on my checklist ; " is it going to be fun?" or" am i going to have a good time playing the game in long haul ?". Weird huh? maybe i am just noob. 

nononononononononononono

publisher and investors are the most important things. Gameplay? Developers? Vision? Content? Features? Screw that, why should I care ...

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I actually didn't used to. I was one of the ones that didn't care who made it so long as they made it the way they said they would, no funny business, just do what you preached prelaunch. Nope didn't happen in this one and whats sad is they said they made all kinds of money in the first quarter there's no excuse they could have done way better with the way they handled the management of the game. 

So now I'm leery, why is that a crime. It's called learning from my mistake. Apparently everyone thinks is the players fault or mistake that these companies are mishandling their problems or ignoring them entirely or going so far as bait and switch, it's not. It's a crime in some places.

Won't be doing that again.

Can see there's a whole buncha people missing the point here. 

the publishers ultimately control the money flow, when the money flow is cutoff or if the economy of the game is in question (especially in the situations where Shops are involved) the publishers have ultimate control over content and loot due to cost.

That's what happened to GW2, and people can make it seem like it's baseless all they want, what it really is, much to their sorrow is bad business practices. It's okay tho I know this is difficult for many of you to accept that there are businesses out there that don't deliver what they promised prelaunch, heck many of you probably don't even recall what they said in their prelaunch interviews I'm sure.

Anyway that's what this thread is about. Hopefully those who buy and enjoy this title won't be swindled by the swooping down of the Nexon hawk post launch. (crosses fingers)

• donky101fadonky101fa Member Posts: 4

It baffles me how little you know and yet pretend to know so much.

Arenanet are the ones who made Gw2. Gw2 is how it was made to be by Arenanet not NCSoft, and according to Arenanet Gw2 is exactly how they want it to be. I mean seriously your claiming a game with a major update EVERY month is not getting money from its publishers? Are you kidding?

Thats a faster pace of updating and more content than almost any other MMO out atm and your complaining that they don't have money to do anything. Its stupid and you don't know what your talking about.

Gw2 is exactly how Arenanet wanted it and NCSfot has actually been very kind to Arenanet and given them a lot of freedom to make a game far different than any other game out right now

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

GW2 has seen all sorts of new content added and fixes since it launched, it's actually amazing. It's far better than most MMO's in a lot of aspects. I mean yea it's not my cup of tea in some areas, the lack of a trinity and the weird endgame (it does have an endgame, just not a traditional one) mean I'm playing it casually here and there while I wait for Wildstar. And I think many who are not playing GW2 anymore, or only play it casually, feel the same way I do - that some basic aspect of the game design is not quite what they had hoped. But I haven't seen anyone complain about how it's managed, where money is going, or any lack of content, because there is simply nothing lacking there. They've done what they said they wanted to do and more.

As for Wildstar, they seem to have a similar freedom when it comes to developing their game which is refreshing to see. And the Executive Producer of Carbine, Jeremy Gaffney, was previously an executive at NCWest before he joined Carbine Studios, so he has a better relationship with them from what I can tell. There's honestly no reason to worry. If we start to see shit hitting the fan than we can start to bitch about NCSoft and I'll be right there with you. But right now it seems to be fine.

Originally posted by itgrowls

Can see there's a whole buncha people missing the point here. 

the publishers ultimately control the money flow, when the money flow is cutoff or if the economy of the game is in question (especially in the situations where Shops are involved) the publishers have ultimate control over content and loot due to cost.

That's what happened to GW2, and people can make it seem like it's baseless all they want, what it really is, much to their sorrow is bad business practices. It's okay tho I know this is difficult for many of you to accept that there are businesses out there that don't deliver what they promised prelaunch, heck many of you probably don't even recall what they said in their prelaunch interviews I'm sure.

Anyway that's what this thread is about. Hopefully those who buy and enjoy this title won't be swindled by the swooping down of the Nexon hawk post launch. (crosses fingers)

You were preaching under the assumption that wildstar's payment model is going to resemble gw2 which is b2p and no monthly subscription, and btw we haven't had confirmation on its payment model yet .

So if wildstar is going p2p like WoW , would your argument be a baseless fear ?

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161

I would be interested to see the source for this as well.

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

Originally posted by donky101fa

Arenanet are the ones who made Gw2. Gw2 is how it was made to be by Arenanet not NCSoft, and according to Arenanet Gw2 is exactly how they want it to be. I mean seriously your claiming a game with a major update EVERY month is not getting money from its publishers? Are you kidding?

Thats a faster pace of updating and more content than almost any other MMO out atm and your complaining that they don't have money to do anything. Its stupid and you don't know what your talking about.

Gw2 is exactly how Arenanet wanted it and NCSfot has actually been very kind to Arenanet and given them a lot of freedom to make a game far different than any other game out right now

NCsoft controls where the money goes guess you didn't catch that part, that's how the business works they choose how much money Anet gets from the pool that Anet contributes to,

Secondly LS is hardly a major update, go to the main forums and to youtube you'll see plenty of other people complaining about how crappy and how little the amount of activities there are to do in the game right now even with the LS patches every month and how quickly that content is done, 1 day for even the most casual of players. That's not major and it's not what they promised the game to be prelaunch. But I guess you forgot that too. Some of us actually remember their prelaunch interviews :)

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    This is one of the better publishers, some people are just ******
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I was watching this title with earnest but then the advertisement said NCsoft. Not a good sign.

After the fiasco of failed promises, poor economy, the lack of the profits being poured back into the game, and the continued fail system that only harms the players not the bots (who long ago switched to gathering instead of killing mobs) my experience with GW2 end game showed me exactly what NCsoft or should I say Nexonsoft was really about.

Because they completely screwed their open world pve gamers (you know the audience everyone was complaining about them catering to both pre and post their new dungeon focus in November, and the audience they marketed to exclusively for 7 years prior to launch with things like DE's metas jump puzzles and the promise of any gameplay type leading to the same end game, yeah that. )

I've decided to wait 6 months into any game launched by them to see how things go. If I find the slightest evidence of loot manipulation and a single currency where conversion from RL money is the only means to do anything in the title while reading their forums, nope not spending a dime one.

Just here to warn folks about what happened to many of us in GW2 another title by NCsoft and why we're extremely cautious now. 

Well at least you're not on a GW2 hate parade. Should I use this quote to address your post about how you really like GW2? I mean, what better a way to show your love for a game then to avoid other games because they have the same publisher.  And here I thought you were holding a meaningless grudge. Oh silly me.

It's not meaningless nice try tho. It's called producer no put money in game ugh, Understand now?

They made all this money not a dime went back into GW2.

And this isn't about just one game it's about the idea that corporations can just bait and switch people all day long and idiots will still spend money on their products even as they are getting ripped off. So there are some of us who have a sense of community enough to go onto places like this and post the experience we've had with publishers so that other people can be more leery about them.

I'm not saying this game will be as bad, but I'm not trusting of NCsoft to find it's way out of a wet paperbag at this point, yeah that's how bad their management is.

How do you know it didn't go back into GW2? Are you an NCSoft board member? Or do you think corporations are just bad?

They actually pointed that out in their own Q1 report. Guess you missed that one too. So much misinformation from so many people. It's been pointed out by Dontain as well another player like me that's been invested in this game (because we both purchased the thing) and who's also angry about what they've been doing this whole time with the funds.

The thing is supposedly making big time money.

Here's an example of how they could fix one of the major issues. So people have been raving about how fantastic it is that you can finish a few of the achievements on the southsun content and get the backpack without  including the PVP-esc aspects of crab grabbing, and without doing pvp of any kind. There's a bigger more important achievement that they could have done this too months ago if this is truly their new plans for it but apparently it's not been approved and it's the same exact thing, exploration achievement. Exploration is typically never a pvp activity and even Aion was big time ridiculed because they forced players to do pvp for basic functions of the game.

This basically shows a complete disregard for the players they originally based most of their sales off of by attracting us to the game (that's how I'm different from Dontain I am not a dungeoneer) by basically completely ignoring us and putting crappy temporary content into the game. They could have easily made the change if they were truly going to make the game about choices of play, and repair their reputation with my demographic, by fixing world exploration achievement and adding 5 permanent DEs and 1 permanent meta per month because as their interviews suggest, making metas and DEs are very cheap very quick under their methods.

So it begs the question, where'd the money go? there other games, this NCsoft redirected the funds away from GW2.

You know it's so funny how people try to destroy the obvious by claiming the poster has no idea what they are saying. It's called detective work, you look at the evidence you put two and two together and you see what's happening even when people don't want you to see it.

Dontain went over some of the things people said to him in his video talking about the details of the issues with GW2 and they sound just like the nonsense people have thrown at me. If you can't have a grownup conversation about the issues without name calling, you really shouldn't be here.

I love the ones where I'm told I haven't played when I was one of the ones logging into headstart, or that I'm just a hater and I've never experienced the game so how could I possibly know, or that the evidence isn't there when it's right there in the Q1 report, or how they've added content but they leave out that the content was neither what they advertised it would be nor is it anywhere near the amount that placing monthly DE's and Metas on a permanent basis would be in this game. Those are always fun.

I got the same reaction with SWTOR when I kept telling people they weren't doing as well as they claimed when all the signs where there. 

I just hope that people are more cautious because this was my experience with this title and people need to know, I'm hoping it wasn't NCsoft but as the term Leery suggests, suspicious. 

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    I liked GW2 for what it is but I didn't enjoy Aion, only two games I played NCSoft published.  Ill reserve judgment until the game is launched.

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by donky101fa

ArenaNet is NCsoft. NCsoft owns them. Like Bioware is EA. EA owns Bioware. Now NCsoft gives ArenaNet some autonomy, but at the end of the day, they are part of and answer to NCsoft. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

You seem very hurt by GW2, and blame it on the publisher....did they do something bad to you in some way?

Right now GW2 is doing bi-monthly content updates, up from their monthly ones just a few months ago.  These updates provide plenty of things as far as story, PvP content, WvW content, free in-game items, balance, and so much more.   Plenty of people enjoy and LOVE the content, sure others hate it too (can't please all the people all the time).   The last few pieces of Living World content have focused much on outside world PvE content for players to experience (and the upcoming content too).

The only people I've seen personally jaded by the Gem-to-Gold conversion are either those that cannot afford to do the conversion that they'd like, or those that want to grind for the sake of cornering the market on something.

As for something I'll clarify right now that you seemingly lack in understanding:  NCSOFT IS NOT THE DEVELOPER OF THIS GAME.   

Sure NCSoft will make some decisions as far as the financials of the product, they won't when it comes to actual content within the game itself.  Those are designs made by the developers themselves.

P.S.  What "promises" are you assuming that A.Net didn't live up to? What are you so jaded about that they did or didn't do  in the game?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

NCSOFT murdered many games that I loved at one point, thats why I care.  Same with EA.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I too am skeptical of NCSoft.  I did give them the benefit of the doubt with GW2, though.  Had fun with that game for a bit.

I doubt Wildstar will satisfy what I want out of an MMO, but I'm watching it.  The fact that NCSoft is behind it makes me even less likely to spend any money on it, TBH. 

And for you people who don't seem to understand the concept of a consumer choosing how to spend his money based upon the businesses behind the products available in a given market... eh, I actually have nothing to say.  It's simply absurd to criticize people for choosing to use their power as a consumer.  If you want to overlook such things, go right ahead.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

I am not going to comment on the game in any form because I do not play it, but I will say this to the miss-informed. Arenanet used to be solely owned company, but lacked any publishing department and funding for it. So they went and sought out NCSoft who in turn became there publisher. Eventually NCSoft saw a good thing, and invested within Arenanet and now do own part of the company. This can clearly be seen by there investment portfolio. Does NCSoft control what Arenanet does? Yes and NO. NCSoft has given full development over to Arenanet because they know they can do there job well and have done so over many years. Do they control the money that comes into Arenanet? NO, because NCSoft is investors and publishers. All NCSoft does is take there publishing cut, usually around 30%, and move on. Any other funds comes solely from there investment. Investing doesn't mean you control the game. Only that you have some say so on the board of investors which usually deals with upper management and making sure profits stay up and not down. 

So in a nutshell for those who do not like to read and need a one liner:

NCSoft does nothing to GW2 but take there publishing cut.

Arena.net takes the rest and is in full development control over GW1/GW2 and any other game Arena.net decides to make.

Think were done here, and just a lil side note. All this was covered back before launch when NCSoft became there publisher. Did you people quickly glance over that thread, because I still remember it and I don't even play the game.

Originally posted by Chrisbox

NCSOFT murdered many games that I loved at one point, thats why I care.  Same with EA.  

I care too. and just love these posts from people trying to make it seem like they didn't promise anything prelaunch, hundreds of videos posted on youtube many of which posted by Aerowyn in these very same forums about that stuff go look it up yourselves spsssh (not you Chrisbox).

Oh and when you look those up you'll see that I was once a fanboy of this game, that's how far they've fallen.

• romelloromello Member Posts: 34

think of PWE,

still confused? must be noob ~_~

hallo ~_~

Originally posted by romello

think of PWE,

still confused? must be noob ~_~

You are saying if you saw a trailer of game that's soo godly good , you tried the beta and found nothing but the desire to have this game . Then you found out the game publisher is an evil company of something like EA-PWE-NCSOFT combined together, you wont buy that game?

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    So I wanna know then who would you prefer as a publisher? EA? Gameforge? Perfect world? Seriously all publishers are evil, honestly NCsolf is one of the better ones! 
  • TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Sometimes I think there is a topic like this for every game, for every developer/distributor.

There will always be a few people who have had problems with a developer or distributor in past games.

• DoobysnacksDoobysnacks Member Posts: 17

And, there will always be the people who get shat on over and over again and yet keep going back for seconds, thirds and fourths. Unfortunately, those are the people we have to thank for the current state of MMOs and games in general. Any time someone tries to mobilize a community to make a stand, in order to have nice things and hold companies accountable to their promises, out come the responses like, "if the company is making you mad or the Devs are killing it for you move on its that simple.  You will be replaced by someone else" or "they're working on it, be patient." Or, my favorite, "I'm having fun and that's all that matters." I hear it's fun to shootheroin too but that doesn't mean it's good for you or worthwhile to purchase.

"We either accept absolutely everything our overlords do, and worship it, or leave.  But never, ever try to rally a community to stand behind positive changes because that's just stupid.  If you succeed, the product might actually be better and SCREW THAT.  Its far easier to use the global economy to produce 10 new suckers than to make 1 existing customer happy, so why try to improve a product?

That..... Or..... the players of these games could get a bit more organized and present their case for positive changes.  If players would stop seeing each other as the enemy and agree on a few things universally, maybe we'd see a better product, yes?"

We are going through a period where people are becoming increasingly distrustful of game companies, and rightly so. Those are not the people holding back game development  from moving in a positive direction...it's the apologists, the deniers, and the oblivious who are doing the most harm.