Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] WildStar: The Settler and Scientist Paths Detailed

Comments

• TsathogguaTsathoggua Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Senadina
    I don't understand the problem some people have with Wildstar's telegraphs. Many recent action oriented MMOs are utilizing the same system ( Neverwinter springs to mind, as does a certain ARPG still in beta). And yet Wildstar is the only one getting this heap of anger about it. I'm baffled.

While i didn't like it at first, mechanically it makes sense. With an action-based game you have to be able to tell what's going on. Sometimes with the camera angles in a MMO that can become difficult. Although none of the more difficult content has been shown, I am hoping that the telegraphs are either A. less forgiving or B. more subtle. While I would prefer to have to watch the enemy rather than the ground, I see why that's not feasible in all situations.  

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Talmien

I'm not sure why the article talks about paths and their ability to fight... paths don't have anything to do with combat, thats what your class is for. At least according to the dev speak video just released.

So it seems silly to say that a scientist has long range attacks with low damage... that would be the class determining that.

That was a mistake on Blake's part.  Edited text should now be live.  He's less familiar with the game that we are (but lives in SF and was able to attend for us), and wasn't in the know about how Paths are unique from Classes.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick or anything.  But, did anyone even take a second look at this article before he posted it?  Wildstar is a huge game and large group of players are currently following it.  It just seems a bit unprofessional to be so uninformed.  

Otherwise, I love the site and check it daily.  Thank you for all your hard work.  Please take what I said as constructive.  I don't plan on leaving over it.  Just expect the usual hard work you guys put in. 

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by tiredjadedgamer

I do agree that this will have mass appeal, because it's just Sci-Fi WoW, with player housing and hawt bunny eared girls (Have a guess at which race will be played the most? )

Now if Wildstar had Neverwinter Online's approach to combat, rather than the whac-o-mole hot button system, then I would keep playing my beta account. I played an hour and got the WoW heaves, and left!

Honest question.  Are you saying Wildstar is tab target combat like WoW is?  It really doesn't look that way in the gameplay videos.  I was expecting something like a mix between Tera and GW2.  Could you elaborate a bit more about the combat.  What class you were playing and whatever details you are allowed to share.  Thanks in Advance.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    The more info they put out on this one, the more interested I get.  Wasn't all the interested before. 
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Tsathoggua Originally posted by taus01 Originally posted by dgarbini I appreciate what they are trying to do, I really do.  I think some of the different play style mechanics are nice.  However I just cannot get past the art style.  This was the same problem with WOW.  I know WOW is a hit and it must just be me, but if they would have brought the art style in a different direction I would have been much more inclined to get on board with the project.  At this point I just cant.  Why do I even mention this, honestly I think the art style is going to be their biggest hurdle to 'appealing to MMO players across generes'.
      I do hate the wow art style but somehow, even though this style is very similar, it has a certain quality and it looks damn funny. Nothing in wow makes me smile just looking at a characters animations. This however does. I am a sucker for Craig McCracken cartoons.
    I have trouble understanding why some people find this unattractive. It may simply be a matter of personal preference, but I think that a well-animated stylized game is better than an uncanny realistic one. 
    Ditto. It's not so much that I don't like a realistic animation and art style, but there are limitations with developers ability to actually achieve a good result. With a stylized approach it's much easier to get a good result.  
    I continue to find it a double standard when people use this defense for the ridiculously childish WOW copy graphics when the forums were in an uproar for SWTOR doing similar 'stylized' cartoony graphics for the same reasons...who wanted more realistic graphics..so whatever.

Fetch quests, exclamation points, quests nobody cares about, hand holding AOE circles, NPCs that stand around doing nothing, oh boy...originality at its best...can't wait.

I may even whip out my 10 year old gaming pc and put away my 2 1/2 year old gaming beast since having any sort of midrange or higher PC won't improve the unrealistic look of this game. SIgh, now back to playing Witcher 2.        

o.O

Liking or not liking stylized graphics is a subjective preference, nothing more. It doesn't need defending. The non subjective part comes in with how well developers are able to execute each method. It's harder to pull off a more realistic look. Instead of looking more realistic, things end up looking weird. It's easier to create stylized graphics, so developers are more likely to do a good job with it.

I would think the answer to not liking stylized graphics would be not playing games with stylized graphics. Problem solved. Now you don't have to deal with it. I'm surprised you didn't come to that conclusion yourself. You could even take further steps and play games that don't have stylized graphics.

Finally, of all the things that were issues with SWToR, stylized graphics weren't one of them. I'm sure there was a vocal minority who obsessed over the graphics, but most players did not, and probably didn't give the graphics a second thought, other than thinking neon was cool.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Still so very very interested in this one, thanks for info!

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by taus01
    Originally posted by dgarbini
    I appreciate what they are trying to do, I really do.  I think some of the different play style mechanics are nice.  However I just cannot get past the art style.  This was the same problem with WOW.  I know WOW is a hit and it must just be me, but if they would have brought the art style in a different direction I would have been much more inclined to get on board with the project.  At this point I just cant.  Why do I even mention this, honestly I think the art style is going to be their biggest hurdle to 'appealing to MMO players across generes'.

I do hate the wow art style but somehow, even though this style is very similar, it has a certain quality and it looks damn funny. Nothing in wow makes me smile just looking at a characters animations. This however does.

I am a sucker for Craig McCracken cartoons.

I actually see no difference in WOW and Wildstar in terms of looks. Although, obviously in 2013 WIldstar would look a bit better but over all i don't see any major differences. When i first saw Wildstar video i was puzzled because i thought it was a video from barrens map.

So yes i find it very doubly standard to hate WOW for cartoon graphics and call it childish and then praise Wildstar in same breathe.

Fact is that it is just cool to hate WOW and people are just hugely biased towards it. And using its art style to hate it has become such a cliche over the years that when same people praise WIldstar for it looks it is bound to raise some eye brows.

• AshenFangAshenFang Member Posts: 21

A lot of people are putting way too much focus on the Paths, Just, ignore them for a moment, and think of a normal MMO. You have your classes, all your standard quest hubs and things to do, places to see.. ..everyone will have things to do in the world, see, interact with..just like a normal MMO.

With the Path system, they have expanded upon that a good measure though. A lot of optional side quests and things to interact with have been put into the world for your Path to interact with.. Just because you are an Explorer, doesn't mean you'll never get to Build, Learn about Lore, or fight things.. you just don't build as much that is specifically made for a Settler, etc. 

All the standard content is there, with extra tossed in for whatever Path you choose.

An example of this is one of the gameplay videos you can watch, has an Aurin(Bunny chick) Esper, who happens to be an explorer, when she enters an instance near the end of the zone, she has the option to go off on a side mission up a hill that others typically wouldn't be able to, and activate a beacon, calling in some snipers to shoot from the ledge over the enemy soldiers she'll have to be fighting through below.  Where as alternatively, if you didn't want to bother, you'd just fight your way through the soldiers, blow up the large guns, and make it to the end as normal.. while I've yet to see any other Paths move through the area, they no doubt have their own unique content to interact with.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

"a lot of casual side quests for more melancholy players"

i do not think this word means what you think it means...

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• seiryynseiryyn Member UncommonPosts: 18

While I get some folks' reluctance to play a game with "cartoonish" graphics, I don't get the adamant refusal to at least try the game out. What was your first MMORPG? Wasn't it the most fun you have ever had, and aren't you forever trying to recapture that, cycling through these new games? Don't you look at old screenshots and grunt a "WTF" at the screen?

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by chelan

No, he got it right. Side quests for all the depressed players out there...

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by chelan

I feel sad tonight so maybe I'll find those special quests just for me...

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    So how long do these structures that Settlers build last? How about the repairs, how soon before they break again? Because if they don't, the game world is going to be filled with their stuff.
  • n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Combat is not going to be whack-a-mole... well it is and it isn't.

Positioning in basic combat is important, one of the most fun parts of fighting raid bosses in most games. Whack-a-mole combat would assume you walk up and push a rotation out in order to achieve the highest form of damage. Positioning based combat that assumes you are going to be using the most superior ability for the situation and angle is not Whack-a-mole. You also choose your abilities a la spells in EQ and everything in Guild Wars 2. Limited bar and what not applies here, so each player will potentially have a different set.

It is however, still a hot-bar game that seems to be the industry norm. There aren't games that aren't hot-bar. Even LoL where a large number of abilities are skill shots, is technically a hot-bar game.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

People said WoW looked like a cartoon...

This game looks beyond a cartoon.

If anyone who said that WoW looked too cartoony and plan on playing this and are fine with the graphics.Please insert your foot in your pie hole.

• srpssrps Member UncommonPosts: 121

It bothers me a little that this game doesn't seem to look better than WoW currently, which is mostly dated by now.

It's not that it looks bad, but it seems strange that the general texture and model quality appears similar to the WOTLK + Pandaria ones.

If I get into beta, I'll be sure to compare them.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

I'm not sure why the article talks about paths and their ability to fight... paths don't have anything to do with combat, thats what your class is for. At least according to the dev speak video just released.

So it seems silly to say that a scientist has long range attacks with low damage... that would be the class determining that.

That was a mistake on Blake's part.  Edited text should now be live.  He's less familiar with the game that we are (but lives in SF and was able to attend for us), and wasn't in the know about how Paths are unique from Classes.

is he getting paid to go? If so, then he should prep more. its a job, nonetheless. And these mistakes can happen but when he does not even know about classes vs paths, it makes the article seem less credible if its from a perception that is not well tuned for analysis. that also means he did not read up on the game, or followed it at all.

thnx for the update, but the internet is about user created content that is abundant and free, and offering content that is wrong as free vs content on other sites that is correct as free and in abundance, is not good for traffic and therefore not good for business.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Graphics look like crap I will be trying the game if it is F2P however.

I am however tired of Generic Games that have Classes, and Paths its annoying, and boring I want to see more games like DarkFall & EVE that have no paths you can activate and switch paths/skills at any time kind of thing.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I hate wow

Will wildstar appeal to me?

Doubtful since its made by some of the same people that made wow, has wow style graphics and is directly going for the WoW player base, still its not released and what we know is far from complete so its possible you might love it

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Incomparable

is he getting paid to go? If so, then he should prep more. its a job, nonetheless. And these mistakes can happen but when he does not even know about classes vs paths, it makes the article seem less credible if its from a perception that is not well tuned for analysis. that also means he did not read up on the game, or followed it at all.

thnx for the update, but the internet is about user created content that is abundant and free, and offering content that is wrong as free vs content on other sites that is correct as free and in abundance, is not good for traffic and therefore not good for business.

Now, now if he actually knew something about what he was reporting on it would ruin his chances of ever becoming a Fox news reporter. Wouldn't want that now would we? ;)

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by tiredjadedgamer

I do agree that this will have mass appeal, because it's just Sci-Fi WoW, with player housing and hawt bunny eared girls (Have a guess at which race will be played the most? )

Now if Wildstar had Neverwinter Online's approach to combat, rather than the whac-o-mole hot button system, then I would keep playing my beta account. I played an hour and got the WoW heaves, and left!

Rreally?  That would kill the game IMHO.  Neverwinter's combat and entire control scheme feels like it was designed for a console and ported to PC keyboard and mouse.   Movement  and dodging needs to be much more responsive if it is going to be core to gameplay.  In WoW when you move or activate an ability it happens immediately.  When it comes to responsiveness I haven't played a game as good as WoW.(and I'm not even playing anymore)   If Neverwinter is able to get that kind of responsiveness instead of feeling like combat animations are slowing everything down it will do ok, either way as Neverwinter is now is not something to shoot for.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

I'm not sure why the article talks about paths and their ability to fight... paths don't have anything to do with combat, thats what your class is for. At least according to the dev speak video just released. So it seems silly to say that a scientist has long range attacks with low damage... that would be the class determining that.
    And you'd be wrong.

Paths have something to do with combat. Each in their own way.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    The path system seems very interesting. I will keep an eye on the development to see if it turns out to be more then just a gimmick. I hope it turns out to have enough depth.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by tank017

People said WoW looked like a cartoon...

This game looks beyond a cartoon.

If anyone who said that WoW looked too cartoony and plan on playing this and are fine with the graphics.Please insert your foot in your pie hole.

People just love to hate WOW. Using its art style and graphics against it was just an excuse as you can see that very same people don't mind playing Wildstar now and are actually praising how it looks.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I hate wow

Will wildstar appeal to me?

Another question to answer your's.

Did you like what you have seen so far about Wildstar? the answer to that its your answer to the prior question too.