Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lotro, once a great game destroyed...

Comments

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Thenextbigthing
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

LotRO was never a great game.

Middle Earth Online was a great game, made by passionate innovative devs.

LotRO was the result of scrapping most of the good content and dumping out a cheap WoW clone. The only real good aspects of LotRO are leftovers from MEO's development.

It was only a matter of time.

Have to agree with this, if it was so great it wouldn't have been a ghost town and had to go f2p.  But I agree with the analysis of the cash shop.

LOTRO didn't go f2p because it was a ghost town,. It went f2p because DDO made so much money with its transition that they wanted to try the same thing in LOTRO.

And though MEO might have fit my preferences far more than what Turbine has done with LOTRO, no one knows how well a finished product MEO would have done or how it would have worn over the years.

We just have to think about it. Singleplayer centric WoW clones have all, over the last 8 years, shrivelled up and died.

The only MMOs in recent years that have grown or remained stable, are more open ended sandbox games.

MEO would have done quite a bit better than LotRO in the long term I think.

And yes, LotRO went FTP because of the huge lack of population.

DDO was already a dead game for years before it went FTP, there was nothing to lose on that gamble. Once it worked, why not use it to revive a just MOSTLY dead game? DDO didn't "make so much money". It went from making almost nothing, to something. That still doesn't mean a ton of money.

Quite possibly the most stupid thread of posts I have ever read on here. You think lotro has shrivelled up and died? It's 6 years old and still going strong, there are plenty of players on Laurelin where I play. Lotro wasn't a ghost town and still isn't, unlike TSW and ToR after only a year. I really wish people would actually engage brain, do some research or even maybe play the game before spouting off on here. I will probably get banned again, but that's because mmorpg doesn't care about people lying on here.

Bye

That poster hates everything non sandbox and is unable to admit games like LOTRO, EQ2, and WoW are good games that arent aiming for him.  Just as I can admit that EvE is a great game I have no deisgns of ever playing.

As to how dead LOTRO is, I played a few hours last night and did a who 45-55 (I was playing a level 50 toon) and it returned 100 results, the max amount.  there may be some slow servers, but the game is certainly quite active.

As for the whole reason why LOTRO went f2p, it still had an active population (more people than currently play Rift for instance), however the lifetime subs bit them in the ass and a good deal of that population wasnt paying.

Well said. If you want to find out what a game is like, don't bother reading the threads on here, play the game.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I started playing LOTRO for a week and people overall in the game were rude and telling me to shut up that I just need to solo. I dont get why people play MMOs to solo the entire game.  That is what single player games are for and they cannot seem to get the idea behind a multiplayer game.  This is one of these mmos that should just shut down and become a single player game.  
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

Danwest, what server are you playing?

I play on Withywindle and the worst I met was silence (just because some were afk, some - slaying some orcs, some - harvesting or dating that nice Elf). No rude answers ever.

The truth is, some quests, like "Retake Weathertop" are best if soloed. Some content is intended for solo or 2 people group. And speaking on solo - I wish you visit Angmar, once end-game territory. It's a land of fellowship quests and sometimes you may need very strong players by your side. Some things in Lotro just can't be done solo.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

As for the whole reason why LOTRO went f2p, it still had an active population (more people than currently play Rift for instance), however the lifetime subs bit them in the ass and a good deal of that population wasnt paying.

(I snipped the long convo, sorry)  This. And I guess Sovrath wrote it as well earlier.

LotRO had decent population back then (true, with an unusually high % of them lifetimers, much more than in other games, and they weren't pay a dime beside the expansions) and only went f2p because DDO's f2p switch was a huge success - in the sense of a dying game got revived and started to make profit just from the switch. So LotRO's switch was a strictly money decision. Actually a lot of posters on the forum opposed the change, saying it will ruin the game :)

Originally posted by Lithuanian

I play on Withywindle and the worst I met was silence (just because some were afk, some - slaying some orcs, some - harvesting or dating that nice Elf). No rude answers ever.

Withywindle is a nice one indeed. It was the new f2p server at the f2p launch on Eu side, we had a few awesome months on it... A brand new world, no high-level alts to help with mats and crafted stuff and gold, as you level with others for the first time you meet a huge crowd everywhere around you, kinships formed, homesteads were purchased so kins moving in together...

Felt like a fresh, new game, only this time you knew the ropes. I use to say since then, more games should launch new servers in every 1-2 years to shake up the playerbase :)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Lotro had one great things going for it, Roleplaying.  The vast majority of Roleplayers played Lotro.  Rift stole some of these people though.  I know of at least 100 friends that went from Lotro to Rift when Rift was launched and the few months after.  I've noticed the Roleplayers migrating from Lotro and Rift to Neverwinter now, since most of us used to play other D&D games.  I've ran into people with the names of thier lotro character, and I asked them if it was really them.  Most of them turn out to be the lotro player lol.  I know that about half my kinship on lotro left when Neverwinter came out.  We still log on to play music and dance around and roleplay, but we don't really play it anymore.  Neverwinter is where it's at now for Roleplayers...as long as you turn of Zone chat...I wish they had an official RP server :(
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

There are rp'ers left in LotRO too I guess :)

It's offtopic, but in Neverwinter (so I heard) Mindflayer is the unofficial rp shard - not that it would matter much, since when they manage to solve the rubberbanding and lags and other hardware optimization, the plan is a single server world like in the other two Cryptic games.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Po_gg

There are rp'ers left in LotRO too I guess :)

It's offtopic, but in Neverwinter (so I heard) Mindflayer is the unofficial rp shard - not that it would matter much, since when they manage to solve the rubberbanding and lags and other hardware optimization, the plan is a single server world like in the other two Cryptic games.

Yeah, I heard that they're planning on putting everyone on one super server or something at the "launch"...even though it's already launched imho lol.

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Lithuanian

I understand OP may be frustrated with slayer deeds (my own "slay 150 Linfavrn in Evendim" is far from being finished)

Lol I wanted to claw my eyeballs out on that one, but I did finish it!

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Lotro just like wow had its best days back with the first xpac. MoM era was amazing. Sure it was a small community but it was a FANTASTIC community. Everyone helped each other. Kins focused not on raids or progression but on helping people. I still remember a couple members of my kin helping me with crafting and deeds for a whole weekend.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• caelachcaelach Member UncommonPosts: 113

Played this from the start of f2p until the Rohan exp came out. I was pretty burned about the Isengard exp and vowed to not funnel any more cash into this game.

At this point I can not bother with this any more because fools are at the helm of the ship. But for somebody new I suspect it's worth playing to the higher levels. I just wouldn't put any cash into it if I were them. Looks every bit like a dying game. (I suspect the WB/Tolkein lawsuit might be putting a damper on any big plans for this as well.)

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by The_Big_Boss_61

The Lord of the Rings online, made by Turbine a great mmo game is now a joke. Everything is pay 2 win now. New expansion announced. Only questpack LOL no raid/group content whatsoever and they said they will not work on it because raiders are minority of the playerbase. So they sell a questpack for $40-70, add 10 more levels and call it an expansion...

Game already has abysmall pvp, and now raids,6 mans,3 mans are gone. And people in Lotro forums are extremely rude. When people say 'what the hell why only solo content with the last 2 expansions?' fanboys call them haters,whiners etc...

Community manager bluntly told everyone instances/raids and pvp are not their priority in fact, they won't add any more of them anymore. What a joke.

Long story short; if you ever heard of this game and want to try out, be warned. This is one of the grindiest mmos out there. Also if you happen to start, you will have to pay huge amount of money to unlock basic things like traits, gold cap etc and pay for overpriced expansions without any endgame in the end. LOL no endgame at endgame, how about that :) And fanboy excuses are they never liked or did any group content so they prefer solo expansions more.

Also game support is lacking and also rude. I heard someone wanted to cancel their preorder. When Turbine said no he told them he will sue them if they don't. Turbine threatened to ban his account if he tries to get his money back via his legal rights...

Game is 6 years old now and what left of the old players are leaving one by one. They make their goodbye speech on forums also why they think the game is going down, only to get vomitted over by fanboys saying stuff like 'good grief,just leave already whiner' ...

My advice, don't even bother with this game. If you are fan of Tolkien, read the books, watch the movies, play other Lotr games but stay away from this one...

Now compare this cash shop to the one at 'Neverwinter'.

You really do talk a lot of rubbish ;)

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by The_Big_Boss_61
    I'm just saving people time and money if they are considering Lotro...

You can't preach it enough. It's sad to see what this game has become.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Spaceweed10

Neverwinter has less pay to win and no gated content. Was that the point you were trying to make?

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    Although I would agree that this is a p2w thread, the way the game feels now compared to the very beginning is just insane!!! I know I know, "blah blah the beginning was so much better" but really, how do you go from Shadow of Angmar to what it is now...>?
  • ildqueildque Member Posts: 5

n many ways, it’s the best implementation of the free-to-play idea yet. It works because the game is willing to give away a huge amount of the adventure before ever asking for any money. When it finally does, the price is right. The new tiered pricing system gives players more choice. If you’re planning to play once or twice a week, the quest pack system is a good value alternative to a monthly subscription, while the £10 a month VIP fee offers just enough to keep dedicated players interested. The revamped Deeds system even makes the game more absorbing, adding an extra layer of reward to every zone, and right now the world is absolutely packed with adventurers. There’s never been a better time to grab a goat and ride into Bree.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

So I just came back and I'm reading this thread here. The first thing I noticed right away is his logical fallacy that somehow raiders aren't a minority. Uhm yeah they are they've been a minority since 2005. The times are changing man get over it.

solo is the way to go, besides you can get 2-3 mans going in skirmishes and they scale whereas you don't  have to deal wiht what happens in games like GW2 right now where if you're not wearing what everyone says you should or you're not specced they way they want then they are rude and kick you often in the same dungeon after the first boss, yeah that's how my experience has been with dungeoneers and raiders. let's make it clear who the rude people really are here.

(responding to the community managers post) sounds like they know what they are doing, adapting to fit their audience's needs.

lots of people pay by paypal cancel the payment and wonder why companies ban their account. it's the only way companies can stop this behavior.

this game is based solely off the books, not the shows or movies so this game's lore is fine. Sure it has some older game concepts like quest hubs and nonvocal events but it's still good for what you actually have to pay for it (nothing btw).

It also was one of the first pioneers in making it possible to earn in game shop currency to buy things from the store for free. I love that,

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Spaceweed10

Neverwinter has less pay to win and no gated content. Was that the point you were trying to make?

yeah exactly what in the store do you absolutely have to have in Neverwinter to play the end game and gear up or enjoy the foundry? sheesh some people.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

Waited on the Lotro boards a year before the game came out and maintained a founders sub for years after the game came out only to be disappointed time and time again. I pvp'ed 90% of my time in Lotro and the complete and utter lack of "promised" additions and improvents to pvp never came. In fact, it got so much worse when monster play became pay-2-win.

I absolutely love Lotr , which is why I casually played a mediocre game so long, but the cash shop and development direction (idiotic) has already dug the whole for Lotro's demise.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • nosam9nosam9 Member Posts: 21

Lotro is ok if you want to try it out for cheap - but I agree with the OP. Turbine is letting the game get worse and worse. I play it and have watched it over the last few years. No there are so many bugs and performance problems (so much lag). They are not investing much in the game any more and expansions are tiny for $40 with no instance content! Not worth it at all for a new player who will have to buy all the expansions - pay $80 or more for a pretty bad game. Combat bad, AH bad, bag space and items bad, only the early zones, Moria and scenery is good in the game.

If anyone plays a lot of MMOs they will quickly see how bad this game is compared to WoW or Rift. Only the story and scenery is good in Lotro. The game is failing big time. But Turbine has its new game to work on - so they don't really care.

• SxHxIxFxTxYSxHxIxFxTxY Member UncommonPosts: 21
    ^^ What new game is that?
  • nosam9nosam9 Member Posts: 21

New game is Infinite Crisis (IC). They have moved staff to this game from Lotro, and for a few years have slowly taken off any senior developers away from Lotro. There may be another game they are making and have not disclosed in addition to IC.

Players wanted a good IC (instance cluster) the last 2 expansions, but instead Turbine was busy making a different IC.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    LOTRO was pretty cool back when it was Pay to Play.  LOTRO didn't have the best graphics or gameplay, but something about the game pulled me in.  I don't know if it was the story, setting or just well crafted environments, but it all felt very immersive.  Anyway, it just doesn't have that feel anymore.  There are too many barriers everywhere and you feel compelled to spend money if you want to advance.  I've heard that you can earn stuff for free if you want to spend hundreds (thousands?) of hours farming it though.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Many problems with LoTRo can be solved by paying a monthly fee. I think Free to play is a rip off, In MMO's Free is never free. 

Just pay the 9.99 a month (Per three months) and be done with it. 

You pay less money with a subscription fee than you do by playing free.

EDIT- If you have never played LoTRo, play the Shire for free and see if you like it. You can get to around level twenty without needed to pay a cent. After that, if you enjoyed it. I would recommend paying a subscription instead of being nickel and dimed by the free to play.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

I missed the WoW craze because I had this old-timer crotchety resistance to paying a sub fee. LotRO was the one that convinced me to break with that, and that was because of the lore alone.

Started out really good. It required teamwork to beat even low-level bosses. it was actually full of the "mm" in mmorpg. Then the soloers started whining and the devs caved. Then they went to Free-to-Suck which turned it into thousands of random dudes with their heads down and asking to team up got responses like you were asking for a kidney.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I started playing LotRO shortly after the SoA launch.

I've always loved Tolkien, so I was hooked in the very beginning. I didn't reach max level until a few months before the Moria launch, but I distinctly remember having lots of fun all along the way. The world was huge and mostly open, there were plenty of dangerous areas (my repair bills in Angmar especially were atrocious), and the game was just very solidly made. Then Moria came, and it was mostly awesome with the exception of the Legendary weapon system (there is NOTHING legendary about that massive recycling system). Then came the big Pre-Lorien patch which was...underwhelming, to say the least. The same was true for Lorien itself.

Then came Mirkwood, followed by the f2p transition. Awful. Dunland. Worse. Isengard. Atrocious. Rohan I didn't even bother purchasing, so I can't comment on it. All I know is that the last time I tried the game (a few weeks ago), even with a subscription they @#&;*ing store was popping up EVERYWHERE. It was completely obnoxious. I uninstalled without finishing my sub and didn't look back.

LotRO was once a great game, but that time was a long time ago.

<3

This discussion has been closed.