Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No World PvP? No Thanks...

Comments

• eiekaleiekal Member Posts: 16

I'm reading alot about griefing.

Would it be fair to say that those that don't want more aspects of pvp in the game wouldnt be against it if there was a way to minimize griefing in the game? 

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by eiekal

Would it be fair to say that those that don't want more aspects of pvp in the game wouldnt be against it if there was a way to minimize griefing in the game? 

I would say 'certain' aspects of PvP as opposed to more. I don't see ganking lowbies in their zone of progression open world PvP. It's just an allowance for bullying. The end result is that player having been picked on will, at max level return the favor.

This isn't a cycle worth repeating, especially if your game is trying to attract PvE oriented minded players.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Griefing occurs in these pve games like wow where they just flick a switch for "pvp" on some servers because there's bugger all else to do but greif.
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by ezduzit

I have to agree. PVP zones or arena have no place in a future MMO. It's part of the same old crap that is proven ineffective to the pvp community.

The DAoC model used in ESO for PvP is one well loved and reminisced by many hard core PvP fan. Myself included. They could not have picked a better PvP model IMO. Open world PvP everywhere mostly leads to two things. Players picking on low level chars and camping quest hubs. Or PvP groups spread out so thin you dont get much PvP action. All PvP focused on one big map means more large scale battles and removes the griefers. 

Yes DAoC pvp model was loved and missed by many since then. I think it is too early to put a thumbs down or thumbs up verdict on the pvp. One thing I know is it will be better than much of what is out there now. I for one like the concept of a massive zone for pvp. Open world pvp never was very affective in WoW, nor was the zone pvp (mostly because it was out leveled after so long).

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

The more tools you add to remove it the more you pull away from open world PvP and the more you alienate open world PvP fans. Same thing in the other direction, the more you make the PvE world a PvP park the more you alienate pure PvEers. So you have to pick what game you wana make. There is very little compromise or wiggle room. IMO I think ESO picked the best option with the DAoC PvP model. Pure PvEers get their space and no one can force them to PvP or wreck their immersion by killing their bankers a quest givers. On the other side PvPers get a giant map where they get to do what they enjoy. Wana kill quest givers, you can. Wana run a dungeon where at any min you can run into the other faction, you can. Really is the best of both worlds.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

The more tools you add to remove it the more you pull away from open world PvP and the more you alienate open world PvP fans. Same thing in the other direction, the more you make the PvE world a PvP park the more you alienate pure PvEers. So you have to pick what game you wana make. There is very little compromise or wiggle room. IMO I think ESO picked the best option with the DAoC PvP model. Pure PvEers get their space and no one can force them to PvP or wreck their immersion by killing their bankers a quest givers. On the other side PvPers get a giant map where they get to do what they enjoy. Wana kill quest givers, you can. Wana run a dungeon where at any min you can run into the other faction, you can. Really is the best of both worlds.

It is not open world pvp if there are factions with invisible magic rules making it so you can't attack your own faction. Pure pvpers dont want lame factions, that is for esport and other silly things. The gw2 (and daoc?) model is extremely boring, having a separate map or certain part for PVEers means its not open world at all.

Also you didn't respond to my previous post about factions: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5743909#5743909

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Griefing occurs in these pve games like wow where they just flick a switch for "pvp" on some servers because there's bugger all else to do but greif.

That's a good point for those that like a flag system for pvp.  Maybe for that specific situation, it could be changed by having the name of the person flagging for pvp FLASH red for a certain amount of time, before being fully flagged for pvp, so the lowbie has time to recall or get away?   Or would this not work?

I havent played wow since they put in bg's and my memory is crap so I forgot how most of the game worked so I have to ask, why is the lowbie flagged for pvp?

Well for the record, I for one, would be willing to have pvp level restrictions to protect lowbies from being griefed in the game if it allowed Elder scrolls to put in more pvp aspects into the game =D

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

That's a good point for those that like a flag system for pvp.  Maybe for that specific situation, it could be changed by having the name of the person flagging for pvp FLASH red for a certain amount of time, before being fully flagged for pvp, so the lowbie has time to recall or get away?   Or would this not work?

I havent played wow since they put in bg's and my memory is crap so I forgot how most of the game worked so I have to ask, why is the lowbie flagged for pvp?

In the first newbie zone, the lowbie is not flagged for PvP at all. The opposing faction may enter it but not attack players. Once the player hits somewhere like 20+ they enter zones that flag them automatically (if on a PvP server).

Not sure if it's still like this as I haven't played in a long while. But even at lvl 25, encountering a lvl 85 pr 90, there's is absolutely no chance to survive such an encounter even with stealth.

Well for the record, I for one, would be willing to have pvp level restrictions to protect lowbies from being griefed in the game if it allowed Elder scrolls to put in more pvp aspects into the game =D

And for other open world fans that would be a game breaker.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by kizan0601
    Too bad this game is going to end up just like swtor like someone else mentioned....for the open world pvpers....looks like Wildstar is going to gain a lot more players now.

and wildstar will not end up like SWTOR? unless you mean by having more people paying it a year after release than almost every other mmo does? in that case, i agree :)

oh and i lol'ed IRL when i read the last sentence in your post.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Until someone figures out how to make open world pvp encounters reasonable there is no place for it in a AAA MMORPG. Most MMORPG players want to make their own decision about how to spend their time in a game; as soon as you add open world pvp to an environment, players in-game experiences are no longer in their control. I want to pvp when I want to pvp, quest when I want to quest, explore when I want to explore, and be solo or in group as my mood decides. I don't play MMOs to be the unwilling participant in someone else's pleasure; I play for my own pleasure. None of that is possible in an open pvp world. And I am pretty sure that "most players" feel the same way. If Elder Scrolls is for "most players", then the developers are doing the right thing. 
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

I have to agree. PVP zones or arena have no place in a future MMO. It's part of the same old crap that is proven ineffective to the pvp community.

The DAoC model used in ESO for PvP is one well loved and reminisced by many hard core PvP fan. Myself included. They could not have picked a better PvP model IMO. Open world PvP everywhere mostly leads to two things. Players picking on low level chars and camping quest hubs. Or PvP groups spread out so thin you dont get much PvP action. All PvP focused on one big map means more large scale battles and removes the griefers. 

Yes, because GW2 did a great job at creating a zergy pile of skill less crap combat in WvW and it is very very very successful in making the people in WvW happy. Games that push zergs as much as possible, sucks.

Yup thats why when ESO comes out I will be playing ESO. Few reason why WvW is nothing but zergs. Almost no reason to defend and defending also has very little reward as well. In ESO you will have a Mega-dungeon like DAoC Darkness falls. In DAoC we used to rotate people in and out of Darkness Falls and defending keeps to give everyone a turn. Also ESO has made a huge promise of making defending have some very heavy rewards. GW2 gives you almost no reason to defend but ESO is already heading back to DAoC roots on making it well worth doing. Sure there wil be zergs in ESo as well but much like DAoC the organized PvP guilds knew how to deal with them and I have seen 20-40 players take out 80-100 players with skill. Like I said, if ESO is 75% of what DAoC was, ESO will be the best PvP game out now.

When was the last time y'all played GW2 or did you actually play? The zerg mentality is pretty much been gone out of PvP for months now.

People hold up DAoC as a beacon but please really remember how DAoC actually played and felt, at the time. Totally different with the nostalgia feeling y'all have for it.

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Why doesn't the OP just go to Cyrodil as early as possible then? You can go, and get bolstered, and PVE there while dealing with the PVP. All he wants to do is complain instead of utilizing the tools available in the game to get the experience he complains he can't have.
    Originally posted by Kuro1n

It is not open world pvp if there are factions with invisible magic rules making it so you can't attack your own faction. Pure pvpers dont want lame factions, that is for esport and other silly things. The gw2 (and daoc?) model is extremely boring, having a separate map or certain part for PVEers means its not open world at all.

Also you didn't respond to my previous post about factions: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5743909#5743909

Then maybe I should point out... your on the wrong forum. This game is designed with 5-6 years behind them with 3 factions and a AvA map much like DAoC. By your avatar you know very well AA is the game for you. ESO would need to be reworked from the ground up to make it a open world PvP game everywhere. Heck even the AvA map would be useless as its designed now. Its designed for 3 factions to fight over it. So like I said, your on the wrong forum.

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Yes, because GW2 did a great job at creating a zergy pile of skill less crap combat in WvW and it is very very very successful in making the people in WvW happy. Games that push zergs as much as possible, sucks.

Yup thats why when ESO comes out I will be playing ESO. Few reason why WvW is nothing but zergs. Almost no reason to defend and defending also has very little reward as well. In ESO you will have a Mega-dungeon like DAoC Darkness falls. In DAoC we used to rotate people in and out of Darkness Falls and defending keeps to give everyone a turn. Also ESO has made a huge promise of making defending have some very heavy rewards. GW2 gives you almost no reason to defend but ESO is already heading back to DAoC roots on making it well worth doing. Sure there wil be zergs in ESo as well but much like DAoC the organized PvP guilds knew how to deal with them and I have seen 20-40 players take out 80-100 players with skill. Like I said, if ESO is 75% of what DAoC was, ESO will be the best PvP game out now.

When was the last time y'all played GW2 or did you actually play? The zerg mentality is pretty much been gone out of PvP for months now.

People hold up DAoC as a beacon but please really remember how DAoC actually played and felt, at the time. Totally different with the nostalgia feeling y'all have for it.

Still actively playing. The zerging has calmed down some but there is still lots of zergs. Most battles are won by who has the most players. Im on a good server and some real hardcore WvWer and some great tactics are being used but sad to say most are how to deal with zergs lol. 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Nanfoodle Originally posted by eiekal I'm reading alot about griefing.   Would it be fair to say that those that don't want more aspects of pvp in the game wouldnt be against it if there was a way to minimize griefing in the game? 

you are absolutely incorrect, open world pvp isn't exclusive to FFA pvp. having factions or not is irrelevant.

"open world pvp" just means that you can attack someone in the open world rather than only in certain designated areas, has nothing to do with the ruleset.

and i don't give a crap what "pure pvp'ers" want. if you were a pure pvper you wouldn't be playing rpg's, you would be playing FPS or even RTS.

this is coming from someone who also likes pvp but FFA isn't the be all end all of open world pvp, its just one type of open world pvp.

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by eiekal I'm reading alot about griefing.   Would it be fair to say that those that don't want more aspects of pvp in the game wouldnt be against it if there was a way to minimize griefing in the game? 

you are absolutely incorrect, open world pvp isn't exclusive to FFA pvp. having factions or not is irrelevant.

"open world pvp" just means that you can attack someone in the open world rather than only in certain designated areas, has nothing to do with the ruleset.

and i don't give a crap what "pure pvp'ers" want. if you were a pure pvper you wouldn't be playing rpg's, you would be playing FPS or even RTS.

this is coming from someone who also likes pvp but FFA isn't the be all end all of open world pvp, its just one type of open world pvp.

Well said and 100% correct. 

Then maybe I should point out... your on the wrong forum. This game is designed with 5-6 years behind them with 3 factions and a AvA map much like DAoC. By your avatar you know very well AA is the game for you. ESO would need to be reworked from the ground up to make it a open world PvP game everywhere. Heck even the AvA map would be useless as its designed now. Its designed for 3 factions to fight over it. So like I said, your on the wrong forum.

Sadly I'm starting to believe AA won't be the game for me either. To much punishment for being a pirate. :(

Originally posted by baphamet
    Originally posted by Kuro1n

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Originally posted by eiekal I'm reading alot about griefing.   Would it be fair to say that those that don't want more aspects of pvp in the game wouldnt be against it if there was a way to minimize griefing in the game? 
    The more tools you add to remove it the more you pull away from open world PvP and the more you alienate open world PvP fans. Same thing in the other direction, the more you make the PvE world a PvP park the more you alienate pure PvEers. So you have to pick what game you wana make. There is very little compromise or wiggle room. IMO I think ESO picked the best option with the DAoC PvP model. Pure PvEers get their space and no one can force them to PvP or wreck their immersion by killing their bankers a quest givers. On the other side PvPers get a giant map where they get to do what they enjoy. Wana kill quest givers, you can. Wana run a dungeon where at any min you can run into the other faction, you can. Really is the best of both worlds.
    It is not open world pvp if there are factions with invisible magic rules making it so you can't attack your own faction. Pure pvpers dont want lame factions, that is for esport and other silly things. The gw2 (and daoc?) model is extremely boring, having a separate map or certain part for PVEers means its not open world at all.

you are absolutely incorrect, open world pvp isn't exclusive to FFA pvp. having factions or not is irrelevant.

"open world pvp" just means that you can attack someone in the open world rather than only in certain designated areas, has nothing to do with the ruleset.

and i don't give a crap what "pure pvp'ers" want. if you were a pure pvper you wouldn't be playing rpg's, you would be playing FPS or even RTS.

this is coming from someone who also likes pvp but FFA isn't the be all end all of open world pvp, its just one type of open world pvp.

Well open world has to do with factions also imo. Otherwise it is just faction PVP in either designated or nondesignated areas. Actually I wasn't the one who used the term first, I just repeated it because I don't think there is such a thing as pure PVPer or w/e. And yes I do play competetively in FPS games and also playing Darkfall which features FPS type combat that doesn't mean I don't like RPGs though because as I said, I'm not looking for some fair battle or esport type gameplay when im in an MMORPG, stats and such should be there just like zerging and elite clans... It's all part of the 'war'.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

There are plenty of other games  that will have your meaningless world pvp.

Wildstar for example.

PVP servers that have zero world pvp content at launch but instance pvp just like wow.

Edit: Dont take this the wrong way either wildstar fans. I am looking forward to it as well.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Punk999

Wildstar for example.

PVP servers that have zero world pvp content at launch but instance pvp just like wow.

Yeah not everyone can handle real PVP I guess. :)

WoW is a bad example, PVE game where they just smacked on PVP + it is faction based and casual.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Wildstar for example.

WoW is a bad example, PVE game where they just smacked on PVP + it is faction based and casual.

I dont mind this "Real pvp" My favorite MMO PVP is AC Darktide server and next would be shadowbane.

Theres no need for worldpvp if you dont lose anything when you die.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

Wildstar for example.

I dont mind this "Real pvp" My favorite MMO PVP is AC Darktide server and next would be shadowbane.

Theres no need for worldpvp if you dont lose anything when you die.

That we really agree on. It is silly with no penalities. I'm currently playing Darkfall, before that I played EVE and before L2. You lose something when you die in all of the games and not punishing players for playing bad is just stupid.

Lets step back a minute, guys. Pvpers are not the bad guys.  We arent irrational lug heads that just want to grief lowbie players over and over again.  I'm feeling that this is becoming a stereotype. 

In my view, the majority of pvpers know they can't get everything they want. Yes, some pvpers dont want to ruin the pvp immersion and allow level restrictions to protect lowbies which some would call griefing. But I think the majority would be fine with it in order to get a solid pvp game.  Do pve'ers feel they can't get everything they want?

With a zone for pvp, pvpers wont get everything they want.  Wont pve'ers get everything they want?  Who knows, maybe they'll put the best gear in dungeons in the pvp zone and pve'ers wont get everything they want.  A question I dont know the answer too is, will this game have instant raid zones that pve'ers wont be bothered by pvpers?

I think the game would do fine with open world pvp.  Alas, this isnt in the cards.  Remember, these threads are popping up because pvpers are disappointed in the direction the game is going.  Why are pve'ers crapping on these threads?  I'm thinking pve'ers are less willing to compromise than pvp'ers.  Pve'ers get to have their say so let pvpers have their say too.  Let the original poster voice his thoughts in this pvp thread and those of like mind post theirs. Remember, You pve'ers are the visitors in this thread.

A side note:
    I know ppl try to paint Eve as not being a AAA mmo and it's subjective with no standard definition on the web. I also realize that it's said that a AAA mmo is a MMO with 10% more subs than however many EVE has at the time.  But my subjective definition of a AAA mmo includes Eve.  Eve has shown that a mmo can be pvp orientated and survive the long run... a real long run and is still going.  Something the game makers need to take note.

P.S. This is all my opinion.  This should go without me saying but some ppl are thick =D

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Nan

Don't put up with gw2s exceptionally arcadey take on rvr.

Pm me and join me in ps2, it ain't at the daoc / ps1 level of rvr, but its a dam site better at it than gw2

I like gw2 pve though.