Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New WildStar path vids are up!

2»

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    They are making the explorer path look really special and making it stand out from the other paths so does that mean the other paths wont be as special like being a scientist?
  • DaGafferDaGaffer Carbine StudiosMember Posts: 62

Yes, you get path XP for helping other paths with their stuff (in addition to secondary benefits like access to extra mission targets, etc.). 

I.e. an explorer who helps with a holdout gets explorer XP, a soldier near the explorer who unlocks a hidden route up a cliff face ditto, etc.   Basically similar to how normal XP division works.

There's subtleties in different aspects of that; and during beta I'm sure it'll get tuned up, but the general concept is "reward fun stuff, then make sure that it's not exploitable"

Jeremy Gaffney
    Executive Producer, Carbine Studios (Wildstar Online)

• DaGafferDaGaffer Carbine StudiosMember Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    All four paths won't appeal to everybody. You clearly aren't interested in the Explorer path. This is on purpose, so by not choosing Explorer you won't have to do as much of that kind of content. Pick one that has the stuff you like to do then.

Actually early testing (years ago even) is that the paths tend to be polarizing - i.e. almost everyone has a natural affinity for one and one that they're like "you'd have to be crazy to choose that".  And we've tested the concepts on tons of people and keep getting that reaction.  Statistically it's a fairly even split about who chooses what in game; there are some deltas about which is most popular or not in a given patch.

We don't mind that at all :)

Jeremy Gaffney
    Executive Producer, Carbine Studios (Wildstar Online)

• TsathogguaTsathoggua Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by DaGaffer
    All four paths won't appeal to everybody. You clearly aren't interested in the Explorer path. This is on purpose, so by not choosing Explorer you won't have to do as much of that kind of content. Pick one that has the stuff you like to do then.

Actually early testing (years ago even) is that the paths tend to be polarizing - i.e. almost everyone has a natural affinity for one and one that they're like "you'd have to be crazy to choose that".  And we've tested the concepts on tons of people and keep getting that reaction.  Statistically it's a fairly even split about who chooses what in game; there are some deltas about which is most popular or not in a given patch.

Jeremy, it's nice to see you here on the forums. If you don't mind, I would like to ask a few questions. 

Will there be any special interactions that arise when individuals from different paths work together? Like can a scientist enhance a Settler's creations or analyze the body of a Soldier-specific baddie? 

There seems to be a tendency towards more impermanent structures for the settler. I can see why this is necessary and how it  encourages perpetual co-operation, but will there be anything a settler can do to permanently leave his/her mark on the world? 

Edit: Fixed name. Can't believe I screwed that one up. 

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

One thing I don`t get about settler is what if someone with settler path enters a zone, but every place is already built up?

Do settlements disappear or degrade over time?

What is there to stop like 500 campfires all over a zone with tons of setters trying to compete with each other to get players to use their stuff for exp?

Originally posted by Nihilist

One thing I don`t get about settler is what if someone with settler path enters a zone, but every place is already built up?

Do settlements disappear or degrade over time?

What is there to stop like 500 campfires all over a zone with tons of setters trying to compete with each other to get players to use their stuff for exp?

It is to my understanding that settlements need to be maintained. Structures begin to wear down, torches go out, etc... All of these are things a settler can fix. If you are not the first to get to an area, you can work with other settlers on big projects or work on maintaining things that are already built. 

While there is nothing stopping settlers from trying to directly compete with each other by placing down their campfires in the same place, I think common sense will eventually win out. A person next to a bunch of campfires can only benefit one of the Settlers. So we'll most likely see people placing campfires all around, I have already begun to work up some ideas on the best places. 

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Thanks. Good videos. The game looks like fun. Lets see how it plays.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    The vids are cool and pretty informative. The only problem I see is wanting three paths in one character.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I have no idea how this game will turn out  or if I'll play it but...that video was hilarious.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Tsathoggua

Jeffery, it's nice to see you here on the forums. If you don't mind, I would like to ask a few questions. 

Will there be any special interactions that arise when individuals from different paths work together? Like can a scientist enhance a Settler's creations or analyze the body of a Soldier-specific baddie? 

There seems to be a tendency towards more impermanent structures for the settler. I can see why this is necessary and how it  encourages perpetual co-operation, but will there be anything a settler can do to permanently leave his/her mark on the world? 

Nice questions, but his name is Jeremy :)

All of the paths are appealing to me. Going to eventually get around to having one character of each race too image

Originally posted by Eluldor

Nice questions, but his name is Jeremy :)

All of the paths are appealing to me. Going to eventually get around to having one character of each race too image

Gah, can't believe I screwed that one up, It says it in his siggy. @.;

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

All four paths won't appeal to everybody. You clearly aren't interested in the Explorer path.

Oh, but I am.

What I'm clearly not interested in is another game that installs 4000 jumping puzzles and calls it 'exploration'.

But I've been assured that's not the case this time.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I watched these with keen interest...

The humour is too heavy though. I mean it's a little bit funny but it's funny like Ben 10 is funny.. you know, cartoon funny. Doesn't look like a game for grown ups to me... it's immature. Which is fine if that's what someone is after, just not what I'm after.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Who ever is in charge of those video productions deserves some high fives,they are fun to watch.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Icewhite

All four paths won't appeal to everybody. You clearly aren't interested in the Explorer path.

Oh, but I am.

What I'm clearly not interested in is another game that installs 4000 jumping puzzles and calls it 'exploration'.

But I've been assured that's not the case this time.

I have to agree with that,i think most gamer's by now have done played most ideas so many times,we like to see something new and creative.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Who ever is in charge of those video productions deserves some high fives,they are fun to watch.

+1

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 175

Pretty much this.

I suggest someone take the Bartle test to determine where they might fit in.  http://www.gamerdna.com/quizzes/bartle-test-of-gamer-psychology

As someone who consistently scores 97%+ on Explorer I would heavily favor that path for Wildstar (if I choose to play that is).

Someone who favors Combat might look and say "hey Soldier looks like it is OP" when that person is planning on going another path will take the Bartle test and find out they are really are a Killer on the Bartle test.

I highly suggest if you've never taken it to do so, you never know you may come to find out that you have always thought you were one type of gamer and testing shows otherwise.  I know, I was that way 6 or 7 years ago when I found out I was an Explorer and the whole time I thought I was an Achiever.  Turns out Achiever was my lowest quotient LOL.  

SUP

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Achiever

Result Signature

is there any path that allows be to be uber leet player killer ?

• sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109

even though the graphics or art or whatever look outdated this sold me on it, i'll be keeping my eye on this.

it's close to what i've always wanted to be, a scientist explorer.

i guess i can play one of each.