Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Get What You Pay For

2»

Comments

  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,536Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by anexpor
    Gamers are becoming spoiled brats.  Myself included.

     

    I'm in that category as well.  I caught myself a little while ago losing interest in a couple games I was following simply because I saw a video of another game.  It was a fickle thing of me, and then I wondered where were the days when I looked forward to multiple games with intent to play them all and not just stick with one.  Though I guess with the F2P and B2P market I would only allow myself one monthly fee game (though not playing one at the moment) to play while partaking in all of those.  Though the days are ending when I even allow myself that one.

     

    But I guess people will continue to express "first opinions" in a way that is filled with bias; there's such a thing as responsible first impressions and ones that are just... well, this.  Though I guess that's an opinion in of itself and not indicative of the reality of most who think their thoughts must be law for all gamers.

    When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Harrisburg, PAPosts: 301Member
    Originally posted by DrDwarf
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

    The OP already made up his mind. He should just /uninstall and move on. Nobody will convince him that the game is fun, that the graphics aren't "that" horrible or any of his other complaints are due to not playing past the tutorial.

    How exactly have your posts convinced me or any one else with half a brain and at least a few pubic hairs that my impressions dont reflect the actual game?

    I played 40 mins on two chars and I have played years worth of time in  many many MMORPGs stretching over 15 years.

     

     

     

    Lol, you played 40 mins and you didn't get out of the starting areas?  It takes me a whole 5-10 mins to finish the starting area you are complaining about.  I am pretty sure what really happened.  You are one of those long time Tab Target players.  You play a new mmo with a different combat system (which you most likely fail at horribly) and decide within mins the game is bad becuse you fail at it.  Go back to WoW.  Thats what you were looking for in the first place.

    image
  • DrDwarfDrDwarf TeesidePosts: 475Member

    I played 3 characters through the unnamed "tutorial" if that tutorial ends when you get to the town.

    I never said this was a complete review, even a good one.

    It isn't my responsibility to spend enough time in a game like this to reach level 30 or 40 before allowing myself to comment on here or decide the game is rubbish.    

    For your 199 dollars founders pack .. you get a whole 3 extra characters if i,m reading it correcly   http://nw.perfectworld.com/founderspack/hero.     So thats 5 characters in total accross all servers after giving them the equvalent of a years subscription in a AAA mmorpg title.    Serious Fanboi territory if you are trying to defend that one, but be my guest.

    When I play MMORPGs I'm into, I don't have time to post on forums unless I'm recruiting for a Guild.  You lot seem to have plenty of time to come here yet appear to find the game worthy of your time.  That tells me something.

    Some of you may know, early impressions are important.   The early impressions of this game are not good in comparison to what has come before many many years earlier.

    I have a Z77 motherboard, i5 3570K processor and a HD 7950 graphics card, thanks.  The graphics in this game are rubbish for something produced in 2013.  The art work is horrendously generic.   It looks like a flash game i can play on a 3 year old tablet.

    I didnt find the inrto "emotional" it was generic pap.    Can I suggest testosterone replacement therapy.

    Being able to pick your homeworld and then being transported to the same ship wreck on the beach as every other character is ....pants.   It is meaningless to me.  The beach in Age of Conan was a lot better, so was the one in Tera.   

    there were 3 servers avaialble when I played today.  I saw 2 people in the " tutorials"i was playing through.   I saw about 30-40 players in town.

    The game is free , imo it ios worth that no more.  F2P is me offering a games company my time to play their p[roduct.  The deal is if I like it I may spend some money on it.   I wont be playing this game and they wont get my money.  

    I have an eight year old daughter who would find this game perfect.  She has such low expectations from an MMO but having said that she has played GW2 and seen SWTOR she may like this she may not.   We will see.

     

     

  • itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member
    Originally posted by evilastro
    A free to play hate post, this is both new and interesting.  

    and oh so well informed too.

    I lolled at the title. Guess no one understands what open beta means, pure example this weekend, they have an exploit they are still working out the bugs after the rollback, typical beta experience? Yep.

    We tried to tell folks what open beta meant. oh well.

  • DrDwarfDrDwarf TeesidePosts: 475Member
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by evilastro
    A free to play hate post, this is both new and interesting.  

    and oh so well informed too.

    I lolled at the title. Guess no one understands what open beta means, pure example this weekend, they have an exploit they are still working out the bugs after the rollback, typical beta experience? Yep.

    We tried to tell folks what open beta meant. oh well.

    And yet its an open beta where there will be no character/server wipe.    

     

    "I certainly hope it’s enough, I have a friend who didn’t get banned and still has LOADS of ad after the markets went nuts."  http://mmogrinder.net/2013/05/17/neverwinter-episode-43/  comments section.   

  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,098Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DrDwarf

    First impressions...

    It is pants.  

    Graphics are rubbish....feels completely childish

    Character creation is terrible ....

    Waste of time mobs ... got no xp for killing mobs just quest completion (I think)  all chars rip through mobs in starter zones in a truly meaningless way.   Sure it has to be easy but this was pointless.

    2 Character slots only on free version (over all servers) .. barely any more with paid founders packs costing £40-120

    No drops from mobs or at least very few so .. forget gearing up by grinding option - at least in starter zone ..

    Feels claustrophobic already

    Is there any reason to play this game over others out there with much more class ?  

    First off, "It is pants"?  If you are going to insult it, at least try something that makes sense.

    Now to discuss your problems in the game.

    Graphics: Graphics aren't important.  Its thinking that they are that keep games like COD in business, all flashy visuals and no substance.

    Character creation: Severely limited compared to previous Cryptic titles, but still more than what you get in games like WoW

    Mobs: Well of course they are supposed to start out weak and get progressively stronger.  That's game design 101.

    Character slots: Oh boo hoo character slot restriction.  Just go buy more slots or create a new account and use that for extra character slots

    Drops: Sometimes you get nothing, sometimes you are swamped with loot.  You were just unlucky.

    Reasons to play: Well I can name several.  For starters an intuitive hotkey system that puts your utility skills closer to your fingers than most other MMOs, the Foundry, the fact that its freakin' D&D, and so on and so forth.

     

    Originally posted by DrDwarf

    Perfect World brought something new to the table and was worth playing for a few weeks at least.    Tera, GW2, SWTOR all had something new or were worth playing , again for at least a few weeks.

    This game appears to have ...nothing ..

    It is on the surface .. embarrassingly bad

    You just pointed out everything that is wrong with your review.  You were only talking about stuff that was "on the surface".  You didn't bother reviewing (or experiencing) the meat of the game.  You just played the game for 5 minutes, made up your mind, and made this lackluster innacurate review, didn't you?

     

    Originally posted by DrDwarf

    Actually. no I shouldn't.   If I don't get any excitement from 20 mins play ....why am I going to invest my valuable time trying to find  it.    

    The opening animation sequence is dire as well.  

    The graphics and character creation wont get any better after the tutorial will they ?

    The mobs look like collage cut outs being animated towards me on at 12 fps

    I haven't even been told in game I'm in a tutorial or a starter zone.

    I have no idea about the world I am in .. cos the map is crap.

    Here's a thought: turn the graphics down if your fps is that low.

     

    Originally posted by DrDwarf
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

    The OP already made up his mind. He should just /uninstall and move on. Nobody will convince him that the game is fun, that the graphics aren't "that" horrible or any of his other complaints are due to not playing past the tutorial.

    How exactly have your posts convinced me or any one else with half a brain and at least a few pubic hairs that my impressions dont reflect the actual game?

    I played 40 mins on two chars and I have played years worth of time in  many many MMORPGs stretching over 15 years.

    Because we have seen "reviews" like your litter these forums, going on about how "game x sucks" without an ounce of evidence backing up any claims.  Reviews like yours aren't even worth a dime for a dozen.  Besides, all the people who have reviewed the game properly have made compelling arguments, and most importantly played enough of the game to reflect the actual game.  Playing for 40 minutes isn't enough for you to determine if a game is good or bad, and anyone who thinks otherwise has no business reviewing games.

    Since when is Tuesday a direction?

  • silverreignsilverreign Whitehouse, TXPosts: 401Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by DrDwarf
    I played 3 characters through the unnamed "tutorial" if that tutorial ends when you get to the town.I never said this was a complete review, even a good one.It isn't my responsibility to spend enough time in a game like this to reach level 30 or 40 before allowing myself to comment on here or decide the game is rubbish.    For your 199 dollars founders pack .. you get a whole 3 extra characters if i,m reading it correcly   http://nw.perfectworld.com/founderspack/hero.     So thats 5 characters in total accross all servers after giving them the equvalent of a years subscription in a AAA mmorpg title.    Serious Fanboi territory if you are trying to defend that one, but be my guest.When I play MMORPGs I'm into, I don't have time to post on forums unless I'm recruiting for a Guild.  You lot seem to have plenty of time to come here yet appear to find the game worthy of your time.  That tells me something.Some of you may know, early impressions are important.   The early impressions of this game are not good in comparison to what has come before many many years earlier.I have a Z77 motherboard, i5 3570K processor and a HD 7950 graphics card, thanks.  The graphics in this game are rubbish for something produced in 2013.  The art work is horrendously generic.   It looks like a flash game i can play on a 3 year old tablet.I didnt find the inrto "emotional" it was generic pap.    Can I suggest testosterone replacement therapy.Being able to pick your homeworld and then being transported to the same ship wreck on the beach as every other character is ....pants.   It is meaningless to me.  The beach in Age of Conan was a lot better, so was the one in Tera.   there were 3 servers avaialble when I played today.  I saw 2 people in the " tutorials"i was playing through.   I saw about 30-40 players in town.The game is free , imo it ios worth that no more.  F2P is me offering a games company my time to play their p[roduct.  The deal is if I like it I may spend some money on it.   I wont be playing this game and they wont get my money.  I have an eight year old daughter who would find this game perfect.  She has such low expectations from an MMO but having said that she has played GW2 and seen SWTOR she may like this she may not.   We will see. 
    lol. as far as how many people u saw u do realize that there r several "instances" of each map. so just because u saw 30-40 people in town doesn't mean that's all the players in the town on that server. u really need to learn more about a game before posting a "review".
     

    image

  • DrDwarfDrDwarf TeesidePosts: 475Member

    There is a lot of flashy "substance" in this game from the limited bit I saw.     I especially love the sparkly trail leading me through the linear gameworld which I can turn off if I want to put myself at some disadvantage with those that dont.

    Exaggerated spell animations, casters standing toe to toe with melee mobs and surviving wave after wave of them whilst casting.

    If you think I have played mmorpgs for 15 years and don't know the difference between good gameplay and graphics .

    The gameplay offered in the tutorial X 3 was pants

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pants    

  • WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Maybe you should get past the tutorial before raging about the game. Just a thought...

    Thats the first thing that came to my mind as well... ^^  I have a level 48 GWF and a level 13 TR. I'm quite enjoying the game.  EXP and drops are about whats typical of these types of games.  I've even had some blue drops.  The graphics aren't bleeding edge, but then they don't need to be, for the game to be enjoyable to me.

  • winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon

    Op you should actually try and get out of the tutorial area to judge it. As others have said you do get exp from killing mobs and you do get most of your gear from drops. I'm guessing you haven't even gotten to blacklake yet. Basically consider the first 10 lvls the newbie or tutorial one can get to lvl 10 in about a hour.

     

        Neverwinter does have its problems but lack of exp or loot drops is not one of them. Personally I find the level too fast and most of the loot just clutters my bags till i can sell it. If a do juast the dailies at lvl 38 I level (ie 1-2 pvp matchs, a daily dungeon and a foundry or skirmish) Its reeally hard not to out level content in from my experience. Fortunately the foundry quests scale to ones level.

  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,098Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Maybe you should get past the tutorial before raging about the game. Just a thought...

    Thats the first thing that came to my mind as well... ^^  I have a level 48 GWF and a level 13 TR. I'm quite enjoying the game.  EXP and drops are about whats typical of these types of games.  I've even had some blue drops.  The graphics aren't bleeding edge, but then they don't need to be, for the game to be enjoyable to me.

    Just a thought, but what if making graphics good is a bad thing?

    I know this might sound crazy, but hear me out.  Games with good graphics are beautiful (most of the time), but what happens when graphics become too good?  Well computers with more processing power, better graphics cards, and stronger cooling systems are required, and all of these drive up the price of the computer, with better versions of each costing more and more.  So when graphics get to a certain level, you need an extremely expensive to computer to run the game at minimum settings, and an even more expensive computer to run the game at higher settings, and not everyone can afford such computers.  "Bad graphics" can make a game less pretty, but it makes it far more accessible, and even a game with bad graphics can have excelent art design that makes you forget about the graphics level.

    Since when is Tuesday a direction?

  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Harrisburg, PAPosts: 301Member
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by DrDwarf

    First impressions...

    It is pants.  

    Graphics are rubbish....feels completely childish

    Character creation is terrible ....

    Waste of time mobs ... got no xp for killing mobs just quest completion (I think)  all chars rip through mobs in starter zones in a truly meaningless way.   Sure it has to be easy but this was pointless.

    2 Character slots only on free version (over all servers) .. barely any more with paid founders packs costing £40-120

    No drops from mobs or at least very few so .. forget gearing up by grinding option - at least in starter zone ..

    Feels claustrophobic already

    Is there any reason to play this game over others out there with much more class ?  

    First off, "It is pants"?  If you are going to insult it, at least try something that makes sense.

    Now to discuss your problems in the game.

    Graphics: Graphics aren't important.  Its thinking that they are that keep games like COD in business, all flashy visuals and no substance.

    Character creation: Severely limited compared to previous Cryptic titles, but still more than what you get in games like WoW

    Mobs: Well of course they are supposed to start out weak and get progressively stronger.  That's game design 101.

    Character slots: Oh boo hoo character slot restriction.  Just go buy more slots or create a new account and use that for extra character slots

    Drops: Sometimes you get nothing, sometimes you are swamped with loot.  You were just unlucky.

    Reasons to play: Well I can name several.  For starters an intuitive hotkey system that puts your utility skills closer to your fingers than most other MMOs, the Foundry, the fact that its freakin' D&D, and so on and so forth.

     

    Originally posted by DrDwarf

    Perfect World brought something new to the table and was worth playing for a few weeks at least.    Tera, GW2, SWTOR all had something new or were worth playing , again for at least a few weeks.

    This game appears to have ...nothing ..

    It is on the surface .. embarrassingly bad

    You just pointed out everything that is wrong with your review.  You were only talking about stuff that was "on the surface".  You didn't bother reviewing (or experiencing) the meat of the game.  You just played the game for 5 minutes, made up your mind, and made this lackluster innacurate review, didn't you?

     

    Originally posted by DrDwarf

    Actually. no I shouldn't.   If I don't get any excitement from 20 mins play ....why am I going to invest my valuable time trying to find  it.    

    The opening animation sequence is dire as well.  

    The graphics and character creation wont get any better after the tutorial will they ?

    The mobs look like collage cut outs being animated towards me on at 12 fps

    I haven't even been told in game I'm in a tutorial or a starter zone.

    I have no idea about the world I am in .. cos the map is crap.

    Here's a thought: turn the graphics down if your fps is that low.

     

    Originally posted by DrDwarf
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

    The OP already made up his mind. He should just /uninstall and move on. Nobody will convince him that the game is fun, that the graphics aren't "that" horrible or any of his other complaints are due to not playing past the tutorial.

    How exactly have your posts convinced me or any one else with half a brain and at least a few pubic hairs that my impressions dont reflect the actual game?

    I played 40 mins on two chars and I have played years worth of time in  many many MMORPGs stretching over 15 years.

    Because we have seen "reviews" like your litter these forums, going on about how "game x sucks" without an ounce of evidence backing up any claims.  Reviews like yours aren't even worth a dime for a dozen.  Besides, all the people who have reviewed the game properly have made compelling arguments, and most importantly played enough of the game to reflect the actual game.  Playing for 40 minutes isn't enough for you to determine if a game is good or bad, and anyone who thinks otherwise has no business reviewing games.

    There's no point in trying to logically speak with this person.  Sorry kid.  Its not our fault you can't be bothered to spend more then 5 mins on a game.  They do have meds for ADD now.  Thought you might wanna know.

    image
  • VaporsVapors Fr.Posts: 407Member Uncommon
    Oh damn so many of my friends changed their game, and i am alone in my current game. LETS fast flame the game on forums, they may return?!?!?!
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAPosts: 1,536Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by DrDwarf

    <snip>

    Because we have seen "reviews" like your litter these forums, going on about how "game x sucks" without an ounce of evidence backing up any claims.  Reviews like yours aren't even worth a dime for a dozen.  Besides, all the people who have reviewed the game properly have made compelling arguments, and most importantly played enough of the game to reflect the actual game.  Playing for 40 minutes isn't enough for you to determine if a game is good or bad, and anyone who thinks otherwise has no business reviewing games.

    There's no point in trying to logically speak with this person.  Sorry kid.  Its not our fault you can't be bothered to spend more then 5 mins on a game.  They do have meds for ADD now.  Thought you might wanna know.

     

    It may be our fault to expect people to know the difference between a responsible first impression and one that is littered with bias and quick to jump to conclusions.  Sadly, I don't think it is against any forum rules other than intentionally causing dismay for a variety of reason (at least when they actively respond).  Everyone has had a say with regards to the original post, and the original poster has had his.  At this point I'd agree that trying to ask for such things as relevance, evidence and an unbias/responsible first impression in the future that doesn't provoke a flame war to be unrealistic.  It may be at this point just as harmful as starting a new thread on something that's been discussed to oblivion and bash it without ample reasoning or exposure.

    When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

  • lolunaticlolunatic Mesa, AZPosts: 108Member
    Originally posted by evilastro
    A free to play hate post, this is both new and interesting.  

     

     

    I've probably seen that same one-liner used in a little bit different variations about 5 times on these forums. ROFL.

    Your both new and interesting to arent you?

     

    And to the OP, its a cryptic game. what did you expect? a good experience?

  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards TokyoPosts: 778Member
    Originally posted by DrDwarf

    First impressions...

    It is pants.  

    Graphics are rubbish....feels completely childish

    Character creation is terrible ....

    Waste of time mobs ... got no xp for killing mobs just quest completion (I think)  all chars rip through mobs in starter zones in a truly meaningless way.   Sure it has to be easy but this was pointless.

    2 Character slots only on free version (over all servers) .. barely any more with paid founders packs costing £40-120

    No drops from mobs or at least very few so .. forget gearing up by grinding option - at least in starter zone ..

    Feels claustrophobic already

     

     

     

    Is there any reason to play this game over others out there with much more class ?  

     

     

     

     

     

    I didn't pay anything and i maxed out my character and got nice gear from PVP. If i wasn't jumping between various MMOS i would have got full glory PVP set.

    So nope you don't always get what you pay for sometimes you get a lot more without paying anything.

  • PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,288Member Uncommon
    the OP isnt exactly wrong imo, Neverwinter is lacking in a lot of respects, i walked away from the game after getting to 30 with a guardian fighter, and 14 with a priest, in the process i spent £10 on the game in real money, i don't consider it as being wasted exactly, but i do think i paid vastly over the odds for what i got for it, which in effect was a gloomwrought longsword that at level 11, was an extremely powerful weapon to have, and came out of the very first nightmare box i unlocked, but the gameplay was too repetitious, there was no real feel of there being any kind of challenge at all, and by the time i got to 30, i'd just got tired of doing the same thing over and over again, just in a different area. I might come back to the game if its still going, later this year, or maybe next year, although the gameplay just isnt challenging enough, even when i switched my pet cleric out for a pet dog, i wasnt really in any danger of dying, and i never needed other players, although i did join several groups, just to see how the game felt in a group, which tbh, wasnt really any different to playing solo, as the amount of communication in the game seems to be zero, even when in a group, it seems people just can't be bothered to talk. Maybe in 6 months the game will be a bit more interesting? image
2»
This discussion has been closed.