Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: All About Paths

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The WildStar site has been updated with brand spanking new information about the Path system in the game. Players will be able to choose from Soldier, Explorer, Settler or Scientist paths, all of which are brilliantly explained in great graphics and a pair of terrific videos.

What is the difference between a class and a path?

Picking a Class is choosing the way you like to fight. Are you a gunslinger, a squishy healer, or meatshield? Picking your Path is choosing your playstyle. Do you like to explore dangerous places, kill enemies, or study things? Make a choice, and we'll make sure you get lots of what you like.      

Check out the full explanation on the WildStar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    This game just gets better and better.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I am beyond pumped now.  Scientist here I come
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Will players actually fail in this game? That's news to me ;)

I like the idea, for sure. It will be interesting how this all pans out...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Imagine if our world map only consisted of what the explorers have mapped out so far
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    Imagine if our world map only consisted of what the explorers have mapped out so far

would be quite the revolution ... since we had that in 97 in UO ;)

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Azoth

Touché

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ErlijusErlijus Member UncommonPosts: 96

Agreed, this looks very promising. I wrongly thought of Wildstar as another pure themepark MMO when it was first announced (was it 2 years ago already?), but the more I read about it, the more interested I am. Sure, the core seems to stay themepark-ish, but with enough side content to make it very interesting.

Looking forward to trying it!

• dappa360dappa360 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Me wants badly need summit like this
  • tiredjadedgamertiredjadedgamer Member Posts: 4

Paths?

More like, "Pick your XP treadmill"!

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    And the over hyping has begun.
  • TsathogguaTsathoggua Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    And the over hyping has begun.

Hype can be a really dangerous thing sometimes. While it can help create publicity for a game, it can also lead to the development of a subset of players that feel betrayed and become vengeful. I always think about Warhammer Online. I bought the Collector's Edition after following the development for a few months and watching all of the Paul's videos, only to find out that he was discussing the game's aspirations and not its reality. I enjoyed the game for a month or two, but ever since I have not looked at the company the same. 

To all those who are interested in WildStar, please remember this:

Every moment you spend reading about Wildstar, the less awesome Wildstar will be when you first log in. 

Originally posted by Azoth

again another reason I wish I had a chance to play UO...however I was 6 at the time it was released

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Explorer for me. :)
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Explorer for me. :)

Settler for me! 

It would be AWESOME if a settler could team up with an explorer to build remote quest hubs or bases. 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Might be a Scientist myself.  

Om nom nom nom lore, nom nom.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Nooooooooo, I want them all!

:(

All die, so die well.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Was going to be a settler but don't know how group dependent that will be so I'll probly be a scientist.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I probably just have not read enough about the game since the cartoony look turns me off.  I'm trying to understand what paths are all about.  So is this like a starting zone for your character and then after your path you meet in the gameworld?   Is this like having 4 different games and if I'm on the explorer path(which I think sounds most interesting) , I wouldn't come across someone on the scientist path, for instance.  Or are these paths simply different quests I choose to play and I can always pick quests from the other paths?   I'm sure I missed an important memo on this game somewhere. 
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I probably just have not read enough about the game since the cartoony look turns me off.  I'm trying to understand what paths are all about.  So is this like a starting zone for your character and then after your path you meet in the gameworld?   Is this like having 4 different games and if I'm on the explorer path(which I think sounds most interesting) , I wouldn't come across someone on the scientist path, for instance.  Or are these paths simply different quests I choose to play and I can always pick quests from the other paths?   I'm sure I missed an important memo on this game somewhere.  

The easiest thing to compare it to is a profession. You select a path based on how you want to play. Do you want to focus on combat? Be a soldier. Lore? Scientist. Exploring? Explorer. Crafting and Socialization? Settler. 

It's not a separate game, you see everyone. It defines a portion of the content you will have access to. As an explorer you can find hidden caves that other paths wouldn't be able to find, but once you've found it-- others can enter it as well. 

Your path is a permanent selection, but the majority of the content you experience will be standard content, with about 30% defined by your path.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

absolutely the best developer videos ever - love them all

again, if the game is only half the fun of the videos they've got a hit

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Tsathoggua

The easiest thing to compare it to is a profession. You select a path based on how you want to play. Do you want to focus on combat? Be a soldier. Lore? Scientist. Exploring? Explorer. Crafting and Socialization? Settler. 

It's not a separate game, you see everyone. It defines a portion of the content you will have access to. As an explorer you can find hidden caves that other paths wouldn't be able to find, but once you've found it-- others can enter it as well. 

Your path is a permanent selection, but the majority of the content you experience will be standard content, with about 30% defined by your path.

Very nice, thanks, a bit clearer now.  It will be interesting to see how this works out in practice.  Is this unique?   I can't really think of another game doing this.   And I would agree I find these trailers/vidoes fun and if this vibe can be found in game, it just might be a hit. 

• ParrogParrog Member Posts: 11

Have to love the look of a game that has a sense of humour. 

And scientist here I come!

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Hey MikeB let me know if you are going to form a MMORPG guild during all the beta testing.  Not sure what path to pick yet till I can get in game and look at them.
    Originally posted by Tsathoggua

Very nice, thanks, a bit clearer now.  It will be interesting to see how this works out in practice.  Is this unique?   I can't really think of another game doing this.   And I would agree I find these trailers/vidoes fun and if this vibe can be found in game, it just might be a hit. 

As far as I know, no other game has presented content in the same way as the "path system." If you look at the Bartle Test of Gamer Psychology, you'll see that a gamer can usually be classified as a Killer, Socializer, Achiever, or Explorer based on the way he/she plays games. Other MMOs have focused on putting in systems that cater to each of these types of players: treasures and achievements for Achievers, easter eggs for Explorers, etc... 

I am intrigued by their Scientist and Settler paths because they don't neatly fit into these categories. Scientists are supposed to be the "Achievement" path, but I know many achievement junkies are drawn to the explorer path as well. While a completionist will most likely enjoy the leveling experience as a scientist more than the other paths, a true achievement junkie will probably make a character for each path. 

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

path decision is one of the hardest things for me to decide

Im thinking I will tie it in a RP sense to the class I choose, since I am an alt-aholic

Warrior/Soldier

Spellslinger/Scientist

Healer/Settler

Stalker/Explorer

thats how I have played it so far