Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox ONE

Comments

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Eladi
    Originally posted by faxnadu
    Originally posted by Butregenyo
    i am not impressed at all. too much focus on the non gaming features. ps3's reveal was a lot better imo showing the games instead of focusing on the `box`. And now they have the upper hand while showing their machine for the first time :P

focus of non gaming features is the key, sinc eps4 is trying to be focused only on gamers wich in console language means casual couch joe.

id rather and alaways play my games on my study with proper equipment wich i can swap whenever i feel like it and use xbox one as multimedia device on my living room. eventho i still havent decided wich one but it heavily looks at this point its going to be xone.

you have no concern at all that you cant buy cheaper games from friends or that you cant even use you're multimedia device (xbox) if there is something wrong whit you're ISP , no movies, no games, no multimedia at all. just use the power button 

and btw, aint a xbox one a bit much for a simple multimedia device? bit overkill on the hardware except the storage , that for a multimedia device is extreme low (500gb storage) 

There are still going to be plenty  of blind xbox fanboys and girls.. Hopefully they see the light and switch sides ;)

yea and one whos talking about " sides " is not blind young fanboy then? talking sides is very naive. 

and to other guy your concerns are not my concerns on this since its. cheaper games ? id never need personally buy any cheaper games, if i like the game and want to buy one dont matter the price. and you mean that if my isp wont work i cant see nothing then? well its like that nowadays anyways, my internet provider gives the digibox and wich is connected to my modem so if my internet dont work nothing works, then i need to plug it in with old school way anyways. so no i dont got problems and who wants to keep so much movies ion hardrive anyways? few movies at times is enough.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Convergence, it's funny that the very thing that people claimed would threaten PC's is finally reaching it's pinnacle . . . which is to turn everything into a PC.

Grats MS, you managed to give your console the capabilities of a computer (which you already develop products for, and also where you made all your money . . . remember?).

It's getting kind of stupid that every device has to do everything. And what kind of idiot at MS came up with the idea of their console as a media system when more and more TV's are becoming smart TV's? Do they not see the redundancy?

Oh look, I can watch netflix on my Xbox ONE! Oh wait, my TV already has a netflix button. Seriously, if they're trying to court the casual gamer they're forgetting ONE thing. The casual gamer has phones/tablets/computers already. Why would they go buy another piece of hardware to play casual games that are already on all those devices?

What kind of backwards logic was employed here? "Hmm let's see, hardcore gamers are a smaller percentage of the population than casual gamers - let's see if we can attract casual gamers with our new media system." Yeah real nice, except for the primary issue that casual gamers are by definition not really interested in gaming! They might play games to kill time here and there, but that's why 99 cent games sell so well on apple and android app stores. What on earth would possess a casual gamer who plays angry birds and fruit ninja to buy a console? They have a TV, they have a mobile device, and they have a computer and they have a kazillion little games to play.

I really can't wrap my head around MS's plan. Oh and they felt it was a good idea to charge the full price of a game when installing on a new account. Bwahahahaha wtf.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

What people I think are failing to realize here is that the new XBOX is going to be your one-stop shop for everything you already have or own.

And accessing it is going to be easy.

Yes, I've got a smart TV, and a console, and a Blu Ray player, and a Netflix / internet smart box, and of course my cable box with DVR...

and about 5 remotes and my girlfriend can never figure out how to switch between them without me doing it before her, and she refuses to learn how to use the 360 controller to watch HBO (HBO Go-app)

Next gen games?

Duh - that's a given people.

What ELSE can this generation of consoles do?

That is the question BOTH PS4 and XBOX:One are answering.

The idea of controlling my entire living room with my voice, or my girlfriend with her voice, and instantly switching between movies and TV and DVR and games and internet and SKYPE calls...

The partnership with the NFL and fantasy football is amazing.

Imagine watching a game live, while in a group skype call with your buddies, and talking trash/having fun with them watching your Fantasy Football scores pop up play by play.

That right there is awesome.

And yes, of course it will play all the newest/greatest games.

The launch event was a let down - they BARELY showed any games.

After E3, I have a feeling Microsoft is going to REALLY outshine Sony.

But Sony did have a LOT better of a reveal as they showed a LOT more in terms of games.

I hate the idea of Connect, but voice control is awesome and the PS4's little dongles are very lame.

As long as the games allow me to just play with a controller (which looks awesome as in they didn't change the 360 one which is perfect) I'll be happy.

If I am forced to use Connect while playing games, I'll be pissed.

But it's great for the voice features outside of games, and the gestures are a lot like my Win 8 tablet which I like.

And use your damn heads people.

They are NOT going to charge you full price to reactivate a used game. Maybe 5-10 bucks, max.

Brick and Mortars like Gamestop are going to have to adjust their prices accordingly or go extinct.

Only really sucks if you want to let a friend/family member borrow a game, but it's smart business so they don't take a massive loss losing out on people swapping single player games.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by BadSpock
    What people I think are failing to realize here is that the new XBOX is going to be your one-stop shop for everything you already have or own.And accessing it is going to be easy.Yes, I've got a smart TV, and a console, and a Blu Ray player, and a Netflix / internet smart box, and of course my cable box with DVR...and about 5 remotes and my girlfriend can never figure out how to switch between them without me doing it before her, and she refuses to learn how to use the 360 controller to watch HBO (HBO Go-app)Next gen games?Duh - that's a given people.What ELSE can this generation of consoles do?That is the question BOTH PS4 and XBOX:One are answering.The idea of controlling my entire living room with my voice, or my girlfriend with her voice, and instantly switching between movies and TV and DVR and games and internet and SKYPE calls...The partnership with the NFL and fantasy football is amazing.Imagine watching a game live, while in a group skype call with your buddies, and talking trash/having fun with them watching your Fantasy Football scores pop up play by play.That right there is awesome.And yes, of course it will play all the newest/greatest games.The launch event was a let down - they BARELY showed any games.After E3, I have a feeling Microsoft is going to REALLY outshine Sony.But Sony did have a LOT better of a reveal as they showed a LOT more in terms of games.I hate the idea of Connect, but voice control is awesome and the PS4's little dongles are very lame.As long as the games allow me to just play with a controller (which looks awesome as in they didn't change the 360 one which is perfect) I'll be happy.If I am forced to use Connect while playing games, I'll be pissed.But it's great for the voice features outside of games, and the gestures are a lot like my Win 8 tablet which I like.And use your damn heads people.They are NOT going to charge you full price to reactivate a used game. Maybe 5-10 bucks, max.Brick and Mortars like Gamestop are going to have to adjust their prices accordingly or go extinct.Only really sucks if you want to let a friend/family member borrow a game, but it's smart business so they don't take a massive loss losing out on people swapping single player games.
    In your case, X-Box One seems like a perfect fit. I don't have a need for all the integration. And the fact they are charging "on top of" the services already paid for makes it a "No thank You." from my perspective.

Reselling games is another sore spot. MS charged me $60 for their game. Now they want charge AGAIN if I decide to sell it later on? Hell, might as well charge me a monthly fee ON TOP OF their games to play them. Oh, right. They do. X-Box Live anyone?

Convenience is nice, not a necessity in my book. And the charges and practices they are "innovating" do not sit right with me. I dislike very much having gaming companies weaseling into my back pocket every chance they get. They feel a bit too grabby to me. The price (money AND tentacles closing in on me) is not worth the convenience for me.

I am glad you like it and will probably be purchasing it for your home. I never was much of a console gamer in the first place. After they got more than 4 buttons and 1 directional pad, I lost interest :)

If I want a "One Stop Shop", I am not going to look for a GAMING CONSOLE first. I'll look for a buildable PC integration for that so that I can customize it the way *I* want it, not what MS wants me to have.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

What people I think are failing to realize here is that the new XBOX is going to be your one-stop shop for everything you already have or own.

And accessing it is going to be easy.

Yes, I've got a smart TV, and a console, and a Blu Ray player, and a Netflix / internet smart box, and of course my cable box with DVR...

and about 5 remotes and my girlfriend can never figure out how to switch between them without me doing it before her, and she refuses to learn how to use the 360 controller to watch HBO (HBO Go-app)

Next gen games?

Duh - that's a given people.

What ELSE can this generation of consoles do?

That is the question BOTH PS4 and XBOX:One are answering.

The idea of controlling my entire living room with my voice, or my girlfriend with her voice, and instantly switching between movies and TV and DVR and games and internet and SKYPE calls...

The partnership with the NFL and fantasy football is amazing.

Imagine watching a game live, while in a group skype call with your buddies, and talking trash/having fun with them watching your Fantasy Football scores pop up play by play.

That right there is awesome.

And yes, of course it will play all the newest/greatest games.

The launch event was a let down - they BARELY showed any games.

After E3, I have a feeling Microsoft is going to REALLY outshine Sony.

But Sony did have a LOT better of a reveal as they showed a LOT more in terms of games.

I hate the idea of Connect, but voice control is awesome and the PS4's little dongles are very lame.

As long as the games allow me to just play with a controller (which looks awesome as in they didn't change the 360 one which is perfect) I'll be happy.

If I am forced to use Connect while playing games, I'll be pissed.

But it's great for the voice features outside of games, and the gestures are a lot like my Win 8 tablet which I like.

And use your damn heads people.

They are NOT going to charge you full price to reactivate a used game. Maybe 5-10 bucks, max.

Brick and Mortars like Gamestop are going to have to adjust their prices accordingly or go extinct.

Only really sucks if you want to let a friend/family member borrow a game, but it's smart business so they don't take a massive loss losing out on people swapping single player games.

Keep up with the news,

" But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said."

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

It's the full price of the game. So if the game cost $60, it's $60 to install. If you bought it for $30, then it's $30 to install. Used games stay at their retail price (I would assume they would go down to match discount or "greatest hits" version, who knows).

And your first sentence is exactly why I don't understand:

[quote]"What people I think are failing to realize here is that the new XBOX is going to be your one-stop shop for everything you already have or own."[/quote]

Yeah I already have and own those things, why do I need them again? To put them in one place? But they're not difficult to use now . . . and why do you have so many remotes? BTW you will still need your cable box, so you'll have to hang on to that remote.

Even if you are the ideal candidate for the Xbox ONE, are there enough people in your shoes that not only need everything to be housed centrally, but that also have more than a passing interest in video games AND feel like spend $___ more on another device.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    80% of all the game i buy are used one, they can take their fee and shove it, i'm not buying it.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

looks like Microsoft just did their level best to promote the PS4, very kind of them given Sony's need to have a successful product image

cannot think of a valid reason to own the new xbox tbh, too much focus on gimmicks and not enough focus on being a games console, given that windows 8 was equally a dud, it seems to be the beginning of a very unhealthy trend at microsoft, pretty sure that Sony will be laughing all the way on this one, and who can blame them, awesome own goal there Microsoft. image

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

Microsoft is essentially trying to sell us a non-upgradeable PC that they maintain control of for as long as you own it.

Definitely a step in the wrong direction for console gaming but a good thing for PC gamers (for now).

• TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    "But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said."

Sounds good to me.

Eleanor Rigby.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

It won't run your Xbox 360 games.

I just kinda hate the way M$ have made the One a re imagining of the a Windows Media Center PC from about 5 years ago...

Lifemedia

versus...

PS4 is the gamers choice for next gen console.

Originally posted by Rusque

Keep up with the news,

*snip*

And your first sentence is exactly why I don't understand:

[quote]"What people I think are failing to realize here is that the new XBOX is going to be your one-stop shop for everything you already have or own."[/quote]

Yeah I already have and own those things, why do I need them again? To put them in one place? But they're not difficult to use now . . . and why do you have so many remotes? BTW you will still need your cable box, so you'll have to hang on to that remote.

Even if you are the ideal candidate for the Xbox ONE, are there enough people in your shoes that not only need everything to be housed centrally, but that also have more than a passing interest in video games AND feel like spend $___ more on another device.

That is bad news - but it makes sense.

I'm assuming I could just log into my friend's XBOX One with my account and play the game on their box to "show them" or play together etc.

But I guess it does make sense if they want to play the game on their account, they need to buy it.

Buying their own copy of COURSE it's the same price, but them buying MY copy from ME, so I no longer have a copy, SHOULD be a cheaper price - that is asinine.

Based on your quotes, I am not sure if that is what they meant or not.

As for the second part, the demonstration showed him using his voice to control the TV and he stated he was using Comcast TV service - so I bet I will NOT need my DVR/cable box controller.

And yes, even using a universal remote (I have) you need to switch inputs and switch "modes" on the remote.

Difficult?

No.

Nice to do away with all of that entirely and just control everything with my voice or phone/tablet?

Awesome.

And at the end of the day, the MOST important part of my rant is that it will still play all the new next-gen games.

So will the PS4. So will a high end computer.

What else can it do?

The "else" is the determining factor in which console, if any, I buy this fall/winter. If it's none, I'll just upgrade my gaming rig or build a new one.

Personally?

I don't like the fact that I have thousands of dollars in a gaming rig sitting in my office, and thousands of dollars in TV/console etc. sitting in my living room.

The living room part is NOT going away, big screen + couch = win, I've done the whole "TV+Movies" on my computer thing - no thanks.

If I can do all my gaming in my living room, I'm already doing most of my productivity/work on my tablet and phone, then that is a major win.

And if it's idiot proof-easy to use (sorry hunny!) then that is a MAJOR win for me because I deal with enough tech support at work.

Originally posted by Illyssia

It won't run your Xbox 360 games.

That is 100% fine with me, there are none I still play and the ones I would consider playing again all have sequels coming out on the XBOX:One.

I already traded back most of my 360 games for $$ and bought a PC game lol

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176

What is a console?

Seriously, I have thought of consoles as the realm of pretend gamers since about 7 or 8 years ago.  True gamers understand the limitations of consoles and play PC exclusively.  In fact I wouldnt even consider someone who plays nothing but consoles a gamer but a mere player.

In other words I could care less what Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony do nor do I care.  I own a PS3 and about 12 games for it but never play it because controllers are stupid and do not offer near the response as a Mouse and Keyboard.

SUP

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I heared Xbox one gets a cool feature called TiWi no idea wtf that is but its repeated like 900 times !!!

Originally posted by ZedTheRock

What is a console?

Seriously, I have thought of consoles as the realm of pretend gamers since about 7 or 8 years ago.  True gamers understand the limitations of consoles and play PC exclusively.  In fact I wouldnt even consider someone who plays nothing but consoles a gamer but a mere player.

In other words I could care less what Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony do nor do I care.  I own a PS3 and about 12 games for it but never play it because controllers are stupid and do not offer near the response as a Mouse and Keyboard.

Now now, some of us play games on various media. I enjoy all sorts of games and have gamed on PC + all consoles since always (no company favorite, I usually buy them all each gen).

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

i already have 2 one stop shops for everything I ever do...my PC and my Galaxy S4...they can both do everything the xbox one or ps4 can do, and do it better with more ease of access...

I do own several computers, but I mainly only use my desktop or laptop...the rest are for the family lol.  Games on the S4 look better than that COD on the Xbox One roflmao!  

Originally posted by Gravarg

i already have 2 one stop shops for everything I ever do...my PC and my Galaxy S4...they can both do everything the xbox one or ps4 can do, and do it better with more ease of access...

I do own several computers, but I mainly only use my desktop or laptop...the rest are for the family lol.  Games on the S4 look better than that COD on the Xbox One roflmao!

There is... nothing to be said about this post.

yup :)

and The ps4 has really good graphics, but just like the ps3, they'll be outdated within 6 months of release...where as a PC if you want, you'll never have dated graphics :)

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I agree with you on that I can do most of what was shown on my PC and Nexus 7 tablet because msot of what was shown is software not hardware dependent.Hell theoretically apple and Roku could update their TV devices to do most of what was shown and Sony can do the same things on the PS4 with some software development and content deals,which they may already have.

Only the Kinect sets it apart really and...there is relatively cheap hardware coming out for other devices that can do just as well with the gesture base stuff and the voice stuff can be done with software as well and existing mics.

What MS needs to do is prove that having all this stuff available on the one will enhance games in a meaningful way and be intergrated into games meaningfully.

Maybe we'll see that from both MS and Sony at E3.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

What is a console?

While I don't play on any console I still consider those who play frequently games to be gamers regardless if they are on pc or console's. I used to play on console'sfrom the Pong machine/atari/msx and everthing in between  right up to the ps2. Stopped consoles with the original Medal of Honor and started to build a more gaming PC system since then. And probebly will never return to console due unless there will be a console that defeats a high end pc on all stages of performance and handeling.

A true gamer to me is a person that has games as his/her main hobby and spends his/her free time playing games...among other things of course. This can be console gamers, casual/hardcore gamers, pc gamers.

The only people I personaly would consider wanna-be gamers or non gamers are those who are able to "hate" games or gamecompany's.

On topic I already posted in this thread.

and The ps4 has really good graphics, but just like the ps3, they'll be outdated within 6 months of release...where as a PC if you want, you'll never have dated graphics :)

Actually with a PC, like everything else, it's outdated as soon as you buy it.

Sure you can upgrade, but upgrades aren't free either.

And I have to say, COD looked impressive graphically but real PC gamers should know that Battlefield 4 is where the real next gen shooter fans will go - and it'll run just as good if not better on a PS4/ONE for 1/2 the price to run at the same level as on PC.

And apparently you missed the biggest selling point for Microsoft and XBO -

Cloud processing.

How the PS4/XBO are going to keep up graphically with PC versions? Cloud processing. Both MS and Sony invested HEAVILY in this kind of tech for the future. Internet speeds will continue to go up and up, as games become more graphically demanding, sounds like both are planning to dump that extra processing off onto the cloud and stream it to you.

Now, I'm an IT guy and I have about 3294811097 reservations about the cloud in general, but as a MMO gamer the whole thing makes perfect sense.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

While the PS4 system specs isn't all that great its still far better than the xbox one.

So the PS4 multiplats should get some good PC ports.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Well if I can't play Bubble Bobble Neo or Radiant Silvergun anymore then maybe I should consider buying a cabinet and hooking my old 360 up to it , o god it would require a huge amount of buttons for the second game.

On another note , I was hoping that i could still play defiance 360 on the new console , doh. Thank god I bought the PC version too. 

Also I was considering and hoping that Destiny would work ( with the same account , characters etc ) on both machines 360 and this so called Xbox One. Doh x 2.

So it's not all that straight forward now for me , I never owned a PS3 but you never know if the new Sony machine gets more MMO's than the Microsoft one then it will be a no brainer. I'm not getting both as i want to carry on playing the two arcade games I have on my old 360.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

Some of my thoughts..

It seems to me that they are saving most of their game announcements for E3. The racing game does not interest me personally. 

I was honestly kind of pumped about the new XBOX ONE. Although I agree with what someone else said about the name being confusing with regards to the classic XBOX.

When Kinect was first announced I had no interest whatsoever. But then we got one for our 4 kids after it had been out quite a while. They freaking love it! It's fun just to watch them play. After using the voice commands, I love it too. I still have very little interest in motion games myself (dancing, etc), but using my voice and gestures to navigate is really nice, especially in Mass Effect 3. I like Kinect being used in this way.

The whole used game issue DOES bother me. As mentioned above, I have 4 kids, so it isn't very often I can lay down $60 for a new release game. We buy a lot of used games around here. Sounds like this could kill game rentals for sure.

A lot of people are screaming about it not playing XBOX 360 games. So what? You have a 360? Keep it. This is nothing new. PS3 dropped backward compatibility. If you want next gen, do next gen. I say move forward.

One thing I am very curious about is what happens to XNA? I heard that XNA is dead, but will something replace it? I love the whole idea of giving hobbyists/indies a way to develop a console game and distribute it on XBOX Live. I hope something even better replaces it.

Last thought..Halo live action series..awesome...hopefully.

Kinect isn't a selling point for me, shouldn't be for anyone.  The thing never worked right.  Maybe in 20 years they'll get it right, but right now it simply doesn't work reliably enough.  

You end up going "Xbox  Internet, Xbox Internet, Internet Xbox! Get on the freakin' internet you stupid pos!"  (Xbox brings up netflix)  (you go ram your head into a wall to make the pain stop)

Just like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-GKVyBb-KI