Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet Reveals New Game Pricing

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

I prefer P2P, but B2P is too much of a barrier to entry after the "launch hype".

That is a funny statement

It is not funny at all, it provides just as much barrier to entry as P2P.  With subscription games you get a month free anyway.

As I said, there are quality MMOs in the market today that are completely F2P.  Many are better than GW2.  So I don't see why people would pay $50 over not paying anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if GW2 goes F2P this year.  Or does a "unlimited" free trail type of thing.

It is a funny statement. I'm not even trying to argue the validity of it, it just sounds funny.

As for the validity of it, I will not pay a subscription and I am wary of F2P titles. I prefer B2P.  B2P give's me unlimited access to game content, and has a nice cash shop to supplement income. F2P does not imply unlimited access, and many F2P titles are really just P2P titles with an option for F2P. 

GW is not F2P and they're putting the servers on autopilot, GW2 won't be any different.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Powermike
    Originally posted by Asamof
    50 dollars for the standard edition is a reduced price?? whut??

it's a pretty good game man!

Since when did that matter here? lol

+1 lol

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

19.99$ can bring some new.

TSW has this price...

I'm not very sure that 50$ is correct price for an console game, and sorta short, disguised to MMO.

anyway good luck to get more players, as I guess all hypo are already finished GW2. 

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• samuraislyr4samuraislyr4 Member UncommonPosts: 73

I'm really not sure why people are so negative all the time. This price cut is good timing. The game is selling fine and is starting to sell once again. Today, it jumped to be in the top 10 on Gamestop downloads, and appears to be doing well on Amazon even amongst a huge host of sales. 

Stop with the negativity!!

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by samuraislyr4

I'm really not sure why people are so negative all the time. This price cut is good timing. The game is selling fine and is starting to sell once again. Today, it jumped to be in the top 10 on Gamestop downloads, and appears to be doing well on Amazon even amongst a huge host of sales. 

On that same list, age of empires 3....at 10$ less, is outselling it, so I wouldnt really quote that. On a side note, Diablo 3 is still selling better than GW2 for some ungodly reason (the only PC game to out sell D3 last quarter was the star craft 2 expansion)

• samuraislyr4samuraislyr4 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by samuraislyr4

On that same list, age of empires 3....at 10$ less, is outselling it, so I wouldnt really quote that. On a side note, Diablo 3 is still selling better than GW2 for some ungodly reason (the only PC game to out sell D3 last quarter was the star craft 2 expansion)

The only place I see age of empires 3 selling really well is Amazon since it's 10 dollars right now. 

My gamestop app lists GW2 just behind Skyrim (recent price cut) and the Command and Conquer Collection (also recent price cut). The websites all show different stuff I admit, even Amazon is utterly confusing right now with their sales. GW2 is stated as #7 but isn't listed there, but really that's not my point. I don't care if GW2 is #1 across the board. It's selling! and it continues to do so. Most games around this time, top out and don't sell anymore, but GW2 continues to do so. The Price cut like any price cut will only help to boost those sales (for a time) but that just means more money and more players, which are good things. 

I also don't see what it matters what game is selling better, as long as it is selling. That was my point, not that Diablo 3 which is made by Blizzard which would sell like hotcakes even if it was a flamming poo bag with Blizzard in fancy blue lettering is selling more. 

As far as I can see GW2 is doing fine, gaining new players, putting out new content regularly and still fun. 

It might not be fun for everyone and that's fine, not every game is for everyone. 

Gamers on forums seem more readily able to damn things just to damn them. Someone said it earlier but here it is:

Game drops $10 in price MMO community: $10 that's it? What a joke. 

Game drops $40 dollars in price MMO community: Wow, already? The game must be failing so bad. 

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. 

If these forums were really anything to go by, then they should have just left the price alone and somehow be super successful

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

I'd love my $15 back for wasting my money pre-purchasing when it was available for $15 cheaper closer to releases from various e-tailers.

But no, no refund, because it involved banning my account as well.  Refused to credit me $15 or upgrade me to deluxe edition for free ($15 increase).  All this and I quit the game within the first two weeks due to the horrific launch.

And to think that was the first (and last) $60 game I have ever purchased.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by flizzer

Best game I have played in years.  Easily worth the money.   You get a vast open world, fun server battles in World v World, lots of exploration, fun classes, dodging!, dungeons admittedly are a mixed bag,  and constant updates putting the lie to sub games giving you more.   

Nope you don't get a "vast open world" the world is not open and it's not vast lol. As for updates, well before Rift decided to go F2P it had more updates than GW2 and it was a P2P game.

Go play Vanguard then you will see what a vast open world really is, pretty sure GW2 has instancing and closed off zones . And nope GW2 doesn't have more content than Vanguard, just in case you want to throw that one at me.

GW2 should be half the price it was at release but even that's to much for the game.

• MerklynnMerklynn Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Even though I don't play GW2 anymore I think any price drop is a smart move to possibly get more people involved. Besides less players on GW2 means even less cash shop sales and that's never good.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

EQ2 FREE

You could wait buy SC on double or triple days and buy enough un-lockers to fully enjoy the game for years and over several players.This is a MUCH more robust game giving over 300+ dollars in free xpacs.EQ2 has everything,housing,mounts,guild halls,better graphics,tons of classes,seriously it is miles the best option out there.

I bought a new FFXi account 15 bucks,again an extremely robust game,over 200 bucks in free xpac content.Yes it has a sub fee,but paying 50 to a game you might quit in one week or even 2 months is not a good bargain.This is especially since the game has so little content,your getting 1/4 the game as other older games.

This has nothing to do with what i think of GW2 personally,but a game like this at this stage with no xpacs is not worth more than 20 bucks.Even at 20 it would be a tough sell to me,especially with so many f2p games out there doing basically the exact same things.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Honestly, this is part of the problem with a no sub-no necessary cash shop game. You have to get people to commit to a large, up front fee to make money on the game. If you cannot get that cash, well, maintaining an MMORPG and keeping it healthy, is not the easiest thing in the world these days.

GW1 had the advantage of rather rapid release of expansion packs, and made their money that way. That said, not a single person I played GW2 with is still playing, and only one of them plans on checking it out when an ex pack comes out. So...well, there you go.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

It is a great game.  But they should have knocked the price down more.  Game has been out more than six months.   Rather stingy on their part, I think.

As an example, I recently purchased Tomb Raider for like $33 or something.  Fantastic game and the game is much more recent.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Wizardry

EQ2 FREE

You could wait buy SC on double or triple days and buy enough un-lockers to fully enjoy the game for years and over several players.This is a MUCH more robust game giving over 300+ dollars in free xpacs.EQ2 has everything,housing,mounts,guild halls,better graphics,tons of classes,seriously it is miles the best option out there.

I bought a new FFXi account 15 bucks,again an extremely robust game,over 200 bucks in free xpac content.Yes it has a sub fee,but paying 50 to a game you might quit in one week or even 2 months is not a good bargain.This is especially since the game has so little content,your getting 1/4 the game as other older games.

This has nothing to do with what i think of GW2 personally,but a game like this at this stage with no xpacs is not worth more than 20 bucks.Even at 20 it would be a tough sell to me,especially with so many f2p games out there doing basically the exact same things.

On the other hand there is a reason those other games have to give, in your own words, hundreds of dollars worth of content for free.

Like static combat, worse graphics (I like that little remark of FQ2 graphics beating GW2 graphics), traditional text questing (as in outdated).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

EQ2 FREE

On the other hand there is a reason those other games have to give, in your own words, hundreds of dollars worth of content for free.

Like static combat, worse graphics (I like that little remark of FQ2 graphics beating GW2 graphics), traditional text questing (as in outdated).

You assume that like you everyone else is bored of traditional questing, you know the marker over the  head type like GW2 has with hart npc's. And you also assume that people are fed up with tab targeting combat which in case you have forgotten, GW2 has.

EQ2 wipes the floor with GW2 is everything than perhaps graphics, it has so much to do in the game it actually makes GW2 look sterile.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

EQ2 FREE

Yeah you figured it all out..that is exactly the reason why games like EQ2 are offering so much content for free.... because the graphics are so bad and everyone is sick of static combat, traditional text questing...... all hail GW2.

*rolls eyes*

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

EQ2 FREE

You assume that like you everyone else is bored of traditional questing, you know the marker over the type like GW2 has with hart npc's. And you also assume that people are fed up with tab targeting combat which in case you have forgotten, GW2 has.

EQ2 wipes the floor with GW2 is everything than perhaps graphics, it has so much to do in the game it actually makes GW2 look sterile.

and yet me and many other players i know couldnt stand the EQ2 for more than 1 hour

it doesnt matter if theres much to do if the game have crappy combat, quests, lore and world

graphic isnt important for me if i dont have fun i dont play the game

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by saurus123

EQ2 FREE

You assume that like you everyone else is bored of traditional questing, you know the marker over the type like GW2 has with hart npc's. And you also assume that people are fed up with tab targeting combat which in case you have forgotten, GW2 has.

and yet me and many other players i know couldnt stand the EQ2 for more than 1 hour

it doesnt matter if theres much to do if the game have crappy combat, quests, lore and world

I also know a lot of players who would prefer EQ2 over GW2 any day only because of sheer content and feature it provides for players.

But any ways your point is? you and your friends dislike EQ2 so somehow it has to have some universal effect?

EQ2 FREE

And that's the crock of the matter, not everyone likes the same thing.

And i though GW2 had crappy combat, questing, lore and world lay out.

Graphic are not important to me if i don't have fun playing the game, i got that exact feeling playing GW2.

IMO the game should be F2P without having to buy the box, it's on the Allods Onilne level IMO.

• raslirasli Member UncommonPosts: 56

EQ2 FREE

Graphic are not important to me if i don't have fun playing the game, i got that exact feeling playing GW2.

IMO the game should be F2P without having to buy the box, it's on the Allods Onilne level IMO.

You know this is so ironic.  In the first sentence you just said not everyone likes the same thing and yet in the last sentence you completely forget this and state your opinion as facts....

• You guys should check out Steam. Lots of games revealing new game pricing EVERY WEEK!
    Originally posted by Zalmon

EQ2 FREE

Yeah you figured it all out..that is exactly the reason why games like EQ2 are offering so much content for free.... because the graphics are so bad and everyone is sick of static combat, traditional text questing...... all hail GW2.

*rolls eyes*

I think the obvious reason they are offering it is because they can't sell it.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by rasli

EQ2 FREE

You know this is so ironic.  In the first sentence you just said not everyone likes the same thing and yet in the last sentence you completely forget this and state your opinion as facts....

I'm sure he said IMO, dont really see him stating anything as fact.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Zalmon

EQ2 FREE

*rolls eyes*

I think the obvious reason they are offering it is because they can't sell it.

Just like how GW2 reduced prices because obviously they can't sell it anymore?

If we are just here to grasp at straws i think anyone can do that.  What you forget here is how old EQ2 really is. 

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

EQ2 FREE

I prefer EQ2 combat over GW2 for sure, but you might not that's fine.  Then you go on t say in 1 hour you new the quests, lore and world are crap. Wow, you never saw some amazing quests in EQ2, the world blows GW2s out of the water, and the lore is second to none. GW2 feels like an arcade like fun(not so fun) park. All my opinion, but at least mine are based off of many many many hours of EQ2 gameplay, and a month of GW2, ugh that became painful after a week.

Originally posted by Whitebeards

EQ2 FREE

I also know a lot of players who would prefer EQ2 over GW2 any day only because of sheer content and feature it provides for players.

But any ways your point is? you and your friends dislike EQ2 so somehow it has to have some universal effect?

You can just Swap the EQ2 and GW2 order in your sentences and read it to yourself, Then you know what my point is.

The only difference is that many more players seem to prefer GW2 over EQ2