Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does this game still have the genres most outdated combat system?

Mr_CMr_C Member Posts: 112
It's been a long time since I played this game, and every time I used to try it, Iit was able to "hold" me, if I really tried to focus, for max 48 hrs. All due to the most boring combat system of the genre.

So; is the combat system still the same or have they gotten their lazy fingers out and made it more immersive, challenging & fun?

Comments

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

If you mean, does it have the same combat system that it always had, yes, just like WoW, Rift, SWTOR, and a host of other MMORPGs.

Indeed, go play Rift. That combat system is even slower.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

If you mean, does it have the same combat system that it always had, yes, just like WoW, Rift, SWTOR, and a host of other MMORPGs.

Agreed.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Mr_CMr_C Member Posts: 112

Eh, the induction time in LOTRO is so bad that I feel I could go have a shower between each time I hit a key to a skill.

One of THE best combat mechanics with super fast response time is definately World of Warcraft. The induction time feels like I am sending an order to a toon, which then does it, instead of that I feel like I am in DIRECT control of the toon.

Sluggish, slows syrup combat. I give it 1/10, which makes the whole game fail. A modern combat system and a good pvp system would attract alot of players. The game feel dead, and those that are around are snotty elitistic players which are far from helpful.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Mr_C

Eh, the induction time in LOTRO is so bad that I feel I could go have a shower between each time I hit a key to a skill.

One of THE best combat mechanics with super fast response time is definately World of Warcraft. The induction time feels like I am sending an order to a toon, which then does it, instead of that I feel like I am in DIRECT control of the toon.

Sluggish, slows syrup combat. I give it 1/10, which makes the whole game fail. A modern combat system and a good pvp system would attract alot of players. The game feel dead, and those that are around are snotty elitistic players which are far from helpful.

Really sounding like your only point now is to pick a fight.

You have had your answer.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    It's been a long time since I played this game, and every time I used to try it, Iit was able to "hold" me, if I really tried to focus, for max 48 hrs. All due to the most boring combat system of the genre. So; is the combat system still the same or have they gotten their lazy fingers out and made it more immersive, challenging & fun?

basically the same combat system as any other tab target MMORPG..

• nosam9nosam9 Member Posts: 21

Yes, the combat system is pretty bad in Lotro.

It is true it is the same Tab system as WoW, but Wow is programmed so much better and works much better. You can make all the excuses you want about induction times, etc but Lotro seriously has it wrong, and WoW seriously has it right. There is a huge thread on how WoW has the best, most responsive combat - in part because of the code and how it reduces lag.

Lotro is lagging more and more. People with high end gaming rigs have left Lotro because in the newer zones the code is so bad they have a lot of lag. The recent coding of Lotro is terrible. They did not optimize the game to work on different systems, unlike almost every other MMO or major software is optimized. So with a very high end PC you can not get terrible lag in Lotro.

Anyway, yes Lotro's combat is one of the worst out of top MMOs these days. Unless you are a fanboy, and then everything is the best in Lotro.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    I have no issues with the combat system.
  • MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Really sounding like your only point now is to pick a fight.

You have had your answer.

I dont like his tone, but I have to agree with him, LOTRO combat is definatly the most sluggish ive tried, closely followed by RIft.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    I think the combat is slow due to manuver system they have when doing raids. It gives time for people to execute the moves. IMO
    It still felt sluggish, but I got used to it.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I moved to LOTRO after years on and off of running around in WoW raids, constantly moving and mashing buttons until my fingers bled.  It may be that I'm getting older, but I appreciate the slower combat style of LOTRO.  I feel like I can relax.

As far from the community being elitist, I haven't encountered that in the least.  It is the most welcoming, helpful group of players I've met in any MMO.

• Mr_CMr_C Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by Vigg

I moved to LOTRO after years on and off of running around in WoW raids, constantly moving and mashing buttons until my fingers bled.  It may be that I'm getting older, but I appreciate the slower combat style of LOTRO.  I feel like I can relax. As far from the community being elitist, I haven't encountered that in the least.  It is the most welcoming, helpful group of players I've met in any MMO.

Have you tried Guild Wars 2? Actually a great combat system. You set first "mashbutton" skill on auto then the rest you click as you see fir for the situation.
    Alot more tactics needed, and I feel this combat system is better than WoW's too.
    The sluggish combat system in LOTRO added with them lame animations makes it a sad experience.

But I totally agree with the poster above; the WoW's combat system is definately THE most responsive system of them all; problem for me is to remember all them skills you have AND have to know all the skills to the ones you fight against or else youre screwed. Not that I mind or have any problems remembering them, I just dont have the interest in it anymore.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Yes, the combat is still slow, sluggish and non responsive compared to other games of the same "theme park" genre, even though they made a combat improvement patch a couple of years ago that has put some skills like interrupts out of the queue and responding immediately to user input. When you swing a sword, you still feel you're fighting more against air that is as thick as glue than against the mobs themself, and when you press a button, except for the few skills mentioned above, the reaction is never immediate.

It's still the weakest part of LotRO's game mechanisms in my opinion, and it completely discouraged me of leveling alts after a while.

My computer is better than yours.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Yes, the combat is still slow, sluggish and non responsive compared to other games of the same "theme park" genre, even though they made a combat improvement patch a couple of years ago that has put some skills like interrupts out of the queue and responding immediately to user input. When you swing a sword, you still feel you're fighting more against air that is as thick as glue than against the mobs themself, and when you press a button, except for the few skills mentioned above, the reaction is never immediate.

It's still the weakest part of LotRO's game mechanisms in my opinion, and it completely discouraged me of leveling alts after a while.

The biggest problem is the delay between activating a skill and it actually working. I have no idea (maybe someone can explain) why their is a timer clicking round when I swing a sword before the sword is swung? I can understand cooldowns for blows and skills, that can explain weapon and skill speeds, but a warm up for activation? I don't mind the lotro combat apart from that, it's not a major pvp game or an FPS so no mmorpg really needs an all singing and dancing combat system, but it could be better.