Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

not sure of the point of this game anymore

stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185

I've been playing this game as a free user for over 2 years. I never won gold from any of their events nor payed for it. I am strictly a free player because I don't believe in the f2p system nor support it.

After saying that, this game was and has been good for a free player. The only people who pay are those that want to compete in clan wars, and even that is bad because there is only 1 or 2 clans out there that can wipe everyone else out.

The things I like about this game:

1) progression, you always have something to progress to whether it be modules or higher tier tanks

2) you don't have to pay to compete. public matches aren't always great but sometimes you, as a free player, can win the game on your own based on your skill.

3)i don't have to pay money to win.

things i don't like about the game:

1) you have to pay money to be competitive in clan wars

2) pub matches are full of idiots, even if you kill 10 tanks on your own the other 5 opposing players are good enough to wipe our your team cause they suck

3) aiming, richochet, and overall firing performance is very random and is not based on skill but rather the RNG system.

4) there are obvious tanks that are better than others (i.e. the whole russian tree, go figure)

5) the premium tanks that people pay REAL money for always dominate the low tier matches because they are made to make money to dominate low tier people who don't want to pay money. nuff said.

6) clan wars is a joke.

7) after unlocking tier 9 as a free player you are forced to grind tier 4-5 tier tanks as a measily income to support your tier 9. you cannot possibly advance further unless you pay money.

8) you get banned on the forums for saying constructive things (as with most games..)

9) as with most f2p games, the person with the most money wins.

10) the physics engine was a waste of time. 50% of the matches i play now is for my teammate to push me off a cliff to get their jollies and reporting it does nothing.

Comments

• deugemietdeugemiet Member Posts: 82

[mod edit]

[edit]

Dont spent a single coint to this game...its an unfair corrupted russian mafia product...

There are a lot of things in the game that are totaly wrong.

For example; 2 enemy tanks are capping with a speed that looks like if they are with 5 tanks. Getting 9xp from a single match where u even didnt hit a friendly tank by mistake. Getting 250xp from a victory where u didnt shoot a single shot while u got arround 100xp from a battle where u killed and damaged several tanks. Its totaly nuts. The game is even worse/unfair then a year ago. The community is like i discribed above.

Its totaly nuts...realy a lot of battles people act like if there's a child of 8 years on the computer. There's no any tactic...no any teamplay...its totaly C-R-A-P

What the hell do i have to tell more to convince people that this game doesnt deserve peoples money.......

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

the game is pay to win and has been for awhile. adding the gold-ammo-for-silver was the latest installment. of course - the way to make silver is to have a premium account (100$ for a year) and premium tanks (up to 50$ for a tank) and consumables (yet more real $) so you can boost silver-per-hour and thus afford the gold ammo.

Of course - if you would rather just spend real $ for that gold ammo you can do that too, along with a host of other things (100% crew training before 1st mission, unlock all the upgrades via free exp before the first mission etc)

So in the end - those who pay $ have a large advantage over those who do not. Now throw in flawed matchmaking, matches where you are on a team of poor players, russian tank bias etc. and it becomes nothing but a repetitive arcade shooter not worth the time and effort.

• kotokotkotokot Member Posts: 2

2 enemy tanks are capping with a speed that looks like if they are with 5 tanks

Not true. Base capping time depends on type of battle. For standard battles its 2x time faster than in encounter. Moreover, it does not matter if base is capped with 5 tanks or 10 because only 3 tanks are enough for max cap speed.

Getting 9xp from a single match where u even didnt hit a friendly tank by mistake. Getting 250xp from a victory where u didnt shoot a single shot while u got arround 100xp from a battle where u killed and damaged several tanks. Its totaly nuts.

Its just a lie or you dont understand how xp is earned. 

There are different things that affect yor xp.

1. Damage you done. You may kill 10 tanks doing in total 100 damage but you will get much less xp than guy who didnt kill even 1 tank but did 3000 damage. 

2. You get xp for spotting enemy tanks too and damage other people done by your scouting.

3. You get more xp for the win.

etc.

Its totally ok and you didnt even bother to learn how it works.

realy a lot of battles people act like if there's a child of 8 years on the computer. There's no any tactic...no any teamplay...its totaly C-R-A-P

Play platoons etc.

Its you, not the game.

So in the end - those who pay $ have a large advantage over those who do not.

Not that big actually, but what you expect from f2p game?

Premium account is cheaper than average p2p subscription.  

Invest $40 on premium tank and you will have no problems with silver at all.

as with most f2p games, the person with the most money wins.

Total bs. Skilled players win. Money give you nothing except faster xp gain.

50% of the matches i play now is for my teammate to push me off a cliff to get their jollies and reporting it does nothing

Probably you play different game than me.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    You don't have to pay at all, not since they added buying gold ammo for in game currency. That in itself has caused all sorts of problems (especially with specials like this past weekends half price gold ammo) but the game is not pay to win.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by cptndunsel
    the game is pay to win and has been for awhile. adding the gold-ammo-for-silver was the latest installment. of course - the way to make silver is to have a premium account (100$ for a year) and premium tanks (up to 50$ for a tank) and consumables (yet more real $) so you can boost silver-per-hour and thus afford the gold ammo. Of course - if you would rather just spend real $ for that gold ammo you can do that too, along with a host of other things (100% crew training before 1st mission, unlock all the upgrades via free exp before the first mission etc) So in the end - those who pay $ have a large advantage over those who do not. Now throw in flawed matchmaking, matches where you are on a team of poor players, russian tank bias etc. and it becomes nothing but a repetitive arcade shooter not worth the time and effort.

I agree, except that you're giving arcade shooters a bad name by comparing them to this russian-mob pay-to-"win' p.o.s! :)

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The best part of this game was watching the fail retards make excuses for why they couldn't win at it.

The point of the game was to shoot other tanks. It hasn't changed. It seems though that when people start to get to higher tiers they think they should be doing better. Not because they play better but because in every mmo you always get better rewards with more time. WoT just gets harder to succeed at when you're just really bad at it.

The only pay to win aspect of the game was removed when they let you buy gold ammo with silver. Everything else was just typical I have no money but wish I could have those gold items.

• GeophageGeophage Member Posts: 4

The "point" is that it is hella fun to play.  It's not an orgasmic instant-gratification game; it takes time to understand the incredibly complex mechanics and learn to play well.

If you're looking for an "easy to learn, hard to master" experience, this is it.  I suggest reading up on armored warfare tactics and watching a few videos (Mighty Jingles ftw) before you start, or you will wail and gnash your teeth ... kinda like a checkers player who found himself in a chess match.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

I've been playing this game as a free user for over 2 years. I never won gold from any of their events nor payed for it. I am strictly a free player because I don't believe in the f2p system nor support it.

After saying that, this game was and has been good for a free player. The only people who pay are those that want to compete in clan wars, and even that is bad because there is only 1 or 2 clans out there that can wipe everyone else out.

The things I like about this game:

1) progression, you always have something to progress to whether it be modules or higher tier tanks

Yeah progression is godo in this game, but its also fun to play low tier games as well.

2) you don't have to pay to compete. public matches aren't always great but sometimes you, as a free player, can win the game on your own based on your skill.

Thats right there is no difference between a free player and a premium player other than the premium player will gain XP faster.

3)i don't have to pay money to win.

Exactly, but i have no issues paying £8 a month to allow me to progress a bit faster.

things i don't like about the game:

1) you have to pay money to be competitive in clan wars

No you don't, well this might have changed since you made this post but you can now buy everything in game with in game currency.

2) pub matches are full of idiots, even if you kill 10 tanks on your own the other 5 opposing players are good enough to wipe our your team cause they suck

YEah thats pub matches for you, nothing can be done about that other than find a good clan and run tank companies.

3) aiming, richochet, and overall firing performance is very random and is not based on skill but rather the RNG system.

There is actually a lot of skill involved in the combat system, hitting tanks in the right place at the right angle is a must, but yes there is a bit of RNG to the game as well but playing smart you dont even notice it sometimes.

4) there are obvious tanks that are better than others (i.e. the whole russian tree, go figure)

The main think I dont like about the russian trees is that up until t8 the russian tanks are half the price of other nations tanks.. its stupid.. but because of this you see a lot more russian tanks and that makes people think they are better. Its not the case as they are just as easy to kill as other tanks if you know their weak spots.

5) the premium tanks that people pay REAL money for always dominate the low tier matches because they are made to make money to dominate low tier people who don't want to pay money. nuff said.

They are made to make money, but they are probably some of the worse tanks on the battlefield, all of them have some kind of disadvantage compared to normal tanks of the same tier. For instance the american T8 Super Pershing has a really bad gun for T8 battles, its really inaccurate, its really slow at reloading and aiming and it has really low pen, the tank itself is really slow and only had good frontal armor. Other premium tanks have similar issues. The premium tanks you see doing well are usually people who know the tanks and know how to play.

6) clan wars is a joke.

Why?

7) after unlocking tier 9 as a free player you are forced to grind tier 4-5 tier tanks as a measily income to support your tier 9. you cannot possibly advance further unless you pay money.

Just run t6 games to make extra credits, t6 games are pretty fun.. so no your not forced to pay money but of course Wargaming want to make money as they are a business so they will put systems in place that make it easier if you do pay.. but you dont have to.

8) you get banned on the forums for saying constructive things (as with most games..)

I am pretty sure you don't, I have posted some pretty sure you don't as I have posted some harsh things about patches and certain tanks on the forums without ever getting a warning.

9) as with most f2p games, the person with the most money wins.

Nope, not true at all.

10) the physics engine was a waste of time. 50% of the matches i play now is for my teammate to push me off a cliff to get their jollies and reporting it does nothing.

The physics system was one of the best things that happened to the game, someone tries to push you off a cliff reverse or press spacebar as thats your hand brake.. or just move out the way of course.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Does this game not use radar?That would be the game breaker right there for me.I quit playing COD not only from cheating but radar ruins any fun and surprise elements.

The only tactical i watched was imo not even tactical,where 4 tanks would go to an area but only one would respond,so ends up 4 on 1 ,then repeat that all over the map and win based on nothing but stupidity by the other team by not sticking together.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I hear several people say there is skill,but nobody has explained how skill works,go figure?

I can setup tons of scenarios where skill is huge in pvp games i play,so someone should be able to explain how skill works in this game.BTW telling me you have 4 tanks on 1 is not skill or anything revolving around BETTER tanks or BETTER ammo or anything of that nature.

I want to hear about this SKILL aspect.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Does this game not use radar?That would be the game breaker right there for me.I quit playing COD not only from cheating but radar ruins any fun and surprise elements.

The only tactical i watched was imo not even tactical,where 4 tanks would go to an area but only one would respond,so ends up 4 on 1 ,then repeat that all over the map and win based on nothing but stupidity by the other team by not sticking together.

There is a minimap radar type system but its a bit different.

You need to spot the enemy before they show up, tanks can be camouflaged and you wont spot them untill they fire or you get close. Each tanks have different spotting range as well, you then replay enemy positions to other tanks via the radio systems, all have different ranges as well.. then there is also only a certain distance you can actually see.. so some enemies might have been spotted by your team mates but you will only be able to see them on the mini map..

Also tanks that have been spotted can hide again so they are now always showing up on the map, or on screen.

As for your second bit, yes like any game its hard to get people in pub games to actually work as a team and every now and then you will get grouped with some really bad players, you can get past this by joining a clan and running some tank company matches with them.. basically pre-made teams.

I hear several people say there is skill,but nobody has explained how skill works,go figure?

I can setup tons of scenarios where skill is huge in pvp games i play,so someone should be able to explain how skill works in this game.BTW telling me you have 4 tanks on 1 is not skill or anything revolving around BETTER tanks or BETTER ammo or anything of that nature.

Yes 4 tanks on one is not skill but tactics, but when that 1 tank kills the 4 tanks because he knows their weak spots and knows when to hide, when to shoot and how to angle his tank to best bounce the enemy shots... now that's skill..

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

8.6 release further broke the game with changes to accuracy, nerf to SPGs, and re-tiering of SPGs in matches. The result was chaos - players being shot by invisible enemy across the length of a map with laser accuracy, SPG players up in arms, and a matchmaker that suddenly went crazy in how it allocated vehicles to matches, creating very unbalanced teams and very bad matches.

Then 8.7 came out and matchmaking is further broken. Very common, for example, to see one team with something like 6 tier 10 on their side versus the other team which has 3. Very very unbalanced, poor matches where one team ROFLSTOMPS the other.

This leads to much anger and insults flying in forums and in game chat which leads to bans etc - a lot of angry people. Meanwhile the fanbois saying things like "carry harder" and "MM used to be worse" and otherwise defending a broken game.

In addition - WG stealth-nerfed accuracy back to pre-8.6 levels due to all the complaints, but their software version control is so bad they re-introduced several old bugs: ghost shells, cases where a shot is flying true to target and at last moment flies off at an angle (over or around the enemy - no hit), situation where when you drive a tank next to a bldg. (side scraping) to protect yourself all of a sudden your gun is pointing straight up for no reason (which is very annoying when in sniper mode - focus on enemy 1 sec, watching birds in the sky the next second).

Complaints about all of the issues are ignored and/or quickly quashed by WG on their forums  and more players get bans.

Bottom line - game is very broken at the moment, WG makes it worse each patch, and WG does not seem to care. So long as lemmings continue buying gold and lining their pockets, WG will never change.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

This game shouldn't even be mentioned here at MMORPG.com.

It isn't and has never been a MMO, it's a poor fps. And on top of it, even BF3 has better character development than this one.

To the flaws of the game, the thing I hate most is that an enemy tank isn't drawn on your screen unless it has been spotted. The tank can stand in the middle of a empty football field and it's not visible unless spotted. Why they did it that way is beyond me, but it's just plain stupid.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Originally posted by Pelaaja

To the flaws of the game, the thing I hate most is that an enemy tank isn't drawn on your screen unless it has been spotted. The tank can stand in the middle of a empty football field and it's not visible unless spotted. Why they did it that way is beyond me, but it's just plain stupid.

Because if tanks were shown all the time then being anything but a Heavy would be worthless, many of the long range sniper tanks can't take a hit. Relying on natural camo requires a extremely vigilant mod group to prevent people from modding the game to easily see targets or just tweaking graphics options to make it easier to spot enemies. Honestly if its an issue then you don't know the maps or your running way to aggressive.

• LogansanLogansan Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Yes 4 tanks on one is not skill but tactics, but when that 1 tank kills the 4 tanks because he knows their weak spots and knows when to hide, when to shoot and how to angle his tank to best bounce the enemy shots... now that's skill..

Technically that's Game Knowledge, Skill is  having the ability to react to what happening and implementing this knowledge, be it faster hand-eye coordination, been pixel accurate with mouse movement, having the ability to make decisions quickly etc. At least that’s the way I've always thought of it.

But your statement is basically correct  and I guess it really is acceptable to use the term "skill" in this context.

I agree that there can be a lot of skill/tactics//knowlege that can be on show in this game. I play WOT off and on over the last couple of years with my friends and although we are all free players a few are clearly much better at the playing the game them others. I'm likely the worst player in our little group as I have no interest in gaining the knowledge required to play the game "better", I have more than enough things to remember outside of any game and I’m getting a little old to learn (or to be more accurate, remember) too many new things. When talking about WOT with my friends I'm always a little amazed just how much knowledge about the different tanks they have (both as it applies to this game and real-world history as well).

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    You don't have to pay at all, not since they added buying gold ammo for in game currency. That in itself has caused all sorts of problems (especially with specials like this past weekends half price gold ammo) but the game is not pay to win.

When Rygel the XVI, Dominar to over 600 billion subjects speaks you best listen!

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

WHAAT you managed to get over tier 7+ tanks without having credit problems? Even with prem i had many games doing negativ credits... Its really sad that you have to grind up low tier tanks all the time to allow you playing higher ranks.

I paid one month had my fun and quitted since this low level tank farm made me bored

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

Wat

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Tried it, was an ok arena shooter for a while, but the P2W by way of RL cash tanks and gold ammo was a big turn off for me. At a certain point, you simply have to start throwing down some significant cash, or be relegated to low level public matches forever, which suck.

Played off and on for a few weeks and quit, no idea why people think this game is anything special, at all.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    All the people on here whining about the premium tanks must not actually know anything about them. Besides the increased credits they usually are subpar with the exception of the 59 and it even has weaknesses. I say this as an owner of quite a few of them. I just recently went back to the game and having fun with it again. For how long who knows. Also since they give out low tier premium tanks with promos u can get some 1-4 ones and even better free garage slots. Now that all consumables and gold rounds can be bought with credits I laugh at all the liars calling this P2W.
    Originally posted by Yizle
    All the people on here whining about the premium tanks must not actually know anything about them. Besides the increased credits they usually are subpar with the exception of the 59 and it even has weaknesses. I say this as an owner of quite a few of them. I just recently went back to the game and having fun with it again. For how long who knows. Also since they give out low tier premium tanks with promos u can get some 1-4 ones and even better free garage slots. Now that all consumables and gold rounds can be bought with credits I laugh at all the liars calling this P2W.

Yeah, with high tier tanks, especially the Russian bought ones, you dominate everything.

And it is impossible to keep those repaired without buying RL cash, unless you grind low tier missions forever. And actually enough credits to buy a high tier premium tank? Yeah, I hope you aren't doing anything for the next 3 months. And that is before you fire off one round of gold ammo. So, sure, technically you don't have to spend real money, but unless you grind credits like a multi-boxing Chinese gold farmer working in a labor camp, you do.

So, pay real cash = almost automatic win, that simple enough for you?

(Sure, sure you have beaten elite tanks in your crappy standard tanks, blah blah blah... but for most, the edge provided by elite tanks and free flowing gold ammo is very tough to overcome, and you get that edge by paying RL cash.)

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Yeah, with high tier tanks, especially the Russian bought ones, you dominate everything.

And it is impossible to keep those repaired without buying RL cash, unless you grind low tier missions forever. And actually enough credits to buy a high tier premium tank? Yeah, I hope you aren't doing anything for the next 3 months. And that is before you fire off one round of gold ammo. So, sure, technically you don't have to spend real money, but unless you grind credits like a multi-boxing Chinese gold farmer working in a labor camp, you do.

(Sure, sure you have beaten elite tanks in your crappy standard tanks, blah blah blah... but for most, the edge provided by elite tanks and free flowing gold ammo is very tough to overcome, and you get that edge by paying RL cash.)

If you mean the tier 10 Russian heavies I have those. And the Germans. Almost finished the French and American 57 line. Working on the mediums and finishing the TD chains now for Russia. Almost have the T10 Jag E100. So again I disagree with your opinion. Also I rarely fire gold ammo unless I was doing CW or TC. Since I do neither of those now I have a very large stockpile of gold rounds from those days. I also bought about 50 of each of the large 20k consumables using credits I have. I still have just under 10 million credits sitting there also. So what super powered Russian premium tank are you talking about? The KV5 with its wonderfully easy to hit R2D2? That is just funny. So your pay real cash= automatic win is a lie. Like most of your post.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    The "point" for me (when i still played) was occasional "jump in" fun for an hour or two.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by Burntvet

If you mean the tier 10 Russian heavies I have those. And the Germans. Almost finished the French and American 57 line. Working on the mediums and finishing the TD chains now for Russia. Almost have the T10 Jag E100. So again I disagree with your opinion. Also I rarely fire gold ammo unless I was doing CW or TC. Since I do neither of those now I have a very large stockpile of gold rounds from those days. I also bought about 50 of each of the large 20k consumables using credits I have. I still have just under 10 million credits sitting there also. So what super powered Russian premium tank are you talking about? The KV5 with its wonderfully easy to hit R2D2? That is just funny. So your pay real cash= automatic win is a lie. Like most of your post.

Cool story Bro.

Someone who is so heavily invested in this game is going to do what besides defend it at all costs? No one is going to hurt your Precious.

Whatever man, you can have your own opinion, but not your own facts, and you can't tell me what I did or did not see with my own eyes.

Please return to your own private Idaho, all is well !  :P