Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

People need to stop hiding behing the "it's a beta excuse"

ragz45ragz45 rochester hills, MIPosts: 686Member Uncommon

So tired of hearing "it's in beta" any time someone mentions bugs or problems with the game.  This is simply PR spin that Cryptic has put on their release, so that they can hide behind it as an excuse to avoid blame for ANY problems that crop up.

Games are not in beta if they:

  • Will not have a wipe before "release"
  • Are taking your money for subs or cash shops
If we as consumers keep spouting this "it's in beta" rhetoric BS, before you know it games will just stay in "beta" for a year or more while willingly taking your money.  Any problems you have in the games of the future.... hey "it's beta"

Comments

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by ragz45

    Games are not in beta if they:

    • Will not have a wipe before "release"
    • Are taking your money for subs or cash shops

    Says Who? Says You?

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • xanderxainxanderxain rowlett, TXPosts: 19Member Uncommon

    Things changed in 2011 man.

    closed beta = beta;

    open beta = soft launch;

    Everyone knows that.

  • reploidxreploidx Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 320Member
    Game is in Beta, the cash shop is not. Two separate entities that complement each other only. The Cryptics game has problems where as Perfect World's cash shop does not. There have been plenty of games in the past that have done the same as neverwinter, but everyone seems to forget that and just want to belly ache about it now. 
  • ShaighShaigh Posts: 541Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ragz45

    So tired of hearing "it's in beta" any time someone mentions bugs or problems with the game.  This is simply PR spin that Cryptic has put on their release, so that they can hide behind it as an excuse to avoid blame for ANY problems that crop up.

    Games are not in beta if they:

    • Will not have a wipe before "release"
    • Are taking your money for subs or cash shops
    If we as consumers keep spouting this "it's in beta" rhetoric BS, before you know it games will just stay in "beta" for a year or more while willingly taking your money.  Any problems you have in the games of the future.... hey "it's beta"

    For sub-games: "its just closed beta, the game will be better", "its not the launch build, the game will be much improved for launch.", "its only first week of launch, the game will be better", "its only first month, the game will be better", "they are killing the game by making it f2p".

     

    People will hide behind any excuse.

  • RabenwolfRabenwolf Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,445Member

    No, he is right. The game went Gold the moment real money started changing hands via item shop. You dont wipe when that happens, regardless of exploits or bugs.

    IN this case, calling the game Open Beta is just an excuse to write off severe issues that will be seen in a rushed launch...because thats what it is. A rushed launch. They know the quality isnt up to par either.

  • ragz45ragz45 rochester hills, MIPosts: 686Member Uncommon
    It's PR spin pure and simple.  Would you be ok if your State Governor lost 300 million dollars the first month or two they were in office, and just shrugged and said "Hey it's beta."  When you are being paid to provide a service, that crap stops flying.  At least it does with educated people....
  • EquintinEquintin st-jean sur richelieu, QCPosts: 131Member
    People need to realize this game rocks and for now is the best mmo out there point.

    image

  • KareliaKarelia HeraklionPosts: 668Member
    Originally posted by ragz45

    So tired of hearing "it's in beta" any time someone mentions bugs or problems with the game.  This is simply PR spin that Cryptic has put on their release, so that they can hide behind it as an excuse to avoid blame for ANY problems that crop up.

    Games are not in beta if they:

    • Will not have a wipe before "release"
    • Are taking your money for subs or cash shops
    If we as consumers keep spouting this "it's in beta" rhetoric BS, before you know it games will just stay in "beta" for a year or more while willingly taking your money.  Any problems you have in the games of the future.... hey "it's beta"

    agree 100%

  • atuerstaratuerstar melbournePosts: 234Member

    Perfect World games exist in states of perpetual open beta. They release new class's, expansion packs, mounts - and nickel and dime you for every piece and still flag it all as Open Beta.

     

    To PWE open beta is just part of their propaganda mechanism. Its pointless arguing the definition in relation to this company.

     

  • DahkohtDahkoht Pelham, ALPosts: 290Member

    Considering stamina has been discovered to be checked client side , and you can now give yourself unlimited stamina with a quick executable ,

     

    I'd say it's more open-alpha status now.

  • Slappy1Slappy1 columbus, OHPosts: 458Member

    I can agree with you op.on all you said.

    At the same time I just think this is where mmo's are as a whole.They want to get money from package buyer's,so they give them perk's.They also don't want to be held accountable for the bug's/exploit's and mistake's they may linger in their game.

    So they so called launch the game in open beta and promise no wipes.They try and squelch the bug's/exploit's and then try to spin them in a positive light,making them seem miniscule.Promises seem to be a big thing they do also.

    I'm just looking at it more and more like it's expected.Games are just rushed anymore,it's like they're mostly in it for a cash grab and let the dust settle where it may.I'm not saying all are doing this,just that it seem's that way.

    Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

    Arya Stark

  • RaysheRayshe London, ONPosts: 1,284Member
    This new definition of beta is kinda annoying. When i say i played a beta it means i played Closed beta. Back when they had different builds of the game to see which one worked the best. i had this for TSW, i had this for SWTOR, i had this for every beta i have claimed to be in. I get kinda annoyed when people say things like "i was in the beta because i preordered" when in reality they were part of a head start at best.

    Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

  • ZairuZairu Portland, ORPosts: 469Member
    Originally posted by Slappy1

    I can agree with you op.on all you said.

    At the same time I just think this is where mmo's are as a whole.They want to get money from package buyer's,so they give them perk's.They also don't want to be held accountable for the bug's/exploit's and mistake's they may linger in their game.

    So they so called launch the game in open beta and promise no wipes.They try and squelch the bug's/exploit's and then try to spin them in a positive light,making them seem miniscule.Promises seem to be a big thing they do also.

    I'm just looking at it more and more like it's expected.Games are just rushed anymore,it's like they're mostly in it for a cash grab and let the dust settle where it may.I'm not saying all are doing this,just that it seem's that way.

     

     

    they learned it from Hollywood.

  • ScottgunScottgun Williamsville, NYPosts: 356Member
    Isn't this just a forum-bait variation on the "This isn't really free-to-play"  we've done thousands of times?

    Now we're calling prostitutes "sex workers". What's next? Calling hit men "end-of-life technicians"?

  • HorrorScopeHorrorScope Norcal, CAPosts: 612Member
    No doubt it's a corporate trick.
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Fresno, CAPosts: 615Member
    Originally posted by Equintin
    People need to realize this game rocks and for now is the best mmo out there point.

    I don't think that's going to happen. I mean, just think of the logistics of getting us all to fall on our heads hard at the same time.

    EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member

    Developers need to start making their games better. Some of the ppl here have spent nothing on this game. If the devs want to keep getting your nothing they better start doing a better job.

     

  • DibdabsDibdabs FelvershamPosts: 2,604Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ragz45

    So tired of hearing "it's in beta" any time someone mentions bugs or problems with the game.  This is simply PR spin that Cryptic has put on their release, so that they can hide behind it as an excuse to avoid blame for ANY problems that crop up.

    Games are not in beta if they:

    • Will not have a wipe before "release"
    • Are taking your money for subs or cash shops
    If we as consumers keep spouting this "it's in beta" rhetoric BS, before you know it games will just stay in "beta" for a year or more while willingly taking your money.  Any problems you have in the games of the future.... hey "it's beta"

    Both stances have some merit but the pointless quibbling by obsessives, in thread after thread, over what the game is or isn't is extremely tedious.  The game is what it is, so here's a novel concept - why don't both entrenched camps just just leave the angst and outrage at the door and just play on that basis.  It's a GAME, not a relationship and, like other games, it is there simply to be played for entertainment.  

  • synnsynn killeen, TXPosts: 546Member
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

    No, he is right. The game went Gold the moment real money started changing hands via item shop. You dont wipe when that happens, regardless of exploits or bugs.

    IN this case, calling the game Open Beta is just an excuse to write off severe issues that will be seen in a rushed launch...because thats what it is. A rushed launch. They know the quality isnt up to par either.

     QFT. This is pretty much the standard in F2P games though. Once they hit open beta they start authorizing players to buy currency to use in their cash shops.

  • apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon
    But it is in beta... Oh right I can't say that. My bad, my response was the beta test response. I'm also beta testing this apply too

    No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

  • ThreshThresh Waterloo, ONPosts: 52Member
    Originally posted by atuerstar

    Perfect World games exist in states of perpetual open beta. They release new class's, expansion packs, mounts - and nickel and dime you for every piece and still flag it all as Open Beta.

     

    To PWE open beta is just part of their propaganda mechanism. Its pointless arguing the definition in relation to this company.

     

     

    EA does the same. a F2P i used to play is in open beta for 5 years now. It's nothing but  a cheap gimmick. Cannot believe people are so gullible. If they advertise "no-wipe" and cash-spending opportunities they can name it soft-open-omega-beta-pi but that doesn't change the state of the game at all.

Sign In or Register to comment.