Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Does Something Almost Right?

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

EA has decided to drop their Online Pass program for future games, which makes selling used games possible.

An article:
http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/15/ea-kills-its-controversial-online-pass-program/

So, they've done at least one thing, kind of right. Existing games that require Online Pass will still require Online Pass, but future games will not.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• tats27tats27 Member UncommonPosts: 95

After the xbox one reveal it's obvious why EA did it. Now the new consoles will just charge you to play used games.

Hope Sony doesn't go this route.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    You can't do something out of the goodness of your heart when you don't have a heart.
  • NamelessCNamelessC Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    You can't do something out of the goodness of your heart when you don't have a heart.

Loled so hard

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by tats27

After the xbox one reveal it's obvious why EA did it. Now the new consoles will just charge you to play used games.

^Basically what I'm thinking why they ended up doing what they did. 

• xxpigxxxxpigxx Member UncommonPosts: 412

Yeah.  lol

Stupidly obvious.

I too hope that Sony does not go that direction.  Ifo that I have heard, though, Sony says that it is up to the publishers.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

EA Sport - Challenge everything.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

/thread

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123

I agree. This is the only reason why they droped it. They were probably the one who suggested charging for used games to Microsoft in the first place.

I already decided to buy ps4 anyway, and i hope greedy Microsoft fails hard. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by xxpigxx

Yeah.  lol

Stupidly obvious.

I too hope that Sony does not go that direction.  Ifo that I have heard, though, Sony says that it is up to the publishers.

after seeing all the details of the 'new' xbox one, then Sony only have to do a few things to totally dominate the console market, not charging again for people buying used games would be a huge thing - just being able to lend a friend a game to try out in itself would be pretty good, has to be said though, microsoft shares slumped on that particular bit of news, and sony's jumped by 9 percent, talk about instant market reactions image

microsofts epic failness knows no bounds it seems, after totally dropping the ball with windows 8, the new sparkly OS that nobody likes, they now bring a console that most likely, nobody will want. Like how about unless you physically power down the sodding thing, its still 'listening' and btw, those camera's, its still watching too, nothing like having eyes and ears in your living room that are connected to the internet after all, maybe microsoft just forgot that the whole reason to buy a console is to play games, good job Sony remembered the important bit eh. Sony just needs to step up to the bat now to absolutely dominate the console market, they can do that easily by having the PSN network access totally free, or at least a hell of a lot cheaper than microsofts xbox live system, and by allowing console owners to 'swap games' without having to pay full whack for it. At the moment Microsoft have managed to come up with several reasons why you shouldnt buy their new console, and the red flags on that baby are just HUGE.. persuading people to buy the xbox one is going to take a miracle, especially in view of the fact that the PS4 is a more powerful games machine than the xbox one, just from the difference in using ddr 5 versus the much lower bandwidth ddr 3 in the xbox, and that the PS4 also has an actual GPU, with an ATI 7850, which gives PS4 the edge over the xbox one in the one thing consoles are supposed to be for, which is, playing actual games.  image

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by lizardbones

EA has decided to drop their Online Pass program for future games, which makes selling used games possible.

An article:
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/15/ea-kills-its-controversial-online-pass-program/

So, they've done at least one thing, kind of right. Existing games that require Online Pass will still require Online Pass, but future games will not.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/ea-online-pass-content-now-free

Looks like they're dropping it from all games now.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Phry
    The main thing ps4 has over xbox one hardware wise is the RAM.

Xbox is using ddr3
    Ps4 is using ddr5 as used on graphics cards

The RAM on both consoles is shared, they don't have separate gpu RAM. So in the case of the xbox loading textures and what have you will be a big bottleneck compared to a ps4 or gaming pc.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by lizardbones EA has decided to drop their Online Pass program for future games, which makes selling used games possible. An article: http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/15/ea-kills-its-controversial-online-pass-program/ So, they've done at least one thing, kind of right. Existing games that require Online Pass will still require Online Pass, but future games will not.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/ea-online-pass-content-now-free

Looks like they're dropping it from all games now.

Wow. Let's here it for the video game market!

• IssieaIssiea Member Posts: 75

I second this.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Issiea

I second this.

So there is nothing like a second chance nor forgiveness? is it not a sign that actually game players don't have a heart and not developers?

Something to think about....

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Issiea
    Originally posted by DamonVile You can't do something out of the goodness of your heart when you don't have a heart.

I second this.

I never said they did it out of the "goodness of their hearts". They are doing the right thing for consumers, which means doing the right thing for their company's bottom line. It's win-win.