Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xbox ONE

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by slofreak

XBOX One Reveal: Angry Rant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

I think Joe points out perfectly why MS made the right choice in the long run.  Hard-core gamers are a small and dwindling sub-group. Casual games and "one-stop-shop" equipment will be the future.

A casual household will only buy one console and that will be the one that has the most features. Like how the PS3 pretty much lived on the blu-ray player with the general public.

This have been a good conversation

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by Kaijin2k3
    Originally posted by Cochran1

So far it's confirmed my decision to stick to PS4 / PC. I have all systems now, but my 360 sees no use outside the occasional Gears game with my bro-in-law, and my Wii collects dust. PS3 definitely sees the most use.

Beyond that, I'm hoping Sony does not pull a "fee for used games" move, especially not attaching a game disc to one account. It already annoys me that save games are tied to an account, so when I've tried to continue a save game at my work's PS3 during down time, I get c-blocked by that crud. If they do move to the same measure of tying the entire game to a profile, I'll skip PS4 as well. Luckily there's been no word of that.

Actually the second hand games rumor has been updated http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/05/xbox-one-will-have-a-pre-owned-game-fee-to-curb-used-game-sales/  

Update: Xbox support on Twitter has confirmed that there would be “no fee” associated with used games. Apparently there was a previous miscommunication with Wired:

That's great. I don't buy used games, but I've always been under the impression that the second hand market directly aids the first hand market, so I've never agreed to this ideology that used games should be blocked.

Having said that, the main issue for me personally is still tying the disc to the profile/account (as I mentioned taking my games to my work consoles to play on, which use a separate profile/account). No fee is still great news no matter which way you slice it, though!

My curiosity though is simple. If my games are being tied to my account, and my account is transferable. Would i then in theory be able to transfer my account to be on 2 consoles. And if that is possible with things like Cloud could i then do the same with lets say... my save data.

If this is possible it would win points in my eyes.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by Rayshe

So far it's confirmed my decision to stick to PS4 / PC. I have all systems now, but my 360 sees no use outside the occasional Gears game with my bro-in-law, and my Wii collects dust. PS3 definitely sees the most use.

Beyond that, I'm hoping Sony does not pull a "fee for used games" move, especially not attaching a game disc to one account. It already annoys me that save games are tied to an account, so when I've tried to continue a save game at my work's PS3 during down time, I get c-blocked by that crud. If they do move to the same measure of tying the entire game to a profile, I'll skip PS4 as well. Luckily there's been no word of that.

Actually the second hand games rumor has been updated http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/05/xbox-one-will-have-a-pre-owned-game-fee-to-curb-used-game-sales/  

Update: Xbox support on Twitter has confirmed that there would be “no fee” associated with used games. Apparently there was a previous miscommunication with Wired:

Reading it over. it sounds more to me like they pulled a "holy shit they REALLY dont like that idea... eh... eh... Miscommunication go go!!"

Well it seemed fishy to me because most were saying it would work by tying the disc to the user account, that is exactly what sony patented http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-patents-tech-to-block-used-games-6401992. As at odds competitively as the two companies are, I find it hard to believe that Microsoft swallowed their pride and paid sony for the rights to use the tech.

I don't. think of it this way. you invent something that other people really hate so you decide not to use it. your competition steps up and goes "that's awesome sell it to us" What do you do, tell them how bad the reaction was and make it possible that they can get a leg up on you. or sell it to them and walk away laughing.

Or if they didnt buy it, looked at the idea and made their own version.

Yeah but if they're not going though with the idea it's a win for consumers like myself (many of my titles are second hand) and merchants who deal heavily in second hand games. 

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

My curiosity though is simple. If my games are being tied to my account, and my account is transferable. Would i then in theory be able to transfer my account to be on 2 consoles. And if that is possible with things like Cloud could i then do the same with lets say... my save data.

This is true, and it's one way of looking at it. I do this on our computers since every one of them has Steam :P

Unfortunately we have internal reasons why our console accounts are kept seperate from our personal ones, so it won't apply to me. But of the general public, I can definitely see it as a positive in this light.

Snip!!

Yeah but if they're not going though with the idea it's a win for consumers like myself (many of my titles are second hand) and merchants who deal heavily in second hand games. 

Your preaching to the choir. all my games are second hand. as i said before, i'm poor.  Luckily we don't have to worry about it, since used games are not going to be blocked on console.

However, i just thought about it. It does make me wonder about this whole installation thing. if i let my friend borrow my game, i lose the ability to play the installed version right, its pretty much the way they said it. how much do i have to go though afterwards to play it again. do i have to do the entire install again? anyone who owns a PS3 can tell how much of a pain in the ass this would be.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

That's great. I don't buy used games, but I've always been under the impression that the second hand market directly aids the first hand market, so I've never agreed to this ideology that used games should be blocked.

Having said that, the main issue for me personally is still tying the disc to the profile/account (as I mentioned taking my games to my work consoles to play on, which use a separate profile/account). No fee is still great news no matter which way you slice it, though!

I haven't found any info on that, and I must say I'm curious about it now too. I would like to see that happen.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    So far the only game I'm looking forward to on the new generation of consoles is Destiny. Being that it's going to be available for all of them PS4 is the only console I'm thinking about buying.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

First off I got directtv, and I don't need my xbox being my tv tuner.  Second off I don't have kenetix I have just a regular xbox 360 I hardly play that. 

So from what all I seen they tried to put everything and the kitchen sink in there, and I don't think its going to work too well. 

I just think they over reached. 

Originally posted by Xzen
    So far the only game I'm looking forward to on the new generation of consoles is Destiny. Being that it's going to be available for all of them PS4 is the only console I'm thinking about buying.

The only game i'm really itching in anticipation for is Beyond: Two Souls, heavy rain was a great game. but i honestly haven't been looking into their launch list... i mean at all.

Because i can.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Originally posted by LuciferIAm
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Does the PS4 have proper Kinect like capabilities? If it doesn't, I will probably go for the Xbox. Conventional gaming will be the same on both consoles so that doesn't really matter. Both will have the hardware for all the upcoming games, will look almost identical and most games are developed for all console platforms so it doesn't really matter.

PS4 hasn't announced that AFAIK.  What PS4 has going for it is form factor, impressive graphics, and a metric BUTT TON of exclusive titles.

Edit:  Adding a run down of PS4 exclusives.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-57570438-222/making-sense-of-the-ps4-game-lineup/

Lot of microsoft hate, zzz, whatever though. they announced 15 exclusives with 8 new IPS in the first year of xbox, which is pretty much a buy for me.

Over half are kinetic games.

Kinnect games can be quite fun :D Why the Kinnect hate? 

I obviously can't speak for everyone but this whole controller revolution has been a pain in my rear end and a waste of resources, I hated this developement path since Nintendo started this crap with the Wii.

Snip!!

Your preaching to the choir. all my games are second hand. as i said before, i'm poor.  Luckily we don't have to worry about it, since used games are not going to be blocked on console.

However, i just thought about it. It does make me wonder about this whole installation thing. if i let my friend borrow my game, i lose the ability to play the installed version right, its pretty much the way they said it. how much do i have to go though afterwards to play it again. do i have to do the entire install again? anyone who owns a PS3 can tell how much of a pain in the ass this would be.

From what is being said you won't need the disc for your installed games and will have the ability to re-download them at any time. As for friends borrowing them I did read somewhere that they will be able to digitally purchase rights to the borrowed game rather than purchase and fresh install a new copy. So I wouldn't think that lending a game would stop you from playing it anytime you want.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

The live stream is up!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthickey/2013/05/21/next-gen-xbox-reveal-event-live-blog/

Are you excited ? :)

Not really. The 360 was the worst of the 3 consoles last generation and it seems to be more of the same this time around.

Hows the most sold system the worst? guess people like spending money on the worst system lol.

Actually, the Wii sold the most systems. Not that numbers count for much of anything. WoW isn't a very good MMO, yet it's still near top in the west.

It had almost no exclusives, expensive and poor online functionality, it cost money for devs and players to patch and get DLC, it had the highest hardware failure rate, it had the weakest specs, do I need to go on?

Snip!!

From what is being said you won't need the disc for your installed games and will have the ability to re-download them at any time. As for friends borrowing them I did read somewhere that they will be able to digitally purchase rights to the borrowed game rather than purchase and fresh install a new copy. So I wouldn't think that lending a game would stop you from playing it anytime you want.

Giving the option to buy it afterwards is a good idea, So long as it doesn't cut the games content short (turning it into a demo so to speak).

I would have to break down the numbers on how much each company gets for a new game sale and a used game sale, because i could honestly see this being very beneficial to the used game market if anyone who buys new gets to keep their game. Think about it. buy the game install then trade in, you still Keep the game. Used games would land a lower cost since you cant install and there would be more titles to sell. your high ticket games resell quickly making Gamestop money, maybe increase the cost of a new game since you can get money back and you don't really lose the game. at that point your not losing the game, just the hardware to install it. people who don't want to pay extra still get the game however they need a disc to play it. Maybe make the New game version a special edition that comes with some benefit to paying extra. Like all DLC goes to you for free. Have these rights to the people who buy used for a fee.

Looking at it this way, the consumer is still getting bent over. However at least this way companies are using a bit of lube.

Because i can.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Seriously this has to be one of the worst reveals. Barely any games were shown. No used game function, requires a connection to net ONCE A DAY. Its not a GAME console anymore its a living room entertainment system... Just look at this. http://www.gamespot.com/twitter-battle/xbox-vs-ps4/ 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Very underwhelmed so far.

Nothing in it that I must have.

I don't need my Xbox to watch TV, but the way they charge I'll need Xbox Gold to watch TV.

Not that it's the only solution, but a Roku is less than US$50...forever...and the size of the palm of your hand.

Just sayin...

Unless for some reason you are wicked much into Kinect, I see no reason to have an XBox at all any more.  

I confess, I have some exercise games I like -- and that's the only reason I'm keeping mine, otherwise it would be so gone

Our living room is going to look like this:

• XBox360 with no Gold, with a couple jumpy and yoga games (I need to confirm I can do this, but I think these play offline -- and if they don't, it might just go away, and I'll do more water aerobics ;)
    • Roku
    • TV -- big 30-something-inch old half-ton Sony lo-res monster with bright saturated flat screen CRT colors nom.  Doubles as heat in the winter.  Big entertainment hutch thingy.
    • Blueray
    • Laptop desk that tucks away so people can noodle on a laptop while watching a movie if they wanna -- one of those ones that looks like a cherrywood mini drafting table crossbred with a TV dinner tray on wheels.
    • NO cable-per-se.
    • NO landline.
    • Just cable bband at the home-office level (and only because our neighborhood gets no FIOS for another 2yrs at least).
    • Big comfy sofabed couch from Craigslist, originally from hotel liquidation.  Resistant to cheetos and nuclear attack, yet surprisingly inviting and buried in South Asian and Korean throw pillows.
    • Coffee table covered in baskets for peripherals, screwed in charger modules, etc.

The point here is, this is a set up for social enjoyment of media.  Stream Roku to TV.  Stream livestream from laptop to TV.  Stream social viewer to TV, and smacktalk from mobiles on the side.  Sit side by side on couch and noodle on social widgets while dissing latest Syfy dawg premiere to friends on various coasts.

Otherwise, we are -- even among the folks in the same house -- on rigs in various bedrooms over the net, in the same or separate games, right?  The livingroom hearth is not the focus -- the cloud is.

And dude, I'm 53, and this is not my mother's basement...  I am the head of household here (and I am the [single] mom...) and this is my geek playground for me and  housemate and friends and sometimes son when he's home from college.

Seems to me that's the echoes of a deathknell of the console somewhere in the distance?

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Death to ze consoles! long live freedom of the custom built PCs!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

WTB undecided option. Honestly, its all about how dumb the used game deal is (can we not borrow games anymore). The concept of connect as a tv could be interesting, and in some ways nice since I don't typically focus on console games so having it connected could be nice for ease of use. The used game deal (I can't borrow games anymore?) is a big issue (which I feel used games are bad, not particularly for players trading but 3rd party like gamestop wracking up money that should go to developers) and worst is always on. From what was mentioned you have to connect online at least once a day (24 hours). That means when I want to play my console usually "Oh no powers out, console time!" I might not even be able to play it at all. I go someplace without internet? To bad. 

I have to wait and see. I still prefer an xbox controller over Playstation any day. Its all about if these negative effects stick out to much. Even if PS4 costs $100 more then a Xbox One, if I'm forced to be online once everytime I play, I'm going to have a big  issue.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by DavisFlight Originally posted by Seelinnikoi The live stream is up! http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthickey/2013/05/21/next-gen-xbox-reveal-event-live-blog/ Are you excited ? :)  
    Not really. The 360 was the worst of the 3 consoles last generation and it seems to be more of the same this time around.
    Hows the most sold system the worst? guess people like spending money on the worst system lol.

You know, at the end of the day system specs are worthless. People will go to where the 'good' games are.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Originally posted by Seelinnikoi The live stream is up! http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthickey/2013/05/21/next-gen-xbox-reveal-event-live-blog/ Are you excited ? :)  

You know, at the end of the day system specs are worthless. People will go to where the 'good' games are.

Wanna know why it was the most sold system. Everyone had to buy 3 because it kept breaking. so i guess its a great system to someone with a mass disposable income. i like my things to not break after buying them. So i like my PS3.

Because i can.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

I've been switching to PC gaming exclusively for a while now. That being said, I've always supported the Xbox 360, and by extension, Microsoft. I still have my original, first-year 360 console. The DVD drive is finally starting to conk out on it, but other than that it still works flawlessly after thousands of hours (protip: don't wrap your console in shag carpet and it won't RROD) of gaming enjoyment.

That ended today. I no longer support Microsoft or the new Xbox. Seriously, what the hell are they thinking? The 360 was successful because MS focused on the games. They were leading the market, and were in an excellent position to completely trounce Sony in the coming console generation.

Well, that's out the freaking door. No backwards compatibility, mandatory game installation, mandatory online, Xbox LIVE still subscription based... everything's backwards. 500 gigabyte internal HDD? That's nothing when games are 25-50 gigs each! Maybe if it was an SSD I could see it, but...

UGH. I'm too angry & disappointed to think clearly right now. I'll just focus on keeping my PC up to date from now on.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

While taking into account that this is nowhere near all the information for Xbox One(or the PS4 for that matter) and that they ware clearly mostly ignoring games to focus on media aspects for this presentation,still not impressed most of what is shown I can do from my PC and/or Nexus 7.Or like others have said I can buy a roku,appletv if I want to add that functionality to my TV...or buy a smart TV next time I  need to get a TV.

Also I think they chose Xbox One because it's gonna cost the same as a  unlocked HTC One hehe.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

More BS console crap.... I've never owned one, neither will I ever. We need to take people away from the TV or screens and get us doing things outside again like we used to many years ago. Media is a major reason many people are now over weight and they just feeding this market to kill people by trying to get people to keep buying this crap.

The reason relationships are breaking down is because people have forgotten how to communicate, social activities are a dying thing we all need to get back too. What these console companies are doing is trying to get people addictive to their BS so the have a captured market and keep us spending our money on this shit.

The TV/Media/Console/PC have taken over our lives and we are becoming couch potatoes, we are all watching these income reducers and for me this is real sad.

SO F.U MS.

Asbo

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by SloFreak

XBOX One Reveal: Angry Rant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

Thanks for posting that. I'm always entertained by his take on things.  Its not the usual fan kiddie script.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by NightBandit

More BS console crap.... I've never owned one, neither will I ever. We need to take people away from the TV or screens and get us doing things outside again like we used to many years ago. Media is a major reason many people are now over weight and they just feeding this market to kill people by trying to get people to keep buying this crap.

The reason relationships are breaking down is because people have forgotten how to communicate, social activities are a dying thing we all need to get back too. What these console companies are doing is trying to get people addictive to their BS so the have a captured market and keep us spending our money on this shit.

The TV/Media/Console/PC have taken over our lives and we are becoming couch potatoes, we are all watching these income reducers and for me this is real sad.

SO F.U MS.

500+ hours of EVE, thanks for the advice =)

I've watched a conference about a game console, but they talked mostly about TV and Motion control interaction.

Also half of those stuff i won't be able to use because i don't live in the US.

What a terrible way to show your product for the  first time.

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Yet again, the only way either SONY or Microsoft will have me buy their consoles is through their Exclusives. Frankly I'm not surprised.