Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: F2P battle | Aion vs Rift vs DCUO vs AoW vs Dragon Prophet.

Aion

Rift

DC: Universe Online

Age of Wushu

Dragon Prophet

All are recently released or received recent improvements, updates. These all are considered "Free to Play" MMORPG's and are most discussed.

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I'm going to go with Rift. It's already a quality, if generic game and its announced f2p model seems reasonable on paper. Dragon's Prophet is alpha quality and doesn't show much sign of being anything other than a cash grab. The others just don't strike me as being on par with Rift. 
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

You forgot TERA and SWTOR. ;)

AoW hasn't had any outstanding success, it's going to remain quite niche, Aion and TERA are about the same success wise, I believe DP will flop and Rift has the potential to become very popular. 

In the end, I don't know what will do the best but it's a battle between TERA, Aion and Rift, they are the only quality F2P games out atm.

SWTOR will always be the most popular though due to it's IP so I don't feel like comparing it to the others.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Where is the 'None of these, tried them all, and none were as good as -Insert game you play here-' option?
  • XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Someone needs to take a class of Poll Designing 101.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

AION wins hands down, with their Truly Free to play model, there is no game that beats it.

Really amazing game and  has no different types of accounts, everyone has access to everything at the same pace and rate.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

well that will depend on what degree you consider they as f2p, age of wushu if you don't ahve VIP you are damned, unless you can AFK in the game, but VIP make lvling a lot faster and easyer.

DC universe I still don't find a good game, I can see a fan of DC comics playing.

Rift is solid but its not F2P yet so save that for later, also it ahve a too generic combat and gameplay

Aion was good during his P2P phase after that the quality jsut are not there anymore or since I played 2 years and my guild there died don't see a reason to play it, still log 1 time each month to pay my house rent in the game....

dragon prophet is only hear says till now from what I know end of the month they will be on open beta so can say till there(or if I will even check it out)

if you consider the game a F2P being the least restritive for now Aion win,

the most closer to a sandbox and free world pvp? age of wushu

Rift if you want a good skill spam game like WoW but with a better overall feeling

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KopogeroxxKopogeroxx Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Xsonic

Someone needs to learn that those are the best F2P options right now. Anything else does not need to be mentioned. You are welcome to justify my poll design with a valid argument, though. I doubt you'll be able to name one other F2P MMORPG significantly better than those choices.

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98
    As said above forgot SWTOR / Tera... But I would have to say Aion is the best F2P model.  as far as which game is best well they all kinda have their own issues ...

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149

Tera has a better model than Aion and is more popular also. Less restrictions for f2p players.

Originally posted by alkarionlog

well that will depend on what degree you consider they as f2p, age of wushu if you don't ahve VIP you are damned, unless you can AFK in the game, but VIP make lvling a lot faster and easyer.

DC universe I still don't find a good game, I can see a fan of DC comics playing.

Rift is solid but its not F2P yet so save that for later, also it ahve a too generic combat and gameplay

Aion was good during his P2P phase after that the quality jsut are not there anymore or since I played 2 years and my guild there died don't see a reason to play it, still log 1 time each month to pay my house rent in the game....

dragon prophet is only hear says till now from what I know end of the month they will be on open beta so can say till there(or if I will even check it out)

if you consider the game a F2P being the least restritive for now Aion win,

the most closer to a sandbox and free world pvp? age of wushu

Rift if you want a good skill spam game like WoW but with a better overall feeling

Thx for the feedback. Things like F2P restriction, endgame design and overall features as well as security and so on will all play a roll on which one will outshine the rest.

Originally posted by Abrraham

Tera has a better model than Aion and is more popular also. Less restrictions for f2p players.

no way... The only thing tera has that aion doesn't (including cash shop) is the optional sub which actually benifits the player. other then that both have zero barrier of entry and don't hinder F2P players.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

Originally posted by Newnan
    As said above forgot SWTOR / Tera... But I would have to say Aion is the best F2P model.  as far as which game is best well they all kinda have their own issues ...

I've gathered enough negative feedback to stay away from those F2P MMORPG's for the time being. I hope that will change though in the long run.

no way... The only thing tera has that aion doesn't (including cash shop) is the optional sub which actually benifits the player. other then that both have zero barrier of entry and don't hinder F2P players.

I see more restrictions here  http://www.aionfreetoplay.com/website/features/ than here http://tera-europe.com/tera-club.html

Aion indeed has the best F2P model and overall great MMORPG, with the 4.0 coming in June it will be tempting not to consider it.

Dragon Prophet seems to have very interesting design and approach. I can't deny that I love innovative MMO's and SOE is one of the best at that.

DCUO a great IP, great combat and very playable and affordable. $10 for DLC of my choice. Not bad for a fully voiced MMO.

Age of Wushu and Rift are kinda of the bottom of my list right now. I love Age of Wushu's sandox approach, but EVE's skill system and limiting experience without VIP is making me cautions about it. RIFT, not so much info yet or how much content this game will actually have and what I'm looking to spend for it.

Originally posted by Kopogeroxx

I've gathered enough negative feedback to stay away from those F2P MMORPG's for the time being. I hope that will change though in the long run.

These all are considered "Free to Play" MMORPG's and are most discussed.

That's simply not the truth. You should rephrase this topic because it's only your personal opinion.

I see more restrictions here  http://www.aionfreetoplay.com/website/features/ than here http://tera-europe.com/tera-club.html

both those are the europe versions of the game, and I was talking about US versions. 

https://account.enmasse.com/users/new

http://truly-free.aiononline.com/

try those for US versions and to see for your self :)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Years ago perception might have been two types of games, subscription or F2P junk.  As I see it, this has changed considerably with many high profile games either made for F2P or converted to it.  (note: as used in this sentence, F2P includes Freemium)

Rift's switch has me wondering what next.  Are we going to see a F2P market significantly dominated by a handful of titles?  And if so what will become of the less popular games?

It's getting pretty damned competitive, if you ask me.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I vote None of these options since my money is on Neverwinter.  Great game and great content with no letting up (hiccups aside).

SUP

That's simply not the truth. You should rephrase this topic because it's only your personal opinion.

TERA has worse endgame design right now than most other F2P MMO's mentioned here. I do hope it's other than graphically appealing in the long run.

• XsonicXsonic Member UncommonPosts: 93

Someone needs to learn that those are the best F2P options right now. Anything else does not need to be mentioned. You are welcome to justify my poll design with a valid argument, though. I doubt you'll be able to name one other F2P MMORPG significantly better than those choices.

I don't even have to answer for myself to such a simple matter. I'd type more but there's really no need.

both those are the europe versions of the game, and I was talking about US versions. 

https://account.enmasse.com/users/new

http://truly-free.aiononline.com/

try those for US versions and to see for your self :)

Ok, don't know about the US versions.

Anyway, if you compare the traffic of Tera and Aion, you will see, that much more people seem to attend the website of Tera - now referring to the US versions as well. The same on this site.

Check the section "most popular" and "best voted games"

I don't even have to answer for myself to such a simple matter. I'd type more but there's really no need.

So don't. This topic is focused on those 5 MMORPG's. It doesn't need to get derailed to anything from SWTOR, TERA to Neverwinter or Ragnarok 2.

And back on topic. We can surely pull more info on some of these MMO's which have been proven over the years (Aion, DCUO and Rift to be exact)

TERA has worse endgame design right now than most other F2P MMO's mentioned here. I do hope it's other than graphically appealing in the long run.

Common, you didn't even play Dragon's Prophet in endgame. Sorry, you want arguments from other people but you have none yourself.

So don't. This topic is focused on those 5 MMORPG's. It doesn't need to get derailed to anything from SWTOR, TERA to Neverwinter or Ragnarok 2.

Then stop saying crap like "most discussed"...

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

You haven't even played it.

This is a poor pool and it reflects only your personal opinion, not adding TERA and SWTOR based on "gathered feedback" as well as a "none of the above" or a "other(specify which)" option makes it bad.

Also you mention TERAs endgame but you haven't even played Dragons prophet yet and they havent even released their endgame... so you're just blowing smoke.