Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet Reveals New Game Pricing

Comments

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    29.95 would have been a better way to get peeps in.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• fumoffu1fumoffu1 Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Thupli
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by cinos
    Isn't that the price it's always been?

I think it was $60 before... I know, not really a big drop, eh?

you are right Bill, this is just for laughs...50 down from 60$...

A 16% discount isn't very much?  I think that's pretty significant.

i am very sure there are thousands of ppl out there itchin to buy gw2 since 9 months but they lacked those 10$ until now.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

LMAO I'm sorry but this is just laughable. WOW just wow. And I have to strongly disagree with their take on "aggressively updated game" That isn't most of our takes on their updates lately. Just head on over to the forums you'll see what I mean.

People rightly complaining left and right about their new 1 day completed living story crap that doesn't even last the entire month until their next chapter and their "special refocus on getting players back into the open world" instead of in a single zone. 

LOL doesn't even do that everyone's in southsun right now so the world is still just as empty as ever. They really should have made this game $20 for all the lack of development/bug fixes they've done since launch!

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

sexy profile pic Bill :P.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Lol @ reduced price being fifty bucks
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    [mod edit]

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    So a price drop is a bad thing.  Cool.  No, really.  Save your silly first world problems, I don't want to hear an explanation of why it's not fair.  This forum blows my mind sometimes.
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by SaunZ

I was hoping for a Steam holiday special for like $9.99

Sz

:o)

Or at least 29.99-19.99. I don't know how many copies they the think they will sell at what is considered a new release price for other games.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Agreed.  But the right direction.  Is an expansion in the works?  Base game might drop price when that comes out.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by SaunZ

I was hoping for a Steam holiday special for like $9.99

Sz

:o)

The only MMO I remember seeing that low on Steam was Rift.  GW1 hasn't even gotten that low, to my recollection.  GW2 never will.

I bought the GW1 Trilogy for a friend for $7.49 about 2 and a half years ago on Steam.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    I got borderlands 2 this week since it was on sale for like $13. I honk they came out around the same time. I bought and used gw2 like a drugie and am still happy. But $49.99 is to much it really needs $39.99 but not NUY PUR GAME WERE POOR $29/19.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by uller30
    I got borderlands 2 this week since it was on sale for like $13. I honk they came out around the same time. I bought and used gw2 like a drugie and am still happy. But $49.99 is to much it really needs $39.99 but not NUY PUR GAME WERE POOR $29/19.

Borderlands 2 does not have the infrastructure or the updates that GW2 has been having. So comparing the 2 is like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari. The difference is all of the data (your characters, etc) are on THEIR servers, they maintain, etc. They will not drop it, heck I think GW1 is now finally 25.00 a chapter. Remember is it a B2P MMO, Not a 4 player max game - compare this game to Diablo 3 not to GW2.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    I may be mistaken...but I'm pretty sure I only paid $40 for the pre-order from Greenman gaming for the standard edition...
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    I paid £29 three months after launch which equates to $43.94 at todays rate, its also currently at £34.68 on Amazon UK and thats $52.54. So I thank Arenanet great price reductions you have there should have the punters queuing round the block.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

This site has the Most negative people I have ever seen. people will cry about everything even a $10 price drop.

I will agree that $10 isn't that note worthy, but to have so much negativity about nothing?

It is a popular game, it's dropped $10. Buy it or don't.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

A 20% price drop in its base price is significant especially for a game that hasn't been out for a year.  It obviously isn't selling as well as they want it too.

Regardless, B2P provides to much of a barrier to entry compared to F2P.  I don't see GW2 doing well when there are games like Rift that are F2P.

I prefer P2P, but B2P is too much of a barrier to entry after the "launch hype".

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

I prefer P2P, but B2P is too much of a barrier to entry after the "launch hype".

That is a funny statement

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

A 20% drop is not a big drop?  Please tell me where you shop for things.

Originally posted by eyelolled

It is not funny at all, it provides just as much barrier to entry as P2P.  With subscription games you get a month free anyway.

As I said, there are quality MMOs in the market today that are completely F2P.  Many are better than GW2.  So I don't see why people would pay $50 over not paying anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if GW2 goes F2P this year.  Or does a "unlimited" free trail type of thing.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by eyelolled

It is not funny at all, it provides just as much barrier to entry as P2P.  With subscription games you get a month free anyway.

As I said, there are quality MMOs in the market today that are completely F2P.  Many are better than GW2.  So I don't see why people would pay $50 over not paying anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if GW2 goes F2P this year.  Or does a "unlimited" free trail type of thing.

There B2P does quite well. look at GW1. they make their share of money. they {Like your F2P games} have a Cash shop also, so they make money on that too. they will be releasing expansions witch will be B2P and need the original to play them. When the Expansions start to be released, you will see the Original drop in price again. People still play GW1 so I believe you couldn't be more wrong.

Originally posted by Giddian

There B2P does quite well. look at GW1. they make their share of money. they {Like your F2P games} have a Cash shop also, so they make money on that too. they will be releasing expansions witch will be B2P and need the original to play them. When the Expansions start to be released, you will see the Original drop in price again. People still play GW1 so I believe you couldn't be more wrong.

Yeah people still play GW1, but have you looked at NCSoft's sales figures for the last 5 years?  GW1 doesn't even represent 1% of their sales. And when GW1 was released it was one of only quality F2P/B2P MMOs.  Today the market is super competitive, there are at least half a dozen quality F2P/B2P games on the market.  With a couple more that might come this year.  

It isn't 2004 anymore.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    It was a better try than most that came out in recent times but old hat now, not really worth it. 
  • VespetineVespetine Member Posts: 1
    This is kind of a slap in the face to be honest. Of course I understand that the game price has to drop so that people that didn't want to pay $60 before, now have the option to purchase the game for $50. Although, we the people that made the game successful, had to pay $10 more. Not a big deal, just a bother really.
  • Originally posted by Asamof
    50 dollars for the standard edition is a reduced price?? whut??

it's a pretty good game man!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Powermike
    Originally posted by Asamof
    50 dollars for the standard edition is a reduced price?? whut??

it's a pretty good game man!

Since when did that matter here? lol