Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best MMOs of 2013... So Far

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Stupid lists are Just that Stupid. Shame on you Bill.

Yet so many people have insisted that "Most Popular MMO" list on the home page is totally meaningful.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,130

I've fallen in love with The Secret World.

But frankly, i am looking forward to playing the next big titles coming out just as equally.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Neoyoshi

I've fallen in love with The Secret World.

But frankly, i am looking forward to playing the next big titles coming out just as equally.

That is not love, that is lust. People like you are why 50% of marriages end in divorce.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• JohnlbauerJohnlbauer Member Posts: 1
    " GW2 - the epitomy of generic..."

I have never read so much bullshit as I have in this article. I bet half of the people here stating their half ass typical opinion haven't even dove in and played Guild wars 2, explored the world or even reached the max level to realize the true fun doesn't start till then. Instead we got these wits getting all mad because this reviewer decided to make it number one. It deserves to be Number 1 in my opinion because it is the most balanced, fair game I have played. How could you go wrong with buying a game and never paying a subscription? Oh yeah, I know I know there is a cash shop but if you actually played the game, made some Money on it you'd notice you would be able to buy the cash shop money (Gems) with your earned gold. The game is for both for Hardcore and casual gamers. Sure, it doesn't meet up to some of the standards but it has been getting better since release. Now, I know people are obviously not going to take it from my word. But, thanks for making me a good drinking game. Every time I see some funny bullshit I'll take a shot.

-Bauer

• XandramasXandramas Member Posts: 73
    Darkfall was a piece of shit and the majority of this list are games that werent released this year.
  • LevicusLevicus Member Posts: 22
    Woo go GW2!
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

SWTOR LOL..

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

That's one really subjectiv list O.o

been said before but having SWTOR on the list REALLY make it loose a lot of credibility.

I consider TSW a flop.

And I can't say about Darkfall but I'm quite septical about its polish...

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    hell with 2013 list.. they all suck.. im waiting for 2014 that list will be impressive...

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I agree with the general consensus of opinion: This list demonstrates that the MMORPG genre is at a very low point.

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60

Skip that crap game Age of wushu and put in RIFT in that spot or even put it in nr 2.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

As has been previously pointed out, Neverwinter is not a released game.

It is still Beta - you cannot arbitrarily pick and choose when you want to call this game soft launched, beta, fully launched etc.

If the company running the game states it's in Beta, then that is the description you have to go by.

Therefore it should not be on this list. 

And notwithstanding the above - it is an exploit filled, bug infested mess - but that's acceptable apparently - because this is Beta..........

• CKPlayGameCKPlayGame Member UncommonPosts: 33

This list is BS

neverwinter? age of wushu? SWTOR?

you gotta be kidding me

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Guild Wars 2 failed so much for original Guild Wars players especially in PvP as ArenaNet catered to the masses instead of their loyal fanbase. In the end I think they shot themselves in the foot. It's still a great MMO but not what most had hoped for regardless of updates.

I have to agree that it failed for original GW players but for me that has more to do with lack of customization.  In GW you could easily have a viable build that you saw no one else running, gw2 i feel tried to go away from their niche and please everyone with generic cookie cutter builds.  There is some talent points but they are relatively unimportant to game play and therefore don't count as specialization in my book.

I also felt the GW2 also went away from gw in terms of endgame content.  It took a long time to run out of content in gw1, especially given the rapid expansions.  I would much rather see all of this effort the arenanet has put into one time silly little events go towards new zones and story.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I wouldn't play any of the games on the list

GW2 the best ? 

It's another pve game.The WvW is an insult to any thinking adult...unless you think WAR is defined as who can score the most points in a 24/7 zerg frenzy. Such a disappointment.

And the crafting rivals the worst Asian grinders

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

It is still Beta - you cannot arbitrarily pick and choose when you want to call this game soft launched, beta, fully launched etc.

If the company running the game states it's in Beta, then that is the description you have to go by.

And notwithstanding the above - it is an exploit filled, bug infested mess - but that's acceptable apparently - because this is Beta..........

Cryptic says it's in beta.  But no more wipes, and taking people's money means otherwise in our book.

As to the bugs and exploits?  Well, yeah. That's true. "Open Beta" is just a marketing protection term, and a cop-out.  It's released as far as we're concerned.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Cryptic says it's in beta.  But no more wipes, and taking people's money means otherwise in our book.

As to the bugs and exploits?  Well, yeah. That's true. "Open Beta" is just a marketing protection term, and a cop-out.  It's released as far as we're concerned.

I would have to agree.  Cryptic/PWE can call it whatever they want.  They are taking our money and promised no more wipes, although at this point that might actually be an improvement for the game.  This is a launch!  I would suggest it ranks so high on here because it is the exploiters favorite game at the moment. 

• Cross296Cross296 Member Posts: 1
    Most accurate comment on the board
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    SWTOR shouldn't be on there IMHO. Neverwinter should be at Number 1 despite the events of the last few days.
  • NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

Can't agree with SW: tor it was essentially a WoW clone but in space.  With the companion system you had less of a reason to group with people, so that blew any social interaction away beyond raiding or doing "dungeons" which you did not have to do unless you wanted loot. 

Neverwinter I just could not get into this game.  Guess being spoiled on GW2 and other games with actually dodge moves I just felt this one was lacking in a proper usage of that among other things wrong with it.

Personally I would of added in DC Universe, it has a good fan base yet and it still keeps up with a high population.  Though it's still a grind game, it has that comic book flare I love.

Secret World had a great story behind it, the quest stories as well.  Always an eerie feeling with it when playing.  Yet it was another grind game, but guess you can't really get around that if you want the best gear to survive encounters better.

Rift should of made the list as well least over SW

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

Is it just me or are only 3/7 actually games from 2013? Since the list seems to be open to just about any mmo ever released: -

WOW, GW1, AoC, DDO and any other random three to make up the rest of the list.  

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by MMOGamer1971

Star Wars: The Old Republic? No Rift or LOTRO?

How much was that check from EA?

None of those 3 MMOs are worth mentioning.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k
    SWTOR shouldn't be on there IMHO. Neverwinter should be at Number 1 despite the events of the last few days.

Neverwinter number 1 mmo ? You made me almost sh** my pants really hard :D

• HoliceHolice Member UncommonPosts: 116

While I agree with the ranking for almost all the games, you really need to break it down into categories for a best in class or genre rather than best overall, as rating MMO's this way is like saying what the best ice cream flavors are, its personal preference. With that said, my thoughts are:

Rift definitely should have been on there, especially over Darkfall.

WoW still tops the charts with subs so how is it not a best of?

Eve is a good game and very niche but definitely not best of, especially when basing it on CCP released population numbers. They always leave out the fact that EVE players have multiple accounts, and they count them all as unique. EVE grows because people start gathering so much ISK that they can afford new accounts every few months with the PLEX system. Take away PLEX and you'd see a huge decrease in sub numbers. 

SWTOR has made great strides and has a solid player base of subs mixed with free players so I can understand it being on the list.

GW2, WoW, SW:TOR, Neverwinter, TSW, RIFT, EVE would have been my top 7.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

LoL at H8ers, your opinion is exactly that your opinion. My list is below.

1. SWToR (I like the additions to the game / The game I play the most).

2. Rift (still has the best raiding community out there).

3. GW2 (I have moderated my opinion somewhat).

4. TSW ( I really like a lot of the ideas, but the implementation is a little off)

5. WoW (Blizz still is the lion on the market / pvp is fun).

6. EQ2 (I still like the crafting and housing in this one).

7. AoC (PVP in AoC is still a lot of fun).