Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Govermental Tax on "Violent" Video Games.

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Have you seen this? http://www.examiner.com/article/capital-hill-begins-it-s-assault-on-violent-video-games?cid=db_articles

I'm in shock over it.. i don't even know what to say, pancakes maybe? 

Comments

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Syrup, bacon and sausages.

*I find it hilarious though that this suggestion comes from a religious leader. I find it odd that we still listen to religious leaders after they proved to everyone that they can't be trusted, time and time again.* *Shrug* I guess instead of going after the problem, like bad parenting etc, we should just attack video games specifically. Sounds like a good idea.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    so we can't get legislation on things that actually kill people aka guns .... but lets Tax violent video games!
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Curious is the absence of any suggestion of a correlating tax on violent movies or music; probably because video games do not have the sense of celebrity or personality that movie and music stars do.  Nobody is really going to listen or care if Raph Koster, Richard Garriott or Chris Metzen decides to get on a soap box and rouse the rabble.  I'm going to guess that the video game industry's reputation of being rather apolitical makes it seem like a safer target to try and score some political points.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Another excuse to extort, uhm... "regulate" an innocent industry.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    What about throwing the same tax on Bugs Bunny, Porky Pig as well

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I have posted on this forum for the last 5-10 years.  I am asking anyone who hasn't seen it to watch this till its end.  (The intro is a bit meh).

Penn and Teller: The war on video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaF9nbLo8as

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

well it makes a change from blaming music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT2YYLkIFZ4

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Another way the Government wishes to "legislate" how we live...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Divion

Have you seen this? http://www.examiner.com/article/capital-hill-begins-it-s-assault-on-violent-video-games?cid=db_articles

I'm in shock over it.. i don't even know what to say, pancakes maybe? 

*rolls eyes*

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Instead of taking responsibility for people, they want to make money out of everything in the name of freedom. Maybe you get soon a beach tax if you want to wear a bathing slip or lying in the sun topless :P.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by ZombieKen
    Another excuse to extort, uhm... "regulate" an innocent industry.

Hardly innocent..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Sadly I'm not shocked at all. With the money at their disposal I'm not going to be surprised if they succeed, either.
  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

I've been playing video games of all kinds since they were invented and at age 40, I don't own any weapons and have been involved in 0 violent crimes.

I guess I'm doing something wrong.

Just because you own a weapon, doesn't mean you are violent.  Please shut up.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    I would've preferred tax breaks for companies making non-violent games. Personally I'm tired of all the uninspired shooters being shat out the great anus of the industry.

Hi

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

Personally I find the fact that every ridiculous statement made by some religious leader is deemed news worthy quite irritating.  

He should stick to his superstitious nonsense and leave issues such as tax policy to experts in that field.  

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    How about a tax on the church? or fail that a tax on politicians? no? why not? cause? cause why?

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    How about a tax on the church? or fail that a tax on politicians? no? why not? cause? cause why?

I agree.  If any church wants to get involved with anything political.  Then they need to start paying taxes.  Otherwise, all religions can GTFO.

This discussion has been closed.