Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Star Trek Online: Daniel Stahl Talks Legacy of Romulus

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today is a big for Star Trek Online with the release of the Legacy of Romulus expansion. We managed to catch up to Daniel Stahl to talk more about LoR and it's an interview you won't want to miss. Check it out before heading to the comments to weigh in on the discussion.

MMORPG.com: How will the expansion affect the Foundry, if at all?

Daniel Stahl: This update has very little impact on the Foundry other than it opens the door for future updates where Foundry authors will be able to create mission designed exclusively for Romulan characters. We will be updating the Foundry later this year with this ability along with other Romulan assets.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Star Trek Online: Daniel Stahl Talks Legacy of Romulus.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScaryboosterScarybooster Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Great interview! I never liked STO until giving it another try this last Friday. To say the least, I'm having a ball playing the game. This update looks amazing and is a huge step forward for the game. Going from under a dozen employees under Atari to 40 or more under PW shows how great these developers pride in their work. It's finally paying off for them. My biggest surprise logging into the game is seeing thousands of player ships in every sector I go. I thought this was another game left for life support, but I was way wrong.

I'm glad I gave this game another try and I'm very excited for the update today.
    Signed by me
  • buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    This game can be a bit over whelming as there is a ton of stuff that you can do, so making the Romulan side with a better tutorial is a step in the right direction.  I've played the Romulan and Klingon side to level 10 in the beta and the stories seem quite good.  Recommend people give it a spin!
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    You should have asked them how they can hope to launch this if they can't even get their tech support caught up enough on routine service tickets.....
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

And LotRO's Spring festival just started today as well... tough one, but I think I'll choose the galaxy this time...

if only I could beam down my away team into Middle-earth while I'm travelling through the Quadrants... :)

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    I notice you guys didn't ask about clarification on Romuluns being a sub-faction of FED/KDF. Way to do a softball interview.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Fire on all enemy ships. One photon each should do. Let's not waste ammunition.

With humor aside..

Star Trek has changed for me since it was released, there are more things to do and the game is what you make it to be. You can definitely RP in this game if that's what you like to do as well as treat the game like a faction grind to get better gear in the end if you wish.

Doing the in game episodes 1st or the 2nd is fun for me, however I find myself playing player foundrys more amusing.

I personally play the game for the immersion it brings to me as a Star Trek fan. The day I start treating this game like a WoW in space will be the last thing I do. I am in no rush to get end game weps or gear. However ships are what I seem to crave and that can be costly.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by BMBender
    I notice you guys didn't ask about clarification on Romuluns being a sub-faction of FED/KDF. Way to do a softball interview.

What clarification would you need that has not already been addressed. I seen it as pretty dry cut, like wows pandarens romulans will eventually have to pick to ally themselves with the kdf or fed.

Its also not rocket science that a 2 faction game, which a huge population difference between the two factions would go this route. I imagine they prolly would have perfered to have the romulans just straight up became apart of the kdf. But the outcry would have been to much. So we have a compromise.

From the games lore perspective this is not the romulan star empire because that is gone, destroyed. In their current state the romulans cannot stand on their own against either the KDF or UFP. It took a federation fleet and a full scale war with the gorn to keep the KDF from conquering the romulans.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    This is one of the MMOs that has made the most improvement since having a fairly dismal start.  As someone who has stuck with it (albeit with breaks) since the beta, I'm somewhat amazed that something as large as this expansion ever saw the light of day.  Even though I don't like much of their cash shop or lockbox strategies, their overall version of Free-to-Play is freer than most of their competition.  I hope the improvements to presentation and polish are carried through in future development and that they turn more of their focus on delivering more compelling content instead of just ultra-rare ships.
  • SuperPanekiSuperPaneki Member Posts: 62

I still remember myself telling my friends I was going to play a Romulan in the next Star Trek Online a few years go. Now, I can finally create it. It's been a while.

• melenonemelenone Member Posts: 25
    Great lol im buying the pack now sounds fun.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    have to say I updated the game today on my pc and thought what the hell.i,ll have a go.chose a romulan..have to say deeply impressed with what cryptic have done with this game.played it 2 yrs ago and my thought was it could have been better.well now it is..and still one of the best f2p games for content as well
  • gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133
    Great except you can't play as a member of the Star Empire, but that goddamn retarded "good guy" Republic.
    Originally posted by gilgamesh9
    Great except you can't play as a member of the Star Empire, but that goddamn retarded "good guy" Republic.

Sorry, but what empire? The one that's divided and scattered throughout the galaxy? :)

(in-game I mean, and with the remark that I too like the original canon better)

• traplinextraplinex Member Posts: 14

This game has pretty much earned the biggest comeback in MMO history I think considering the last 3 years.

Having played the last few hours on the live server it's a beast of an update, the game feels like it's got  a solid foundation, the romulan artwork and environments are fantastic and graphically the game is on par with any game out today.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    There has definitely been a shift in quality towards the better since they left Atari. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

I'm a longtime fan and supporter of STO, I've been around since day one and stuck with is for the last three years. I know what people mean when they say that the game at launch was a shell of what it is now. I'm proud of what Cryptic has done with the game and happy to have been their for the majority of the games post-development development :P . I've been playing MMOs since EQ1 and UO and never stuck to one like I have with STO.

As a long time STO player I will gladly announce to anyone that this is the time to give it a try even if you crossed it off two or three years ago. STO of 2013 is nothing like STO of 2010.

Originally posted by Yavin_Prime

I'm a longtime fan and supporter of STO, I've been around since day one and stuck with is for the last three years. I know what people mean when they say that the game at launch was a shell of what it is now. I'm proud of what Cryptic has done with the game and happy to have been their for the majority of the games post-development development :P . I've been playing MMOs since EQ1 and UO and never stuck to one like I have with STO.

As a long time STO player I will gladly announce to anyone that this is the time to give it a try even if you crossed it off two or three years ago. STO of 2013 is nothing like STO of 2010.

Well said. And since it's written by a planet of an another IP with "Star", it means even more :)

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I don’t like the look of the D’Deridex class warbird.  If the nacelles had swooped down on their own and there wasn’t the additional connecting member it would have been ok.  Next is the size of the command module / bridge or as I think of it “head” of the warbird.  It is too large, and looks ridiculous. The Mogai and Dhelan look fine, they both have down swept wings and a proportionate head for a bird of prey.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• LittleInvitroLittleInvitro Member Posts: 1
    Great, sadly that moron of Stahl is forgetting to mention following : Yeah, it's great that we have a bunch of users in a Server Not Responding Bug with their main account so it has been unaccessible for a couple of days now. Accounts that holds for most the biggest resources, with the risk that they may lose these now. Never seen such a bunch of incompetent devs together.
  • Bayonet00Bayonet00 Member Posts: 1
    I beta tested for STO and have played (with breaks) ever since. As others have noted, it was, and is an immersion for me too. The progress made since 2010 is nothing short of amazing. Story has come along way, and the user created missions are generally of very high quality. While I prefer space missions, the ground element is completely playable now. Something you couldn't always say.  The changes with the Romulan expansion are all good in my opinion. Server capacity and performance, considering the rush of new players, is holding its own. Tau Dewa has never seen this much traffic, lol. If you left STO in the past, come on back. Give it a try, and I am willing to bet you won't be disappointed.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

This game has advanced by leaps and bounds since launch, with LoR being the largest single improvement to the game yet.

In addition to the inclusion of the Romulans, I really like a lot of the other changes, like the UI and character traits.

This game is so much better than it was at launch - it's almost like a completely different game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

This new expansion is such a pleasant surprise. Really impressed.

I would log in every day just to play that mini game for refining delithium. So much fun. image

Originally posted by Whitebeards

I would log in every day just to play that mini game for refining delithium. So much fun. image

Maybe I was distracted by my new KDF (my first Orion... lol) but dilly refining mini game? Where's that?

If you ment the dilly mining on the asteroid, that's in game more than a year now :) and yep, it's fun. Except when the RNG decides you won't reach 735 no matter how great miner you are...

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373
    All the great comments here I decided to give it a shot as well. And have have been pleasantly surprised as well. Bought the starter pack and it's been fun.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Maybe I was distracted by my new KDF (my first Orion... lol) but dilly refining mini game? Where's that?

If you ment the dilly mining on the asteroid, that's in game more than a year now :) and yep, it's fun. Except when the RNG decides you won't reach 735 no matter how great miner you are...

Yes that is what i am talking about. I quit 2 months after release due to the state of the game. I just started playing it again on release of new expansion. So all of this pretty much new to me.

I am in love with my Romulan. Amazing stuff.