Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: ArenaNet Reveals New Game Pricing

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has announced that pricing for Guild Wars 2 will permanently be reduced in order to bring new players into the aggressively updated game at unprecedented levels. From now on, players can purchase Guild Wars 2 for $49.99 for the standard edition and $69.99 for the digital deluxe edition.

ArenaNet planned the announcement for 11:00 a.m. EDT today but other sites have broken the embargo set by the development and publishing teams.

In a game that has become the new standard in MMO game development and with the new price points, we expect the world of Tyria will become the new online destination for new role players and those looking for an ever-changing gaming experience.

More information will be available on the Guild Wars 2 site after the embargo officially lifts at 11:00 a.m. EDT.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    50 dollars for the standard edition is a reduced price?? whut??
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by cinos
    Isn't that the price it's always been?

I think it was $60 before... I know, not really a big drop, eh?

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

This minor change in price isn't going to bring in new players i am afraid.

50 bucks is a standard price for new games any ways.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    I love how every game declares themselves "the new standard" or "most anticipated" or "bestest game evar"... well, maybe not that last one, but you get what I am sayin'.

All die, so die well.

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398
    Just checked amazon and they are listing it at 59.99 so the 49.99 price tag would be a drop. I feel like if they really wanted to make a splash with a price drop they should have went down to 39.99.
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by VikingGamer
    I love how every game declares themselves "the new standard" or "most anticipated" or "bestest game evar"... well, maybe not that last one, but you get what I am sayin'.

Yeah gaming companies need a lesson in humility and how people scoff on those who 'self praise'.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

I was hoping for a Steam holiday special for like $9.99

Sz

:o)

• EvenhopeEvenhope Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I love this game and have much respect for ANet, but this literally made me laugh out loud. Hehehe. Oh well, hopefully it actually works.

I was unrealistically expecting to see 29.99, but still. $50 is totally worth it as far as I'm concerned. It's just not necessarily "announcement" worthy.
  • FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120

Played the game during beta weekends, wasn't impressed enough to buy it or make the switch from my current MMO.

$50 really isn't enough of an incentive to get me to check it out again, sorry to say.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Wow, watch those players flock to the game for a whole whopping $10 off! Whewwww! Your going to have people swarming in now with the standard price of PC games...

Then again, perhaps with server populations a lot lower now yes, getting 1 or 2 players waiting to save that whole $10 that held them off from buying will load up the servers. :) 

In all seriousness... I just chuckled at the message, not that it was $10 off which was kind of entertaining, but how they worded it making it sound as if they set some standard AND people will flock to it to for that mighty price drop. Even if you did set some standardANET, $10 wouldn't be enough to make that happen. 

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Setting standards is also a laugh. It did nothing unique. It just put everything other games did, all into one game.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Got my pre-purchase back in the day for 34€, white dvd-box with the key and all (no cd-key > email scam site etc), gotta love the tax-paradise island that's part of our country, but still has it's own tax-laws :D

I grab all my games from there, always tax-free, save around 15-20€ per game :)

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    You don't realize that lower base price translates into better sale prices when they eventually discount it for holidays/whatever. Wait for those sales.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I wouldn t recommend it at $5.99, this is hilarious.
  • ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280

They need to make their profits somehow, main income for the game is from box sales after all, but I would be pressed to say that market income wouldn't be soon catching the box sales income because anet keeps on adding cool items there.

And honestly, $50 is even more a reason to buy it compared to when it was $60.

Also I still cannot understand why people bash on the game just because it wasnt for their liking, there is absolutely no denying that this game is good, even more so for just plain $50.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

If players haven't bought the game yet I don't see a price change of $10 being a major deciding factor, but who knows..

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by ichihaifu

They need to make their profits somehow, main income for the game is from box sales after all, but I would be pressed to say that market income wouldn't be soon catching the box sales income because anet keeps on adding cool items there.

And honestly, $50 is even more a reason to buy it compared to when it was $60.

Also I still cannot understand why people bash on the game just because it wasnt for their liking, there is absolutely no denying that this game is good, even more so for just plain $50.

Bashing a game not to their liking, there is absolutely no denying that the game is good? So what is it, someone doesn t like it, so they are wrong because it s good? Odd sentence. Lets try this. Not sure why people praise this game because they like it, theres no doubt it s a terrible game, theres no denying that.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Asamof
    50 dollars for the standard edition is a reduced price?? whut??

That's my response as well. Holy cats. If nothing else, it's one of the most expensive MMOs to initially buy into, even at the "reduced" price.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    They really need to add some alternate advancement/progression at endgame. While I love the WvW, the whole "Unreal Tournament" style 0 progression endgame is getting pretty stale. Even if its some Call of Duty type perks or Age of Conan type Alternate Advancement abilities, anything to improve your character in the least will keep the game fresh. I don't think a 10$ price drop to $50 will be enough to fill the void of those who left, time will tell though I guess.
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

End of the World as we know it; probably will surpass the scope of World War Y.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    I might be enticed to throw money at it if it dropped to like $20.
  • ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Soki123

Bashing a game not to their liking, there is absolutely no denying that the game is good? So what is it, someone doesn t like it, so they are wrong because it s good? Odd sentence. Lets try this. Not sure why people praise this game because they like it, theres no doubt it s a terrible game, theres no denying that.

Logic.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

ArenaNet reduces GW2 by $10..

The mmorpg.com community:  What?! That's it?! What a joke lol!!!

ArenaNet reduces the price by $30..

The mmorpg.com community:  LOL!!! They cut the price in half already!  GW2 is failing so hard!  LOL

;)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."