Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE on your iPhone...CCP plans a mobile app

IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Well, folks, as we know CPPs cash cow is EVE and at the moment it is a Mac and PC client game. Obviously expanding the game client into other areas is one way for CCP to grow as a software company. 

However, after Dust 514 and the PSN experience many would have thought a console client might be an idea for EVE. Logical, noes?

Well, mmo gaming people the surprise is that our Icelandic software developers are planning for mobile, and Thor Gunnarsson proclaimed...

“Ultimately, our strategy is to create bespoke experiences that are tailored to what our fans are using,”

and,

“Of course, they’re using tablets and smartphones, day-in and day-out. W e want to bring another access point to them, wherever they are.”

So there we have it, you will soon be able to play EVE on your iPhone or iPad. Clearly, CCP have purchased iOS development kits and the challenge is only now to port a client, since EVE is a point-and-click game the interface must be changes to allow touch and swipe gestures.

Feel free to comment guys on the diversification of EVE game client and can read more at 

http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/20/we-sit-down-with-ccp-and-learn-of-mysterious-plans-for-a-possible-eve-mobile/

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

The question in my mind is why doesn't every game have mobile app minigames?

There's no reason that everything going on in a game world has to happen in a single client.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Having an App for your game is like having a twitter or facebook page. They are digital bumper stickers or fridge magnets. Someone has a job as a result. I guess that's what matters in the end. Sounds good!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

They were working on  this 2 years ago,when they raised their workforce to 650.I know they did down size but seriously,they are pretty slow at doing anything.Epic games with 1/3 the work force just released all kinds of stuff like tech demos and apps for IOS systems and PS4 that is not even out yet.

I know they been working on this app and Dust but seriously they move very slowly.Actually i did a quick search and i was wrong it wasn't 2 years ago,they already had it and were working on this since at least 2008! Eve App

Over the last 8 years when this game starting making a ton of money,they could have built 2 more versions of Eve all with planets,ship hulls,actual player avatars/characters,3D space stations full of interaction.They could have even ported over to  a much better game engine and still be making millions in profit.

The whole thing bothers me because they have obviously made a ton of money from their loyal player base and instead of giving some back,they continue to nickle and dime the development side,abusing their supporters.

I would cut some slack to any developer if i thought they were struggling to make ends meat,CCP is not,that took place in the first couple years,no longer an excuse.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Thats mostly becuase CCP is totaly diffrent from other studio's.
    Instead of making Eve a casual carebear mmo, they stick to their roots and keep it the most hardcore mmo out there.

They could have easely trippled their incomme with making Eve easier, but they wont do it.
    CEO is happy with the way things are and is in no rush to produce crap what other studio's breed release and throw in the trashcan after a few years.

Iam not a fanboy but one got to give credit where its due, CCP aint all about that $$$ we see today.

If the design team aint happy its not going to be released and its back to the drawing board untill its high quality.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by free2play
    Having an App for your game is like having a twitter or facebook page. They are digital bumper stickers or fridge magnets. Someone has a job as a result. I guess that's what matters in the end. Sounds good!

They don't have to be just that.  They can be full-fledged games with actual consequences to your characters and game world just like any other optional minigame an MMO might offer.  The only difference is that you won't be taking your avatar out wandering in the world while you play.   EvE players are simply already used to the idea that there is gameplay you can undertake while docked.

Originally posted by Wizardry

They were working on  this 2 years ago,when they raised their workforce to 650.I know they did down size but seriously,they are pretty slow at doing anything.Epic games with 1/3 the work force just released all kinds of stuff like tech demos and apps for IOS systems and PS4 that is not even out yet.

I know they been working on this app and Dust but seriously they move very slowly.Actually i did a quick search and i was wrong it wasn't 2 years ago,they already had it and were working on this since at least 2008! Eve App

Over the last 8 years when this game starting making a ton of money,they could have built 2 more versions of Eve all with planets,ship hulls,actual player avatars/characters,3D space stations full of interaction.They could have even ported over to  a much better game engine and still be making millions in profit.

The whole thing bothers me because they have obviously made a ton of money from their loyal player base and instead of giving some back,they continue to nickle and dime the development side,abusing their supporters.

I would cut some slack to any developer if i thought they were struggling to make ends meat,CCP is not,that took place in the first couple years,no longer an excuse.

I don't know how far in the hole they went for that super server in London. Or how much investment they lost when the Iceland economy went tits up.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Capsuleer. Now defunct, but I would definitely say that Capsuleer, as well as several other apps for EVE, are a bit more than a 'digital bumper sticker.'

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Capsuleer. Now defunct, but I would definitely say that Capsuleer, as well as several other apps for EVE, are a bit more than a 'digital bumper sticker.'

The only app that would go beyond bumper stcker would be an API app that allowed me to .01 ISK people in to the ground from my phone. That would piss people off but that's pretty much the objective in EVE.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Illyssia

Well, folks, as we know CPPs cash cow is EVE and at the moment it is a Mac and PC client game. Obviously expanding the game client into other areas is one way for CCP to grow as a software company. 

However, after Dust 514 and the PSN experience many would have thought a console client might be an idea for EVE. Logical, noes?

Well, mmo gaming people the surprise is that our Icelandic software developers are planning for mobile, and Thor Gunnarsson proclaimed...

“Ultimately, our strategy is to create bespoke experiences that are tailored to what our fans are using,”

and,

“Of course, they’re using tablets and smartphones, day-in and day-out. W e want to bring another access point to them, wherever they are.”

So there we have it, you will soon be able to play EVE on your iPhone or iPad. Clearly, CCP have purchased iOS development kits and the challenge is only now to port a client, since EVE is a point-and-click game the interface must be changes to allow touch and swipe gestures.

Feel free to comment guys on the diversification of EVE game client and can read more at 

http://toucharcade.com/2013/05/20/we-sit-down-with-ccp-and-learn-of-mysterious-plans-for-a-possible-eve-mobile/

"However, after Dust 514 and the PSN experience many would have thought a console client might be an idea for EVE. Logical, noes?"

That would be Neocom, the PS Vita app.

"So there we have it, you will soon be able to play EVE on your iPhone or iPad."

The mobile content discussed in the article is "out-of-client engagement" apps. I could not find anything in that article or anywhere else that said you will be able to play EVE on a mobile device, let alone soon. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

When I look at some of the interface changes and frankly simplification of play coming with Odyssey it opens the door to thinking not only mobile ports but console ports are in the works within a few years. Every time I see that new radial menu I think PS4. I am not sure how I feel about it. I understand making the game more accessible but it's such a hardcore niche title at heart that I doubt it will pay off. EVE just isn't meant to be a game for everyone. All of these little simplifications of mechanics and UI changes to make it work on differing platforms in many cases go against the things that have made it appealing to its audience like complexity, depth, and a willingness to work for something (even through tedium) for an exciting payoff. Probing is a fine example. It's part of what used to separate the good scouts and explorers from any old joe-blow and made it a skill profession. Now? Well, more than half the challenges are on the way out from mechanics, to combat in exploration sites, and slowly scanning down that cloaked foe. It's not so much a skill profession in game any more and as the trend of making everything accessible and cross platform compatible continues that will happen to most careers in game.  It is what it is.