Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new trending overdone / obnoxious / contrived animation styles.

HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185

I look at a couple of new MMOs coming out Wildstar and TESO and how some of their animations resemble something you'd see out of a pixar film.

That is, utterly artificial, blatantly acted, and (I learned a new word today) contrived.

Watch any wildstar video and literally every animation is this way. He isn't an evil villain, hes an evil villain try-hard. She isn't a hero, shes a hero try-hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST9D_P0d_Oc

Saw this exploration and gathering video for TESO and I noticed some of their animations are this way too. Most notably when the alchemist samples his creation. I literally paused the video and got completely distracted from everything else they were talking about.

Then I started noticing a lot, a lot of the TESO animations are unnatural. Like all these pixar wannabe artists are drawing inspiration from each other.

I know its way too early to be worried about it, I just want to raise awareness about this trend.

Be aware. Demand excellence.

Comments

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    If anything that video gave me huge hope for TESO.  A truly interactive world and the animations look amazing.  Can't wait to see actual combat an longer vids.

SUP

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

With Wildstar, that art style fits in their game world. The whole world is overdone and cartoony.

With TES:O, I actually liked the guy sampling his mixture. Don't you do that when baking?

What I find more fitting to your thread title are things like:
    - Heavy armored fighters leaping about the battlefield like ballet dancers
    - Weapons too huge to actually handle (think gnomes and 2-handers)

I thought I had more, but that's it for now :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Lets worry about the basics before stuff that doesn't really matter at all eh? :/

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    I blame it on Roger Rabbit.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185

Look this is supposed to be an old school MMO for change resistant grumps like me.

I don't want your young hipster influence alienating my last remaining hope in the fading promise that this genre once held!

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195

Word on the street is animations don't matter. Either way i'm fine, gameplay is top priority.

Even some daoc style animations were over the top.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

us other old grumps and bitter vets dont care for animations we just want to play a game that doesn't suck the proverbial cock.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

You realize that by calling everyone of these developers animations "try hards" you literally are using the same vernacular the people you call "hipsters" are using.

In other words  you sound like that group that you claim to be really against.

Side note, since when was it a bad thing to have dramatic animations?

Complaining for the sake of complaining, and here I am complaining about it, yay for us all.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    The entire TES franchise is contrived.
  • HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Side note, since when was it a bad thing to have dramatic animations?

Its always been a bad thing to have unnatural animations. Its cartoony, breaks immersion, looks stupid. It has its place in theater plays and cartoons, but looks stupid in movies that you actually want to see and video games.

Since when it is a bad thing to have natural animations?

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

I actually love the cartoon style because it fits the whole game. It's a matter of taste, some like Bugs Bunny and some think he is crap.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Still curious which old school mmo had "natural" animations.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I know what the OP is getting at but i think Pixar would feel heavily slighted if their multi million dollar high tech work was compared to Wildstar.There is simply no comparison.

I am also not sure where this animation term got confused with cartoon looks because animation is simply something that moves.I would say looking at the animations they are done ok in Wildstar.

I do have a good reason for not liking cartoony graphics aside from it gives the image of being childish.The reason is actually simple,every time i see cartoon graphics done they are done with really cheap looking textures,like the least amount of effort was put into them.You also won't see the lighting/shader effects either because there is nothing to portray on the models except single palette colors.

In a game like EQ2 for example,you will see the lighting effects on gear,to give the material a realistic look,like leather or metal.You look at a game like Vanguard and the cobblestones have detail in the textures so they actually look like real rock.I mentioned these two games because they are older now,so not like you need high tech to pull off quality work.Usually once you see the lack of effort in texture use then the rest of the detail is usually not there either.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by Hokibukisa

I look at a couple of new MMOs coming out Wildstar and TESO and how some of their animations resemble something you'd see out of a pixar film.

That is, utterly artificial, blatantly acted, and (I learned a new word today) contrived.

Watch any wildstar video and literally every animation is this way. He isn't an evil villain, hes an evil villain try-hard. She isn't a hero, shes a hero try-hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST9D_P0d_Oc

Saw this exploration and gathering video for TESO and I noticed some of their animations are this way too. Most notably when the alchemist samples his creation. I literally paused the video and got completely distracted from everything else they were talking about.

Then I started noticing a lot, a lot of the TESO animations are unnatural. Like all these pixar wannabe artists are drawing inspiration from each other.

I know its way too early to be worried about it, I just want to raise awareness about this trend.

Be aware. Demand excellence.

I have zero clue what you are complaining about in these vid's or animations.  They look astounding to me.  Would you prefer that we have EQ1 animations again?

• zeroumuszeroumus Member Posts: 54

long as the animations are smooth,  I could care less as to what they actually are.

did anyone notice that the guildwars 2 animations looked like they where recorded at 15fps,    it did not matter if you had 120hz monitor,   they still looked choppy.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Odaman

Word on the street is animations don't matter. 

I'd avoid that street. It seems to be filled with idiots.

Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Odaman

Word on the street is animations don't matter. 

I'd avoid that street. It seems to be filled with idiots.

Don't hurt yourself.