Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: A Deep Look at Patch 5.3

Comments

• SlorgSlorg Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Patch seems interesting enough, kind of wish they added new dungeons or something with it. While i like the every two or so months you get a new patch, these baby patches aren't all that exciting.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Slorg
    Patch seems interesting enough, kind of wish they added new dungeons or something with it. While i like the every two or so months you get a new patch, these baby patches aren't all that exciting.

wouldnt exactly call it a baby patch, though its obviously nowhere near as big as 5.2 (which was pretty enormous)

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

What WoW has put out in the 7 months since Cata is pretty impressive, they are quite easily the number one game currently at putting out content.  Of course they should be with their financial resources.

I have a feeling there is going to be an expansion announcement a LOT sooner than people are expecting.  I wouldnt be shocked to see it launch this year.

Theyve said they plan to fix the whole huge gap between last patch and new expansion, and 5.4 will be here by august at the latest...

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by TpsArchangel
    The point of all? i have played WoW fpr 6 years and when they decided that should be more "noob" friendly i said buh bye.

Then you would of only been playing for 3 years...

Most players are from asia anyway who pay 5 cent per hour.
    I really wish people would back this up with sources and facts because its becoming very tiring listening to made up facts.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

The game has been making bad decision after bad decision lately.  

No catch up dungeons+tons of LFR wings+everybody needing different loot=players queues are split across too many queues=long ass queues only getting longer everytime a new raid wing comes out.

Replacing a broken talent tree with a couple talent toggles instead of fixing what was wrong with the original system, ended up with talent choices being completely meaningless.

The game already only took a week to get from 85-90, and now they speed that up?  Being alt friendly is not about how fast you can level up alts, it is about how enjoyable the process is and how time consuming "homework" on your main is.

When I log in to play my main, I don't want the queue to be longer than than the little fun part at the end.  If most of my time playing is spent in queues, and just killing time to doing boring repetitive tasks until then, I don't feel like logging on.  There needs to be other avenues of casual character progression, and they all need to have similar time sinks for similar rewards.   The new heroic scenarios are great, but there is still no reason to do dungeons.  When they fix all this, maybe I will resub.  I get that they are trying hard, but with the underlying problems staying the same, them trying hard doesn't make the game worth playing.  Fixing the fundamental design flaw does.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by possessed1
    Have to agree with TPS; the butchering of the skill tree and generalized 'simplification' just did me in, ticked me off -- no loyalty us longtimers; expansion is  good news for those sticking with it and hope they enjoy it, but I won't go back, even for the chance to kill Garrosh.

Genuine question..

When was WoW ever not a simplified game? I played back in the TBC era and it was a pretty simple game then though it wasn't until I played other MMO's that this fact was really brought home.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

The only somewhat good news was that resilience was removed from gear. In my opinion a stat that was "over-used and over-powered", and more or less fucked open-world PvP and forced people in Arena PvP when it was added.

And then I read they gave everyone a base 65% instead.

Which means, because I know Blizzard, you'll start to see a 2% and then a 3% and then a 5% resilience start to creep back onto gear again.

*Shrug*

Nope, like others have said, "I'll pass"

Sadly not the game I really used to enjoy playing.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Have to agree with TPS; the butchering of the skill tree and generalized 'simplification' just did me in, ticked me off -- no loyalty us longtimers; expansion is  good news for those sticking with it and hope they enjoy it, but I won't go back, even for the chance to kill Garrosh.

Genuine question..

When was WoW ever not a simplified game? I played back in the TBC era and it was a pretty simple game then though it wasn't until I played other MMO's that this fact was really brought home.

BC era WoW blows the overly simplistic games like Rift and SWToR out of the water.

EQ2 and LOTRO are the only WoWish themeparks that have some depth to em.

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Genuine question..

BC era WoW blows the overly simplistic games like Rift and SWToR out of the water.

EQ2 and LOTRO are the only WoWish themeparks that have some depth to em.

Well that didn't really answer the question did it?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Genuine question..

WOW was as a simple of game as you wanted to make it. And that is why they exploded with subs.

You didnt have to know about stats to play the game, you didnt have to know about MMO's to play the game. You didnt have to know about min/maxing or even that a warrior in chain was a bad idea.

You could play the game from level 1 thru 40 and not know any of that. WoW wasnt designed to punish the newbi.

As you played you learned that Str was good. And plate was good. And food buffs were good. And enchants were good. and green armor and weapons were good and blue was even better. And so on.

But guess what you didnt need to know any of that to actually play the game and level. And that was the power of WoW. Thats what other developers didnt understand. WoW was as simple or as complicated as the player wanted to make it.

Wanted to learn to run dungeons? You had to learn stats.

Wanted to raid? You had to learn enchants, potions, buffs and resistances.

A game that was newby friendly to hardcore raid challenging, all in one.

Thats why they (Blizzard) got people who never played video games much less MMO's to play, and then stay.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Nothing could make me go back to WoW, short of some kind of PVP revolution with siege warfare and guild wars.  Just thinking about it gives me a depressed feeling in the pit of my stomach.  Maybe Titan will offer something new and awesome, but WoW is old and tired I'm just too burned out on it.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Nothing could make me go back to WoW, short of some kind of PVP revolution with siege warfare and guild wars. 

they've had "guild wars" for almost 2 years now.  they're called rated battle-grounds.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I still enjoy in wow, this could be  awesome change. Until Blizzard make some new mmo i stay faithful to Eve and WOW , this duo gives me everything what i need.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'd try comingback if the only cost was the expansion, they need to adapt to the rest of the market before it's too late and they lose the rest of their numbers.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311

As an active subscriber and player since TBC I also agree that one of the major faults and my opinion in why sub numbers have declined is because of the dumbing down of the core structures of the game. Unfortunately, the massive Nerf-bat to holy paladins, coupled with finally feeling the futility and redundancy of the gear treadmill have done me in for patch 5.3.

Same as one of the posters above I have been trying in futile attempt to recreate memories in a game in which it is not possible and so 5.3 will finally be the nail in the coffin for WoW for me. It was a great game but sadly its been outdated and has only survived this long due to nostalgia getting the better of me.

Bring on EvE for now until ESO.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    i might give it another try whebn they update their fugly player models.
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Here we go ha ha! Guys without favorite game spitting on wow again. One day you will find right game for you (or maybe never)
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

At the gates.

That just reminds me of the event in Northrend.   Which I loved. 

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by itgrowls
    I'd try comingback if the only cost was the expansion, they need to adapt to the rest of the market before it's too late and they lose the rest of their numbers.
    So you want WoW to go Free to play or Buy to play or whatever?

And why would Blizzard do a dumb thing like that?

Even with the recent losses WoW is still on track to make a $1 billion this year. No other MMO in the world even comes close to that kind of money. In fact I cant really think of any MMO publishers that make that kind of money.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Manolios

check wow forums. many servers are dead and ppl shouting for a solution. 2 years now blizz do nothing. only panning solutions saying that they are aware of the problem...

i m an 8 years wow player and in this forum i have defended many times wow, but not anymore. i m playing in an almost dead server and blizz does nothing. i m not willing to pay 20 euros for a single char transfer, leaving all my toons back, or 200 euros for my whole account. thats enough.

so i canceled a few days ago my sub and jumped to RIFT, with many rl friends and guild mates. took raptr reward (game + exp + 30 days game time) and we are having great fun. great game indeed.

after 12-6 that turns f2p many more of our friends will join us.

so goodbye once for all greedy blizzard

Never imagined is 20€ per transfer, that is really rip off that could cost them thousands of times what will they gain. 

I still love wow and will still return at some time but I indeed find I spend less and less time leveling. For now enjoying more SWTOR, many new games beign released in next months ...  

I play a lot but do can never plan in advance, so never raided but enjoyed a lot 5man's. That was up to WOTLk. Cata completely destroyed any my wish and I have been subbing only as long was fun leveling my alts. For the first time I admit with MOP I have stopped before leveling to max all my 10 alts. Wow for me is still fresh, fun, ... but now I have much broader selection of good or decent mmos to play.

Originally posted by Hokie

Genuine question..

WOW was as a simple of game as you wanted to make it. And that is why they exploded with subs.

You didnt have to know about stats to play the game, you didnt have to know about MMO's to play the game. You didnt have to know about min/maxing or even that a warrior in chain was a bad idea.

You could play the game from level 1 thru 40 and not know any of that. WoW wasnt designed to punish the newbi.

As you played you learned that Str was good. And plate was good. And food buffs were good. And enchants were good. and green armor and weapons were good and blue was even better. And so on.

But guess what you didnt need to know any of that to actually play the game and level. And that was the power of WoW. Thats what other developers didnt understand. WoW was as simple or as complicated as the player wanted to make it.

Wanted to learn to run dungeons? You had to learn stats.

Wanted to raid? You had to learn enchants, potions, buffs and resistances.

A game that was newby friendly to hardcore raid challenging, all in one.

Thats why they (Blizzard) got people who never played video games much less MMO's to play, and then stay.

So to recap, WOW was always a simplified game requiring no actual thought to play with very few actual decisions on how to play unless you wanted to raid and then you had to learn a few things, is that correct? So the actual game that millions played the leveling game was simplified to the point that young children could play without help and the hardcore raiding game that very few played (something like less than 3% in the TBC era) was a bit harder, well until they simplified that. OK I get it thanks.

• ZutchZutch Member UncommonPosts: 62
    quite interesting , gonna resub to give it a shot ,  nice article !
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Don't resub. If you don't have a MoP licence you can get a trial for 10 days. If you do have a MoP licence that has been frozen for atleast 3 months you can get 10 days free of game time. Ask customer service and they'll give you a link or wait until they send you one. Me, I think i'm well and truely done with WoW.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Resubbed myself last week, been having fun in LFR for the first time and getting my rep up with various factions.  This patch will be nice for a few of my characters getting ready to hit Pandaren content, so I can get them through it faster.

I do agree with some above about the bad decision on Blizzard's part when they removed talent trees and gave us this unrewarding every 15 levels choice of skill.  Whether people became cookie cutter builds or not, the previous versions at least gave me the illusion of choice and I always felt that I was rewarded in some way every level.  The current schema has me yawning in boredom for every level I gain because I'm not being rewarded like I used to with talent points.

Still, it's a great game and better than most of what's out there.  I currently play this along with Lotro, Neverwinter and SWTOR as my main games.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

So to recap, WOW was always a simplified game requiring no actual thought to play with very few actual decisions on how to play unless you wanted to raid and then you had to learn a few things, is that correct? So the actual game that millions played the leveling game was simplified to the point that young children could play without help and the hardcore raiding game that very few played (something like less than 3% in the TBC era) was a bit harder, well until they simplified that. OK I get it thanks.

Yes.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    what was the benefit of the old talent system? the answer is "freedom of choice". ohh yes we had freedom alright, freedom to copy-paste build from sites like "eilitistsnoliferwhonevergotlaid.com". everybody was building the same,  top tier pve or pvp guilds were not even taking players who thinks outside the box. i remember in cata i got kicked out of a guild because i did not build my prot pala the way i want to, i built wit ha bit of self heal and it was working great in hc but the guild leaders or officer did not like it, so kick ftw!! the old talent system was bonkers. it is better to have no choice(current "talent" tree) than to have choices with no value. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.