Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buyer Beware

emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Square Enix has been known to try to turn a quick buck, mislead and put out terrible games.  FFXIV failed the first go after being told in beta that the game sucked. 

The original roadmap for ARR put the downtime of servers and the transition from 1.0 to 2.0 to 3months, basically getting the original player base back in the game by March at the most, the game is now looking at pushing july/august before turning on the switch according to Yoshida at Nico Nico.  Granted things happen that are uncontrollable but this is a pretty big gap.

According to Yoshida the games combat was a driving factor in pushing the game back.  This is after admitting testers have only seen a small portion of the game.

In 1.0, I got the opportunity to test the game in beta.  The game was extremely unplayable and the forums were livid.  The white knights and the devs at the time were adamant that the beta was not representative of the game.  It was.

I am not saying this game is bad or good.  Please do not take this post that way. 

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS GAME until the nda is fully lifted and you can get a true preview from the media and players.

Comments

• NoxcardNoxcard Member UncommonPosts: 30

I feel where you are coming from, I was quite let down with ffxiv the 1st time but after playing ffxiv:arr. I can say its been good to my knowledge. As for the delay mmmm how much can i say I feel like the game is completely new game and  I dont mean a good revamp I mean the game feels like ffxv ;). I only decided to post because even though your post is not telling people to stay away from ffxiv directly I feel you sending alot of hate out there without much justification. Every consumer should have enough common knowledge to know its better to try before buying, if they choose not too than thats against them and we all know about everygame that hits the pc scene is given an oppourtunity to try for free through open betas and free trial periods. 

p.s. ffxiv first launch had periods for masses to try as well before they bought it :)

• FlaebFlaeb Member Posts: 91
    If I want it, I'll buy it. ;)
  • c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Personally I think FFXIV as it was when they shut it down to progress on ARR was still better than most mmorpg's out there.  I might be in the minority but I enjoyed the game even with its problems.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by c0exist
    Personally I think FFXIV as it was when they shut it down to progress on ARR was still better than most mmorpg's out there.  I might be in the minority but I enjoyed the game even with its problems.

QFT.  It was the best "new" mmo except for Rift...everything else that's come out recently doesn't even come close to ffxiv after they changed leads :)

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    There is only so much one can say about ARR . Enjoyable is one word. Surprising another. But the only thing I will say in all honesty wait until NDA is lifted . Then judge .

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Flaeb
    If I want it, I'll buy it. ;)

Best response ever :)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

No one should buy a game they know very little about.

Thankfully, SE are extremely open about what they are doing and why they are doing it and have gained a ton of respect from me in how they have handled the redevelopment (both financially and technically).

They will be offering an open beta for people that are not lucky enough to be in one of the phases so far, so people will be able to make up their mind in safety.

Personally, I will be subbing for sure. I really like what they have made this game into.

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by emperorhades1

The original roadmap for ARR put the downtime of servers and the transition from 1.0 to 2.0 to 3months, basically getting the original player base back in the game by March at the most, the game is now looking at pushing july/august before turning on the switch according to Yoshida at Nico Nico.  Granted things happen that are uncontrollable but this is a pretty big gap.

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS GAME until the nda is fully lifted and you can get a true preview from the media and players.

Them pushing the release back is for me a sign of quality. I'm not saying the game will be high quality (I dont know much about it), but this is a testiment that they are taking their time to craft the game properly this time around. I've never heard of a game that's gone through the process of birth, death and reincarnation like FFXIV has. It's now or never for them. Pushing the release back at this critical stage is a sign of sound reasoning and not only the Suits counting dollars (or Yen).

In regards of purchase, your advice is good. It's not only valid on this game, though, but all games. I've never pre-purchased a game.  Untill recently... That happened to be Sim City 2013, and I guess the moral is: Timeless principles are Timeless.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The delay is because they are doing it right, listening to feedback and not pushing out an unfinished game this time around.

I knew the original FF14 was a trainwreck during beta, I purchased it for $3 after a few months and still couldnt bring myself to play it (despite the great graphics and my love of FF).

They have already said in the roadmap that there will be an open beta. There is a lot more transparency this time around, and they know they cannot afford to screw it up again.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by c0exist

The world was amazing. The combat? Not so much.

• cyberkillcyberkill Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I think most of of us that bought 1.0 learned our lessons there but I still have faith that SE will pull this one together I mean I have never seen a game nuke its own world to rebuild from the ground up and if it takes longer than normal I will wait because I am sick of games releasing that are half finished 
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Why are you judging the game on its previous incarnation when AAR is a vast change and improvement, dont judge a game until you try it, there are to many here already that do as you just did.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

If they mess it up this time their name will be ruined, its already damaged from FF 13...the FF 14 was a disaster also.
    The market has alot to offer these days, free to play / buy to play / sub based mmo's.
    No idea how much subs they target for to break even.
    I realy hope FF ARR will be a great mmo, but standards are so high these days you can fail much easier then a decade ago where the players where satisfied and happy with a few updates .

I think we all want that magical FF where we get lost the moment we log in and look at the clock and notice its 3 o clock in the night, remember those days :) ?
    its been a long time a game came out that took me away to a realm far far away from reality.
    Thats why i hope SE can pull this one off...

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    His advice isnt bad, Id go as far as to say dont buy anything until its released and maybe you can try a trial.
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Square Enix has been known to try to turn a quick buck, mislead and put out terrible games.  FFXIV failed the first go after being told in beta that the game sucked. 

According to Yoshida the games combat was a driving factor in pushing the game back.  This is after admitting testers have only seen a small portion of the game.

In 1.0, I got the opportunity to test the game in beta.  The game was extremely unplayable and the forums were livid.  The white knights and the devs at the time were adamant that the beta was not representative of the game.  It was.

I am not saying this game is bad or good.  Please do not take this post that way. 

DO NOT PURCHASE ANY GAME until the nda is fully lifted and you can get a true preview from the media and players.

Fixed

First, you cannot buy ARR reborn as yet, announcement of pre orders coming soon.

Delay was down to licensing of PS3 in different countries as my understanding, and they are also doing a lot of changes due to beta feedback, and all those changes have been fed back by the devs in the forums including battle system.

The roadmap was a guide and was ALWAYS subject to change.

The forums was full of trolls and thankfully most have dispersed, As to the content of the Beta I won't comment on here due to NDA.

Yoshida has always been open and honest about what he is trying to achieve, and has never made any comment about the representation of the game in regards to Beta in the forums, that is just made up by you.

As to 1.x, yes it was an abomination, but Yoshida who took over made some excellent progress with it despite having to implement content on an engine that was completely unsuitable for an MMO.  1.x became very playable despite the game engines faults and with some great content.

As to the thread title, this should be applied to every game that's in development.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Square enix has proved itself as the only trustworthy company in the group, the fact that you wont even acknowledge that shows just how gross you are, coming in here and creating a buyers beware. 

Lets state facts, the game was released in a shitty state, the devs acknowledged this, and what did they do? They let EVERYONE who bought the game, play for free for close to a year. to get the game to a state where it was worthy of a sub then they started charging. With a realm reborn they admitted the game was subpar, they admitted they couldve done much better and thats what they are doing. The game producer has written a letter and detailed every step the game is taking and has stuck too it. 

The ARR beta forums are amazing, the devs are having conversations, listening to feedback and explaining why features are the way they are, or agreeing with testers and letting us know if they are going to implement a suggestion made by the community. 

They want this game to succeed even more then the fans that are supporting it.

Name one company american or otherwise that took a released game offline and went back to the drawing board? EA gams blamed us when star wars failed, neverwinter is incomplete and barely playable without investing 50 to 100 bucks a week.

Square enix has proved they deserve some loyalty, that alone is reason enough for me to play this game.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Thanks but if want I buy it now and your previous experiences, thoughts wont make not to ;)

v 1.0 maybe kinda failed but it still was better than half recent mmos + they are completely remaking it, other companies would just milk the game for fast cash and thats all...

Players are paying 200 bucks for crappy mmo like Neverwinters founders pack ... what else should I add? xD

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

FFXIV.1 was spectacularly bad. But the level of effort they have gone to in terms of shifting to a culture of transparency and the amount of loss they have endured in terms of rebuilding the game and the months of not charging their players early on is more than a bit impressive. In fact, it is completely unprecedented. Any other company would have just written it of and ran to the nearest bankruptcy court. You can tell that when they had finally finished assessing there "trainwreck", the order went out, probably from the very top, to do what ever it would take to make it right and save both the franchise and the company's reputation.

Only a company the size of Square Enix could afford something like that. But was it even more impressive is that they actually followed thru on it. Execs will often talk a good talk about things like "doing what ever it takes". But then when it comes time to write the checks and explain things to the owners and stockholders they cave in.

V.1 of the game may have been a grand disappointment and Square does have a spotty history in terms of how they treat their customers. But, how they have handled this rebuild is nothing short legendary. This is a Phoenix from the ashes sort of thing. (or would that be phoEnix :) They have more than earned a second chance and they are still footing the bill for that second chance. If you bought the FFXIV the first time through, you will not need to buy the updated version and you will be getting your free month again for the re-release. That is treating your customers with respect. Further, the up coming phase 3 beta will be open to everyone who bought v.1 and phase 4 will be an open beta. So there is no reason to no try it out.

All die, so die well.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    I 'm rolling the dice and buying this game on release largely unseen. Thanks for the warning, but I think I'll be alright.
  • reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Like the second poster said, the OP in-directly sending out negative vibe.

I purchased the FFXIV and I liked the game but it is true that it has problems and finally I stopped playing.  

Will I come back for FFXIV: ARR?  Yes I would and I'm looking forward to it. 

Square Ennix might have made many mistakes in the past but if they are willing to spend more money on a failed game and totally re-design the whole thing, I believe they deserve a second chance.  

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Im buying it
  • sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151
    Square-enix has been hit and miss ever since masterminds behind final fantasy 1-9 left.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I know SE lost alot of money from ffxiv 1.0 and they could have shutdown ffxiv completely but they didnt they care about there fanbase too much so SE is taking another risk by starting over on ffxiv now we all know alot of devs wouldnt this because of risk of losing money again. I give SE a thumbs up for trying again
  • SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

I'll buy it if i feel like it, thank you very much.  Since I've had access to it, I've been able to make judgments for myself.  I'll be purchasing with no regrets and feel quite excited about the whole thing.  I've given nothing away, aside from the fact that I've played it, but i say this because the OP is so passively/aggressively damning of the product, it seems necessary.   I can understand warning people i suppose, given the game's first disaster, which i was there for and promptly fled.  That should say something right there.  It's rock solid.  Let people make their own buying decisions please.

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

Square Enix has been known to try to turn a quick buck, mislead and put out terrible games. 

I read this part and didn't want to read the rest, I consider this guy a troll.  Square Enix are creators of one of the greatest game series ever known to most of us gamers, Final Fantasy.  Whether you loved or hated certain ones in the series, everyone had their favourites no matter which one it was!  Not to mention the Star Ocean series, Dragon Quest series, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire series, Front Mission series and many many more..

Stating that Square Enix creates terrible games and misleads its fans to make a quick buck is utter nonsense! this company, or these two if you consider they are SquareSoft and EIDOS merged, have brought to us some of the most amazing games of our time!  Those of you who disagree and/or just want to troll like he is by calling me stuff like fanboy can go suck it as far as I'm concerned cus damn right I am a fan of this company.

If you ask me alot of you are ungrateful spoiled brats who are the ones ruining the games of this era!  Stop ya damn whining and bitching and actually learn to enjoy a good game!

imageimage