Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fun ... But...

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

For people like me that love story based quests and challenges... So the gameworld is right up my alley... On top of that, this is the single MMO out there that doesnt feel like the world design is to static, just because it is so different, i dont think more dynamic things like dynamic events would add much to this game.

Sadly in the year since release ther havent been added much new openworld zones.... I would have loved to walk the streets of Paris, Rome and Athene.  Or new outdoor zones in China, Japan India, Greece, Southern America...   There is so much left to be added.  What this game needs most to survivelong time is new explorable content atleast of the same lvel of the orriginl game.

Its the other main part of the game that could havemade the game even better, in my opiion the game is litterally asking for a fps targetting system, and with only 7 skills some more interskill actions would have added more depth. I agree that games with less more meaningfull skills are the future, but having only 7 skills s just to minimalistic in my vision 12  is the bare minimum. Having more tactical realtime optons to choose would make combat even better. 

Personally i think combat relies to much on mob AI which is actually surprising.

Just wondering if development wil pick up, or if Funcom is allready putting their deveopment efforts in new projects istead of letting their old projects grow to full addult status

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Like you I so want to like this game.  Story and atmosphere are top-notch, maybe best in any game at the moment.  The lackluster combat just kills this for me, however.  I never made it out of the starting area in New England and just couldn't take the combat any more.  The community was even helpful whenever I had problems.   I can't speak to content obviously since I never got that far.  It just seems I continually wait for a game to get "it all right".
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Combat is truly awful in this game.  One of the worse things about this game because that is what hinders it.  The animations are lackluster, but not terrible.  There is no physicality to combat and that ends the game right there for a lot of people.  I can deal with the themepark-ness of the quest/leveling.  The voices are okay, not up to Bioware standards, and the music is kind of blah.

If this game had full physics and kinetic combat with weight to it, it would be great.  But it doesn't, so it is just mediocre.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I actually like the skillsystem of TSW with it's 7/7 limits, but as you've said TSW simply lacks more frequent addition of explorable content, i.e. new zones and new mobs.

Adding a few new quests every month or two in the existing zones isn't going to cut it really and after I had completed 100% of the skillwheel with two characters, and getting my 10.4/10.4 on my main there was nothing more left to do.

Gaining SP/AP was way too fast aswell imho. It could've been halved and it would've still been sufficient.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think there's an option in there to make the combat work like Neverwinter rather than gw2.

Err if that was what you were looking for op.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    How can you say the music is Meh.

Best mmo music ever
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

For people like me that love story based quests and challenges... So the gameworld is right up my alley... On top of that, this is the single MMO out there that doesnt feel like the world design is to static, just because it is so different, i dont think more dynamic things like dynamic events would add much to this game.

Sadly in the year since release ther havent been added much new openworld zones.... I would have loved to walk the streets of Paris, Rome and Athene.  Or new outdoor zones in China, Japan India, Greece, Southern America...   There is so much left to be added.  What this game needs most to survivelong time is new explorable content atleast of the same lvel of the orriginl game.

Its the other main part of the game that could havemade the game even better, in my opiion the game is litterally asking for a fps targetting system, and with only 7 skills some more interskill actions would have added more depth. I agree that games with less more meaningfull skills are the future, but having only 7 skills s just to minimalistic in my vision 12  is the bare minimum. Having more tactical realtime optons to choose would make combat even better. 

Personally i think combat relies to much on mob AI which is actually surprising.

Just wondering if development wil pick up, or if Funcom is allready putting their deveopment efforts in new projects istead of letting their old projects grow to full addult status

As i see you are currently playing gw2, and the 3 skills more gw2 offers is enough for you? you can't even choose which skill it is.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Gaining SP/AP was way too fast aswell imho. It could've been halved and it would've still been sufficient.

Hey, "racer"! Believe me, chopping the AP/SP rate in half would be really lousy for a lot of people.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Tokyo is set to release after the next issue.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

If you press T you actually crosshair, working a bit like gw2 combatmod.

Fun that you say the world of TSW doesn't fell static.

After playing a world like GW2 that has NPCs moving and shouting everywhere, TSW world feels static, but maybe we are talking of different things.

I agree with you that the story and atmosphere are its best aspects.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Vapors

As i see you are currently playing gw2, and the 3 skills more gw2 offers is enough for you? you can't even choose which skill it is.

Actually i am currently playing TSW, SWtor, Neverwinter and GW2.   

But you really misunderstand GW2, yes it has only 10 skillbuttons, but my elementalist has actually  38 skills and none of my characters has less then 20 skills

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Gorwe
    Tokyo's coming soon.

That and they need to consolidate after their move to North Carolina(I think). Then they will kick up a notch(currently they have to train all the newbies in the studio).

Also, TSW has got quite some potential and I will go as far as to say following:

If Funcom notices this potential, it can easily become like eve. Constantly growing and constantly engaging.

Sadly the potential of TSW requires much and frequent free content updates, and that isn´t the strongest point from the company, if i remember correct from the other 2 games i played before this one.

TSW is different from all other MMO´s that warrants most of its potential.  Its a good game with some flaws, espescially in the combat department, so far no attention has been given to these flaws... 

I guess most players stick around for the great stories and atmosphere as long as they can stand the combat.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Tokyo's coming soon.

That and they need to consolidate after their move to North Carolina(I think). Then they will kick up a notch(currently they have to train all the newbies in the studio).

Also, TSW has got quite some potential and I will go as far as to say following:

If Funcom notices this potential, it can easily become like eve. Constantly growing and constantly engaging.

Sadly the potential of TSW requires much and frequent free content updates, and that isn´t the strongest point from the company, if i remember correct from the other 2 games i played before this one.

TSW is different from all other MMO´s that warrants most of its potential.  Its a good game with some flaws, espescially in the combat department, so far no attention has been given to these flaws... 

I guess most players stick around for the great stories and atmosphere as long as they can stand the combat.

i would luv TSW if it wassnt for the combat, it has to be the most unbalenced system of all the new MMO,

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

GW2's combat system is actually pretty different from TSW. Animations are better and the flow of combat is far smoother. Skills within and between classes interact in various ways, each class has a lot of ways to build their character so the fact that skills are locked to a weapon is not an issue. It feels much more actiony. It has a better variety of skills with more CC's, longer lasting/shorter CD CCs, more and varied buffs and debuffs you can use more often, along with all types of damaging skills. All of these things are very limited in TSW, not giving you as much flexibility and choice in how to play and tactics to use in a given situation. Not to mention there's no set rotation because you aren't limited by a builder/consumer system. I'm not saying either game has the best combat in the world, but GW2 is far different and far better than TSW. I enjoy TSW for a lot of things, but combat is not one of them.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I think there's an option in there to make the combat work like Neverwinter rather than gw2.

Meh the only thing the crosshair toggle does is auto target for you and allow you to move more like an FPS game. But the game is still built to be a tab target game so the crosshair doesn't magically make the game feel or function like TERA or RaiderZ or Neverwinter. It's more of a cosmetic change but combat is still the same.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

still playing & enjoying, best   new mmo on market,...& I don't care for story,cut scenes & voice acting.

Awesome setting & atmosphere it is why I love TSW !

• platonicxplatonicx Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by Leiloni

GW2's combat system is actually pretty different from TSW. Animations are better and the flow of combat is far smoother. Skills within and between classes interact in various ways, each class has a lot of ways to build their character so the fact that skills are locked to a weapon is not an issue. It feels much more actiony. It has a better variety of skills with more CC's, longer lasting/shorter CD CCs, more and varied buffs and debuffs you can use more often, along with all types of damaging skills. All of these things are very limited in TSW, not giving you as much flexibility and choice in how to play and tactics to use in a given situation. Not to mention there's no set rotation because you aren't limited by a builder/consumer system. I'm not saying either game has the best combat in the world, but GW2 is far different and far better than TSW. I enjoy TSW for a lot of things, but combat is not one of them.

Meh the only thing the crosshair toggle does is auto target for you and allow you to move more like an FPS game. But the game is still built to be a tab target game so the crosshair doesn't magically make the game feel or function like TERA or RaiderZ or Neverwinter. It's more of a cosmetic change but combat is still the same.

You realize all those games use the exact same mechanic as TSW? They jsut dotn show u the target lock. Its one of the most laugable things. People who think those games are action becouse u have to aim at stuff. Which in fact you dont.

Originally posted by platonicx
    Originally posted by Leiloni

You realize all those games use the exact same mechanic as TSW? They jsut dotn show u the target lock. Its one of the most laugable things. People who think those games are action becouse u have to aim at stuff. Which in fact you dont.

well, its not about what they are, but how they feel... and they feel much better combat wise..

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Story belongs in single player games, mmorpgs are about community and player interaction. Devs these days are turning mmos  into online single player games. People who need their mmo to be story driven just lack imagination.
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Story belongs in single player games, mmorpgs are about community and player interaction. Devs these days are turning mmos  into online single player games. People who need their mmo to be story driven just lack imagination.

Then we differ very much..... Story is an important part for me in MMORPGs and becoming more important as time passes. without lore and stories an MMO just turns intoo a bunch of game mechanics for me

So we differ...  I do really like stories as part of MMORPGs, please dont tell me what is good or bad for MMORPGs... we dont share the same vision and probably never will.  Both opinions are personal, but you are saying that all mmorpgs need to change in the direction you want... thats just plain stupid.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

Without a story, our characters would have no reason to be there.   There would be no purpose in doing anything.  The game would be The Sims Online with weaponry.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

Combat is truly awful in this game.  One of the worse things about this game because that is what hinders it.  The animations are lackluster, but not terrible.  There is no physicality to combat and that ends the game right there for a lot of people.  I can deal with the themepark-ness of the quest/leveling.  The voices are okay, not up to Bioware standards, and the music is kind of blah.

If this game had full physics and kinetic combat with weight to it, it would be great.  But it doesn't, so it is just mediocre.

Unfortunately it seems to be where Funcom always misses the mark in their games. Age of Conan would be one of my main games, but the combat seems to lack something there. Maybe it's the animations or the game engine functionality or something else, but there is just something with Funcom combat and animations that just  has me moving on. SWO has some great content, but when the combat is not fun the content is not enough to carry you through (at least for me).

• Pekish79Pekish79 Member Posts: 91

people that say combat is bad they are looking for action combat

this is strategic combat and the strategy start from making your deck out of 500+ abilities (active and passive)

it's not an hack and slash where your monkey reflex win over the other person monkey reflex no matter the built...or your speed in pressing the button 0.03 sec faster then your enemy when u see a blinking icon is what we call "SKILL"

(i think i can train my dog to do that if only he had fingers! a cookie when he see a blinking buff is all he need to learn to push the button super fast!.)

no! here you actually have to test synergy put up some calculation test active passive consider proc... build up your gear picking the right signet the right glyph with the right stats mix match it all with some potion/adrenaline/ambrosia

and then u still can totally lose vs an enemy that has the counter built to your specific built because there is always a yin to a yen (it's painfull and piss you off... i agree but it's what make you want to build more then 1 set and the reason you keep playing the same character over and over even if u are a perfect tank to became a perfect DPS and then a healer...)

Yeah the combat is horrible if u want to win it all the time with the "cookie/cut" built that u read on the forum...and don't grasp the concept of synergy and is horrible unbalanced if you are really bad at building up your deck or you expect with a new character to win a fight vs a 8 month old character

It doesn't need to please everybody usually complicated things please less people then easy things (a lot more people like monkey combat reflex based rather then strategic one where u actually need to think)  but the few that can handle the complexity actually enjoy it more

Ngoc

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Ngoc

(and when u say the combat is terrible it would help you if you include your Chronicle just to have an idea of how much u actually tried it)