Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Perfect Baby of GW2 and WoW?

kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

Although I thought GW2 was a fantastic game and well worth every penny, and as much as I loved the breath of fresh air it was to see an MMO that tried many many new things instead of the typical "innovate one thing and keep everything else the same" mantra so many MMOs try cling to (Swtor with story and only story, Tera with combat and only combat, etc)... They may have changed too much and didn't give all their players everything they want.

WoW whether you want to hate on it or not (which is totally understandable in 2013) was a pretty outstanding game for it's time giving players fluid gameplay, a quest driven storyline, PvP and a solid endgame, all of which were somewhat rare at the time.  Whether these are really all that great or not at this day and age is completely debatable depending on personal taste. One thing for sure is that it made a big enough impact to inspire hundreds (most likely not an exaggeration) of copy-pasta'd clones.

WildStar from the looks of it may turn out to be the messiah of these two greats.

On the WoW side we have:

- 40 Man Raids

- 2 Factions

- Open world PvP between factions (Most likely but not sure, but if not then why are there factions? =P)

- Questlines (but much spicier from the looks of it)

- Seamless Open World (I think, don't quote me on it)

- Cartoon-ish look giving it lasting appeal and easy on system req.s (though the style reminds me more of ratchet and clank rather than WoW.  May deter people regardless)

- Battlegrounds and Arenas

On the GW2 side we have:

- Dynamic Events

- Dynamic, Fast Paced and Active Combat

- Active Dodging

- Limited Hotbar

- No Animation Locks! At least for the most part (Huge deal for me)

- Environmental Weapons (sort of)

- Jumping Puzzles

Plus a bunch of other Cool shit!

- Warplots

- Paths

- Build Variety

- Very Unique Races and Somewhat Unique Classes

- In Depth Player Housing

- High Amount of Telegraphs (Skillshots)

- Environmental Layers

- Very Amusing, Extremely Comical

- Double Jump!

And More!

Now I try not to get hyped for new MMOs, I try really hard but this is shaping up to look fantastic.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
Why is it still such a big deal?

Comments

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

If it is taking from both then it's a good idea. Taking the best of both worlds. Will be interesting to see.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    The cartoon world turns me off and will probably keep me away.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by flizzer

I feel sorry for you. I am sorry you've never tried Wizard/Pirate 101 or Dragon Nest. It's pretty sad that such a silly pre-conception is stopping you from trying something new.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Ive tried games that for me look bad, for example WoW, and could never get over the horrible game look.  For me it is akin to hanging an ugly painting in your house. Im constantly looking at it and it is doing nothing for me.  Wildstar might be the best thing since sliced bread, but I doubt I will be able to play it.  
  • BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by Magnetia
    Originally posted by flizzer

I feel sorry for you. I am sorry you've never tried Wizard/Pirate 101 or Dragon Nest. It's pretty sad that such a silly pre-conception is stopping you from trying something new.

Why feel bad Cartoon games do look bad and I wont waste my time on them either so don't feel sorry for us we just DONT care.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    that '40-man raids' already put me off lol, what we need is more "I don't care who you are but I am only looking at what you can add to my desire to grind gear 6d/week" content. :P

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

perfect? no

Baby? Sure

I think it'll be a great game still.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    As long as they dont go mega,  ultra commercial way like wow did, I'm with the similarities OP mention.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

40 men raids where the most epic raids ever created in WoW period :)
    What mmo's dont need is spoonfed crap like Dungeon Finders / easy progresion for gear / cross realm shit / anything that takes away the sense of a community.

If they take the best of Vanila WoW / TBC and GW1 / GW2 maybe it wont be bad, but wait and see i supose :)
    ive seen to many promesing mmo's fall flat on the face even with scores of 9.0+ :(

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

I don't get the hate for WildStar's art style. Yes, it's a cartoony artstyle, but it (as far as I've seen) isn't characterized by the typical, horrible marks of cartoon styles (such as giant shoulder armor, as seen in WoW, or terribly drawn prepubescent characters with next to no customization options such as those in Ragnarok 2). By comparison, WildStar's style is relatively clean, unique, and quirky. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

how about we wait ONE TIME till we played it before we start to hype it?

just a thought.... happy hyping. i know you guys won't stop :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    the Gods often give birth to hideous beasts
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I remember 40 man raids. I'd rather just watch reality TV if I want to see that kind of nonsense go on. At least then it only takes 1 hr a week of your time.

At least in 10 and maybe 25 man raids there's a chance you might actually like some of the ppl you raid with.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I dunno, I personally feel as though WildStar's combat to be somewhat clunky.  You move around as though this was a reticle combat MMO like RaiderZ, TERA, or Neverwinter, but unlike all three of them, your main attack is a bunch of hotkeys 1-6, which I find very difficult to press when I am trying to dodge an attack.

Still, the game is enjoyable, but it's about as perfect as any other MMO out there; in other words it is not.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

I dunno, I personally feel as though WildStar's combat to be somewhat clunky.  You move around as though this was a reticle combat MMO like RaiderZ, TERA, or Neverwinter, but unlike all three of them, your main attack is a bunch of hotkeys 1-6, which I find very difficult to press when I am trying to dodge an attack.

Still, the game is enjoyable, but it's about as perfect as any other MMO out there; in other words it is not.

Sounds about right.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Way more wow than gw2

Gear driven, raid orientated etc..
  • tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    Combination of GW2 and WoW sounds like an attempt at the most anti-fun game possible.
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by Mothanos

40 men raids where the most epic raids ever created in WoW period :)
    What mmo's dont need is spoonfed crap like Dungeon Finders / easy progresion for gear / cross realm shit / anything that takes away the sense of a community.

If they take the best of Vanila WoW / TBC and GW1 / GW2 maybe it wont be bad, but wait and see i supose :)
    ive seen to many promesing mmo's fall flat on the face even with scores of 9.0+ :(

Look at the games that launched without dungeon finders, and look what people bitched about the most and how those games did.

Fact is any big budget MMO needs the spoonfed derp epix crowd to sustain it.  If you want to escape that crowd, your looking at niche gaming, or insular group gaming.

Wildstar has a lot of cool systems and a nice setting, but like most mmos it starts life with a bang, fades with a whimper then rebuilds with resolve, finding its own level after a year and building around that.

Developer led gaming has a limited shelf life, most MMOs build around churn these days rather than building for the players who live in them, that is why you no longer have the "Sense of community".  That and the fact that honestly, the only reason people engaged with each other so much back in the day was because there was not much else to do for entertainment, the games were built to slow us down now the games are built to instantly gratify us, the balance is somewhere in the middle, but I am not sure where, the first studio to find it will have a success on their hands.  But not a wow level of success, that will never happen again, expectations from publishers and studios need to change just as players expectations do before either side can be happy again.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    40man raids were dumb. They had easy mechanics and most fights until Naxxramas were tank and spanks with perhaps waves of adds thrown in. The one thing that is missing from current MMOs that someone needs to get back is the feeling of a journey and the accomplishment of working for something. WoW sacrificed these journeys for ease-of-use, and in some cases it has worked, but in others it hasn't. I'm hardly the one to wave a wand of disapproval at WoW for doing these things, I'm not that limited of mind, but I do wish the game had more things like the Warlock green fire quest where you do this epic quest line and get something special at the end if you endure the hardships and are good enough to overcome the difficulty.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Iam going to be honest here and not try to bash or talk negative about Wildstar, i have not looked into the game or seen enough to say anything good or bad about it !!!

I just talk about what made WoW the best mmo time i have ever had :)

That time was born when WoW came out and it took 2.5 hours to complete a dungeon and pray you had a piece of blue gear at the end of your run.

Where many guilds where raiding end game contend and a tight SERVER community was build.
    Where pvp versus the other faction ment something, where you fought for honor and glory.
    Where you knew the names of the best pvp players on your server from ally to foe.
    Where in some cases you even knew their real 1st name from Ventrillo.

Where epic battles where fought at raid entrance's and many people where locked out of the raid as they coulnt get past the endless rage of the enemy that blocked said gates,
    Where you as alliance / horde needed to clear the damn corridors leading to the entrance to get your raid inside.

Where farming gold in peace could turn into a server shutdown as the whole server was called in to wipe that spot clean of enemy's
    Where you made premades and farmed hours on end for a pvp rank to get a free mount or the highest pvp rank for epeen.
    Where you build a friend list that lasted for years...

The communty is what makes mmo's great to play. but its the developers to give us the tools to build that kind of mmo...
    With spoodfed epics and instand cross realm pvp you create a lobby game that dies faster then it gets a chanse to grow.
    I realy hope Developers can create such mmo where that magic flame will burn once more.
    WoW's best days where not the 8 million subs.....it was when the game had 500k subs :)
    it was the vocal minority that pulled in more and more people into the game before it spread like wildfire and grew into the giant it once was.

If mmo's try to copy the latest shit like Warhammer / Aion / SWTOR / GW2 then the same fait awaits them.
    it will just be mmo number 197390131 that launches with maybe 2 million subs before server after server dies out.

Its hard to pinpoint where that sweet spot for mmo's is.
    Where its community gets a chanse to grow and the players gets the tools to make it last.

• AredylAredyl Member Posts: 22

When I played WoW, I did enjoy the epic style of 40 man raiding.  It was also frustrating on those night where people didn't show up - having a group of 30 or so and had to cancel.

For me, the best part of WoW was from TBC to the end of WotLK - a climate that allowed smaller groups to coexist with larger groups.  During TBC, ZA and Kara were still needed long after they were released.  It allowed for casual raiders to get some gear, raiders needing to replace that outdated item or two, or just blow something up for the challenge *cough* ZA bear *cough*.

WotLK had something similar in the split between 10 man and 25 man raiding.  It allowed casual raiding alongside hardcore raiding.  I could help out a friend in their 10 man without sacrificing my spot in a hardcore 25 man.  The community was also strong enough on most servers to PuG 25 mans later in the life cycle.

With the removal of the 10/25 man lockout, it forced players to make a decision between their two groups.  Raid leaders decided to downsize to 10 man since the content was almost identical, the rewards were the exact same, and they didn't have to put in as much effort.  The gear resets experienced in WotLK became more noticed to me, as the old content during Cata/MoP just served as a quick farm for points - rarely did anything useful come in the way of drops that were substantially better than what was available for soloists.

Blizzard introduced LFR to help bridge this, but it really isn't the same thing.  You don't even need your friends to raid casually anymore - just push a button and wait for a raid filled with a bunch of pugs just like (and the complete opposite of) you.  Instead of supporting the casual community, it helped drive it apart.

-----------------------------------

Back on topic:  I don't think that Wildstar will be that cross between WoW and GW2, unless you refer that it has a cartoon-like art style (like WoW) and is more action-based (like GW2).  I feel that it will have that niche market that will support it (I won't for one glaring reason that I won't state here).  I also believe that you won't see that large blockbuster style MMO anymore, as there are just too many choices nowadays trying to be that next 5+ million playerbase MMO.  

(On a side note:  a good chunk of Blizzard's subscription base was out of China, and with that market favoring the new MMO instead of the established one, its unlikely anybody will enjoy that much success again without completely revamping the formula to something we haven't seen before.)

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

TERA's combat is still by far the best of any MMORPG on the market, so if it's anything like that, which it's looking like it will be, I'll be super happy. Also, what's so hard about moving and pressing keybinds all at the same time?

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    You forgot one MASSIVE feature, that many people hold dear and sometimes even a decisive factor wether to play or not , HOUSING!
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Way more wow than gw2

Gear driven, raid orientated etc..

and thats the great part :)

wow > gw2 .... rpgs are and always were about gear and power. GW 2 failed in this hard time, they did screw up loyal gw 1 fans and bring no endgame for wow/eq players.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Leiloni

TERA's combat is still by far the best of any MMORPG on the market, so if it's anything like that, which it's looking like it will be, I'll be super happy. Also, what's so hard about moving and pressing keybinds all at the same time?

I think it would be best if you experienced it firsthand.  It might not be clunky to you, but it sure is to me.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?