Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Weekend Exploit Repaired

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios worked feverishly through Sunday to close an exploit that allowed some Neverwinter players to obtain millions of Astral Diamonds that were then sold for Zen in the Exchange. The team took servers down and rolled back servers to 5:20 a.m. PDT, returning all Zen and Astral Diamonds to their original owners. Players taking advantage of the exploit have been banned.

Q: What about ZEN I spent/transferred after 5:20 AM PDT?

A: You'll have any and all ZEN that you transferred to Neverwinter -- we tracked all transfers during that time and made sure players have the ZEN they should have. If you spent ZEN on items during that time, you'll need to re-buy the items, but you'll have all of that ZEN. No one will lose any money they spent on Neverwinter because of this fix. If you have any issue, please see the customer and billing support contacts below.

Read the full FAQ on the Neverwinter forum. Also check out the official announcement.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I wouldn't say repaired.. I'd say swept under the rug.

Can we get MMORPG clarification as well because I'm seeing a majority of people who did it did not in fact get banned?  They were able to handoff to mules.

• neviuneviu Member UncommonPosts: 8
    yea the exploit been going on for some time they where to ignorant to fix,
  • SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310
    removing 7 hours of a 3 week long exploit isn't repairing anything.
  • NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    This game seems to be run by incompetent people.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think the roll back is the best solution.The bans however unless perma bans won't do a thing to keep players from trying to cheat a game and other players.I bet they are the usual 72 hour ban then those players will go right back like nothing happened and if another exploit comes along,they will be right there again.

There lies the problem with f2p,they could simply make a new account anyhow and banning players that spent no money results in doing nothing at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Each day I wonder why I am reading mmorpg.com ... For sure it is not because of the news or columns like this :D

I guess because of forums.

• nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Yes lets ban people for doing something we messed up on and lets take it out on them. Go home NW you're drunk.

• VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    I hope they do more research and perma-ban those who were using it prior to this weekend. Doing so in a very public fashion, banning IP's and posting the banned account names.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I very much doubt that would happen because it might too adversely affect their profits.  After all, we want these players to create new accounts and spend some more money with us.  
  • sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    I think the damage has been done...and the road to real repair is a long ways from finished

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    PWE is now showing how moronic they are. The exploit was going on far before then and the economy is shot.
    It's not "fixed" , maybe you should clarify that.
  • daemondaemon Member UncommonPosts: 680

I made tons on 2 accounts. Only 1 got banned though.. so yeah a poor job they did.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by DMKano

Those who exploited prior to rollback still profited in a huge way. This exploit existed for weeks, nothing is being done to address that.

So it's been swept under the rug, and they're hoping that all players will ignore this and just keep playing.

Just like how Trion has been doing with Defiance in case of hackers and cheaters.

• Don't release a game in beta stage, devs.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Axxar
    Don't release a game in beta stage, devs.

Don't spend money on a game still in beta!

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    If you believe the OP I have some AD to sell you. 
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    This exploit has been around for more than a weekend.
  • Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Axxar
    Don't release a game in beta stage, devs.

Don't spend money on a game still in beta!

Fortunately I haven't spent a cent. In fact I've never even touched the game. The gameplay footage was enough to put me off.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by SupportPlayerMM
    removing 7 hours of a 3 week long exploit isn't repairing anything.

get da pitchforks! demand yo moneys back!

hallo ~_~

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

the sheeples are all going to roll-over and just take this...

Sz

:o)

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Forgot to add... one gamebreaking exploit was known since closed beta.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    It is always a problem for games with the full-on cash shop like the Neverwinter Astral Diamond Exchange, if the cash shop can in some way be exploited then it will be exploited. 
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We reached out to Cryptic directly, and are awaiting a response.

"Open beta" or not, this is pretty suspect.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141

That's no fix I was on the fence about buying this one  now they made my choice easy.

I will pass on any game theses 2 companies have going , if they allow this  cheating in beta wait till the game gets going the cheating will be really bad.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by nomadie
    Yes lets ban people for doing something we messed up on and lets take it out on them. Go home NW you're drunk.

It is called an "exploit" for a reason.  Also read TOS and notice Section 10k.

http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

10. User Conduct

You must observe these Terms, all Rules of Conduct, all applicable laws and all basic rules of etiquette and common courtesy when using the Website and the Service. Any conduct that violates the law in an offline, real world community is also a violation of these terms. PWE will not tolerate any illegal or offensive conduct.

Without limiting the foregoing, in addition to the User Content rules set forth in Section 10 above, you agree not to take any of the following actions:

• (a) Harm minors in any way;
    • (b) Impersonate any person or entity, including any PWE officials, forum leaders, guides, hosts, employees or agents, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
    • (c) Forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any message transmitted through the Website;
    • (d) Upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes", or any other form of solicitation;
    • (e) Interfere with or disrupt the Service, the Website or servers or networks connected to the Website, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Website;
    • (f) "Stalk," threaten or otherwise harass or cause discomfort to another;
    • (g) Collect, store, post or otherwise disseminate any personal data about other users;
    • (h) Impede or disrupt the Service or the normal flow of game play or dialogue in the game or in Interactive Areas on the Site or use vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or PWE employees;
    • (i) Engage in, encourage, or promote any illegal activity, or any activity that violates these Terms or the Rules of Conduct;
    • (j) Engage in any actions that defraud or attempt to defraud, scam or cheat others out of any items that have been earned through authorized game play;
    • (k) Cheat or utilize unauthorized exploits in connection with the Games or the Service;
    • (l) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players,
    • (m) trade, sell, auction or otherwise transfer any virtual items or goods of any nature outside the game; and/or
    • (n) Take any action that disrupts the Service or that negatively affects or may prohibit other users from enjoying the Website, the Games or any other aspect of the Service.

PWE may take any actions and impose any penalties we deem necessary to discourage and punish any violation of these terms or any other illegal or inappropriate conduct, all without prior notice or warning. The determination as to whether a violation has occurred and who is responsible for such act is solely within PWE's discretion, and is based on what we deem best for the community and the Website. By using the Website, you agree you will be bound by PWE's determination as to whether a violation has occurred and any penalty we choose to implement.