Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to pay for the game and have a sub.

Comments

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I hope they go with P2P... I prefer it over gettting nickle and dimed.

As soon as the game company sells something in a shop, it interferes with the design of the game, because then it's in the game company's interest to hinder you from getting it through playing normally.. And that bothers me.

It's better everyone just pay monthly, and no shop.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Most people these days won't pay a sub for an mmo because they are simply not worth it. if the game is p2p it will be a niche title.

Doesn't WoW prove the opposite or has WoW gone f2p recently?

It takes one to know one.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    all i am going to say is p2p is a dying breed.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

The only problem with F2P is that it's done wrong in about 99% of the western games.

A) It directly sells power.

B) It's way too expensive.

C) Heavy spenders get major advantage over F2Pers or low-to-medium spenders.

D) Their calculations are based on how much profit the CS brings monthly, not by how much they would 'require' a player to spend to play efficiently per month.

I could easily create an epic F2P /w CS system that was profitable and player friendly from the top of my head and I'm quite sure a _professional_ game developer could as well.

The problem here is investor greed which causes them to hold no gates barred when it comes to milking their customers. This usually ends up creating a game that dies faster than it was created.

The MMORPG market has changed into typical real life market where the customers retardiness is abused with no shame.

This is why "indie" developers like the team behind Path of Exile are doing great. They want to create a fun game while getting their own expenses paid and a little cherry profits on the top of that. They aren't trying to make millions maximal profit from every single thing.

Getting the extra oomph from your product is easiest by making unfriendly cashshops that provoke people in heavy spending and slap everyone else in the face.

F2P games are shit and I play them every now and then just for laughs. I could never get serious about an MMORPG that is not balanced P2P.

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

Has there ever been an exploit or exploiters in a subscription MMO?  If the answer is yes, then the OP's logic for hating the F2P model is flawed.

Anyway, I don’t care if Wildstar is p2P, B2P of f2p.  Eventually, I will play it.

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by deveilblad
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight
    Originally posted by DOGMA1138
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

I will never pay for a subscription to any game ever again in life.  Not the way these developers and publishers move.

I would rather buy a game upfront, and purchase "DLC" content and cosmetic items as I desire.

All these games with these subscriptions or dishonest cash shops, fucking off game play to annoy players into buying currency... they're no good.

Developers should be selling content for their game, and making good cosmetic things WORTH peoples purchases. Anything else is uncivilized. Full stop.

The problem is that DLC can never be produced fast enough and it will require the game to be heavily instanced ontop of splitting the player base.

And no MMO can survive on cosmetic items not unless you make all base items look like brown robes and then you break one of the most important pillars in an RPG which is customization.

Games like LoL can do that since they are not RPG's, they don't add new content champions or skins do not split the player base.

We've seen what items work in MMO's and those items are breaking the game, GW2 is the best case scenario and it's still quite bad, and games like NWN are simply a scam I've seen many people spending over 200$ in it in a very short while simply because for the most part pretty much every realistically achievable item is locked behind a paywall even drops in instances.

This is exactly why I would never ever in life pay for a subscription for a game again... EVER.  If a developer isn't capable of creating new content or cosmetic things enticing enough to purchase as a one off, why would I pay a fee per month?

Is this for real ? F2P models are bad for the exact reason you just wrote... The team is so focused on coming out with schemes to make money out of the cash shop, they don't have time to create real content. A steady flow of money every month from a subscription makes the investors happy while giving time to create real content...

Personally, I would like a sub for Wildstar, but as some have said, I would buy the initial box + sub and free expansions. The way WoW works with an initial box price + sub + expansion full price is a little extreme... For the cash shop, if it's one like WoW where it's not even in game and only offers mounts and pets, do what you want I don't care. Only as long as it's mounts, pets, and perhaps costumes ? With the housing system so integrated into the gameplay, leave housing items out of any cash hop there might be...

What I would like to pay for Wildstar in terms of sub : 13.99$ a month ( just to beat WoW lol ) going to 9.99$ per month if you sub for 12 months.

Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by Shelvinarr
    It's sad when all I see is the subscription model dying slowly around me, I remember first subbing to Asheron's Call for 9.95 when it came out, I thought I was insane for paying 10 dollars a month to play a video game. But I loved it, then when other games came out and charged 12.95, AC adjusted their prices to stay competitive. I didn't complain, I loved the game, I paid 12.95. Now, all I see are "F2P" this, "Cash shop" that. It breaks my heart, and it makes me sick a little on the inside that the industry has turned into a giant money grab scheme that we all keep falling for. It is us, the gamers, who have allowed this to happen. By playing these games, spending money in these cash shops, we've made sure the "F2P" era has started..and it is now the future. I hope everyone enjoys it, I haven't played a quality MMORPG in a long time.

That's because any mmo is a cash grab. I mean really, you think 14.99$ a month isn't a cash grab, but spending 14.99$ a month in a cash shop is. Love the logic on this site just love it.

Because F2P games do not cost 14.99$ a month to play to their full extent, more like...149.99$ a month... (obvious hyperbole thank you... ) and I'm sorry, but paying for bag space and character slots is just so ridiculous...

lol what game have you played that cost you 149.99$ a month, oh that's right none. Just talking out your ass got it.

I'm sorry if you fail to understand the meaning of hyperbole... Most intelligent people reading this will understand, so it's ok.

Originally posted by Aeander

I'm going to have to pass if it's a sub game. i don't feel like renting something I've already paid for. 

I'll buy a box and perhaps even spend money in a cosmetics + convenience only cash shop, but I will not hand them money every month for nothing. 

AH... you gotta love the new generation of ''I WANT EVERYTHING FOR FREE'' mentality... You do not pay for NOTHING, you pay for (not exclusively) the salary of the devs working to give you more content every month... Let's assume you are old enough to have a job here (probably not), you expect to get paid for your work right ? Game developers do too... It's not that hard to understand... You are paying every month for the constant support and development made to the game...

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

It is not the payment model that determines content quality and quantity. It is the developer, regardless of payment model. I thought that this was known by now. Just look at the crappy subbased releases that included a cash shop from the start.

Stop thinking that having to pay for a sub gives you any guarantee besides the fact that you have to pay monthly. Without knowing how the game turns out to be at release it is naive to start talking money. How many failed releases do you need to learn that lol ?

• genclaymoregenclaymore Member UncommonPosts: 44

I'm going to have to pass if it's a sub game. i don't feel like renting something I've already paid for. 

I'll buy a box and perhaps even spend money in a cosmetics + convenience only cash shop, but I will not hand them money every month for nothing. 

Same, it be something different if it was a b2p game, I'll do a B2P game way before i go back to a P2p game, unless I can get time cards dirt cheap.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    So you basically want the game to be dead 6 months after launch, check.
    Originally posted by someforumguy

It is not the payment model that determines content quality and quantity. It is the developer, regardless of payment model. I thought that this was known by now. Just look at the crappy subbased releases that included a cash shop from the start.

Stop thinking that having to pay for a sub gives you any guarantee besides the fact that you have to pay monthly. Without knowing how the game turns out to be at release it is naive to start talking money. How many failed releases do you need to learn that lol ?

Cash shop DOES mean a game of lesser quality because they always have to think about how to make you spend in the cash shop, either by gating some content from you, or making a lot of small annoyances in the game if you don't buy certain items, and even with cosmetic only cash shop, they have to divert some of the focus on content to create cute little outfits and pets and stuff.... ( I don't know any F2P games that have ONLY cosmetic stuff... don't give me GW2 as an example, you can buy gold directly from them... )

So YES, the payment model does determine the quality of the game BECAUSE it changes the mentality of both the developers and the players.

Originally posted by genclaymore

Same, it be something different if it was a b2p game, I'll do a B2P game way before i go back to a P2p game, unless I can get time cards dirt cheap.

Cheap people lol...

Could you explain WHY we would be entitled to a game with many content updates on a regular basis with just a box price and nothing else after ?Let's compare here : Do you see many single player games give you DLCs for free ? Do you whine saying ''OMG THEY ARE ASKING ME 10$ FOR THAT SKYRIM DLC (example) ?!?! BUT I ALREADY PAID THE ORIGINAL BOX PRICE DUHHH'' Why do you feel entitled to free content updates because it's an online game ? I don't get people's logic these days...

• genclaymoregenclaymore Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by AZHokie54
    So you basically want the game to be dead 6 months after launch, check.

That case look at other P2P mmos that have died, P2p didn't keep them afloat either.  Games like GW1 been around for a long time and they was B2P with EXP packs. GW2 is still doing good for a B2P game as well.  P2p is gonna go away slowly even if you don't like it.

For the one I don't have a problem with paying a sub, I just dont see it as worth it any more and I used to do subs all the time. now a days I rather do B2P then P2P.  You notice lately games that are P2p going to F2P any way. Atleast with it being B2P they can still get money from it, while charging money for DLC's and do something like Guild wars 1 did or what GW2 gonna do with EXP's.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Cash shop DOES mean a game of lesser quality because they always have to think about how to make you spend in the cash shop, either by gating some content from you, or making a lot of small annoyances in the game if you don't buy certain items, and even with cosmetic only cash shop, they have to divert some of the focus on content to create cute little outfits and pets and stuff.... ( I don't know any F2P games that have ONLY cosmetic stuff... don't give me GW2 as an example, you can buy gold directly from them... )

So YES, the payment model does determine the quality of the game BECAUSE it changes the mentality of both the developers and the players.

Why on earth did you assume I was defending cash shops? The sub fee +cash shop was just an example on how a game turned out to be subpar despite being p2p.

Cash shop is not part of the payment model, because cash shop items are never mandatory. Even if the sold items are p2w.

The payment model determines what you have to pay to access the game and play.

EDIT : To be clear, I agree with you about a p2p game designed with cash shop in mind. You will know as customer that the development is partly aimed at cash shop items instead of more content for the base game. But that is a different discussion.

• fumoffu1fumoffu1 Member Posts: 32

they should do box + 5€ sub. why is everyone doing 12€/15$ subs nowadays..

hell i don't want it to be free2play

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Rinna

I don't want Wildstar to be free to play.  I want their business model to be exactly like WoW's.  Barrier to entry, submission based, almost all perks and fun stuff are part of a monthly sub, other non-game breaking, cosmetic fluff in a cash shop.

I hate F2P games and the AH crash going on right now in Neverwinter is a perfect example of why.  20 bucks a month... sound fair?  Please give me back sub based gaming.

I too would prefer sub based model but in today's mmo market it's all B2P... I don't say F2P because none are honestly free, you eventually pay something.  

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    My only problem is that cash shops dangle the Carrot of P2W to the marketing team. its their job to figure out how to make money. I'm pretty sure everyone has figured out that P2W makes a lot of money, which is sad. As much as people will respond with "but more people will quit because its P2W" The people who quit likely wouldn't have bought anything.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by fumoffu1

they should do box + 5€ sub. why is everyone doing 12€/15$ subs nowadays..

hell i don't want it to be free2play

Even 10$ / month would go a long way to get more subscribers ! They would need to start advertising with some kind of twist about how it's less expensive than others P2P games and, with the humorous atmosphere of the game, they could make it a joke ''Nexus doesn't need your 15$ ! You get remote area tax reductions !'' or something I don't know lol...

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Careful now, you're treading on movie ticket analogy thin ice here.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Cheap people lol...

Could you explain WHY we would be entitled to a game with many content updates on a regular basis with just a box price and nothing else after ?Let's compare here : Do you see many single player games give you DLCs for free ? Do you whine saying ''OMG THEY ARE ASKING ME 10$ FOR THAT SKYRIM DLC (example) ?!?! BUT I ALREADY PAID THE ORIGINAL BOX PRICE DUHHH'' Why do you feel entitled to free content updates because it's an online game ? I don't get people's logic these days...

Because ANet already proved it's not only possible, but viable?  Yeah, you can call me cheap, I prefer to think of it as not paying for something I don't have to.  *shrug*  Guess that makes me "entitled" too.  Keep throwing around insults if it makes you feel big, I just have the opinion that it's about damn time I found a business model I like.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

Cheap people lol...

1) You seem to be under the impression that subscription games provide enough content updates to warrant a subscription fee. Most of them don't. Oh, and your standard bug and balance fix patches don't count - single-player games and non-subscription online games offer them for free, because their developers don't charge you for their screw-ups. 

2) When you buy DLC for a game, you are directly paying for content. On a subscription fee, you are paying them regardless of whether or not they give you any new content that month.

3) You can play a single player game without buying its content updates. You cannot play a subscription MMO without giving them more and more money every month. You literally have no choice but to play or not play.

4) Subscription MMOs charge for expansion packs.  What is an expansion pack? OH, RIGHT. A CONTENT UPDATE. So much for that subscription fee.

5) DLC tends to consist of major changes to the game - that Skyrim DLC offers way more than the content offered by a month of an MMO's content updates. Hell, it probably offers more than several months of MMO content updates.

I'm not cheap. I'm not entitled. I'm just not blind. 

Cheap people lol...

1) You seem to be under the impression that subscription games provide enough content updates to warrant a subscription fee. Most of them don't. Oh, and your standard bug and balance fix patches don't count - single-player games and non-subscription online games offer them for free, because their developers don't charge you for their screw-ups. 

2) When you buy DLC for a game, you are directly paying for content. On a subscription fee, you are paying them regardless of whether or not they give you any new content that month.

3) You can play a single player game without buying its content updates. You cannot play a subscription MMO without giving them more and more money every month. You literally have no choice but to play or not play.

4) Subscription MMOs charge for expansion packs.  What is an expansion pack? OH, RIGHT. A CONTENT UPDATE. So much for that subscription fee.

5) DLC tends to consist of major changes to the game - that Skyrim DLC offers way more than the content offered by a month of an MMO's content updates. Hell, it probably offers more than several months of MMO content updates.

I'm not cheap. I'm not entitled. I'm just not blind. 

1) That's why I hope that Wildstar turns out to be a good MMO with good support and updates, not like most MMOs these days, which like you said, are not worth the sub fee I agree with you on this.

2) A subscription fee is not ONLY for content. You pay for a service : the server itself, the customer support, the content development, etc... With a F2P they are just taking your money from other sources aka the cash shop. It's the exact same thing, but with the F2P model, there's 1 person paying 30$,40$,50$ or even more every month for 10 person freeloading the server...

3) Because a single player game does not cost anything to keep it up after it's release.

4) You certainly didn't read the part where I wrote that I don't want a cost for expansions, just a subscription fee.

5) A lot of DLCs are quite lacking in content and often cost more than a month's sub. Elder scrolls is kind of above average lol.

• DemalisDemalis Member Posts: 134

It is weird that p2p means wow's subrscription model. I prefer Eve's pay monthly and expansions are free.

edit: @zalmon no it isn't it is in a video somewhere.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    Originally posted by Rinna

I don't want Wildstar to be free to play.  I want their business model to be exactly like WoW's.  Barrier to entry, submission based, almost all perks and fun stuff are part of a monthly sub, other non-game breaking, cosmetic fluff in a cash shop.

I hate F2P games and the AH crash going on right now in Neverwinter is a perfect example of why.  20 bucks a month... sound fair?  Please give me back sub based gaming.

Dont worry .. I can guarantee you that WildStar is not going to be f2p.

Its either p2p or maybe b2p.

Quite a bold claim.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

3) Because a single player game does not cost anything to keep it up after it's release.

I'm not certain that is true.  Only in the most simplistic view would this hold.  In actuality companies have costs associated with products long after they release.  Games, multiplayer and single, are no exception.