Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] WildStar: The Summer of WildStar is Upon Us

13»

Comments

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    a Genre changer, Really? Gosh never heard that one before, color me jaded and I'll be happy to be proven wrong but sounds like your just trying to drive up hype.
    I'll not say its a WoW clone but did we really need another WoW cartoony MMO?
    Originally posted by danwest58
    Originally posted by furbans
    I just hope that they don't follow the path of elitist e-peen stoking shittards when it comes to raiding.  Sure you should get rewards, however there should be alternative end-game content with somewhat comparable rewards and not a raid-or-die mentality which was the state of WoW when I left it in Cata.

Its too late they want old school hard WoW style raids.  Thats why they are going to 20 and 40 man raids.   Which will never work in today's MMO world.  

Yep thought i had read a article here about how they planed the game to be raid centric.

I no longer have the time or Desire to spend my time for some 20-40 person raid where one person gets some decent loot drop, or where some goofball decided to wipe the whole thing just for the Leroy Jenkins thrill of it.

Raids to me bring out some of the worst in players, the elitist no lifers, the goofballs that wipe the raid on purpose for laughs (griefers?), and the Ninja looters greed.

Originally posted by Rogosh
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

How is it genre changing exactly?

Reading above and looking at the videos it seems to have the same stuff other MMOs have, albeit presented with a different skin. 

Factions, instanced PvP, Dungeons, Raiding, holy trinity, etc etc.

Nothing in the article convinces me that the game is particularly genre changing.

Warplots for pvp(create your own half of 40 vs 40 pvp map and que up and face others), this will be for pvp what raiding is for pve.

Path system, This is above and beyond their class system( 6 total 4 announced), you get to choose 1 of 4 paths explorer, settler, scientist or soldier. This will tailor your game experience.

Player housing done right.

Did we mention that some of the games in space? Different gravity zones.

Raids that arent the same week to week.

And last but not least true action combat, not the half arsed combat of NW or Tera where you stop every time you do something.

So if these things dont get you excited im Not sure what will.

I personally cant wait to play Terminator01 and kill all the bunnies...mmm bunny!!!

Are they really tailoring player play experience or Limiting it? ie Explorers really  can't fight, settlers really can't explore etc?

"True action combat", or what you really mean bunny hopping is us? All to their own but I'll wait  a little bit longer before i  drink the cool-aid

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by Rogosh

Reading above and looking at the videos it seems to have the same stuff other MMOs have, albeit presented with a different skin. 

Nothing in the article convinces me that the game is particularly genre changing.

Warplots for pvp(create your own half of 40 vs 40 pvp map and que up and face others), this will be for pvp what raiding is for pve.

Path system, This is above and beyond their class system( 6 total 4 announced), you get to choose 1 of 4 paths explorer, settler, scientist or soldier. This will tailor your game experience.

Player housing done right.

Did we mention that some of the games in space? Different gravity zones.

Raids that arent the same week to week.

And last but not least true action combat, not the half arsed combat of NW or Tera where you stop every time you do something.

So if these things dont get you excited im Not sure what will.

I personally cant wait to play Terminator01 and kill all the bunnies...mmm bunny!!!

Are they really tailoring player play experience or Limiting it? ie Explorers really  can't fight, settlers really can't explore etc?

"True action combat", or what you really mean bunny hopping is us? All to their own but I'll wait  a little bit longer before i  drink the cool-aid

no idont  think its that at all.  more like 'soldier' path gets more kill type quests, explorer gets more quests where they have to climb a mountain or to fins a clicky or some such.  i think in one of the older videos they said somthing about an explorer opening up a small are for a quest, then other none explorers could go in as well.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    It looks totally like wow what is a big plus for me. Could be great fun
  • tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    It looks totally like wow what is a big plus for me. Could be great fun

yes, lets just hope it goes better than the Summer of George

• DiathonDiathon Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by danwest58
    I just hope that they don't follow the path of elitist e-peen stoking shittards when it comes to raiding.  Sure you should get rewards, however there should be alternative end-game content with somewhat comparable rewards and not a raid-or-die mentality which was the state of WoW when I left it in Cata.

Its too late they want old school hard WoW style raids.  Thats why they are going to 20 and 40 man raids.   Which will never work in today's MMO world.  

Yep thought i had read a article here about how they planed the game to be raid centric.

I no longer have the time or Desire to spend my time for some 20-40 person raid where one person gets some decent loot drop, or where some goofball decided to wipe the whole thing just for the Leroy Jenkins thrill of it.

Raids to me bring out some of the worst in players, the elitist no lifers, the goofballs that wipe the raid on purpose for laughs (griefers?), and the Ninja looters greed.

Besides the time to gather 20-40 people (since they hopefully won't have LFR) everything you said is just the same as any group content. There will be runs where the entire group might not get an item that is an upgrade. There will be runs where some guy will be a dick and train the entire party for lols. There will be runs where people roll on everything simply because they can.

Only way raids are different is in the number of people you'd be playing with. If you're not in a PuG for a raid then you chose the people you're playing with, and you probably already know their dispositions. If you're in a PuG (I would NEVER PuG a raid) then you're rolling the dice in the hopes that a few of those 20-40 people aren't complete asses.

The things you're saying have nothing to do with Raids, and everything to do with the attitude of the people who play today's F2P MMORPG.

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167

It seems every MMO coming out now gets the tag, "genre changing." Yeah, they may do things a bit different and/or better, but as you say, nothing has actually "changed." It's just a marketing term used to get people excited. With that being said, Wildstar is still my #1 pick for Most Anticipated game...

• shellbelle2shellbelle2 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Originally posted by Holyfleadip

It sounds like they are giving us exploration back (so sick of arrows, highlighted map areas...etc...), but I hope they give us back npc that can kill us.  I'm so sick of going for 60 lvls without dying.  I can put a weight on my arrow key, set my guy marching across the map (if they don't fall off something) and never die while I make a few snacks three rooms away, I'M BORED!  I miss vanilla WOW's rare ELITES.   Current wow's rare's are ..... not worth mention.  

Don't make me lvl at mach 20.  IF they have a lvling system.  I don't want to be in END GAME in 3 days.

I'm beyond words with excitement over their self made PVP map idea.  That has the potential to make a guild work together for a reason besides perks.  I hate 300 player guilds for perks.  10 players know each other.....the rest are filler for numbers.

Please shrink the 40man PVE raids to 30.  I just can't stand all the BIO breaks and (30 minutes or MORE late to raid) players.

The big raids were fun ( ran through MC naked....I was a bit insane), but for all the plus there were some big stressing minus'.  Raid nights brought friends together and made new friends possible, but the STRESS broke many more up.

PLEASE DON'T add changing names on characters or changing servers.  If you destroy your reputation on a server because your a total D###, then live with it or work to create a new character from start.  People that strip guild banks, change name and server and get away..... I'd like some body parts as compensation. 

I like this post..this guy gets it!  Best post on the entire thread....I too am tired of the hand holding...I want to figure it out for myself or  give people a reason to like...i don't know....actually start communicating like humans again.  The funnest times I have ever had were with people I built relationships with in guilds and even outside of guilds.  I don't have many true real life friends that play these types of games so getting back to old school MMOing maybe will give that a chance again.  Make the game hard so people can communicate and work it out and feel like they have actually accomplished something and all the whiners and idiots can go back to playing the other MMO's.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by discord235

It seems every MMO coming out now gets the tag, "genre changing." Yeah, they may do things a bit different and/or better, but as you say, nothing has actually "changed." It's just a marketing term used to get people excited. With that being said, Wildstar is still my #1 pick for Most Anticipated game...

And I'll certainly check it out as I do with all new MMOs (well except defiance, playing the beta was enough for me with that game).

I think my comments were more directed towards the author of the article than the game.  If you are going to make a claim that something is genre changing, provide some examples of how or why it is.  Otherwise you are doing yourself and the game you are talking about a disservice.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

You know what I'd like to see, Public raiding for endgame. :)

I wouldn't mind some open world dungeons or world bosses, but I hope the spawns would be random so that it isn't some zerg fest on a timer like GW2. It would need to be more like the dungeons in Vanguard.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

A lot of the founding staff of Carbine are Vanilla WoW guys. The likeness is not a coincidence. That said, I think they're dong a lot to make a game that has something for everyone.  Crafting, housing, PVP housing, dungeons, raids, world PVP, battlegrounds, exploring, achievements, and on and on. The question is: can it deliver all of this in a polished package? Will it all work? Will raiding be as big of a deal as they expect? I know a lot of ex Raiders, and most of them agree: they don't have time for it anymore.

But that said, I'm really excited to try this out.  I just hope it lives up to the design on paper we've seen so far.

It does seem like WildStar is like a meeting place between Sandbox/SWG fans and Themepark/WOW fans. The game looks like a hybrid but with failed titles its hard to be optimistic.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Guild Wars 2 was a "genre changer"

Good game,no offense and all,but it was mostly hype that inflated it,causing it to burst and go flat like a pancake a month or two after release.

Didnt let the hype get me then and I wont now.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141
    I strongly disagree. The problem that newer mmos have is releasing enough content to keep players busy for the first year. GW2, good for 2 months, (no engame), SWTOR, small man raids can be beat what little endgame they have in a week or so.Even WoW with its 10 mans suffers. Guilds I was in had 2-3 different raiding groups for the same content cause you can only bring 10 people! I dont want to be able to grab a couple friends and beat the biggest baddest raids in a game. I dont want to earn the best gear in a game after just a few weeks. I want it to be hard. I want to feel like I really earned it. Hence 20-40 man raids. I love that FFXIV's raids are 24 man. I love that the director says you have to do a progression of content just to have the gear to be able to challenge it. I love that he says even after you have the appropriate gear, you're gonna wipe 10-20 times before you figure it out cause its so hard. That alone is 3-6 months of endgame. Not to mention that you can level every class and job one that same toon, so no need for damn alts!
  • jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

You know what I'd like to see, Public raiding for endgame. :)

Zerging is not raiding. If it were then Gw2 already has it.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• a1mlessa1mless Member Posts: 4

I fail to see how THIS is action combat.

To me it seems like player character is doing its own animation, jumping, attacking, spinning while NPC does not react to blows and continues its own animation. Where is the action combat in that?

In my world action combat is when the world around you, and yourself are all reacting to each others actions. When NPC"s and players had a solid unpassable model that can be pushed, knocked down, thrown and so on. This video is nothing of that sort.

From pure graphics point of view its Torchlight 2 skin for WoW. 

P.S. I never read reviews on MMORPG coz they are all hyped without proper facts. I always scroll down to comments.

• jtravisjtravis Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I'd really love to give Wildstar  a try, but unless they buy themselves out from under NCSoft's thumb, I won't be able to do it. Broken trust is broken, and NCS is never getting it back.
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

this sounds like the game i was suggesting would come along after guild wars 2. Something that marries themepark and sandbox in a fun way without going overboard to either camp. I like the idea of player made dungeons. 

The only thing i worry about with this game is is it a subscription or not. The game has me hooked either way, just as GW2 did, but i worry about the success of any sub game in this environment. I also worry about the use of ccash shops.  Will it be time enhancements or will it be you can't do dungeon x until you have this many things from the cash shop