Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wasted $40 : Don't bother with this game

I'm sure there will be many fans defending DF, but I am just going to objectively explain why a lot of people shouldn't waste their money on this game.

I was sold on a game of open world PVP. Death mattered and politics played a hand in everything. Build and harvest, wooh.

The last 2 days have been login issues and server attacks, as well as mob and resource spawn glitches.

What does that translate into?

a bunch of people telling me "Oh its just...insert excuse here".

yes I understand MMOs have issues. But understand when I spend my whole weekend attempting to play a game that got me excited for world PVP....that let me mine a few rocks, chop a few trees, but mostly run around a river attempting to find fish that never came or other resources. Long walks with no player interaction but the mundane global chat of gold spam, pk trash talk, and people complaining about or zealously defending AV/Darkfall 2.

The real fact of the matter is : I spent a whole weekend attempting to play a game for the excitement of world PVP and my dreams were slaughtered by technical issues.

Yes, Neverwinter is Linear, but the combat is really fun.

Yes, WoW is boring and campy/themepark, but at least its a well tuned machine,

Yes, age of wushuu has a cash shop that lets you level faster, but at least it has some structure to produce world pvp past roaming hears of people (spy missions, etc...)

What does darkfall offer? A still clunky somewhat updated version of the dead game it was before?

It says it offers a lot. It just can't seem to follow up.

Another disappointment in the search for great PVP.

Just so the fanboys know : This is more of an explanation as to why many players will not put up with the barriers to entry of the PVP system that they crave. Yes I know all of the neat features DFUW promises to offer. I just can't see myself mustering up the patience to get through this game in its current state.

Pardon my low tolerance for stupidity.

Comments

• NineFuriesNineFuries Member Posts: 33

Totally agreed.  With what we have to choose from,  Age of Wushu is a much more fun and rewarding game that has many sandbox elements which are fun, fresh and engaging.  Even though snailgames is horribad and alot of the cash shop stuff is total crap.

If your going to spend money I would go with AoW hands down,  

How anyone new to DF could consider what they call a game "fun" in any way blows my mind.  It goes like this...wack a tree, wack a rock, watch a cast bar....get stronger for pvp!  Makes sense right?  Oh and all this wacking and watching time elapse doesnt look cool or varied at all.  Its the same stiff animation OVER and OVER.  Then you finally get strong enough to do pvp and its so underwhelming I'd rather watch paint dry.

This is all considering you can even play the game without suffering the technical issues which are extraordinarily abundant.

All for 40$ and a recurring 15$ monthly fee which takes a good deal of navigating to cancel.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

the thingwith darkfall is

Darkfall online was an epic player skilled mmo.. myself have played it for 4 years none stop..

Ive played alot of mmo almost everthing on the market.. and nothing is compared with the combat that 1.0 darkfall online gave us..

Av managed to fck this up by taking way the best parts of the game which was the combat... in the past we loyal fans manage to lay aside all the differences and problems with the company..

For new players i can inmage that when buying a game like unholy wars you wanne have a actual game that works..

I mean 50 dollars inc sub is alot of money..

TBH: visual you worst experiences with a game company and then multiply that with 100.. then your on av's level..

You need to do couple of things in order to play this game:

- forget about the forums of darkfall

- join a friendly clan

- dont let yourself suck into the trolls

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/darkfall-10-server/

and vote :P so we can have our game back :P

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I was looking for something different to play and did check Darkfall out but there is just so much negativity surrounding the game I was put off before I made any sort of commitment. Decided to give EvE a try and I'm having a blast, it only cost £6.99 to upgrade my trial account so the start up cost is much lower than Darkfall and it's a fully polished game. 
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Its a great game and im having a blast. There isnt another game like it. Im so fed up with the same old themepark shit, darkfall has been amazing and im a complete noob to the game.

Yes its made by a small company and there will be proplems but they will fix them. I havnt had any problems with servers or pings.

For the poster above me, dont listen to what people say on forums half of them have probs never played the game. Just try it for yourself.
  • PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    I'm so lucky i only lost 15euro :P
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

There need to be some sort of alignment system that prevent wannabe PK:s ganking new players as soon as they leave safe zones.

Without it there will a to high hill to climb for the new players.

UO got it right with their statloss that prevented the poorly skilled wanabe PK:s to go down that route, only the skilled ones managed the life of a PK.

That created a world with fewer but more skilled PK:s. And more breathing room for the new players.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

I hear it a lot  on these forums "neverwinter combat is fun",fun my ass,it is choppy and crapp,the game has to pause for half a second after every attack that's how crap it is.

DFUW is at least 134 times better than neverwinter.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Also i played dozens of games with amazing combat and much better then DF:UW all of them multiplayers and as  FPS.

Gentleman that's the whole point. A MMORPG can't specialize  in something that it can't never  compete with..Arcade games and FPS games thats the games the target personal twitch skill..

MMORPG's target entirely different qualities. Player interactions with environment  and other players for example, it can include combat and PvP but combat and PvP is a subset of possible interaction in a true MMORPG.

Jeez.... when will this wannabe MMORPG generation understand real MMORPG's...

AV failed the exact moment they put up a arena game for combat only...and left the MMORPG genre for it...

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• Originally posted by Zadawn

I hear it a lot  on these forums "neverwinter combat is fun",fun my ass,it is choppy and crapp,the game has to pause for half a second after every attack that's how crap it is.

Seems to me that your PC isn't up to the task of a modern game. But can handle the seriously dated 8 year old engine tech that DFUW uses. Glad you found something that your PC can handle. But your experience with NW is definitely not the same for all others. My 3 year old i7 with an ati 5870 handles NW at max settings 1920x1080 with ease.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I play DFUW and I agree with the OP that the login problems are a real pain. 

Personally, I can't believe that AV made the world smaller. This is obviously to force PvP onto people (there is nowhere to hide). This limits 'lifestyle choice' within the game.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Snoepie

Darkfall online was an epic player skilled mmo.. myself have played it for 4 years none stop..

Ive played alot of mmo almost everthing on the market.. and nothing is compared with the combat that 1.0 darkfall online gave us..

Av managed to fck this up by taking way the best parts of the game which was the combat... in the past we loyal fans manage to lay aside all the differences and problems with the company..

For new players i can inmage that when buying a game like unholy wars you wanne have a actual game that works..

TBH: visual you worst experiences with a game company and then multiply that with 100.. then your on av's level..

- join a friendly clan

There is no player skill involved in hitting a button over and over to get a skill to 100, then going out to pvp with two mouse clicks... just saying...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    It might not be worth 40 bucks in it's current state. But I'm guessing it won't be long before they either lower the price for it, or have it go f2p. When they do lower it, or have it f2p I would recomend any1 to test it. At least by then they should have fixed most of the nasty performance issues that they have now.
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by Deznts
    Originally posted by Zadawn

Seems to me that your PC isn't up to the task of a modern game. But can handle the seriously dated 8 year old engine tech that DFUW uses. Glad you found something that your PC can handle. But your experience with NW is definitely not the same for all others. My 3 year old i7 with an ati 5870 handles NW at max settings 1920x1080 with ease.

Actually no,i run neverwinter maxed out  easily.You are either too old or too dumb to notice how  after every attack there's a slight pause ,that is choppy,it sucks and is not fluent at all,the game sucks overall.

Originally posted by Betaguy

- join a friendly clan

There is no player skill involved in hitting a button over and over to get a skill to 100, then going out to pvp with two mouse clicks... just saying...

im not even sure what you mean by this lol...

Define player skill pls

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Also i played dozens of games with amazing combat and much better then DF:UW all of them multiplayers and as  FPS.

Gentleman that's the whole point. A MMORPG can't specialize  in something that it can't never  compete with..Arcade games and FPS games thats the games the target personal twitch skill..

MMORPG's target entirely different qualities. Player interactions with environment  and other players for example, it can include combat and PvP but combat and PvP is a subset of possible interaction in a true MMORPG.

AV failed the exact moment they put up a arena game for combat only...and left the MMORPG genre for it...

can you name them?

Im intrested so i can play this lol

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

can you name them?

Im intrested so i can play this lol

DFO for example..

Don't give any money to AV and boycott them till they implement back alignment system, racial warfare, racial perks and bonus, add the land and water masses back but add more landmass and islands, make all items craftable, implement  DF2010 including to revert  the fail concept of DF:UW classes as DF21010 prestige class system and armor spec system. Restore chaos cities..etc..etc , make crafting more complex and rewarding ..(the was a list of suggestions which AV ingonres) But also ..

Implement the game how it was supposed to be, a true sandbox game like was promised for a decade..and not a combat arena themepark..

Me and many like me want the feature list that was promised for original Darkfall and not how it is now implemented..thats why we will never be satisfied before a true sandbox with as many of them are available...

That's why u see many suggestion on what to wait for ..because DF:UW is miss in this regard..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• Ryguy786Ryguy786 Member Posts: 29

You know, I tried Darkfall this evening again. To give it more of a chance.

Even a friendly player showed me the ropes. Lots in the community seem desperate to help new players to retain some sort of player base.

I don't know whats wrong with my computer for some games. It seems every 5 seconds or so I get small framerate spikes. From 45-50 to like 15-25. Sometimes that really breaks FPS games like darkfall for me....

I have a radeon 6800,  Phenom x6 1075t, and 8gb of ram and lots of games stutter a bit for me....

but besides that....even if the game ran super perfect...it's not exactly the pinnacle of skill. I'm now convinced DF players are just retarded when it comes to the idea of skill in PVP. When your game is so poorly animated that the combat actions and the hit boxes are not even remotely real, how can we take combat seriously?

I love the idea of darkfall.

But I log on darkfall, and spend 3 hours slashing randomly over crappy mobs and skinning them, then crafting to make myself stronger for PVP. Apparently I have weeks of doing this to go.

Then I log into Neverwinter and have this really fun combat system that flows together and dungeons with events and quests, etc....

and then DF players go "oh fine, go player your themepark bs"

Yes, I wish to god other games incorporated gathering, building, player housing, and clan/open world pvp.

But that's what DF aspires to be. What it turns out to be is AFK crafting watching netflix hoping to get strong enough one day to deal with a pretty crummy combat system against mostly clans of gankers much stronger than you.

Would I love a world where Clans held castles and community regulated itself? Yes

But I'd also love that world to have something somewhat interesting to do. Seriously. I can only crappily slash so many skeletons before I get pissed off that I actually paid money for this game.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

Outside of those DDoS attacks this weekend, I haven't had login issues at all lately.

I'm satisfied with the rate at which they fix things. Could be better but it is an indie company after all.

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151
    Well if there are some who are willing to defend then clearly the game don't stink to everyone so it would be unfair to say don't spend $40 when they might like it. Just because you dont like it does not mean that falls true to everyone. I like meatloaf but bob does not so if bob tells sally dont eat it because he don't like it what if she does end up liking it. We cant learn unless we try.

Originally posted by sexypanda198
    Well if there are some who are willing to defend then clearly the game don't stink to everyone so it would be unfair to say don't spend $40 when they might like it. Just because you dont like it does not mean that falls true to everyone. I like meatloaf but bob does not so if bob tells sally dont eat it because he don't like it what if she does end up liking it. We cant learn unless we try.

Yes, exactly, you can't learn unless you try.

So for those who are unable to try because there is no trial (AKA AV does not have faith in their game...), then I am letting them know not to waste their money.

See, most people are waiting to hear about this game - because there is no trial....and paying for a game that "might" suck is hard.

So, like I said, if you want what I have described....then you will be disappointed.

If you want to craft your way to some pvp stats to then clunk through the combat,

then be my guest....

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Yeah a lot of people will find out they actually don't want a game different from the clones.  Its a difficult realization.

Game isn't easy to pick up off the bat and no matter how good you were in pvp in other games you typically walk into DF and suck at pvp without a lot of know how and practice.

Certainly not a game for people who want things handed to them and super easy/predictable.

Good luck in your next game.  DF always has and always will be littered with the corpses of players who couldn't hack it!

• BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Originally posted by Ryguy786

So for those who are unable to try because there is no trial (AKA AV does not have faith in their game...), then I am letting them know not to waste their money.

See, most people are waiting to hear about this game - because there is no trial....and paying for a game that "might" suck is hard.

So, like I said, if you want what I have described....then you will be disappointed.

If you want to craft your way to some pvp stats to then clunk through the combat,

then be my guest....

What do you base that opinion on?   What new release gives out free trials in the first two months when they are pay to play or buy to play?  Ohh and before you talk about it not being a new game, I've actually played both and I really like UW personally.  They have put ALOT of work into it and its much more polished and very different from the original.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

then be my guest....

Regarding this and your previous post....

You can be PvP viable in less than a week, and you dont need to craft your way there. Took me about a week to get around 30k with very little crafting aside from skinning stuff I was killing and making just enough gear to get me by. 30k is enough to be at or very close to your main stat for your role, which is the most important thing by far, and have some left over to spend on some secondary stats & skill levels.

Im at 64k prowess now, Skirmisher (Deadeye Primary) with 140 dex, 75 wis, 70 str, all Deadeye skills maxed, archery & archery mastery maxed, 1h axes & greatswords near max, heal self and all transfers at about 75. The majority of my Prowess has come from doing feats, not crafting my way there. I dont even have any crafting masteries. I would actually likely be more like 90k-100k prowess at this point but Ive also spent a ton of time screwing around exploring, hunting chaos chests, running treasure maps, etc.

For those who dont want to risk getting jumped by high prowess players before youre PvP ready, you can easily obtain around 20k within the safezones in about 4-5 days with a pretty minimal amount of crafting just from doing the correct feats. Along with all of the normal feats, you can do 3 tiers of the hidden feats in the SZ, technically 4 if youre a pretty good shot with a bow (farm Ogre Bullies on north end of Dwarf lands with a bow from the edge of the SZ).

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

then be my guest....

Regarding this and your previous post....

You can be PvP viable in less than a week, and you dont need to craft your way there. Took me about a week to get around 30k with very little crafting aside from skinning stuff I was killing and making just enough gear to get me by. 30k is enough to be at or very close to your main stat for your role, which is the most important thing by far, and have some left over to spend on some secondary stats & skill levels.

Im at 64k prowess now, Skirmisher (Deadeye Primary) with 140 dex, 75 wis, 70 str, all Deadeye skills maxed, archery & archery mastery maxed, 1h axes & greatswords near max, heal self and all transfers at about 75. The majority of my Prowess has come from doing feats, not crafting my way there. I dont even have any crafting masteries. I would actually likely be more like 90k-100k prowess at this point but Ive also spent a ton of time screwing around exploring, hunting chaos chests, running treasure maps, etc.

For those who dont want to risk getting jumped by high prowess players before youre PvP ready, you can easily obtain around 20k within the safezones in about 4-5 days with a pretty minimal amount of crafting just from doing the correct feats. Along with all of the normal feats, you can do 3 tiers of the hidden feats in the SZ, technically 4 if youre a pretty good shot with a bow (farm Ogre Bullies on north end of Dwarf lands with a bow from the edge of the SZ).

It's futile bro, these kids come on to this board and lecture us on why we shouldn't like a game.. Even worse, most of their information is second hand from either people's forum posts, or videos on youtube.  I really doubt anyone that bashes the game has reached even 10k prowess, which can be done without even leaving the sz. 

Yes, you can be viable to compete in a week of fairly hardcore grinding.

But the combat sucks , the infrastructure sucks, the community sucks, and the clunky game and poor optimization just makes it worse.

Yes dream of epic self governed pvp.
    Be welcomed into the boring subpar actual gameplay that exists.

So many sandboxera justify unfinished or lack of content as "make your own fun attitudes". That's great when the presentation and interaction is available, but this is just gross.

It's a great example of a sandbox not having any good features to keep anyone around long enough to explore the deeper player interactions that may or may not turn out to be what we want.
    If you think I'm lying, see the # of subs and resubs. I'm just translating for the market