Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Rift: Loving Rift's Shift

13»

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Once a game goes F2P, it is dead to me.
  • Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by veralance
    IF you guys want to see real P2W games, take a look at any game by Perfect World, where you can spend absurd amounts of money to buy the top tier gear, and upgrade it to max level.  In fact, in its flagship game, the only way to get the rank 9 gear, is to either buy it yourself, or buy it from others, as there is no way to get it by actually playing the game.  And its not just 1-2 things you need to get, its about 5.  Honestly, you guys wanna QQ about entry level gear, then by all means dont buy it, or dont play, but it is far from being a p2w game...

Agreed^^

Seems many have lost the meaning of ptw.There are far worse game's out there that are ptw,this isn't one of them.If you can acquire better gear in the game,how is it ptw?To me this is like buying green/blue (non heroic) gear in WoW,when purple (epic) is available in game.The best is obtainable in the game and not store bought.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    This game should be called raid not rift.

Why? Raiding isn't the only thing to do

Rift

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

Superb job by TRION. Really superb.

I can play the whole content of the game. can go as many times as i want to dungeons, raids, slivers, rifts, warfronts etc. can loot and wear all the available gear game has to offer. can use all the game features and yes dear swtor even contact to a gm as free user. to summarize this is imo really free

as it concerns the gear at cash shop, i can easily stand to sell what ever, if the latest tiers and end game gear in general, is obtained only in game. and TRION do this.

so thx once again TRION for letting me play in such a fine way one of the greatest mmo's in the market. this is beyond what  i could imagine tbh

btw ppl are coming back every day, even before its free. raptr offer was too good. i wonder what will happen at 12-6.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Lets face the truth hear, was it a money decision that drove you from rift or was it something else.  In my case something else.  So going free to play does not change that.   Let face another truth, how many games have you had a sub too that went free to play that you have went back and played?   For me this would be tsw, sto, vangaurd, dcuo, lotro; all of those have went free to play and I have yet to go back and the answer was it was not the money it was what was the game and the decisions being made.  The same will be with rfit, so not interested in going back.  

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Well time will tell if the pull of greed ruins Rift, usually you'll see the trend coming very quickly as the pull of money overshadows and thoughts of propriety. 
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Our server in wow was dying out pretty bad and it would of cost us over 150$ to transfer our 90s to another high population realm . The day a few of us were debating this Rift announced their free to play system and when it starts. Needless to say we all canceled our WOW accounts and resubbed to Rift. I hope others stop giving the greedy morons at blizzard money and do the same exact thing because at least Trion doesn't charge you an arm and a leg to transfer because of declining player population and nickel and dimes its player base like blizzard when it comes to services that are near instant. I hope wow continues to decline and games like this that do free to play right keep growing and push them entirely out of their subscribers. Its time blizzard learned to stop treating their player base like do-do with other good games like Rift out there and others.

lol.... not even guild hopping but game hopping.

see that's the difference. you guys are owen shaw's crew.

my guild is dom's crew :)

that's the real prob mmos have nowadays. not enough of us around, too many of you guys.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

"Cosmetics and fluff items such as pets and mounts, will probably make up most of the store."

If so it will be the first cash shop I have ever seen that does not have gameplay altering items from the outset. Some travel boosts, magic and health potions and the like are the norm. Then as the months pass you get the in shop gear, or gear that has in shop boosts. Or maybe it will be in shop parts to craft the best items. You get the idea.

Originally posted by erictlewis

Lets face the truth hear, was it a money decision that drove you from rift or was it something else.  In my case something else.  So going free to play does not change that.   Let face another truth, how many games have you had a sub too that went free to play that you have went back and played?   For me this would be tsw, sto, vangaurd, dcuo, lotro; all of those have went free to play and I have yet to go back and the answer was it was not the money it was what was the game and the decisions being made.  The same will be with rfit, so not interested in going back.  

lets face the truth indeed. most ppl are tempted by a free game. thats for sure. RIFT is a fine game and thats also true. either its of my taste or not, RIFT is one of the very good mmo's in the market. now combine that with f2p option and you will see many ppl  will play it, either as new players or old subscribers coming back. i m one of them btw.

you have to consider also the f2p model. tsw is not f2p, is b2p. gw2 is b2p too. nwo...no comment at all. swtor is not f2p at all. its free to login only. RIFT's f2p is the best in the market imo (with TERA's model too).

i can also add that a big factor to play or not is my friends and my guild mates. they have all welcomed RIFT as f2p and we already having fun in TELARA. we are mostly former wow, swtor and gw2 players.

last but not least about RIFT is that, this is a game that is highly depended by the amount of ppl playing. an empty server in wow or in swtor for example may be acceptable, but not in RIFT. this was a major reason for many to stop subbing, including me. now that the population has already risen you can taste a different RIFT. you can see its possibilities and once again i can say as a returning player, that is a HELL of a good game.

hoping for even better days after 12-06 that f2p starts officially

ty :)

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59

"Cosmetics and fluff items such as pets and mounts, will probably make up most of the store."

......As well as elite armor......

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Looks like 'P2W' to me. Pass.

PlanetSide2 is one of the few 'F2P' games that seems to do it right, as I managed to play it as a leeching non payer for several months while staying fully competitive and never feeling like I lost to someone with a larger credit card budget. Name another "free to play" game that does that and I'd be surprised.

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

P2P meaning nothing to me.  Finding an involving and compelling MMO is worth $15.00 a month compared to other ways I could find a way to spend that in a month.  Rift is certainly an innovative MMO.  I bought Storm Legion based on the "larger world than the original release" feature.  I tried it.  Played it.  Traveled around the new continent.   But overtime the repetitive mechanics of Rift did me in again.  Going F2P doesn't change the depth of the game for me.

I think Trion had higher hopes for Storm Legion and now they go F2P.  I am sure that if they could stay with P2P mode with enough revenue they would.  For those of you that enjoy Rift now it's an even greater value.  But the value doesn't sell an MMO for me.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Shame really , but any tier gear sold in a cash shop is P2W in my eyes. Mind you I'm not into fantasy MMO's atm , might get EqNext or ESO just to try for old times sake. SWTOR's cash shop model doesn't seem to bad now then really , at least we have to earn our gear. ignoring the colour crystals and ship parts :P They have recently admitted that the ship parts was a bad mistake and have learnt from it.

Seems some people are upset at their present fantasy MMO so if rift seems cheaper / better then go for it :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Oh look, it's the umpteenth WoW clone going F2P and you guys still find a way to sugar coat the news. Trion love is strong on this site.
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat
    Oh look, it's the umpteenth WoW clone going F2P and you guys still find a way to sugar coat the news. Trion love is strong on this site.

If I had to chose between the two it would be an easy choice.   MMORPG knows the industry enough that the Rift franchise is a little more than an "umpteenth" Johnny come lately.  

But you're right:  we need more love for an 8 year old MMO and its Mine craft like realism.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    Im seeing anothe  swtor "free" model
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    So from "We are not in Azeroth anymore" to "Can we have some low rent space in Azeroth please?"
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat

That's the only thing Trion was ever good at: PR speak and making people think that everything they do is innovative and just so awesome. Oh, and then their usual  "everyone at Trion is just so excited to introduce..." and "we can't wait until..." blabla. I bet the people who were let go in the two rounds of lay offs were also "so excited" and "couldnt wait to..."

I never again trusted them when the shutdown of servers was sold as "we aren't shutting down servers, we are opening trial servers".

Their PR was always among the most untruthful and manipulative in the business. Heck, even Funcom was more honest at times.

Everyone who did not fall into their PR trap saw all this coming once Hartsman left the literally sinking ship.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by SoulStain
    I once bought stuff in an MMO cash shop and won the game. Understand? I WON the WHOLE thing. I beat everyone. They had to shut the MMO down.

Wow, I guess those guys who are always screaming about P2W were right the whole time!  Who knew?

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

Originally posted by Zefire
    Im seeing anothe  swtor "free" model

you are kidding right?

swtor is free to login, not free to play. you have to pay for everything. you cant even wear epic gear you already looted, if you are not a subscriber. you can enter 5 bg's and 3 dungeons per week. raids?i think none per week. cant even make a ticket or talk to a gm. you dont even have all the bars from the ui and many more ridiculous  restrictions. so this is not f2p at all.

rift gives you all the content for free. you can loot and wear everything. go as many times as you want to dungeons/raids/slivers/bg's/rifts etc. can chat to every channel. create and join guilds. contact gm's and post tickets.full ui, bars and all the in game tools like lfg etc. the only restrictions for free users is that you have 2 char slot instead of 6 and 3 bag slots instead of 5. plus one out of nine souls that comes with the expansion. so yes, this is a real f2p model. thats for free users.

former subscribers have none restriction, except if they don't have the expansion, when they only miss the one soul of the expansion.

imo its one of the best mmo's in the market, combined with one of the best f2p models. top choice

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Any Free to Play model that is great for free players is terrible for paying players and the company.

Any Free to Play model that is great for paying players is terrible for free players and average for the company.

Any Free to Play model that is great for the company is terrible for free players and average for paying players.

This is how it works, decide where Rift falls in your opinion and you'll see who will benefit and who won't.

Originally posted by bobfish

Any Free to Play model that is great for free players is terrible for paying players and the company.

Any Free to Play model that is great for paying players is terrible for free players and average for the company.

Any Free to Play model that is great for the company is terrible for free players and average for paying players.

This is how it works, decide where Rift falls in your opinion and you'll see who will benefit and who won't.

The answer is quite simple.

RIFT had few remaining paying players. That was bad, both for paying players and company.

So company had only 2 choices. Close the game or implement a f2p model.

Closing the game would be negative for both the company and paying players again.

Implementing a f2p model would be something that in the long term would show if this was the right decision. A risk but a hope also for something better and bigger. So they did it and now both paying players and the company awaits for the results.

The only certain right now, with the model they say they will implement at 12-06, is that  lots of free users will enjoy the game :)

• DralonDralon Member Posts: 38
    F2P definately brought me back, as it was a game I always enjoyed, but had to prune some subscriptions.  Am greatly enjoying my return so far!