Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: Trion Rocked by Layoffs

1235»

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Guys this and f2p for rift is not a coincidence.

For many, the sand is tempting to the head ;)

It sucks what's happening to Trion and it sucks for the people that are enjoying their games, but it should be pretty clear what's going on at the moment.

The devs have said Rift f2p was planned before SL release.  The Rift f2p is unrelated.

The company obviously has its issues, this is what happens when a new company over extends itself.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Anet never did any layoffs??? You should at least do some research before assuming something that you "think" you know. Just because some layoffs are more public than others it doesn't make them larger. You think construction workers are kept around the building they built and used as maintenance? This is common work procedure... You pay for something, you get the product.

Everyone that was used to make a game doesn't need to be kept around. 

Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by DMKano
    It is business as usual given the circumstances in my post above. Stop and think about it for a second, makes perfect sense. Defiance launch was pretty unique and unlike other titles.

You know what else makes sense?  How every single MMORPG layoff announcement that I have ever seen has come at a time where either a company or a title is performing poorly.  And Defiance definitely was a poorly received game and Trion has had issues with the EoN debacle and declining Rift subs (this isnt their first series of layoffs).  But hey, if you want to ignore the obvious reasons and stick to the one you desperately want it to be, go ahead.  Nearly all layoff announcements coincide with poor performance.  However there are quite a few layoff announcements that arent within 3 months after a release (see Mythic 2007, Blizzard 2012, most SoE layoffs, etc)

Do you hear of layoffs from the smaller, less known, developers? No, you really don't cause there's not enough people to care... There's no "story". If the same thing happens to the bigger names it becomes public rather quick regardless of the severity of the layoffs. Your point would be valid if your points weren't so baseless. Show me the data proving your points and I'll retract my argument. This is just your typical hollywood-type drama.

SOE did a pretty massive layoff a while back and it wasn't due to any type of struggling... Are they hurting? I highly doubt it... they're making a killing off of Planetside 2 right now and soon EQ3. 

Originally posted by tkoreaper

Anet never did any layoffs??? You should at least do some research before assuming something that you "think" you know. Just because some layoffs are more public than others it doesn't make them larger. You think construction workers are kept around the building they built and used as maintenance? This is common work procedure... You pay for something, you get the product.

Someone who is hired to do a specific task (construction worker) that finishes his task and moves on is not laid off.

When you see news about layoffs they are *not* talking about temps or contract workers or any of that.  Not sure why this is so difficult for people to understand.

It is business as usual given the circumstances in my post above. Stop and think about it for a second, makes perfect sense. Defiance launch was pretty unique and unlike other titles.

You know what else makes sense?  How every single MMORPG layoff announcement that I have ever seen has come at a time where either a company or a title is performing poorly.  And Defiance definitely was a poorly received game and Trion has had issues with the EoN debacle and declining Rift subs (this isnt their first series of layoffs).  But hey, if you want to ignore the obvious reasons and stick to the one you desperately want it to be, go ahead.  Nearly all layoff announcements coincide with poor performance.  However there are quite a few layoff announcements that arent within 3 months after a release (see Mythic 2007, Blizzard 2012, most SoE layoffs, etc)

Do you hear of layoffs from the smaller, less known, developers? No, you really don't cause there's not enough people to care... There's no "story". If the same thing happens to the bigger names it becomes public rather quick regardless of the severity of the layoffs. Your point would be valid if your points weren't so baseless. Show me the data proving your points and I'll retract my argument. This is just your typical hollywood-type drama.

SOE did a pretty massive layoff a while back and it wasn't due to any type of struggling... Are they hurting? I highly doubt it... they're making a killing off of Planetside 2 right now and soon EQ3. 

The games I listed are all from the major players in the industry.  Especially Blizzard.  And asking me to prove something like WoW never having post release layoffs is kind of moronic, because of course I can't prove it, people dont write articles "3 months after MoP and still no layoffs!"  however, since as people claim every game does layoffs after releases and Blizzard is scrutinized heavily it should be rather easy to disprove me if I were wrong.  

And SoE is an obvious example of a poorly performing company having layoffs.  In 2011, after their most expensive game ever (DCUO) was a giant flop they laid off 205 employees across three different studios, and cancelled a game that was far along in development.  Look at whats happened since 2004:  EQ2, nowhere near as successful as expected.  EQ1 subs plummet.  SWG gets NGE'd and subs drop from 250k to 50k basically overnight.  They spend 2 years and millions and millions of dollars fixing vg but no one comes back to play it.  DCUO is an epic flop.  SWG closes down.  Now the eq2 and dcuo f2ps have done well for them lately, but SoE hasnt had a hit since 2004 and its been a long steady stream of disappointments.  Oh, and the parent company has been sucking too.

The games I listed are all from the major players in the industry.  Especially Blizzard.  And asking me to prove something like WoW never having post release layoffs is kind of moronic, because of course I can't prove it, people dont write articles "3 months after MoP and still no layoffs!"  however, since as people claim every game does layoffs after releases and Blizzard is scrutinized heavily it should be rather easy to disprove me if I were wrong.  

And SoE is an obvious example of a poorly performing company having layoffs.  In 2011, after their most expensive game ever (DCUO) was a giant flop they laid off 205 employees across three different studios, and cancelled a game that was far along in development.  Look at whats happened since 2004:  EQ2, nowhere near as successful as expected.  EQ1 subs plummet.  SWG gets NGE'd and subs drop from 250k to 50k basically overnight.  They spend 2 years and millions and millions of dollars fixing vg but no one comes back to play it.  DCUO is an epic flop.  SWG closes down.  Now the eq2 and dcuo f2ps have done well for them lately, but SoE hasnt had a hit since 2004 and its been a long steady stream of disappointments.  Oh, and the parent company has been sucking too.

The points I wanted you to prove was how "poorly" these companies/games are doing. You are going off nothing more than pure speculation. SOE has made mistakes, which the CEO has admitted to, but what company never does? The way they've been going lately shows them heading in a completely different direction which I guess is why you didn't mention PS2.

Someone who is hired to do a specific task (construction worker) that finishes his task and moves on is not laid off.

When you see news about layoffs they are *not* talking about temps or contract workers or any of that.  Not sure why this is so difficult for people to understand.

If the company has no place for them they WILL lay off... Just as I was in 2008 as a CONSTRUCTION WORKER. We finished a project and they had no other, or new, project to send us to and I had been with them for over 5 years on multiple projects in different locations... But this is beside the point.

The points I wanted you to prove was how "poorly" these companies/games are doing. You are going off nothing more than pure speculation. SOE has made mistakes, which the CEO has admitted to, but what company never does? The way they've been going lately shows them heading in a completely different direction which I guess is why you didn't mention PS2.

The last SoE layoffs were 2011, PS2 was released in 2012.  There havent been large scale layoffs since its release

As for company poor performance, yes in many cases its speculation.  In the Rift layoffs though, we do know that Trion had to buyout EoN a week or two before the Rift layoffs, and we know that the what was once 60 NA servers had become 8.  We know SWTOR did not meet expectations and was bleeding subs fast.  DCUO is widely regarded as a failure.  Oh and the one time Blizzard did layoff WoW related people (its support staff) was a year after Cataclysm's launch and we know they lost over 1 million subs that year.  (And with 1 million less subs they wouldnt need as many support staff anyway)

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    This does not bode well for Trion as a company.  The F2P shift and then this round of layoffs is a PR disaster.  Trion may have two games on the "Worst of" list next week.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Guys this and f2p for rift is not a coincidence.

For many, the sand is tempting to the head ;)

It sucks what's happening to Trion and it sucks for the people that are enjoying their games, but it should be pretty clear what's going on at the moment.

The devs have said Rift f2p was planned before SL release.  The Rift f2p is unrelated.

The company obviously has its issues, this is what happens when a new company over extends itself.

They are related to the performance of the company not to itself.