Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best MMOs of 2013... So Far

Comments

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198

Have to agree with SWTOR part. They do improve it.

I think this list is correct.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Skuall
    Originally posted by BadSpock

MMORPG.com should just stop doing lists like this.

They are always wrong.

Or right.

Or just off.

Or just on.

But man do they generate a lot of posts...

and thats why they do it.....

doing a list of best of 2013 in may? come on lol

^ Sure does get the fanboys worked up, don't it?

• GwynbleiddGwynbleidd Member UncommonPosts: 9

Not to be picky but GW2 was the most terrible MMO came out ever. There's not enough incentive to keep you interested in login back after a few days of playing. The combat system is not ok even though I like action RPG style of gameplay, yet it failed miserably in that department. 

They took away the fun in class-based RPG with turning every class into a DPS class. Leaving those who enjoy playing a healer class out of the game. And they completely destroyed the meaning of having an end-game. So you level a class to 80 by taking part in events and when you get to max level, nothing changes. 

So far I'm enjoying the heck out of Neverwinter it's brilliant and they succeed in bringing a top notch MMO-ARPG that I'd want to play and it is more rewarding than GW2. 

And Age of Wushu is just a laugh. 

SWTOR is an awesome game, it truly is and they revolutionized the storytelling mechanics of MMORPGs. I truly loved the experience, the thing is you don't have enough content when you get to end-game - or rather was since I haven't check back since the launch of the expansion, so I have no idea how are they planing to address that, for a game that plays a lot like WoW the logical course is releasing content patch every few months to keep people interested.

TSW is quite great, EVE is awesome and I don't care much for the rest.  

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Reading a list of Mmo's for 'Best of 2013' Interesting...

Reading all the posts of raging fans concerning where they believe their game should be....priceless.

Can't wait for the 'Worst of 2013' list.  Should be even better.

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214

Well thats your opinion and you are entitled to it no matter how bad your opinion is.

1st. Theres all knind of MMO's out there but only few arew orth the subscriptions of players and the population of those  should tell u who is #1 WOW

now all the others r secondary but I would put EVE before the rest even though I dont care for gankers this one is indeed for the mature player by far best game play out there the best lookin game out there a massive world all put together on 1 server what other company has accomplished so much!

I agree with those that say Rift is better than SWTOR  in fact SWTOR isnt in a top 20 list for me

Funcom no thanks what more does 1 need to say about them.

all the rest to me is just another piece of meat thrown out there to haggle over nothing really worth the time of day

• uhm none of these games, it's a poor year, i'm looking to eso maybe that will be "the answer"
  • CrimsonFalkonCrimsonFalkon Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Man, if you guys like arguing about this one... I can't wait to see your reaction to next week's "Worst of 2013... So Far" list.

I already have my popcorn for the show! When I want information I come to this site, but when I want entertained by the masses....I come to this site!!

The hysterical and very entertaining comments to these types of opinionated yet insightful articles should require a cover charge to read!

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Did you even play these games your writing down 

William Murphy?

I dont see how you could of if this is the list you came up with. The secret world game engine is worst then everquest 2. The pvp is the secret world is terrible, any one in the game will tell you that. There is no crafting system worth anything, and theres no economy to speak of at all. As far as putting any game from perfect world on a best of list page is terrible. You are misleading a bunch of people to waste their money. All perfect world games are just a money trap, and are all broken. Most things from china are but........ Terrible list you made, if that is your honest list, then you obviously dont game at all. 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by makasouleater69
    Did you even play these games your writing down 

William Murphy?

I dont see how you could of if this is the list you came up with. The secret world game engine is worst then everquest 2. The pvp is the secret world is terrible, any one in the game will tell you that. There is no crafting system worth anything, and theres no economy to speak of at all. As far as putting any game from perfect world on a best of list page is terrible. You are misleading a bunch of people to waste their money. All perfect world games are just a money trap, and are all broken. Most things from china are but........ Terrible list you made, if that is your honest list, then you obviously dont game at all. 

Please put forward your list of Best mmos of 2013 so far........ and yes he did play all those games...it is his job to do so. duh!!

If we remove all the MMOS that you mentioned what else is left to add to the list? lol

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I've went back to SWTOR and I'm having an amazing time in game.  Lots of peeps to play with, the customization they added is great and it isn't dependent on the cash shop (if you subscribe).  I'm happy it made the list.

I'm not surprised by RIFT not making this list.  Wouldn't be surprised to see it and WoW on the "Worst of" list.  Can't wait to see the comments on that post...lol. 

Way to go making a controversial list and stirring up the community.  I've really enjoyed reading this thread, laughs by the dozens.   =)

• ControlBlueControlBlue Member UncommonPosts: 22

The purpose of this post is to be controversial to generate posts and views.

You all got served.

A better list I think would be:

1. World of Warcraft - Still the King, can't deny it
    2. Neverwinter - The would-be successor of WoW, unfortunately the cash shop might be their undoing.
    3. Eve Online - Still a force to be reckoned with, proves the validity of the sandbox model.
    4. Guild Wars 2 - Not stellar but still solid. Consistent Release Schedule.
    5. Age of Wushu - The latest good sandbox, community-driven and alive, a breath of fresh air in the genre, would be higher if not for ping and translation issues.
    6. Tera - The move to F2P is their last chance, they get in the list because they offer a beautiful, modern game for free (unlike ShitTOR)! Would be higher if it was not for a dated game design and grinding themepark leveling.
    7. Rift - Honorable mention for a game that always tried to do its best to please its subscribers. The recent move to F2P further proves that they deserve to be on that list as a potential big player as the best free raiding mmo.
    I think I would do a way better job than the OP :)
  • ControlBlueControlBlue Member UncommonPosts: 22

The purpose of this post is to be controversial to generate posts and views.

You all got served.

A better list I think would be:

1. World of Warcraft - Still the King, can't deny it
    2. Neverwinter - The would-be successor of WoW, unfortunately the cash shop might be their undoing.
    3. Eve Online - Still a force to be reckoned with, proves the validity of the sandbox model.
    4. Guild Wars 2 - Not stellar but still solid. Consistent Release Schedule.
    5. Age of Wushu - The latest good sandbox, community-driven and alive, a breath of fresh air in the genre, would be higher if not for ping and translation issues.
    6. Tera - The move to F2P is their last chance, they get in the list because they offer a beautiful, modern game for free (unlike ShitTOR)! Would be higher if it was not for a dated game design and grinding themepark leveling.
    7. Rift - Honorable mention for a game that always tried to do its best to please its subscribers. The recent move to F2P further proves that they deserve to be on that list as a potential big player as the best free raiding mmo.
    Good job with the trolling OP :)
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    My "seven"

1 eve
    2 planetside 2 (shocking omission from the list, best engine going, best f2p model going)
    3 aow
    4 tsw
    5 gw2
    6 wow
    7 rift
  • jkwengertjkwengert Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Rift might make the end of year list we're aiming to do in November (prior to the true "Awards" in December), if the F2P turns it around. But Storm Legion was a let down and it's been a ghost town for months.

Opinions folks, we all can haz them.

For clarity sake, I don't really play RIFT anymore as I struggled finding a great end-game guild that had a raiding schedule that worked for my life. So this isn't "fanboi" raving. This is just a sanity check for your nonsense.

There's a difference between an opinion and BS and the BS factor in here just went through the roof. SL was a "let down"? Seriously? In what way?

Storm Legion was the most massive expansion for a game outside of GW1s "expansions" which were fully self-contained brand new games.

Here are 20 things off the top of my head RIFT SL expanded upon or added brand new:

1. Multiple new ways to earn XP (10 different ways now)

2. New raids

3. New dungeons (including additional chronicles)

4. TRIPLED the size of the gaming world

5. New souls

6. New currencies

7. A few new types of dynamic content

8. Massive crafting overhaul (even allow for BiS gear to be *crafted*) and large level cap raise in crafting

9. New Planar Attunement XP with dozens of new skills and ways to further customize your character's build

10. A massive overhaul to factions (can be multi-faction guilds, parties, LFG, dungeon finder, dynamic content, etc.)

11. New gear types that can be upgraded

12. TWO new gear slots

13. Player housing that includes several THOUSAND items (and players can even vote on which player housing is the best)

14. Added hundreds of new achievements

15. Massive new set of rifts including many Great Hunt lures; hell they even tied in to Defiance and cross-universed rifts there so Hellbugs are in RIFT

16. New skills

17. Massive overhaul to every soul (now 40 souls)

18. New mounts and fluff content (titles, pets)

19. A 10-level cap increase

20. New puzzles and hundreds of new artifacts

Plus the lottery app is just the best. I keep using that even though I'm not active in the game anymore. Play the mobile app to earn me hundreds of gold a week? Yes, please. Log in once every two weeks, auction off all the artifacts I've "won", etc.

Show me an expansion to any other game that did more?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Kuro1n
    Wow how the fuck can you list GW2 over EVE? A game that has been getting free expansions for the last 10 years! A userbase that has been growing since day one. EVE number 1 and I dont even play that game anymore. Either MMORPG is getting paid to put GW2 there or bill is a fanboy of GW2, either way it's shit.

lol Maybe they liked the game better.  EVE is incredibly boring to me, personally.

And for those saying WoW should be #1, it doesn't deserve it, not for 2012 or 2013, because it sucks now.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

My list would have looked like:

GW2

Rift

WoW

Swtor

Tera

Neverwinter

Eve

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    How much did ea pay you to put a game from 2011, that sucks, on a best of 2013 list?

Also eve, gw2 & tsw aren't from 2013 either.

This.

In my opinion.... ANY list that this website makes up will undoubtedly be a list of which MMO Publisher paid them the most money vs. who paid the least or none at all.

Sorry MMORPG.com Staff... but it's blatantly obvious you have been "bought and paid for". Sorry but that's how I see it.

• SirGradySirGrady Member UncommonPosts: 29
    none of them would appear on my list ...
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

Shitty list, as always on mmorpg.com. Those are true winners:

1. EVE Online (always was and still ahead of its time. The only true sandbox, MMORPG as it should be).

2. TSW (the best MMORPG in many departments: story, characters, setting, development, graphics, atmosphere, quests)

3. WoW (ultimate theme park, has everything for everyone)

4. Age of Wushu (most unique MMORPG with best PvP system in ages. Amazing game overal, only weak point is PvE)

5. Tie between TERA, AoC, Vanguard and LoTRO

Neverwinter is disaster and doesnt deserve to be in top 10. SWToR is boring bland clone, same as RIFT. GW2... boring and disappointing. 

EVE should not be number one and there are really not new players playing it - they are the same people that are obsessed with the game.

I just started playing it last week having never tried it before and the Rookie Help channel has almost 5k people in it.  It definitely attracts a lot of new people not just vets.

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Instead of, "Best of 2013," a better title would be  - "The only good MMOs currently worth spending your time on." Except for Darkfall, I have played all of these games and I have to agree that Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO out right now. What place the others come in at is irrelevant to me, since I can really only invest my time in 1 MMO at a time, and I tend to go with "the best." Personally, I think SWTOR FTP is far too limiting and Neverwinter, although pretty good in the FTP market, was overall very disappointing to me. My #2 pick would have to be The Secret World. Even though the combat is clunky, it is a WIN for the modern-day theme and it's horror-movie-like theme...and the fact that your armor/clothing has nothing to do with stats is awesome  and I think every MMO should be like that. 
  • hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Still want NW on that list?
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    So with the kerfuffle Neverwinter is getting into via duping, exploiting, economy inflation and no wipe.  You guys still think NeverWinter belongs on this list?

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Stupid lists are Just that Stupid. Shame on you Bill.

• MurphyleoMurphyleo Member Posts: 11

i dont come on  much but i came to put in a plug for my favorite MMo thats NOT on the list and i want to know why? ......Can World of Tanks get any love ........its so good it made me forget the 80 bucks i wasted on GW2 and i had been playing it for a year when GW2 came out and i still continued to play it everyday in spite of logging in and wasting my time on GW2 .

It definitely deserves a spot on the list its almost 3 years old and it has updates every month literally .....you cant argue with that .

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

List is a joke.

Should be popular MMOs of 2013 in order of money wasted creating them.

SWTOR was and is just WoW with a Star Wars skin.  It sucked when it launched, and it still sucks now.

The new Darkfall, while better than the original, is still bad.  Shouldn't even be on the list, and I say that having followed Darkfall since 2004 and wishing it was even close to what they originally promised.

I couldn't find a reason to play GW2.  I followed it close enough to know it would flunk, and it did.  All my friends and fellow guild mates from other games that tried it, abandoned it within 2 weeks just like we did with Tera, Aion, Rift and the other cut and paste MMOs out there.

The new Neverwinter looks neat, has a much improved action combat system, but at best it would be at the bottom of the list.  I think I will enjoy playing it casually.  Its shortcomings are obvious, not the least of which would be a glaring lack of content, classes and reasons to play for more than an hour.  Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just can't bring myself to pay homage to a game the revolves around instances and pve and, upon logging in, allows you to just be instantly teleported into dungeon groups.

Age of Wushu is a ray of hope in this list being the first real 3rd gen MMO.  Ironically, its everything veteran gamers have been wishing for since the UO/EQ/SB era, and no one even knows it exists.  People see kung fu and think another cheap asian grinder.  Except DF:UW, every other game in the list in comparison is just the same old MMO rewrapped with trivial additions, while wushu has open world pvp,  player driven world and economy (sandbox),  has unparalleled action based combat and offers more to do every day than you could accomplish if you sat at your computer from sun up to sun down.  The game is quality from graphics and gameplay, to the music and sound.  If you like immersion, theres plenty in AoW.

Every aspect of the game is geared towards pvp, including the pve which can't be accomplished without slaying other players during boss encounters.  After a decade of MMOs that can be mastered by a brain-dead fetus, finally someone made a game where thinking is required.  Everything from making money, to skilling up and gearing your character takes careful consideration.  The crafting system is fantastic with all professions being necessary and useful.  Every profession depends on other professions so players rely on players which naturally stimulates the economy.

Not to say wushu doesn't have downsides, because it definitely does.  There seems to be absolutely 0 dev to player communication.  The customer service sucks.  Trying to subscribe (VIP) is a huge hassle (payment options suck - no paypal).  The large scale pvp is unbalanced and lacks diminishing returns leaving certain skill sets completely OP.  The servers are riddled with lag and syncing problems which often cripples you in pvp.  Nevertheless, it still has more to offer by a military mile than any other new MMO out or in beta.