Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Darkfall: Unholy Wars: A Tough But Rewarding Nut to Crack

Comments

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Gameplay is definitely 9/10 once you get some confidence in the PVP area.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    You people are paranoid... I have yet to come across anybody cheating. Its easy to be suspicious in this type of game though. A good warmed up player can shoot you nonstop without missing sometimes. Stop being ridiculous if your first thought is that they must be using aimbot or something. People dodge a lot in this game and there is no strafe so using an aimbot will actually make you an easier target for the enemy to take down. Many times during combat you do not have the enemy on your screen if you are a good player. Trust me. Aimbot is not used by the pros in this game. Cheaters haven't been an issue at all for me and I have been playing a lot.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

Sid - Why didnt you address the use of speedhack that is all over the place? Warriors running arround you with the speed of lightning to get those crits in your back. They usually turn on their speedhack when they is surpriced farming in PvE spots. Speedhack users is in the game and they arent as few as you claim, and speedhack can be turned on gradually so it isnt that obvious your using it but still give you that upper hand.

Shooting 3 arrows in 1-2 sec isnt possible with game mechanics. And didnt you see the 350 damage from 1 arrow a deathpig cowboy managed to do? Easy to have 150K prowess points then isnt it? Rest of the playerbase have half in PP.

Time you remove your fanboy glasses and see the game for what it is. 

• MegaD61MegaD61 Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by PsyMike3d

The melee combat is clunky, archery is worse, spellcasting is dumbed down.  The game is flat out unacceptable.   It may be fast and chaotic, but it's sloppy and unrefined: somehow it's even Worse than DF1.  

The progression is simply a dumbed down version of the same thing from DF1 with less options presented.  Same thing goes for crafting.  

The gameplay deserves a 6/10 at the most.  Overall the game is a 5 or a 6.

totally agree!

Do you guys even play? The combat had problems in beta but now I find it fun faced paced and fluid... I enjoy fights in DFUW more then I did in DF1 and I played DF1 for years.  You either are not playing or just don't like change.

Originally posted by Aragon100

Sid - Why didnt you address the use of speedhack that is all over the place? Warriors running arround you with the speed of lightning to get those crits in your back. They usually turn on their speedhack when they is surpriced farming in PvE spots. Speedhack users is in the game and they arent as few as you claim, and speedhack can be turned on gradually so it isnt that obvious your using it but still give you that upper hand.

Shooting 3 arrows in 1-2 sec isnt possible with game mechanics. And didnt you see the 350 damage from 1 arrow a deathpig cowboy managed to do? Easy to have 150K prowess points then isnt it? Rest of the playerbase have half in PP.

Man why so many haters... I have a 40 K skirm.  I play DFUW all the time... I have NEVER personally saw a cheater... Please do not take a few cases and make it sound like its rampant because it is not. AV is banning cheaters and gold sellers as they find them.

Originally posted by MegaD61

Originally posted by Aragon100

Man why so many haters... I have a 40 K skirm.  I play DFUW all the time... I have NEVER personally saw a cheater... Please do not take a few cases and make it sound like its rampant because it is not. AV is banning cheaters and gold sellers as they find them.

That's because you arent as experienced as i am. I played these kind of games since UO beta 1997 and i dont care dying, just pisses me off dying in competitive games towards cheaters.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Lol Aragorn.

You've played FPS mmos since 1997? Really? Which ones were those?

2 out of the 4 classes have skills which add to movement speed chief.

As far as aimbotting goes, how exactly would that work considering players have a tendency to not stand still when they're getting shot at? I don't see something like this working even in PVE where mobs move and react in an unpredictable fashion.

I think it's time to face the fact that you just aren't as good as you think you are.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

Gri - Aint you a Sherlock.

2 classes have movement speed? really? =)

Do you even know what speedhack does? It increase the speed of shooting and the speed of your character, have nothing to do with classes. A skirmisher on speedhack is faster then a legit skirmisher, was that easy enough for you?

There is aimbotting, wallhack, radar, invulneribility and speedhack out there if you take 10 seconds of your time googling. 

You actually belive DFUW is the only MMO out there without cheats? My experience is that competitive gaming with full loot have more cheaters since the reward for cheating is greater.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Aimbots in DF simply don't work [mod edit]]

Let me spell it out for you:

For a hack to calculate the position and trajectory to hit a target, that target would have to have a constant speed and direction. Players have a tendency to change direction during PvP, thus negating any advantage they would have from letting a program do their aiming for them. 

If you were straight-lining in PvP and died, it was due to your absolute lack of a clue in what you were doing and not some aim hack.

Shit even the short-lived hacking suite from DF 1 listed their aimbot as melee-only for the above reasons.

AFAIK there was one hacker who was quickly banned. I'm not saying that the client isn't hackable, just that 99% of hackusations, AS WITH ALL GAMES, are coming from butthurt players who simply don't realize they are horrible players.

This isn't some F2P where people can make a new account in 2 minutes and be up and running again, If you get your jollies by being a script kiddy it's gonna cost you 55$ per attempt.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Solid review.  I was worried at first when it seemed like the reviewer wasn't really leaving the safezones, but I must say that everything is fair and accurate.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

Originally posted by Grixxitt

Aimbots in DF simply don't work genius.

For a hack to calculate the position and trajectory to hit a target, that target would have to have a constant speed and direction. Players have a tendency to change direction during PvP, thus negating any advantage they would have from letting a program do their aiming for them. 

If you were straight-lining in PvP and died, it was due to your absolute lack of a clue in what you were doing and not some aim hack.

Shit even the short-lived hacking suite from DF 1 listed their aimbot as melee-only for the above reasons.

AFAIK there was one hacker who was quickly banned. I'm not saying that the client isn't hackable, just that 99% of hackusations, AS WITH ALL GAMES, are coming from butthurt players who simply don't realize they are horrible players.

This isn't some F2P where people can make a new account in 2 minutes and be up and running again, If you get your jollies by being a script kiddy it's gonna cost you 55$ per attempt.

Exactly.  Finally another sane person who posts on DFUW forms.

Every single player I've seen trying to sell gold or who has had a video posted of them cheating has been banned within 2 days.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Eh, I give it a 6.5

Would be higher if:

-Better UI...I swear to god I hate the UI. You open Feats. Then open Inventory...close either of those and the whole UI closes. Then if you open up say Feats again....the Inventory is also opened because that's what you had opened with it last time....

-Better sound. Was that a foot step? The Wind? Dunno, better start running before I find out! (For reference: I have a 7.1 system)

-Better Graphics. I played DFO....we are literally looking at the same damn graphics with 'some' improvement. Think of it like this SOE takes EQ1's graphics and puts it on EQ2's engine. I believe DF 2.0 (aka DFUW) was in the works for ~2yrs. And is basically an upgraded version of DFO. If you go in game you'll see the landscape is relatively unchanged....so, no, this is not a new game that was built from scratch.

Fix that up and, ya. Solid 8.

This game isn't for most, but for those of you who enjoy risk and reward.....it's a grand adventure (until an Ork smacks ya upside the head and takes all your stuff you just farmed) :P

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Vapors

Originally posted by Snoepie

I have never seen a game which has boats. Hm maybe minecraft but thats no mmo

Vanguard is a MMO where you can build your own boats. ArcheAge too, but that isnt released yet (I think). There are probably even more.

Oh and this review is a joke. There is nothing innovative about this title, please learn what that word means. And this part, "Great communication with the community" , makes me suspect that the reviewer likes to make things up.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Good review, George! I agree with almost all of your points. Too bad you didn't get to experience siege warfare, though. I hear it's fantastic.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    and where is performance? 1/10 ....
  • BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

I don't know whats the bigger joke...

This guys review,, never getting more than 2k prowess and openly admitting to never participating in a siege.

or AV trashing DF1 and launching DF2 with 10% of the DF1 content. 

I appreciated the angle this review was coming from,  A new fresh perspective.  But I hate when the kids don't play more than 10 hours and claim its like 20 or 30. 

This review is trash.  I don't have any feelings about the score,  just the credibility of the whole review process.   

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

Aimbots in DF simply don't work [mod edit]]

Aimbots and speed hacks are quite common in this game.  If you would just take some time to do some internet searches you can find all sorts of interesting things on the net.   The devs really don't have the resources to control it.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Fondel
    After a month of gameplay I haven't ever seen a cheater and neither does anyone in my guild... just wondering, where are all those cheaters?

same here.  i was in one of the biggest guilds too (Empire), and i never heard anyone complain of cheating.

or even in global chat for that matter!

hint for the simple minded people out there:

.....this is not the same as saying there are no cheaters.  ALL games have cheaters

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by McGamer

If DF didn't fail, the truth is AV wouldn't have rebuilt the game and tried for a new relaunch.

lol

because failed games run for almost 4 years and then release sequels

Corpus Callosum    

A game that crashes all the time just got a 9/10 gameplay score.  Is that the new standard?   Did anyone but me notice that?

i skimmed over most of your obsessive post, cuz it came off smelling pretty hatery.

but when looking for a summary of your spirit here......

do you have no concept about the difference between stability and gameplay?

how can you type in so many words and screw up some of the most basic bits of logic like that?

P.S.   for myself and many people Darkfall is actually one of the more stable games out there.  i crashed only once in my month of subscription.   and i had the game running probably more than 12 hours a day (i wasn't actively playing but a few hours a day, but i was afk harvesting MOST of the time, which is where i got the majority of my prowess)

hint for the simple minded folk:

i'm not saying that OTHER people with different hardware are lying about crashing, just pointing out its not (by a longshot) a universal stability problem.  it only plagues CERTAIN users.

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by BelegStrongbow

I don't know whats the bigger joke...

This guys review,, never getting more than 2k prowess and openly admitting to never participating in a siege.

or AV trashing DF1 and launching DF2 with 10% of the DF1 content. 

I don't have any feelings about the score,  just the credibility of the whole review process.   

a guy that claims DFUW only has %10 of the DF1 content is talking about credibility issues.

8)

Corpus Callosum    

• b0mb3rb0mb3r Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Nice Review... I would like to read your thoughts about a siege... Unfortunately you didn't`t have the opportunity.
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

GREAT COMMUNICATION WITH THE COMMUNITY?!

The SERVERS WERE DOWN FOR A WEEK, WITH NO COMMUNICATION!

That's horrible! For a game you're paying monthly for!

jeeeeez.....    this is a flat out lie.   how do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you say something so ridiculous that thousands of people know immediately is just totally wrong?

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by asdar

This is a good review, look at other MMO sites and they pretty much mirror this. There's more good reviews than bad.

The best thing about Darkfall is the gameplay. Archery and magic are brilliant compared to Tab targetting. That's how he rated it. If you think hitting Tab is more challenging than aiming at a target and possibly hitting your friend in the back then I have no hope for you.

There's some people that can't get used to the controls. They're institutionalized because they've been hitting tab too long and straight key to action controls. Give yourself a good day or two before you form an opinion. Most people get to like the controls.

I'm not a huge fan of melee. It's so much hopping and sprinting. It is challenging and I think better than tab melee by a mile, but I'd much prefer something a bit more methodical and logical such as M&B style.

My second thing would be just to give people an understanding that this was a small dev team. It doesn't have Blizzards money or SoE's huge staff. I don't give them even a half break for the mistakes and slow content added, but I do give them a quarter. A good MMO grows, so I'll give them a chance to grow.

My last point would be that a LOT of reviews are by people that don't like PvP FFA loot games. That's totally understandable, it's jarring the first time to lose gear, especially because almost all games are so loot centric. Gotta get that super weapon or groups won't even let you play with them. Darkfall isn't like that. Gear just doesn't mean that much. If you don't craft at all you'll almost always know someone you can buy gear from cheap or you just ask in guild and get some for supplying the materials. There's still people that won't like the, PvP and that's fine. I'd personally love a PvE version of Darkfall with lots of mobs and dungeons, but the exact same combat mechanics. I hope someone comes out with a game like that.

overall good post.

and the part in red..... yeah.  they'd make SOOOO much more money if they had some PVE servers (they'd need more than one). 

especially now that they aren't the only action MMO in town anymore.   meaning.... today's players know that they exist, and are actively looking for more now.   they've evolved away from tab target dice rollers, and are ready for a game like DF now.  unlike the scene 4 years ago when DF1 release.

but hardly any of their potential customers would put up with unrestricted PVP everywhere.

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by Raventree

Wow, talk about getting people fired up!  This game seriously makes people fall on love or become frothing at the mouth rabid!  The only comment that I will make is that they need to seriously put out some free trials, buddy keys, or remove the monthly sub.  There aren't many MMOs these days that can still justify a sub and with Rift going F2P I don't think a second-rate company like Aventurine is doing themselves any favors by placing so much cost in the way of players giving their game a try.  They may need the money because they are a small company, but SWToR apparently made more as F2P than as a sub game.

Edit:  The reason I point this out is that I wouldn't mind trying it, but based on the mixed reviews I am not dropping $55 to immediately realize that my mouth is foaming and I feel the urge to type with my fists while I rage on the forums. 

hahahahah

yep.  its quite comically polarizing to the types of people that hang out here.

Corpus Callosum