Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW is a clone.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
I always laugh when someone calls a game wow clone.  It is very odd because these gamers don't realize that WOW is a clone itself.  Before WOW existed there was Everquest, Knight Online, Dark Age of Camelot.  WOW has things from all three of these games and more from others as well.  Look at Everquest 2 and how similar it is to WOW and you see that they both came out the same time frame and both have a lot of similar things.  It is clear that WOW is just a part of a genre of gaming and a clone of older and better games in some cases.  Remember, it isn't what kind of dog you are but who's dog you are that really counts.  The very reason that some awesome games are fail and other horrible games are packed with players.  It all has to do with the hype and advertising.  Just make a decent game and you got a ton of players because you are Blizzard and you advertise on television.  So next time you call anything a WOW clone, it would be better to give the credit where it is truly due.  WOW is a copycat.
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Finally a thread bold enough to tackle this topic.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Um did you just realize this? Even after vanilla WoW blizzard copied other MMOs. So not sure how anybody would just be picking up on this....

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ResertonReserton Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Finally? You mean for the 10000th time, Op please take your ridiculous topic elsewhere. Do you seriously think this has not been covered thousands of times already? 

• KiddZeroKiddZero Member Posts: 6
    I believe they are called wow clones because WoW was so revolutionary, no other mmorpg (Including the ones you mentioned that where released before WoW) have even come close to the magnificent big bang mmo. WoW was a prodigy of its genera and because no other mmo can compete, they are automatically labeled "WoW Clones". 
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Ah yes, the weekly "WoW is a clone" thread.

Doom was a clone

Command and Conquer was a clone

Final Fantasy Tactics was a clone

Ect, ect, ect.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Reserton

Finally? You mean for the 10000th time, Op please take your ridiculous topic elsewhere. Do you seriously think this has not been covered thousands of times already? 

Clearly the concept of sarcasm eludes you.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

It doesn't matter. Everything you see, hear or feel is a clone. The music you listen to, the movies you watch and the games you play. All are inspired on previous examples.

Even people are clones. 

It's a fact and we should stop arguing about it.

• MeleconMelecon Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by KiddZero
    I believe they are called wow clones because WoW was so revolutionary, no other mmorpg (Including the ones you mentioned that where released before WoW) have even come close to the magnificent big bang mmo. WoW was a prodigy of its genera and because no other mmo can compete, they are automatically labeled "WoW Clones". 

Ummm you really think WoW is revolutionary.... there is nothing in this game that was not in previous games.

The only thing WoW / Blizzard did right was create a game on a IP that people at the time really wanted to explore. So basically they played off the Hype of Warcraft 3 which in itself was a clone...

I must state also that it was not even an original IP either.

Originally posted by Melecon

Ummm you really think WoW is revolutionary.... there is nothing in this game that was not in previous games.

The only thing WoW / Blizzard did right was create a game on a IP that people at the time really wanted to explore. So basically they played off the Hype of Warcraft 3 which in itself was a clone...

I must state also that it was not even an original IP either.

are you joking? this game WAS revolutionary! Please tell me a more heard of MMORPG.. everyone in the world knows of WoW!! And just because it stole ideas from other games doesn't mean it didn't have some great ideas of its own. Don't actually hold me to this but as far as i know it was the first game to have the faction pvp world wide.. and if im right, that is revolutionary.

• guascoguasco Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Reserton

Clearly the concept of sarcasm eludes you.

Rofl .

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

WoW isn't a clone of Everquest in any way. 

WoW is a completely different game from EQ, if you don't know why you haven't played the games.

EQ is a grind game - WoW is a quest hub game

EQ is a PVE game - WoW uses battlegrounds and PVP advancement

EQ is a zoned world - WoW is an open world

EQ has free mobs - in WoW every mob is on a leash

EQ uses an AA system for progress - WoW uses a spec system

EQ forces you to group - WoW allows you to solo on every class

they're both MMO, and WoW borrowed some things from EQ, but clones..not by a long shot

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Pong cloned table tennis.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Using the OP's logic, all video games are clones of Pong.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

WoW is a completely different game from EQ, if you don't know why you haven't played the games.

they're both MMO, and WoW borrowed some things from EQ, but clones..not by a long shot

What planet are you from? First, read my post again.  Second, read my post again.

So far the only ideas that I saw first on WOW is the matchmaking dungeons and pvp battlegrounds.  I'm not sure if these came from other games or not.

The only reason WOW was soo successful was because it was the only game advertised on television aside from Everquest.  They had millions to pour into their setup that other games did not.  Yes they did leave a huge mark but only because they had the money to move forward not because they were a superior game.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Yes,it brought ideas from other MMO's together to  help produce WoW and the standard in MMO's that you see today..

However,it did introduce new things to the genre.Accessibility and Ease of difficulty to name a couple,those of which im not a fan of.

but it did make the genre explode in population,as we all know.It brought in people who wouldnt normally play MMO's back then into the fold.

It also sent the the genre into what seems like an endless pit of stagnation.As all the business heads are clamoring for the money.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

WoW copied aspects from other MMOs, namely Everquest and improved on it.

Please educate yourself before typing uneducated opinions.

PS. Welcome to the Forums

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by filmoret

What planet are you from? First, read my post again.  Second, read my post again.

The only reason WOW was soo successful was because it was the only game advertised on television aside from Everquest.  

A planet that makes sense.

WoW was a vastly different game from the ones before it, and the reason for WoW's success was:

1. Because it was Blizzard and that alone gives them incredibly attention

2. Because WoW was the first MMO that was accessible to everyone and distributed worldwide, unlike EQ

It was not just because they advertised, advertising gets your foot in the door, and frankly Blizzard didn't need the advertising, WoW was a massive success because it was so accessible and solid.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    Using the OP's logic, all video games are clones of Pong.

Yes but pong cloned table tennis and table tennis cloned tennis and tennis cloned people throwing things to each other and people throwing things to each other cloned people handing things to each other and people handing things to each other cloned... trading in WoW?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Ivylena

WoW copied aspects from other MMOs, namely Everquest and improved on it.

Please educate yourself before typing uneducated opinions.

PS. Welcome to the Forums

Where from this do you get that i was disagreeing with wow being a clone? i was simply saying that it did it better than other mmos thus being idolized as the best one out there taking credit for the ideas they stole. Which is why all other mmorpg's are called wow clones.

so please..

learn to comprehend before responding uncomprehendingly. 

• JVasquezJVasquez Member UncommonPosts: 20

Only thing WoW did better then other games was make it more geared towards children. They lowered the skill level needed to be good at the game which opened up a lot of new customers, casual people, parents and their kids who can now play with each other. The main games before WoW required skill to be good at it.

If you played those games you would understand.

Also WoW had a lot of bugs when it first came out. It was no where near a polished game when released. It also was not as popular. This was because it was harder. It followed the games before it like EQ and DAOC where things were not easy and you had to be good. Then at some point they nerfed everything. Things could now be done well half paying attention. If you had good gear you no longer had to be a good player.

Then addons came out. Now the skill was completely out the door. Years of playing this way has made it so people can not survive in any game other then WoW. They play a new game, can't heal because they do not have heal bot. Can't keep aggro because they do not have something telling them when they need to increase aggro. Pretty much there aren't things holding their hand making it easy mode. They try to switch games. End up not able to handle the skill level needed and go back to WoW.

WoW was very popular. It brought MMOs into the mainstream spotlight. It also ended all hope for MMOs as the new online players today need the WoW crutch in order to play them.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I always laugh when someone calls a game wow clone.  It is very odd because these gamers don't realize that WOW is a clone itself.  Before WOW existed there was Everquest, Knight Online, Dark Age of Camelot.  WOW has things from all three of these games and more from others as well.  Look at Everquest 2 and how similar it is to WOW and you see that they both came out the same time frame and both have a lot of similar things.  It is clear that WOW is just a part of a genre of gaming and a clone of older and better games in some cases.  Remember, it isn't what kind of dog you are but who's dog you are that really counts.  The very reason that some awesome games are fail and other horrible games are packed with players.  It all has to do with the hype and advertising.  Just make a decent game and you got a ton of players because you are Blizzard and you advertise on television.  So next time you call anything a WOW clone, it would be better to give the credit where it is truly due.  WOW is a copycat.

I cherish your every post, filmoret.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    WoW was the first MMO.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

WoW was a clone of what?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

So far the only ideas that I saw first on WOW is the matchmaking dungeons and pvp battlegrounds.  I'm not sure if these came from other games or not.

The only reason WOW was soo successful was because it was the only game advertised on television aside from Everquest.  They had millions to pour into their setup that other games did not.  Yes they did leave a huge mark but only because they had the money to move forward not because they were a superior game.

Oh please.  Why can't people just accept the fact that Blizzard released a highly polished and fun mmo?  The game works the way its suppose to work.  Its mmorpg101 to the core.  It offers something for everybody.  And its made by a great developer.  How does that not make it a superior game?

If people weren't having fun, then they wouldn't have stuck around.  SWTOR, lotro, and Warhammer are just as big IPs (if not bigger) but they failed to attract the same success because the games, while having some cool ideas and fun aspects, had either some glaring problems, shoddy service, or poor system designs.  And don't think for a second that millions of people haven't tried out those games, because they have and decided not to keep on playing.

But going back to the original topic - I think the word 'clone' is a little overused, especially on this forum.  But I would say that if people are going to say 'mmo X'  is a clone of WoW, then they might as well use the same mindset and realize that WoW is a clone of EQ.  Rob Pardo and Jeff Kaplan can attest to that.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Hey guys, I just had an epiphany. I think that Call of Duty: Black Ops is a clone of Wolfenstein 3D.
This discussion has been closed.