Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best MMOs of 2013... So Far

Comments

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

SWTOR being in the mix had me scratching my head, but other than that, pretty fair list.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Neverwinter, good or bad, shouldn't be on this list as it is still in Beta, open, gold, pre-launch, but not yet in release last I saw.

Regardless, if this is the 'Best' we have for this year so far, we are in a terrible year. When ARPG's (Tera, GW2, NW) can masquerade as full MMO's.  When shallow gimmicky MMO's (DF:UW, SWTOR, TSW) are considered among the best. ...sigh... Why not consider Scrabble as the hottest 'new' MMO property, it sure beats many of the ones on this list.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I think it's a good selection overall.

However, I personally wouldn't really rank them. Each and every one of those games offer a very distinct experience, which will attract a different audience.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

However, I personally wouldn't really rank them. Each and every one of those games offer a very distinct experience, which will attract a different audience.

Positive attitudes are not allowed on mmorpg.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78

My favorites of 2013.

1.) WoW

2). SWTOR

3.) Neverwinter

4.) DDO

5.) TSW

6.) DCO

7.) LOTRO

8.) Age of Wushu

9.) Eve

10.) Rift

GW2 doesn't make my list. The game is super bland and boring. Was actually shocked to see mmorpg.com rank that game number 1. This account is my third for mmorpg.com I made it because I couldn't remember my information to sign into GW2 beta key give away. Made a new account, got the key, played the beta for a few hours, thought the game was great so I preordered it and lasted 3 weeks before I grew tired of it.

• jackocompjackocomp Member UncommonPosts: 50

I find it interesting people think CCP <eve online's="" developers=""> are loyal!

haha CCP have no idea what loyalty means as far as the player base goes

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Ahhhhhh MMORPG.com hipster tears. They sustain me. 

Agreed, lol.

Now that I've played GW2 I don't get where this hate is coming from? Is it bangwagon hate? The game surely isn't perfect but I cant' seem to grasp how it's the crap fest everyone makes it out to be. TSW should also be appreciated more.

• scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89

Love how those that like full loot pvp talk about that sub genre as if it  is the pinnacle of mmo games rather than an offshoot of battlefield 3 and most are dull twitch feasts played by guys with the beer gut and social attitude of "comic book guy" from the Simpsons. PvE is and always will be where most play...that's cause it's better...simple that. 

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Vorch
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Positive attitudes are not allowed on mmorpg.

I keep trying :)

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol eve is like bf3, that's a classic that one ;p
  • TE5LATE5LA Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    No Scarlet Blade? You'd think with the amount of advertising they do here that they'd at least get an honorable mention...

Scarlet Blade is really horrible. I wouldn't put it on a Top 100.

• TumoraTumora Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by TE5LA
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    No Scarlet Blade? You'd think with the amount of advertising they do here that they'd at least get an honorable mention...

Scarlet Blade is really horrible. I wouldn't put it on a Top 100.

*sarcasm* And what? Your not going for "sex sells"?

• FuuManChew35FuuManChew35 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    How do you know, just curious. Where do you find these numbers?
  • AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

So we know where the cartel market money  goes!! To pay good reviews for EA's crappy games LOL SWTOR good? hahaha 

I have 7 toons there and is just because it says Star Wars in the box , the game is the worst piece of crap ever made, greedy ruled, boring and repetitive as hell,,, but is Star Wars .

How I wish dont love so much that dam franchise.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    That swtor made this list but not rift or wow is confusing, where these games picked out of a hat?

• Neverwinter and GW2 really have no place on that list...
  • manio22manio22 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Skullagrim

IMO it be

1. WoW

2. GW2

3. Eve (never played it though lol)

4. TSW

5. SWTOR

6. Rift

7. Neverwinter

+1 to this

I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it
    --Voltaire

• anjealous82anjealous82 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Quit you damn complaining. This is this guys list or the people who work on this website's list. The list is cool. But The Secret World would have been my number one. Games too damn good to be at five. Although it does nothing to save my hands. The same goes for Guild Wars 2 Don't go halfway between Action and mmo the stop. Age of Wushu  a really good one, but system requires you to have the mouse in one hand and a joint in the other. But I don't smoke. World of Warcraft as other mentioned doesn't need to be on this list. It's time has come and gone. Beside because of it the mmo genre has been slightly damned. Cast aside Darkfall and throw in Tera or Rift and your list is complete. But this is someone(s) else list. So I accept his choice and leave it at that.
  • xMorbidAngeLxMorbidAngeL Member UncommonPosts: 17

my top 5 ranking for now

1 SWTOR

2 Star Trek online

3  GW2

4 Tera online

5 Cabal online

• Delavega86Delavega86 Member Posts: 112

GW2 is by far the best mmo ive played. fun combat, structured pvp is not about gear, and the leveling/exploring is the best i have ever experienced by far. plus it has jumping puzzles which are awesome :P

only thing that i dont like is, WvW = Blob-Wars, this game needs full collision detection. so ppl cannot hug eachother and squeeze into 1 square-foot area. spamming 111111 while the blob steamrolls things.

SWTOR, there wasnt one single thing i didnt like about this game. questing was for once interesting, with voiced over quests where you reply. the pvp was awesome. huttball is the most fun arena-design and game-type ever. instances were the most fun 5-man dungeons i've ever played.

yes, the world pvp was broken from a technical point of view, but thats about the only thing bad i can find about the game before it went pseudo-F2P which is a joke... things like 3 instances or 3 BGs per week and no trading... and such.... thats not F2P, that is mocking us right in our faces.

NWO: combat is the most fun and exciting combat i've played. (tera was too precise it was annoying). i love the armor/weapon style, not over the top like WoW/GW2, i like that.

the foundry is very fun. but lacks a lot of options thus limiting your creativity. added in the future hopefully.

PvP combat is good, but increadibly imbalanced and missing a lot of crucial mechanics such as diminishing returns. rogues often instakill people, wizards often perma-stun you to death, and poor GWFs make you feel sorry for them. not to mention whoever has the $$-mount has a huge advantage.

questing is such a drag! very boring and irritating. back and forth, back and forth. GW2 spoiled me. 

and of course, many-many-many-way-too-many annoying bugs. hopefully fixed.

and just a heads-up, the shop is a lot more expensive than your average mmo shop.

(fyi, mmo's i've played: WoW, WAR<3, Aion, SWTOR, Tera, GW2, AoW, NWO)

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by marz.at.play

Guild Wars 2 failed so much for original Guild Wars players especially in PvP as ArenaNet catered to the masses instead of their loyal fanbase. In the end I think they shot themselves in the foot. It's still a great MMO but not what most had hoped for regardless of updates.

Neverwinter at #3 is interesting but I'd have to agree. Although I've never tried EvE I know it has a die hard following. I would have put Star Wars at #7.

So true about GW 2. I was so happy I'm coming back to Tyria, but after couple months, after Karkas, basicly useles island, and after Fractals, where you go the same stuff again and again (which is very WoW like) I couldnt stand it anymore. Its a great game with a great world, but GW 1 was so much more. But I've heard they have expansion coming, might change few things.

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    SWTOR should be 7, the rest is up fro debate i guess. Terrible game performance, dated graphics, stunted animation,  sterile stale worlds with funneled paths, one of the worst cash shops out there, terrible end-game, poor pvp,  extraordinary waste of money and IP.  Not the characteristics of a great game.   This reminds me of those '8/10' reviews.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Well, we must come back here when TESO will be on the way (open beta or gold). Because no TESO no GOTY.
  • Alpha_6Alpha_6 Member Posts: 2
    After watching the video I can see why EVE didn't get the top spot. There are factors to all the games listed and those not listed.

Lets take one of the unmentioned games, WoW. This game had a "Fisher Price My First MMO" feel to it when I played. I felt like I could know the game on an almost intimate level after one or two weeks. While the idea of the interacting in the world of the Warcraft universe is a good concept the game makers didn't try to bring about a true expansion feel with their updates. More or less their expansions were higher level caps, more quests, and a handful of added and modified features. The game has gone through little to no graphical updates to keep up with the trend of games looking better and better visually. On the flip side WoW is one of the few games I know of that is simple and easy to pick up and understand. Unfortunately this is the only point aside from story that I can say is good. While fun for many it is a game geared for children with some adult themes.

Guild Wars 2 feels like WoW's older brother. While the games have little in common aside from the fantasy feel and some sharing of races and monsters, the over all game play is more thought out and less chaotic in GW2. While I haven't picked up Guild Wars 2 yet the feel I get from descriptions of friends who play it and things I read on the net make it out of be WoW 2.0, or everything that WoW didn't/couldn't include. I will agree that it is over hyped because the descriptions that paint a picture in my mind don't match up with the image I see in the actual game play. As fun as the game may be I have yet to be impressed enough to call it more than a better version of WoW.

EVE is a sleeper MMO. With a small but growing player base and expansions that feel like true expansions. EVE could be a prime candidate for the fabled 'Perfect MMO' While not having the classic Dungeons and Dragons feel that many MMOs have, it offers a true world in itself that is constantly evolving. EVE has a sense of order to it that other games either lack or cannot achieve. It is here that I feel the game draws in its particular fan base. The mature gamer. When I played EVE it felt very professional. Maybe because many of my peers were military. A good majority of the PvP in the game (at least what I saw of it) was thought out and organized. While the learning curve is notoriously steep among other MMOs, it helps cut players out of the running that could be detrimental to the game.

Games like War Thunder, World of Tanks are roughly in the same league as Halo and Call of Duty multiplayer. They are over glorified lobby based matchmaker combat games.

All in all both the games I mentioned and those I failed to mention are good games to those that find them fun. The fan in me feels that EVE should have the top spot, but the realist in me knows it will probably never get the top spot because it is ahead of the game and the player base is too specific.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by BadSpock

MMORPG.com should just stop doing lists like this.

They are always wrong.

Or right.

Or just off.

Or just on.

But man do they generate a lot of posts...

and thats why they do it.....

doing a list of best of 2013 in may? come on lol