Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to mmo's and female friendly. Suggestions?

HiddenxdragonHiddenxdragon Member UncommonPosts: 127

Hello all, 

I have 2 female friends who have became interested in playing mmo's.

I do believe World of Warcraft has caught there eye, but after playing for several years and realizing there is just far better mmo's out there I wanted other opinion's. So basically something that they can learn the genre from, and at the same time keep there attention. I do believe customization is pretty key, as they are females. A fairly decent community, and has either great over all game play  or leveling(No Grinding). F2P or P2P Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Comments

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172

I'd recommend Lord of the Rings Online for you girls. The community is awesome and tends to be more mature, so you shouldn't have to worry about the typical stupidity or immaturity from the little boys that think playing with girls is the most awesome mind-blowingly stupendous thing ever!!! OMG!! Or constantly be hitting on you 24/7.

The customization is good, you get "outfit" tabs which are cosmetic tabs for your character. You can equip cosmetic items in these outfit tabs which allow you to make your character look how you want. Along with lots of dyes. It's easy enough to get into as well, it's a great MMO to get involved with for people new to the genre.

There are a few others that might fit what you want to as well: RIFT, GW2 come to mind.

Best of luck finding a game! :D

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    LOTRO, but pay the monthly sub or you get nickel and dimed to death.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Second Life and Minecraft.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 and tsw would be strong on the customization bit.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    Even know I don't play lotro anymore the Kinship ((guild)) that I am in has 7 or so girls that play regularly lotro has a lot of outfit choices and the community is very good if you would like a kin invite start on the Firefoot server it is a Christian kin.
  • sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    My wife enjoyed LOTRO for the longest time as well as The Secret World and Rift.  I knew a lot of ladies who played Age of Conan as well

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83
    In the end, the game wont matter as much as the guild she is playing with.
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    gw2 or Tera .. thats what my gf enjoyed :)
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

GW2 is a favorite among my non-gamer female friends. Every time they catch me playing it they stop to look and say something like "wow, that's so pretty". They also seemed to love the platforming sections, because they played games like Commander Keen when they were little.

So, I'd recommend it. It's a great game overall and quite casual-friendly.

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    Originally posted by Alucardlb
    In the end, the game wont matter as much as the guild she is playing with.

^

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

SWtOR, RIFT, LotRO are the first 3 to come to mind.

I terms of community, LotRO is the best for women who want to avoid the constant adoration of boys. It also has a great story and the best level of customization out of the three.

SWtOR's community is hit & miss with the above regard, but it's story telling is top of the pyramid. It's customization level is average but it works.

RIFT's community is also hit & miss in my experience, but my server (Faeblight) was fantastic. It's customization is average as well (add in the f***ing weapon wardrobe slots already) and it's story is average. It does have the best graphics of the three though and it's class system trumps all.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

No game is "friendly " if you're just in open chat. Best thing to do in any game if you want them to feel welcome is join an active guild.

Some games are obviously worse than others when it comes to chat but generally public chat is pretty terrible.

wow is still probably the most noob friendly mmo. A bit expensive to buy all the content though.

• HiddenxdragonHiddenxdragon Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Thanks for all the feed back guys. I like the server and guild suggestions. Could I get some for GW2 and Rift? Any would be much appreciated. 
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by HlDDENdragon
    Thanks for all the feed back guys. I like the server and guild suggestions. Could I get some for GW2 and Rift? Any would be much appreciated. 

For GW2, any high-ish pop server will do. Your server only determines which side of World vs. World you're on, so it's not that big a deal. The most populated servers may be hard to get into, because creating characters on overpopulated servers isn't allowed.

For more info on how GW2's servers work, check these out:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_vs_world

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guesting#Guesting