Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 will be the big e-sport of 2013

Comments

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    I hope this isn't their solution for getting back all the players who have left.  GW1 was set up for competitive PVP from the start, GW2 is more about leveling and raid content.  Changing the design focus to PVP has NGE written all over it.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

UHH - GW1 was an esport when it came out. They even had one million dollar tournaments. So, yes, GW2 could be an esport. I think that it will be when GvG is brought out and that will be where the esport will live.

Currently, the way PvP stands, no.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

My main problem with GW2 sPvP is the game mode.  I'm just not a huge fan of the "all conquest all the time" philosophy they have with sPvP.

I LOVE the combat in GW2, I just wish the game modes would focus more on killing, and less on coordination, bunkering, and map control.  Like in LoL or other MOBA's, the game is primarily about killing.  If someone kills enough and gets fed, their team will usually win.

Yes, the coordination is there, but it's not as cumbersome as it is in GW2.  You can see everything your other team-mates can see all the time, so you don't need that constant verbal feed of what is going on to react correctly.  And once you understand how to play your "role" (solo mid, etc.) you can generally do pretty well without worrying about where everything is at all times, you just focus on the killing and skilled play.

So while I love PvP in GW2, I tend to do all of it in WvW where I can just focus on kills.  I would love if they made a sPvP game mode that focuses on KILLS and not on controlling points and dominating the map.

Right now, you can literally have double the kills as the other team and still lose just because they were better at running around the map and taking points.  I know that some people love that game mode, but it's just not for me.  And I think a lot of other players feel the same.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm playing planetside 2 and I hope it DOESN'T become an esport. I like it because it does one thing very well mass scale persistent pvp. Adding arena or whatever would dilute the product.
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Nah PS2 will never have an esport, it's not designed for that kind of thing. Battlefield 3 is hugely pupular yet EA/DICE doesn't seem the least interested in esport of any kind.

WoW pvp/arena... hahaha, didn't Blizzard admit arena was a mistake?

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    As it stands? No, I don't think so.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ClawzonClawzon Member UncommonPosts: 188

Oh please yes!!!  Yes! YES!!!  GW2 Go E-sport!!!

People!!! If you're good players, keep it it up! Play on!! You may get famous!

(hopefully folks with the E-sport mentallity will stay with this game then...)

My dream is that people with e-sport dreams will stay the heck out of my 3 online games and one of those are WoW, the two others I won't mention!    Go Go Go PLAY GW2 and leave the rest of us alone!!!  (we're having fun without you)

:)

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Ive found esport communities not bad, hwoever there must be extensive buffers in place (like lol jas implemented) to keep the mouthier people at bay. 

They need a observer function, one that is simple to use.

They need to increase map size. 

They need a way to turn down spell graphics, can be with observer mode.

they need to dump hot join completely and use a lol / starcraft system of joining. 

You need to be able to easy access the pvp, like literaly in the log on screen have a button that says "Pvp"

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

I thought I'd dig up this old post. So many naysayers, so many promises from Arenanet. Will GW2 become an esport?

I just found out what is coming this summer for GW2.

All I can say is:

E-SPORTS HERE WE COME

• fumoffu1fumoffu1 Member Posts: 32

they decided its big in esports so that must be the truth then.

lmao..the things they try to save this mmo.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    There's no way gw2 will be a bigger esport than lol, dota 2 or starcraft 2,.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by fumoffu1

they decided its big in esports so that must be the truth then.

lmao..the things they try to save this mmo.

As if GW2 needed any saving.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    not going to happen
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

I thought I'd dig up this old post. So many naysayers, so many promises from Arenanet. Will GW2 become an esport?

I just found out what is coming this summer for GW2.

All I can say is:

E-SPORTS HERE WE COME

Hmm the original OP was about GW2 being the biggest e-sport of 2013. That is a nice dream though. So naysayers are still right.

As far as necro is concerned...

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

I don't think the format is that good for esports.

They could do something more interesting.

And GW1 GvG isn't the solution either.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

Yea man GW2 e-sports ! So many people excited! So many people interested! 

Those 203 views on twitch man! Biggest E-Sports game 2013! Pff let's see League of Legends try and bit that with their 140k views on average or wow with their 1000 views on average!

Yea no, GW2 will never become a big esports for  5 simple reasons. 

1) It's boring to watch, one thing that has been stated time and time again the clustersmash of particle effects makes the game uninteresting and impossible to follow.  

2) Inaccessible

3) The game has a high skill cap but a low skill ceiling. Various top players have mentioned this, and many left because of this and many more will. 

4)Lack of diversity in builds, playstyle and pvp types. All of the classes expect Ele, Eng and Ranger can play up to one role in competitive play, the terribly build trait system locks professions into set roles.

5)Spvp, is on deaths door with the majority of people PVEing and having no interest in spvp why because it's boring. 

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by NaMeNaMe

Those 203 views on twitch man! Biggest E-Sports game 2013! Pff let's see League of Legends try and bit that with their 140k views on average or wow with their 1000 views on average!

1) It's boring to watch, one thing that has been stated time and time again the clustersmash of particle effects makes the game uninteresting and impossible to follow.  

2) Inaccessible

3) The game has a high skill cap but a low skill ceiling. Various top players have mentioned this, and many left because of this and many more will. 

4)Lack of diversity in builds, playstyle and pvp types. All of the classes expect Ele, Eng and Ranger can play up to one role in competitive play, the terribly build trait system locks professions into set roles.

5)Spvp, is on deaths door with the majority of people PVEing and having no interest in spvp why because it's boring. 

Maybe you dont realise how old this thread is NaMeNaMe.

2) Inaccessible

Hmm?

Skill cap and skill ceiling are the same thing.

Game has a low skill floor, build stagnation and format give the impression it has a lower skill ceiling than it actually has.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

2) Inaccessible

Hmm?

Skill cap and skill ceiling are the same thing.

Game has a low skill floor, build stagnation and format give the impression it has a lower skill ceiling than it actually has.

They are not :) maybe i should of said learning curve instead of skill cap. 

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

A few things:

- Biggest *new* esport of 2013

- GW2 is a great game guys, just play it and stop crying

Also

If you knew what was coming this summer, you would start finding good tourney partners right away before the rush begins.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

A few things:

Also

If you knew what was coming this summer, you would start finding good tourney partners right away before the rush begins.

I saw that they are doing a tourney soon with MMORPG...is there something else that I am missing?

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    This game had its chance and it is done. It will never be an e-sport. Not this year. Not next year. There is no interest.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

A few things:

Also

Well played. 

Biggest 'new' means nothing when there is hardly anything new in esport to compete with.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Vorch

A few things:

Also

I saw that they are doing a tourney soon with MMORPG...is there something else that I am missing?

You gonna watch it?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

Lies. The devs talk way to much crap. They promised an E-Sport at launch, then left it to the community to keep track of server match ups, rankings, and pretty much left it to players and their podcasts and websites to promote the battles. It was ok for the first 3 months of the game, but after no help from Anet to stir people up, only getting so much as a server ranking list out of them...it got old. Not only that but they ignored the competitive players for months that begged them to end free server transfers or at least close transfers to high population servers so that people couldn't just move to the winning server. It downplayed the victories of the top server and made things hopelessly unfair for weaker servers. Too little too late guys. They've done little to enhance the pvp experience, removing relics from WvW, making SM easier to take...barely adding any maps to SPVP...but with class imbalances it takes someone with the patience of a saint to play that (or a thief). GW2 will never be an E-Sport. Nobody cares, nobody on twitch is watching GW2. All the big alliances and top pvp guilds from other games left almost a year ago. 

(Sorry MMORPG.com for getting suckered into sponsoring that event coming up. Hope it goes good for you.)

BTW, these are all facts, so argue if you want, it won't change anything. You're just doing free promotion for a crappy game.