Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hundred MMORPG's avaliable that fail to attract me...

From 2D to 3D,from F2P/B2P/P2P and private hosted, action or fps oriented, I end up visiting forums like these for the last couple of months, but no luck.

It sucks the most that I have $ to play anything, but there is absolutely nothing that I can see myself immersed and addicted to for years ahead. Good thing I can find other ways to kill time beside gaming, but it's indeed sad state for gamers in general.

I believe I'll just have to wait 1 more year max before at least one of those MMORPG's below delivers, all around overall great game without major bugs or flawed security system.

Dragon Prophet

Black Desert

The Repopulation

FFXIV: Realm Reborn

Wildstar

ArcheAge

Everquest Next

World of Darkness

Bliss

Phantasy Star Online 2

Blade & Soul

Divergence Online

Shroud of the Avatar

Elder Scroll Online

Who else is in the same boat? If I would force myself to play anything just to avoid being gameless it would most likely be back to WOW and continue to get ripped, while that CEO Bobby Kotick makes more than $64.9 million from last year along. At least WOW knows how to bring a community together and deliver high quality PvE that will continue to be updates on a schedule.

I tried to play multiple mini MMORPG's at the same time to fill the gap, but that never worked for me. On side note, I was one of those 1.3 million who deserted WOW, and probably earlier than most (quit December 12th 2012), but I'm just really really curious if there is actually a better MMORPG to migrate to.

I've seen enough hate on these forums about WOW, but I dare anyone to mention one MMORPG with a better endgame design and content out there.

Starcraft oldschool aka wise/04. SWG/UO aka Wise HeRo, Light Jedi Knight pre-cu (Bria)

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

What you need is to find a website that does reviews of games and includes a lot of word-of-mouth so you can get a sense of what a game's strengths and weaknesses are before you install it.

I wonder where you could find that?  Oh wait ...

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by xKopogerox
    I've seen enough hate on these forums about WOW, but I dare anyone to mention one MMORPG with a better endgame design and content out there.

I'm just not 'wowified' anymore. I actually don't think it offers an anymore special or diverse endgame than anything else on the market.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

So you quit WOW 5 months ago but you still feel obliged to point-out its good points?

You, sir, are exhibiting classic symptoms of  withdrawal. Just stick with it, it gets easier with time.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Millions of us are in the same boat. Money to spend on gaming but no games worth our time. RL is flourishing, so I suppose I should be thankful. But I do miss gaming.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

Problem is 50% are wow clones.20% are substandard. 20% pay2win.8% bugged to death . 2% worth playing but already played them too much.

My recomned list: eve online,ultima online, guild wars 2, ragnarok online 1 (ro2 is yet another wow clone).

Might be good: blade and soul.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

It sucks the most that I have $ to play anything, but there is absolutely nothing that I can see myself immersed and addicted to for years ahead. Good thing I can find other ways to kill time beside gaming, but it's indeed sad state for gamers in general.

That is your problem.

In fact, you said HUNDREDS of MMORPGs are available. Even if each can entertain you for a month, and even if there are only 100 (which is of course the low end of  "hundreds"), that will last you 8+ years.

You can the bonus of having multiple gaming experiences.

Personally, i think the state of MMORPG gaming is great.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

From 2D to 3D,from F2P/B2P/P2P and private hosted, action or fps oriented, I end up visiting forums like these for the last couple of months, but no luck.

I believe I'll just have to wait 1 more year max before at least one of those MMORPG's below delivers, all around overall great game without major bugs or flawed security system.

Dragon Prophet

Black Desert

The Repopulation

FFXIV: Realm Reborn

Wildstar

ArcheAge

Everquest Next

World of Darkness

Bliss

Phantasy Star Online 2

Blade & Soul

Divergence Online

Shroud of the Avatar

Elder Scroll Online

Who else is in the same boat? If I would force myself to play anything just to avoid being game less it would most likely be back to WOW and continue to get ripped, while that CEO Bobby Kotick makes more than $64.9 million from last year along. At least WOW knows how to bring a community together and deliver high quality PvE that will continue to be updates on a schedule.

I tried to play multiple mini MMORPG's at the same time to fill the gap, but that never worked for me. On side note, I was one of those 1.3 million who deserted WOW, and probably earlier than most (quit December 12th 2012), but I'm just really really curious if there is actually a better MMORPG to migrate to.

I hate to break it to you but Phantasy Star Online 2 is more of the same. It's all instanced. Some of these games I've played have an NDA but I'll just say this... If you're looking for something different the ones I've tried don't do anything new.

Smile

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

I really enjoy playing MMORPGs.  I don't really watch TV, I do a lot of other things with my free time, but there's that space of time when I get home from work and want to just unwind a bit, that a large portion of people fill with TV.  I fill that time with these games.  I enjoy it so much that I am willing to compromise in order to still have my hobby. 

I am also less than impressed with most games and the direction that the genre is heading, but not upset enough about it to quit doing something that I enjoy.  I tend to over think things and analyze everything to a fault, so this is what I did.

I made a list of the things that I like about these games.  For me, it was open world, group content, slower leveling pace.  Whatever, that's not important since this is about you. 

Then I made a list of the things that I dislike about these games (yes I'm one of those guys that makes pros and cons lists for just about everything)  This is less of a "minor cons" list and more of a "deal breaker" list.  What absolutely drives you to rage quit and uninstall a game? 

Now, the key here is to compromise!  There is obviously not going to be a game that fits nice and neatly into what you want, because if there was you would be playing it.  Basically take a your list and decide what you can live without from list 1 and what you can deal with from list 2.  Then use that to make the most informed decision possible. 

I was actually surprised by my list.  For example, I didn't have graphics listed at all.  Good luck!

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

It's extremely unlikely any of the games on your list will satisfy you, if none of the hundreds of existing MMORPGs satisfies you.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531

Agree with you, but unlike you I want something better than WoW. If you like WoW so much, you'd like all these wow clones.

So many people are waiting for a new MMO with meat. All this money just sitting around waiting to be spent. What to game devs put out? More instanced bull shit with crap 1 click crafting and teleport you everywhere crap. Dungeons you can sleep through and survive. Friggin glitter quest paths that lead you directly to the shinies. WTF man even KIDS are sick of this sh**!

STOP BUILDING SH**TY GAMES FOR 5 YEAR OLDS, AND BUILD US A MAN'S GAME!

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by nethervoid

BUILD US A MAN'S GAME!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gameon.cfm/cast/40

And we'll call it irony. 

Just thought it was funny, not trying to give you too hard of a time.

• nethervoidnethervoid Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Tjed
    Originally posted by nethervoid

BUILD US A MAN'S GAME!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gameon.cfm/cast/40

And we'll call it irony. 

Just thought it was funny, not trying to give you too hard of a time.

lol OK A WOMAN'S GAME! lol I don't care just not a game for brainless kids who can't pay attention long enough to tie their shoes let alone invest in a character in a persistent world for years!

Damn and that was a good rant. lol

nethervoid - Est. '97
    [UO|EQ|SB|SWG|PS|HZ|EVE|NWN|WoW|VG|DF|SWTOR|SotA|BDO]
    24k subs YouTube Gaming channel

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I felt the same way as the OP, but I think the key is something different. I think the key is socialization. If you restarted a game as good as WoW you wouldn't get the same feel right away that's because a lot of what WoW had was guild/friend based, the socialization factor. It's not unique to WoW, but that's your start point so that's how you see it.

The game is 60%, the social factor is 40%. Both need to develop, but by far the social aspect takes longer and more patience. To give a game a real chance you have to join the culture, either through guilds or friends/groups. If you don't jump in with both feet you'll never find that feeling again.

The first thing most people that spread from WoW do is to play the game solo. Nothing wrong with solo if that's what you like, but it's dipping your toe in the water without getting used to it and it'll always be cold. Jump in with both feet instead, join a guild on day one or form a guild and advertise it as DayOne or something. If you build it they will come.

Many games won't be for you, but any game is fun if you find the right people to play with.

Asdar

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

You're starting to believe your own bullshtako, Kopo. ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Axehilt

It's extremely unlikely any of the games on your list will satisfy you, if none of the hundreds of existing MMORPGs satisfies you.

Ding! We have a winnar.

If it's not Just Like WoW, if fails to satisfy, If it is Just Like WoW, gotta hate it for being a 'clone'.

That's...not going to leave much wiggle room.

Maybe the problem is the perception that a game must "immerse and addict". The same reason a lot of dating ladies make themselves unhappy trying to find Superman, instead of a guy who's Only Human.

• xKopogeroxxKopogerox Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Antiquated

Ding! We have a winnar.

If it's not Just Like WoW, if fails to satisfy, If it is Just Like WoW, gotta hate it for being a 'clone'.

That's...not going to leave much wiggle room.

Maybe the problem is the perception that a game must "immerse and addict". The same reason a lot of dating ladies make themselves unhappy trying to find Superman, instead of a guy who's Only Human.

If I was a 5-6 year old, yes I would've been more than satisfied with 80% of MMORPG's available, but that's not the case. Experience is a double edged sword. I might enjoy far less than I used to, but I get to save far more $ and do something else, while in same time I help everyone else by letting companies know that there are mature, veteran gamers out there that they also need to aim for, not just the kiddies.

There is no limit what one can do and develop in a MMOPRG, unfortunately most MMORPG's these days are the opposite, cuz companies are small and understaffed with tight schedules and that's not sufficient to deliver a traditional, all around great MMORPG that we used to have earlier on.

I believe Blizzard next MMORPG and possible Everquest Next with World of Darkness are the only hope for the genre. Unfortunately, all these titles are far off from release so ArcheAge will have the best opportunity to grab a big chunk of the playerbase and get a fair shot at success.

Starcraft oldschool aka wise/04. SWG/UO aka Wise HeRo, Light Jedi Knight pre-cu (Bria)

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

I believe Blizzard next MMORPG and possible Everquest Next with World of Darkness are the only hope for the genre. Unfortunately, all these titles are far off from release so ArcheAge will have the best opportunity to grab a big chunk of the playerbase and get a fair shot at success.

Well, appears you haven't quite run out of hope yet, after all.

What will you do if that last tiny glimmer of hope fails, too?
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

If I was a 5-6 year old, yes I would've been more than satisfied with 80% of MMORPG's available, but that's not the case. Experience is a double edged sword. I might enjoy far less than I used to, but I get to save far more $ and do something else, while in same time I help everyone else by letting companies know that there are mature, veteran gamers out there that they also need to aim for, not just the kiddies.

There is no limit what one can do and develop in a MMOPRG, unfortunately most MMORPG's these days are the opposite, cuz companies are small and understaffed with tight schedules and that's not sufficient to deliver a traditional, all around great MMORPG that we used to have earlier on.

You seem to have two rather, um, unusual beliefs:

1. All existing MMORPGs are for 5-6 year olds.
    2. The upcoming games you list will be very different from those MMORPGs.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

You seem to have two rather, um, unusual beliefs:

1. All existing MMORPGs are for 5-6 year olds.
    2. The upcoming games you list will be very different from those MMORPGs.

1. The "5-6 year olds" was an accurate metaphor used, but again it does require certain IQ to see that.

2. They have far better chance they will be. These MMORPG's come from proven company with the experience to deliver such MMORPG's. It seems you missed the statement that was made by Smedly on Everquest Next as well as CCP's last presentation of what they intend to do with World of Darkness.

What we have here is a WOW fan and MMO hipster feigning an existential depression triggered by not having any games to play that are as good as WOW was when he liked it and before he quit.

Nothing you suggest will interest him because he already knows much better than you (he thinks) that nothing is worth playing except the imaginary MMOs yet to be released.

It's just a more sophisticated than usual trolling thread... kudos to the OP for not being too obvious.

What do you say we just let his thread die?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

What we have here is a WOW fan and MMO hipster feigning an existential depression triggered by not having any games to play that are as good as WOW was when he liked it and before he quit.

Nothing you suggest will interest him because he already knows much better than you (he thinks) that nothing is worth playing except the imaginary MMOs yet to be released.

It's just a more sophisticated than usual trolling thread... kudos to the OP for not being too obvious.

You should check out dictionary.com more often. You are misusing words like "depression", "fan", and "trolling".

Speaking of trolling, replays that do not require effort and offending the OP when lacking the ability to respond in a positive manner to the actual questions asked in the specific thread is exactly the behavior of a troll.

I strongly recommend you think twice before you spam these forums with replays that are derailing threads for the purpose to shut them down when you disagree with something, which you already admit yourself in your last statement.

Before you continue trolling my thread, read it again carefully and try to respond to what was asked or don't bother responding if you gonna troll more. It only makes you look bad.

On a side I was blessed with exceptional experience and strong interest in contrary to your statement "nothing will interest me" with MMORPG's like Ultima Online, SWG Pre-CU and for some period WOW. The market itself speaks how much its impressed by how scattered the playerbase over the last few years is and how frequent players hop through MMORPG's.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Another my standards are so high I can't lower myself down to the lvl of playing any of this garbage but I'll sit on forums all day complaining about it rather than just accept it and go do something else with my life.

Originally posted by DamonVile

Another my standards are so high I can't lower myself down to the lvl of playing any of this garbage but I'll sit on forums all day complaining about it rather than just accept it and go do something else with my life.

Being active on forums is one way to help genre evolve in the right direction. I'm very thankful to so many posters over the years who've been helpful enough with their insight and thanks to that I've dodged the bullet many times and saved $ as well as time.

After thousands of post one could think you would be capable to replay to a threads without making pathetic attempts at mocking OP's, but I guess everyone at their own pace. If I did actually follow your "advice" I would indeed do something else than that with my time.

Originally posted by Iselin

You should check out dictionary.com more often. You are misusing words like "depression", "fan", and "trolling".

Speaking of trolling, replays that do not require effort and offending the OP when lacking the ability to respond in a positive manner to the actual questions asked in the specific thread is exactly the behavior of a troll.

I strongly recommend you think twice before you spam these forums with replays that are derailing threads for the purpose to shut them down when you disagree with something, which you already admit yourself in your last statement.

Before you continue trolling my thread, read it again carefully and try to respond to what was asked or don't bother responding if you gonna troll more. It only makes you look bad.

The only thing that even resembles a question in your OP is "who's with me?" and 2 or 3 equally eager to to demonstrate their superior taste by bashing everything agreed with you. But your only responses in the thread have been to disagree with those who don't agree with you and re-state your disdain for games that could only possibly appeal to "5-6 year olds" i.e, anyone who disagrees with you is an immature child.

"Feigned existential depression" fits you and all bored MMO hipsters in this site like a glove. Perhaps something other than dictionary dot.com might give you some insight about that one particular form of depression known as existential.

And yes, you walk like a duck and talk like a duck so you must be a duck.

Let me explain it to you: what you're telling us ids that if we don't share your jaded opinion about MMOs we are unsophisticated children. That is the basic premise of all of you who continuously post this same bullshit on this site under different titles.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    I played almost everything on offer but Anarchy Online my first MMO had me hooked, ever since they were just short infatuations. Bit like women when I think about it :)
This discussion has been closed.