Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

easy to learn, hard to master game

Vion1xVion1x nakskovPosts: 188Member

Hello folks.

I'm looking for a game, that don't req. any sort of grind and it don't really have to be an mmo at all. However i'm looking for a game that is easy to play, yet hard to master. Some past games that kept me over a long periode of time that had that concept, like ... Trackmania, League of legends, Quake live. I'm not looking for a fps game tho, and since pve aint really hard to master (as AI is "dumb") then its most likely a pvp game im looking for.

Any suggestions? :)

edit: said with other words, im looking for a game with great dept in player skills!

• VorchVorch Somewhere, FLPosts: 800Member

I think you are looking for Tekken! Excellent fighting game!

It the world of RPGs, I would suggest the  GW1, EVE, Dark Souls, and then GW2.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• ScalplessScalpless SnowballvillePosts: 1,396Member Uncommon

Devil May Cry 3/4

Dark Souls

Civilization 4

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 9,034Member Rare

Easy to learn, hard to master - this was the design principle behind Stracraft.

Lots of other games (mostly RTS and MOBAs) follow this basic principle. 

These genres would be your best bet.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLPosts: 890Member Uncommon

Vendetta Online:

You can be proficient in combat in about a month.  However, it takes years to master some of the techniques.  There are no artificial skills; everything depends on the player.

Before you object: Vendetta Online is not a first-person shooter... it's more like an Aikido / Samurai simulation in space.

"To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
    Authored 131 missions in Vendetta Online
    Check it out on Steam

• PAL-18PAL-18 AnachronoxPosts: 805Member Uncommon

Counter Strikes , TF2 and Atlantica Online and dozens of C64 and amiga games ,Kick Offs / Sensible Soccers to name a few.

for ultimate challenge :

oh and of course Roguelikes  : which is absolutely fantastic.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.
    By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar:**

• GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnPosts: 2,488Member Uncommon
    I am beggining to sound like a broken record :).

The Secret World. It takes quite some finesse to master the ability wheel. That and you can have Hardcore PvP if you go in starter PvP equipment vs enemies in the Purple equipment. :)

Also, all strategies(I love Dawn of War series, tho Starcraft is great if you don't mind shamelessly copied 40k-I DO mind).

Of MOBAs, I'd suggest lol as an entry level MOBA, Smite as a fun, yet different MOBA, DoTA 2, well I wouldn't recommend her and my personal recommendation would be Heroes of Newerth. But care! It. Is. Hard.

• Breaking123Breaking123 SarajevoPosts: 40Member
    I would say Bloodline Champions. Give it a shot, it is a great game.
  • StuddleyStuddley Scottville, MIPosts: 37Member
    BloodBowl II is easy to get into but hard to master. It has a pretty friendly player base too. With public leagues & a lot of private leagues. You can even hire a wizard to cast a fireball from the stands and kill an Elf before he scores. I think it is $20 on Steam, so no big investment.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member

world of tanks

smite ( because you played lol )

These are all mostly mobas because most of them fit the easy to learn hard to master.

• NetSageNetSage Lake Geneva, WIPosts: 1,040Member Uncommon
    A MOBA would be a good choice.  My choice is DOTA2 but LoL and HoN aren't the worst game ever made.  Or, as someone else said RTS is good too.