Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archeage... are we going to see a new publisher step up (doom and gloom included)

CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

With the recent layoffs over at Trion Worlds and the not so good performance of Defiance does Trion Worlds have the capacity of manpower and funds now to finish a proper translation of Archeage for the west?

I personally think no and another publisher will have to step up (wait thats the title DUH!). The conversion of Rift will likely get some interest from ex-players and people who haven't played before but as the game is really outdated and mediocre (personal view don't shoot me) this interest will be very short lived and the game will sink back to its present situation quite quickly.DEfiance seems to need a lot of work and is not creating any real buzz with the TV crowd.

As a fan of Korean and Asian MMO's I'd like to see this conversion done properly and not rushed and with the lackluster performance of Trion Worlds games Rift, Defiance and the shelved End Of Nations this might be the case to try an inject some needed cash into an ailing company. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new high caffiene soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Calerxes

With the recent layoffs over at Trion Worlds and the not so good performance of Defiance does Trion Worlds have the capacity of manpower and funds now to finish a proper translation of Archeage for the west?

I personally think no and another publisher will have to step up (wait thats the title DUH!). The conversion of Rift will likely get some interest from ex-players and people who haven't played before but as the game is really outdated and mediocre (personal view don't shoot me) this interest will be very short lived and the game will sink back to its present situation quite quickly.DEfiance seems to need a lot of work and is not creating any real buzz with the TV crowd.

As a fan of Korean and Asian MMO's I'd like to see this conversion done properly and not rushed and with the lackluster performance of Trion Worlds games Rift, Defiance and the shelved End Of Nations this might be the case to try an inject some needed cash into an ailing company. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new high caffiene soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

your maybe reading too mch into the layoffs at trion..its inevitable that companies lay off people after release of a game..they always downsize.its too early in defiances release to come to a conclusion if its a failure or not..i suppose time will tell.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Be careful what you wish for...

I'm sure if the price is low enough, someone like PerfectWorld will be delighted to add AA to their growing stable of F2P titles...

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by kevjards

your maybe reading too mch into the layoffs at trion..its inevitable that companies lay off people after release of a game..they always downsize.its too early in defiances release to come to a conclusion if its a failure or not..i suppose time will tell.

Downsizing so early into release of game when they have scheduled DLC releases? why more successful games like GW2 never downsize. Something to think about.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    It will be interesting to see how the F2P conversion does in Rift.  It should inject at least some cash into the company and that can only be good for AA.  I guess I'm not as "doom and gloom" and a little more optimistic because I like Trion worlds.  Rift is a good game.  It's certainly not what I'm holding out for in a title that will keep me entertained for years, but it's a solid game that I have had fun in for a few months at a time several times.  I just always liked Trion worlds approach to their customers.  I haven't played Defiance because I'm just not much of an FPS fan, so maybe you're right and I think too highly of Trion worlds.  I guess I'm in the glass half full camp on AA being done by Trion worlds, because I can think of a lot of companies that would be lower on my list. 
  • faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by kevjards

excatly, people should stop talk about doom glooms when clearly this is the reason, game finished production no need to keep full team on it for possible expansions and future updates.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by DMKano

Ridiculous speculation, delivers on doom and gloom, but fails in reality.

Dev studios trim the temps, contractors and redundant positions post launch. Defiance had a hard launch date on 3 platforms, the number of staff hired was simply too high to maintain. The last couple of months prior to launch, they were still hiring aggressively.

One little fact that is missing, Defiance is out of San Diego, AA will be localized out of Redwood city which had no layoffs this time.

But ignore all this, lets all go back to making up more drama.

Or we could make up phony friends from San Diego with the skinny on whats happening to Trion Worlds which contradicts the major MMO news sites?

I tried to inject a bit of light hearted "doom and gloom" flavour into a speculation thread as I'm not really that doom and gloom laden. But my opinion is that Trion Worlds haven't been doing well for a while and investors like to have a return on their investments. Last year Raptr did a Rift giveaway similar to the recent one and I thought I'd give the game a second chance and see if the pop was good, its was dead and only had a few hundred players playing at peak on a "medium" server and that was a high pop server and only one other English EU server hit medium. My suspicions where started then but I thought maybe Defiance & End Of Nations would pull them around. 

That was until End Of Nations was effectively canceled and I got into Defiance beta and saw the problems there which were then reported in many threads and reviews around the web. The Defiance forum here is dead and for a newly released game that is terrible you get more posts in the TOR, TSW and GW2 forums. I only observe and try to use some common sense to predict the future and I always could be wrong but for me the signs are not good and unless Rift f2p changes Trion Worlds fortunes its going to have an affect on Archeage.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Pfft 

Could be worse Archeage could be in the hands of SOE

Originally posted by psiic

Pfft 

Might be in the hands of no-one soon... pfft

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Be careful what you wish for...

I'm sure if the price is low enough, someone like PerfectWorld will be delighted to add AA to their growing stable of F2P titles...

*Shutter..... Not PW!

I would love to see anyone else other than PW to publish this. I actually would love to play this game when it comes out in the US. I play Neverwinter right now, but because of the massive cash shop pricing and a few other things I do not see myself playing Neverwinter on a regular basis after a month or 2. I would rather see ArchAge go pay2play or sub based than the pick-my-pockets-dry f2p models.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Pfft 

I heard they publish great games. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    I still feel that Ncsoft should be publishing it.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

shouldnt fan of asian games wish for half assed translation so game is least changed?

there are games created by solo devs that sometims rivals those studios with 100+, in reality translating isnt hard, one translator, one half assed proramer than can copy paste and you are set

only reason studios take years to translate is because of gamers like you, unable to accept differnt cultures or point of view, or that you would fail to understand a meaning in something if it wasnt done in familiar manner , and this whiny topic just proves it

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

but what company is worthy of publishing game like this,which is pretty much UO 2000 ?

NASA ?

Warner Bros ?

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    I still feel that Ncsoft should be publishing it.

No no no, let EA publish it
    (Trollface.jpg)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Pfft 

Nah, I think EA will step-up and save them just like they saved Mythic and Bioware image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by PAL-18

but what company is worthy of publishing game like this,which is pretty much UO 2000 ?NASA ?Warner Bros ? 

UO 2000? It's a Sandpark mmo

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by PAL-18

but what company is worthy of publishing game like this,which is pretty much UO 2000 ?

NASA ?

Warner Bros ?

UO 2000? It's a THEMEPARK mmo

themepark 2000 in few words,here it comes.

name your character.pres 1 to kill mob,ding and get max level and gear.

is AA like that ? i dont think so.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

This might be the most ridiculous post i have ever seen.  Yes they layed off people after production of a major release finished.   You don't need a full team to produce DLCs.   The show has created buzz in the TV crowd.   It got renewed after 3? 4? episodes for another season.   It is SyFy's highest rated show and the game has over a million accounts in just 2 months.   Just simple math excluding freebies and such, that's 60 million dollars within 2 months of release.  Not to account in for cash shop items (which many people buy, my guild always has 5 or 6 people activating boosts weekly), DLC season passes, and collector edition versions of the game.   I would not be surprised if they have raked in 100 million dollars already.  Sure this is no WoW standard, but by all means this is a GREAT start to a successful MMO.

So tell me again why Trion Worlds would drop AA?

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

Originally posted by Daranar

This might be the most ridiculous post i have ever seen.  Yes they layed off people after production of a major release finished.   You don't need a full team to produce DLCs.   The show has created buzz in the TV crowd.   It got renewed after 3? 4? episodes for another season.   It is SyFy's highest rated show and the game has over a million accounts in just 2 months.   Just simple math excluding freebies and such, that's 60 million dollars within 2 months of release.  Not to account in for cash shop items (which many people buy, my guild always has 5 or 6 people activating boosts weekly), DLC season passes, and collector edition versions of the game.   I would not be surprised if they have raked in 100 million dollars already.  Sure this is no WoW standard, but by all means this is a GREAT start to a successful MMO.

You were doing well 'til that little faux pas, Defiance has had 1 million REGISTRATIONS which is meaningless unless they all bought the game but then Trion would have said 1 million games sold, Trion are good with mincing words. Though it shows it works you fell for it. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/loadNews/27505

Then you really screw it up with the common mistake of 60x 1 million equals $60 million to Trion from box sales, I'll let you think about that one. But then why would Trion get rid of a large chunk of their dev team if they were rolling in it as you seem to think they are?

Its not that Trion will drop AA its that XL Games (AA's Korean develepers) will want a more capital rich company to take it on for them, its out of Trion's hands really.

I'm up for NASA taking it on.. image

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I still remember what doom and gloom it was when BioWare laid off employees 6 months after release of SWTOR having the same argument, that it does not need that many employee for future development, nobody here believed it this statement,

Why TRION should be treated differently. image

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

I'm up for NASA taking it on.. image

Hahaa me too! me too!

Its going to be a shock to the system (Billy Idol)

There will be lots of people having question marks hovering over their heads ? what ? no more dumbing down ? what is this sorcery ?

and who can handle that mess if not NASA!! its like finding new life from outer space.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I still remember what doom and gloom it was when BioWare laid off employees 6 months after release of SWTOR having the same argument, that it does not need that many employee for future development, nobody here believed it this statement,

Why TRION should be treated differently. image

TOR flopped or they didn't hit their targets if you will, heads rolled, development was teams were cut but TOR is a decent game that had the backing of the second biggest western game developer to turn it around. F2p ensued and the ship was steadied but what has Trion got backing them? after such poor showing with 3 games? But I agree this situation should be treated equally for all games.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    They're just translating the game, not making it. Even if we assume Defiance underperformed, they have more than enough manpower to translate a single MMO. Besides, AA is probably their most promising title at the moment, so they are likely to put some effort into it.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Translating a game or any software for that matter is not as easy as going to Google translate and changing some strings.

Originally posted by Kuppa
    Translating a game or any software for that matter is not as easy as going to Google translate and changing some strings.

Thats probably why Tera and Aion took a year extra to appear in the west.