Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Arche Age Officially Ruined

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by coretex666

WoW has choppers.

I guess it is also officially ruined.

Where do these titles even come from. I understand when someone says it breaks immersion, but making a thread called "Arche Age Officially Ruined" is a bit strong reaction.

I think a big difference there is that the lore in WoW has always had some element of technology in it, with things like gyrocoptors and stuff.

As far as I know, Arch Age doesn't really have any "lore" established.  At least nothing that mentioned hot rod cars...  Combined with the fact that they have kind of advertised it as being this open-world fantasy setting, I think disappointement and confusion makes sense.

At this point, the game looks less like an MMO, and more like a competitor to Second Life or Perfect World.

You make me like charity

• dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon
    Does this mean that mobs will drop crankshafts and fuel injectors?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by asmkm22

WoW has choppers.

Where do these titles even come from. I understand when someone says it breaks immersion, but making a thread called "Arche Age Officially Ruined" is a bit strong reaction.

I think a big difference there is that the lore in WoW has always had some element of technology in it, with things like gyrocoptors and stuff.

As far as I know, Arch Age doesn't really have any "lore" established.  At least nothing that mentioned hot rod cars...  Combined with the fact that they have kind of advertised it as being this open-world fantasy setting, I think disappointement and confusion makes sense.

At this point, the game looks less like an MMO, and more like a competitor to Second Life or Perfect World.

I completely agree with red part.

As for green, I said I understand when people say it breaks immersion. It does for me a little as well. I prefer pure fantasy unless technology is well incorporated in lore like in WoW.

The main point of my post was to express my opinion on the title of the thread and the way OP interprets his disappointment.

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by shifue

WoW has choppers.

Never played wow but good comparison.Even then there is steam punk styled stuff in the game before the car so i just don't see the big deal or how it breaks immersion.I mean again got to state the tractors,gilders,and the airships and even the steam boat added to.Honestly i like the fresh appoarch

It is matter of subjective preference I guess. While you like it, some other people may hate it which is fine.

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• wordizwordiz Eugene, ORPosts: 464Member
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by wordiz
    Wow, blown away at how many people expect a fantasy game to be rooted in reality. As if this game being steampunkish was a secret.

The people that scratch their head as to why no AAA devs make a sandbox-focused MMO should print this thread out and nail it to their wall.  Not only is there little or no agreement among the sandbox crowd as to what may constitute a good sandbox game, the minute something is introduced that a sandbox fan doesn't like, they reject the game almost in its entirety as a result of it. It's a crowd so fickle and polarized that it's almost pointless to try developing a new game for them.

Though you can't really blame a lot of them.  The word "Sandbox" has been used quite often lately just to sell games, and to date I've yet to see a Sandbox since Ultima Online / SWG / Eve and a few lesser ones that didn't have the money behind it to make them really shine.  Then there are people who don't work on a project that perpetuate the notion of Sandbox to describe their game.

In truth it's gamers in general that do this.  If you see Themeparks that come out and try a new thing, they get torn a new one.  Then if it's "more of the same", then they still get ripped into.  At least when it comes to Sandboxes, most have a right to be angry when a game that claims to be Sandbox isn't.  Though it is true that many have different viewpoints on what makes a sandbox a sandbox.

I've read some people claim WoW is the ultimate sandbox simply because of the world PvP.  Which makes me wonder if these people have played a real Sandbox game in their life; many who say they want sandboxes may not even know what constitutes such as most MMORPG players entered with World of Warcraft before MMOs were "mainstream" (in that most never got funded because they weren't all that popular).  

Honestly I think most are just waiting for another UO when it comes to fantasy Sandboxes.  Then you have to consider the PvE sandbox crowd and the PvP and mix/match them with different servers or zones that allow specific behavior.  After than you have to look at the world you created and the setting you've advertised and see if something is out of place for the crowd that enjoys immersion (true for Themepark or Sandbox).  These are just fundamental things when constructing a MMORPG and not Sandbox exclusive.  In these stages you are prone to lose customers, but not analyzing them you will likely lose much more.

Then again, why can't we just play a game like it's a game and have fun without worrying about things?  Why does one small detail deter a large group of people?  To many these are living and breathing worlds of sorts.  Immersion is very important as such.  There has to be context for something to exist; in a space like game with technology you would expect star ships of sorts.  In addition MMOs tend to cost more for the player, so it's held in higher regard.  There was a quote on these forums a few hours ago in that "the fool easily relinquished his money" or some such.  Many want that elusive "perfect" game before they are willing to pay a monthly fee (I.E. "is this game worth a monthly fee?|  That we see around the forums at times).  The more money a genre asks, the more stingy people become and expect from it.

Wouldn't that be nice.

• shifueshifue asheville, NCPosts: 7Member
    Originally posted by shifue

WoW has choppers.

Never played wow but good comparison.Even then there is steam punk styled stuff in the game before the car so i just don't see the big deal or how it breaks immersion.I mean again got to state the tractors,gilders,and the airships and even the steam boat added to.Honestly i like the fresh appoarch

It is matter of subjective preference I guess. While you like it, some other people may hate it which is fine.

I agree to i can understand not liking something i get that there was stuff i did not like in a few games but i still gave it a chance and loved most of these games.I just laugh though when tech is showing to be part of the game(ie tractors/gliders that go fully invisible) but a car pisses everyone off i just don't understand that part lol.

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

It's not that the cars were the one thing that "ruined" the game for me. 

First, for me the game is not ruined. It's just not on my radar any more.

Second, the cars are a culmination of many things that I didn't like: anime style, tractors, high heals, foppish clothing, hairstyles, hair products in the male characters' hair, etc. The cars and the lame music accompanying that scene were just the icing on the cake that told me, "this game is not for you."

I'm totally fine with it and I hope AA is successful for being different and doing its own thing. It's not successful in Korea, however, based on the rankings there and what I have heard about games. It's sad that Aion is more popular than AA. That doesn't bode well for the NA/EU release unless major changes are made. The cars, etc.? Who knows if that will make it or not. Or if it will even matter.

About WoW, yes there are many things I didn't like: gyrocopters, choppers, etc. I just ignored them. The game was just a joke. I accepted it because I did appreciate WoW's sense of humor, to some extent. Other things bothered me like Tauren Paladins, etc. But who cares now? I don't play so I don't care.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Wylie, TXPosts: 143Member Uncommon
    I don't even have a response after watching that video.
  • Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 lincoln, NEPosts: 175Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SelfDestructPro

It's official, Arche Age has been ruined.  After so long of waiting and however long I was still going to have to wait beyond this post, I no longer have to wait.

This is what finally did it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyEOF51hLM

Like all other Asian influenced games, they somehow have to completely ruin it with something that just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I'm not here to gripe.  I just want to know is there any other games on the horizon that have really interesting exploration with the added bonus of ships and nautical warfare?  Preferably something that is medieval fantasy based.

thanks for the heads up OP.  I had no idea this was going to be in the game.  I wont be thinking about Arche Age again. 

• SpellforgedSpellforged Belvidere, ILPosts: 458Member
    That part with the cars driving on the beach was when I had to stop the video.  What were they thinking?

• sethman75sethman75 the gongPosts: 212Member Uncommon

So much fail.

It's not much of a leap from cars to WW2 planes is it.

I'm glad i saw this before i started playing it. I will put my hope in TESO who at least have respect for the fantasy genre.

• KellerKeller UtrechtPosts: 254Member

STEAMPUNK! I've been following Archeage for a very long time. Guess what? They have always said the game is steampunk and never that it is going to be a true mediëval fantasy game.

Tractors have been in for a long time. Guess you never watched harvesting videos.

Am I a fan of steampunk? Not really. Still it delivers in some games. It worked for me in Rift and WoW. Anyway you still have a chance to keep cars and other steampunk technology out of the game. Trion is still busy with the westernization. When they feel cars does not appeal to us westerners, then might leave it out.

• AconsarAconsar Narvon, PAPosts: 262Member
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

lol, 100% the op will be playing the game and is just being a drama queen. 

Games are supposed to be fun and don't have to make sense, that's what's so great about them. 

Some of us play games for immersion, not for senseless shit that doesn't fit.  If it's medieval era style, which it clearly was/is, it should not have industrial or modern influences (well, this is more than an influence with entire hotrods...).

Why do people who just go "LOLOLOL It's just a game" even play RPGs?  You don't fill the role, you don't care about the immersion or the journey or exploration.  Stick with console handholding, it's more what you're after I'd say.

• McPickleMcPickle louisville, KYPosts: 39Member

Not a fan of the cars at all. That being said, doesn't WoW have rockets, helicopters, and planes that can sit on the roof of the  AH of SW or OR right next to a giant dragon and be flown?

Since I'm using WoW as a reference, to me a rare bird mount that's flightless is more of a crime than this.

Either way if this was able to  ruin the game, the game didn't have much to start with.

• DaxamarDaxamar Green Cove Springs, FLPosts: 554Member
    Awesome vid. Thanks for the link. Looking forward to this!!!
  • wordizwordiz Eugene, ORPosts: 464Member
    The more I think about it the more I'm just seeing all the tools AA is trying to give us to do player driven (pun slightly intended) race events or whatnot. They're trying to give us options, which is what is lacking from most games. Sounds like some of you could have fun starting an anti-technology faction in game. Kind of like the anti-machina people in FFX. Would be pretty cool.
  • MMObroMMObro Oviedo, FLPosts: 65Member
    mario carts......... i'll pass image
  • TealaTeala SomewherePosts: 7,430Member Uncommon

Just put a huge X through Arche Age on my list of future potentially good games.   ::sigh::  Why...why ruin a medieval fantasy based game by putting in something like cars?  What is next bi-planes?

So yea...no thanks...I'll pass.

Frak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• dauntSilverdauntSilver Huntsville, ALPosts: 146Member
    hahaha wow, that video really took a turn.. yet another game I will not play. ever.
  • Dren_UtogiDren_Utogi OuterSpacePosts: 1,709Member Uncommon

Love it, cant wait.

Loved mario carts. One of the only nintendo games I really played !

reviews are !@#$ing stupid. Play what you love.

• hikaru77hikaru77 buenos airesPosts: 1,035Member Uncommon
    Korean MMO, is all i have to say about this. 
  • itbewillyitbewilly Mason, OHPosts: 346Member Uncommon
    If i cannot craft gold or silver rims that spin for my cars i'm not playing this! That is game breaking to have such sweet rides and not be able to pimp them bitches out.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Oak Brook, MIPosts: 673Member Uncommon

They could try to sell it as steampunk, I suppose.

Wait...have they ever heard that term?

• Dren_UtogiDren_Utogi OuterSpacePosts: 1,709Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Antiquated

They could try to sell it as steampunk, I suppose.

Wait...have they ever heard that term?

When peple ask for steampunl, they dont actually want to play ...

reviews are !@#$ing stupid. Play what you love.

• Punk999Punk999 Baytown, TXPosts: 874Member Uncommon

What will people not cry about?

Anyways doesnt change my opinion on this game. I plan on being out in the sea alot anyways.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com