Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love it or hate it, AV just provided a road map for future updates

BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?369141-Update-May-15th-Scheduled-Content-Updates

Today we’ll give you a look into some of our scheduled updates for the next couple of months. This is something we've never done before, but it is the way we want things for Darkfall Unholy Wars, involving the community, our players, in our future plans.

These are just some of the things we have planned that we’re reasonably sure will be added to the game according to the schedule. There is also a “Community Issues” component in our content updates and patches that will be addressing player concerns, issues and working on player suggestions on a regular basis. You can see an example of the kind of content this includes in the first update on the 3d week of May.

I will stress again that this list is not exhaustive. We will be adding a lot more to every update and we’ll more updates and patches than the ones listed here. We're giving you an idea so that we can maintain a discussion on things to come based on insight and scheduled updates.

May Week 3:

The third week of May we’re adding our first major Dungeon and addressing a several community issues we had prioritized. This update among other things will include:

• New Troll monsters
  • New Zombie monsters
  • New Troll Lord monster
  • New Cave Troll Monsters
  • New Dungeon: Iriendir

Community Issues:

• Party Kill Round Robin: We’re implementing a party distribution system that operates in a round robin fashion.
  • Holding Protection Shards: We’re implementing a protection shard mechanic that operates through the clan GUI and uses Dominion Points.
  • Territory Control map painting: We’ve been investigating the possibility of painting territories on the map. This is more a visual enhancement rather than an actual gameplay effect
  • Clan holding improved crafting: The purpose is implementing crafting operations in clan holdings that also more efficient, costing less gold, and having a higher success rate. This is one of the measures to be taken to increase clan holding worth.
  • New Unique Resources: We will have several (at least 10) completely new unique resources that will be used as special rewards.
  • Smaller Strong Boxes: Their current size allows players to block passages with them and this was obviously not their intended use.
  • Reduced Building Costs: Clan holding building costs are to be reduced, as well as clan holding building hit points, and increased dominion gained when destroying clan holding buildings.

May, week 4:

This is the week where the 3d Elementalist School is completed and added to the game. Also some more of the scheduled additions include:

• New Malaut Monsters
  • Monster boss for Broadherne, called “Below Whisperer”
  • Monster boss for Broadherne called “Below Nightmare”

June, week 1:

This week we will address prioritized community issues, suggestions, and concerns.
This is also the week which kicks off the Naval Era for Darkfall Unholy Wars and we will be adding a new Warship to the game.

June, week 2:

We will be adding another Warship to the game
New monsters: a mix of Trolls and Spiders

June, week 3:

• This week we’re adding the Markets to the game after a lot of work that was needed to complete them.
  • We will also add the 3d Warrior School.
  • We’re adding a new major dungeon, Marthnyr
  • Another major dungeon, Hardruk.
  • We will be addressing a list of prioritised community issues
  • We will add another Warship to the game.
  • New monsters: 2 Cave Hags
  • New Boss monster: Cave Hag Boss

June, week 4:

This week we’ll be adding the 3d Skirmisher School
We’re also adding a fourth Warship.

July, week 2:

• This week we’re adding the 3d Primalist School and all roles will now have 3 schools each.
  • We’re also adding another dungeon: Svartvann
  • New Monsters: Icejarl
  • We’ll also be addressing a variety of prioritized community issues.

July, week 3
This is the the apex of the naval war era and we’re adding Sea Fortresses
We’re also adding the new Backpack
Big Boss, the Ragaizan.

July, week 4:

• We’re adding Resource Monoliths to the game with all the implications these have for PvP
  • We’re adding Utility Ships
  • A new dungeon: Dulguna
  • New monsters, Melechars Family
  • The Bloodknight
  • We’re also going to address a variety of prioritized community issues.

That’s just a brief presentation of some of the things to come, and a taste of how we’re going to proceed with adding content to the game as well as the frequency of the content updates. As I mentioned above, this is far from being a complete list. We will be working well outside the things we’ve included here and we will go into detail in the days and weeks to come, explaining everything and interacting with the community.

As always, your feedback is important to us.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

I realize this may seem minor to some, but I noticed others in the game being equally miffed at this issue that I would have thought would never have shown up to begin with , and wondered if they ever plan to change it -

The chat box.

The chat box might be the worst , literally , I've ever seen in any mmorpg , locked into tiny sizes , you can't expand it , and it's functionality is , well , horrible.

I thought I was missing some option to change it , but then was told , no , this is AV's version of chat , welcome to hell.

Why , oh why , would that not put just minor effort into something as simple as letting you have a bigger chat box ?

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Yeah .... chat box and UI in general could use some work.  This is progress in a positive direction however.  Even if Aventurine quickly throws the map to the wind the can honestly say "We made a schedule."

Besides, it will give the forum goers something to cry about when they miss a deadline.

~Hairysun

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Looks like they're adding a bit of both breadth and depth.

Great news.... IF they deliver!

Let's hope.

Itch

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Looks like a good list to me. I can't wait!
    --------------------------------------------
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Its all well and good AV providing a road map but what makes you think for one second AV will stick to this at all lol...

Remember DF:UW was ready for release last nov and didn't need a beta test as they had done all the testing they needed in house.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Interresting, either they have this content ready to go and cut it from release to trickle feed it out or they have just set out a line of whips players can beat them with if they miss any deadlines.

Hopefully the former, because AV are not known for keeping their promises when it comes to matters of release targets.

Still, quite a good list.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Its all well and good AV providing a road map but what makes you think for one second AV will stick to this at all lol...

Remember DF:UW was ready for release last nov and didn't need a beta test as they had done all the testing they needed in house.

This.

Anyone who is even slightly familiar with AV knows that they are absolutely notorious for not delivering on their 'road maps'.  It's funny to me how quickly we forget. 

I'm guessing they deliver on the first update and then start falling way behind, I would not be surprised either if you never see some of the items they mentioned throughout.

Just my take, as someone who played both DF1 and UW.  Anyone remember the roadmap to a game called "Darkfall 2010"?  How'd that release go for ya?

• FlarglegumpFlarglegump Member Posts: 8
    I'm glad they are finally communicating with the community.
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    They're going to regret putting that out there. They'll have to listen to the shitstorm every time they miss a milestone even though none of that is written in the stone. It's a plan not a promise. If past history is any guide a lot of those are going to slip too.

Agreed. For the Fans of darkfall,  I hope they stick to it as close as possible and implement them.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    Given their track record on meeting deadlines, this road map could be a very dangerous move.  Even if they stick to this timeline there is legitimate grounds to gripe about some of the more critical parts of the game still not being added, if they start missing these dates it's going to get really ugly.   I hope for their sake they don't start missing their deadlines because it's going to have a ripple effect bumping everything back even further if they do.   The community rage will be off the charts.
  • xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by Paragus1
    Given their track record on meeting deadlines, this road map could be a very dangerous move.  Even if they stick to this timeline there is legitimate grounds to gripe about some of the more critical parts of the game still not being added, if they start missing these dates it's going to get really ugly.   I hope for their sake they don't start missing their deadlines because it's going to have a ripple effect bumping everything back even further if they do.   The community rage will be off the charts.

I agree.

It's good they have a schedule, but for those of us who have been following the game... that is all stuff we were expecting to be in the game at release.

Granted, they did say before release that not all of it was going to be ready.  Most of it though was said it was going to be implemented "immediately after release".  So, that brings us up to speed with what followers of the game were originally planning to be ready with the release of DF:UW.

All of that doesn't really take into account the performance issues that are still on-going and the existing bugs.  Hopefully they have a separate team working on that stuff so it doesn't affect the schedule they just released.  That schedule is also assuming there are no set-backs for any new bugs introduced with the upcoming content.

Anyway, I hope that Tasos is ready with a new batch of mods for the forums.  I have a feeling they will be needed.  

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    They're going to regret putting that out there. They'll have to listen to the shitstorm every time they miss a milestone even though none of that is written in the stone. It's a plan not a promise. If past history is any guide a lot of those are going to slip too.

Regardless, the general community think its a good thing.  The community is asking for more transparency on what is coming down the pipe so there can be some discussion about it.  While the devs design it, it is up to the players to play it.  Some of AV's design decisions have been questionable and if the community would have known beforehand what they were up to, we could have let them know they are wasting their time which could have been better spent on something else.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Regardless, the general community think its a good thing.  The community is asking for more transparency on what is coming down the pipe so there can be some discussion about it.  While the devs design it, it is up to the players to play it.  Some of AV's design decisions have been questionable and if the community would have known beforehand what they were up to, we could have let them know they are wasting their time which could have been better spent on something else.

yeah if had known what they where going to be doing with DF:UW we could have told them to not bother and leave the DF servers open..

While I want to agree with you Badaboom, but you will have to admit:

This is all stuff that originally we were told was going to be in DF:UW at release.  

We haven't gotten to the point where they are branching off into new stuff yet.  In fact, that schedule doesn't even complete everything that was originally "Ready for release" a long time ago.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by xzyax

This is all stuff that originally we were told was going to be in DF:UW at release.  

We haven't gotten to the point where they are branching off into new stuff yet.  In fact, that schedule doesn't even complete everything that was originally "Ready for release" a long time ago.

I know.  Frustrating especially so since I'm a primalist and see my remaining schools will be the last ones to come out.  Remeber DF1 though in which the population lost its momentum and was starting to plummet.  People were looking for this miracle patch as it was going to add some Sandbox content.  You remember what we got?  Funhulks.

That is why AV needs to communicate what they are planning because if I get another reiteration of funhulks my head will probably explode.

Either way, I'm still having fun right now.

Originally posted by xzyax

I know.  Frustrating especially so since I'm a primalist and see my remaining schools will be the last ones to come out.  Remeber DF1 though in which the population lost its momentum and was starting to plummet.  People were looking for this miracle patch as it was going to add some Sandbox content.  You remember what we got?  Funhulks.

That is why AV needs to communicate what they are planning because if I get another reiteration of funhulks my head will probably explode.

Either way, I'm still having fun right now.

I see your point... and agree.

There does NOT seem to be a Fun-hulks patch in that list.  They should get kudos for that at least.

Those who are very happy with this schedule... we will see if they are singing the same tune in August.  

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    Originally posted by Paragus1

The list is rather short and doesn't list anything too challenging. They might actually deliver 75 % of it on time.

What would worry me from the point of view of AV is how to retain the player population and start growing it. Right now the feature list is way too short for good retention numbers. Now from the experience of the "previous" Darkfall game we know they are have poor record of adding new features, game mechanics to the game.

This game needs depth and interaction which affects the game world. Most likely through economy, politics and replayable game mechanics which is not just kill 1500 trolls.

They could really easily introduce immersive elements to the whole holding concept with procedurally generated missions/quests to boost gold income, resource yields, simulated NPC population, maybe even add some villages and points of interested outside cities: farms, mines, woodyards etc. a whole metagame. Think a cross of Mount and Blade and Civilization. Earthrise tried to introduce that concept with mines and how it could affect resource prices.

Right now it's capable of holding interest of die hard fans and few lost souls.

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

95% of content is ready, and it's the issue of quality and / or balance.

People found out that the dungeons are "in" - just the entrance is blocked. Names and icons for missing specializations can be found in game assets.

So the plan is not that ambitious as it seems - they're going to test each new feature for a week - and then release it, unless testers will find something completely game-breaking,

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

To summarize :

By the end of July (if the meet the deadline this time which won't happen of course) DF:UW will be still not feature complete and will still missing even schools...

And what's worse..no sign to turn away from this arena style game to sandbox gameplay.

PS: everyone who knows these company know that thy go on vacation in summer ..if things not done till end of June prepare for October or November delivery and by the time most of these list will be forgotten anyway and i guess then some classes never had been intended to have 4 schools.

No  fun thats usual practice by Tasos and AV to simply "forget" about timelines and promises...

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    EU mandates 1 month of summer vacation.   Rules are rules :-)

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"