Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: Development Ceases, Automation to Kick In

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has announced that after eight years, active development on its flagship title, Guild Wars, has officially ended. From here on out, the Automated Tournament System will kick in, as well as an automated map rotation system.

You've already seen changes to support automation rolled out to our festival content, but to recap, major festivals now use tokens that players can redeem for one of the special items the event offers. Players are only allowed to choose one, but the choice allows newer players a chance to get items they otherwise never would have been able to and allows longtime players the opportunity to complete their collections. We'll be making changes along these lines to our remaining celebrations, so that the entire year's worth of festivals will run seamlessly.

In conjunction with this, we've also changed the distribution of birthday presents. Characters celebrating eight or more years in Tyria now get a token that they can then trade in for one of the gift boxes from any of the previous years. The distribution rates for the miniatures remain the same, but players can now target their favorite era every time a new year rolls around.

With these changes, Guild Wars will be more streamlined and self-supporting than ever, traits that will enable the game to be enjoyed for years to come.             

Read the full post on the Guild Wars site.

>

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    It was inevitable, but it had a good run. Not to mention there's already a ton of content there as it is.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    zombie game ftw =P

This have been a good conversation

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Twas good while it lasted!

Farewell, Guild Wars! You will be fondly remembered!

:( :( :(

The game is still going to be running.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Yeah, I remember playing this. 14 -15 years old at the time lol. Good times though. :)
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

This was a great game.  I never thought I would be the kind of person to like a game like this, which is even more testament to how high quality it is.

Sadly I did not have more time to spend on it in its hay-day.  Now it is something of a wasteland because there are so few people looking to play together.  To interested players, I recommend joining a guild or playing with friends.

I have very vivid memories of playing the alpha test of GW1.  It was like nothing I have seen before...  An alpha that was super fun, had a ton of people playing, only took 10 minutes to install, and ran beautifully on a mediocre computer.  The graphics and music were amazing, and the play was also excellent.  I remember being in complete awe.  GW1 is still a gorgeous game today, and so is GW2.  I hope for the best for ArenaNet and I hope they keep GW1 servers up, I will be sure to come back and finish Nightfall and GWEN, both which I bought and never completed.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    I hit 20 a few months back after playing on and off for 6 years and ill continue to play it on and off for hom points, it's fun and has tons of content which i still haven't gone through yet. The great thing is that while GW1 development is done Anet can still tell 250 years worth of stories using fractals to fill the gaps.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I knew this was coming. Guild wars was my first real online game. i have so many good memories, some that not even Guild wars 2 could replace. In many ways Guild wars was much better than its sequel.
  • chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    My goodness! I miss the skills system in GW1, which game will have this type of set up?? ESO?
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    The launch of Guild Wars 2 was so bittersweet. This was inevitable. It had a great run! 
  • Soldier101Soldier101 Member Posts: 111
    This game was my first game when i a got a pc back in 2004-2005.
  • AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

My first MMO ever. I played GW1 from release up until GW2's release day. After having played GW2,  I logged onto GW1 to try to get some more HoM titles and achievements and while in game, I kept on trying to jump! Not being able to jump really irritated me and so I couldn't bring myself to log back on anymore. Plus, I feel that the GW2's rewards for HoM achievements are not really worth it. I find lots of items, armors, and weapons which look way better and more interesting then what you would get from the HoM rewards.

So ya, I had good time with GW1 and like others, I really miss the skills system!. Thanks to GW1, I am now playing GW2 today and loving it more and more every day :)

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    1) Lie down. 2) Try not to cry. 3) Cry a lot.
    Twas good times. I'll miss the Nine Rings.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Lol sov.

What I meant was that there most likely won't be anymore updates(goodbye smiting monk/Paragon/Ranger reworks) and almost certainly no follow up to Nightfall's Campaign(think Winds of change here).

By the definition of running, WAR's still healthy. Just saying ;)

i stopped playing GW a while ago, still good to see it'll remain running... it was free, and it was a pretty good game.

As for WAR, i can count how much actual content has been added on one hand.. no expansions.. no real motivation of adding on things... in fact i think they've taken away more content than they've actually added. Hopefully games workshop steps in and  takes away the property license for someone else.... 

pvp is the only reason for WAR and even that's growing a little stale... 

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 354

It had its time.

Fond memories of alpha testing this in early 2004 and playing this for almost a decade.

But unlike most (pseudo)-oldschoolers I regard GW2 as the superior game in every aspect. I did, in fact, never even look back once after GW2 was released.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Amazing game. I really like how, even after development has officially stopped, the game will be there for the forseeable future.

Hopefully the guys who were working on GW1:Beyond can help with some story/lore elements for GW2.

NOT really on topic, but anyone else bothered by that Ranger's team build? seems...lame.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Town420
    This is why Sony>ALL. You don;t see Everquest going into automation. Anet. Lulz.

Er...the Vanguard players (who surely remember the long years of complete inattention from SOE) just might disagree.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Antiquated
    Originally posted by Town420
    This is why Sony>ALL. You don;t see Everquest going into automation. Anet. Lulz.

Er...the Vanguard players (who surely remember the long years of complete inattention from SOE) just might disagree.

Vanguard started receiving active development again.

Everquest has active development, even while its sequel is out and a third main entry is coming too.

This is just an example of a downside of the Buy to Play model - if they can't sell boxes they abandon the game.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    8 Years is a very long and reasonable time for a game to last, very few people stick around for it that long in the first place. That said, I am a little sad. It's like CoH, I didn't play it but I enjoyed knowing it was always there. Yeah, 'automation' will supposedly keep the game going, but despite what's said I doubt that will happen for very long. May as well get the goodbyes out now while you can.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Lol sov.

What I meant was that there most likely won't be anymore updates(goodbye smiting monk/Paragon/Ranger reworks) and almost certainly no follow up to Nightfall's Campaign(think Winds of change here).

By the definition of running, WAR's still healthy. Just saying ;)

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Thank you ANet and NCSoft for not shuttering it.  I still love this game and hope they let us play it for a long time to come.

Give NC some time they will shut it down. With a belief that any GW1 players left will migrate to GW2.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    After playing both I would have to agree that GW2 is the superior game. Still good that they are keeping the game up for longterm players and those who might prefer the original, however. Now let us start talking about Guild Wars 3 in HOLOVISION.
  • JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    I tried to get back into my game after being gone for 2 yrs and I couldn't because I couldn't remember all my log in info. When I asked NC for help, they wanted my credit card info to confirm that the account was mine even though I have no idea what credit card I used 6 yrs ago. I told them that I didn't even have the same CC now that I had 6 yrs ago and they informed me that they couldn't help me then. I had a huge investment in the game and the fact that they would help me showed me that they really don't care about the old GW1 players anymore. I really would have liked to play the game again, or even pass it on to my son now that he's old enough to play it.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    truly a great game, I remember hitting lvl 8 and playing in the arenas, great fun. Guild wars 2 never obsessed me like gw1
  • rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Sad day, Guild Wars 1 and the Officer are over ;(

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

met a lot of good people in guild wars...spent a majority of my gaming time on it these last 8 years, The thing that really put guild wars into a top gaming spot was simply the lore, Arena.net really built a living and breathing world into their game and the love shown through it, the lore you never get to play, the thousands of years before the first game, which the guild wars took place was so well explained and laid out for the gamers.

The stories we played out and the npcs we cared about and hated all brought the game together as a Fantastic experience that lasted years and (for me personally) has left lasting memories.