Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Rift: Loving Rift's Shift

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

In this week's Devil's Advocate, Victor takes a look at the recent F2P announcement from Trion Worlds' Rift and why it's a good thing all around for everyone.

Trion Worlds has to be one of the most outstanding companies in the MMO world today in terms of treating customers right, however, so while I expected RIFT to shift its revenue model eventually due to market forces and feedback, I didn't expect the degree of clarity to which they maintained a particular vision for their revenue model shift.

Read the rest of Victor's The Devil's Advocate: Loving RIFT's Shift.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Nice quick write up. I am looking forward to this as this was HUGE news imo especially considering the cash shop is NOT a P2W cash shop. RIFT is doing this right similar to Aion's cash model. This will inject a nice population into RIFT. I only quit because I don't have enough time to play anymore to justify a monthly sub. This is perfect. Go Trion!

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I have been waiting for this for a good while now. I love Rift, but with my recent job change, P2P titles are a waste of money for me. This change will allow me to play it once again.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I haven't played it since it first launched, so I'm going to give it a look.  Nothing coming out until Winter anyway.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Very player-friendly model, i hope it will be a solid success.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

GJ once more TRION.  Already me and some guild m8's from wow and gw2 are back to RIFT.

Thx for the real F2P model :)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I will add RIFT to best F2P models along with AION (US version), TERA and STO. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

If you had followed the reddit conversation on the game they have already said there will be gear in the store, it will only be gear that is only available through vendors, and it wont be the top tier raid gear, so expect dungeon token gear to be in the shop.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

well I see 1 P2W item in the store already

they 10% permanent mount speed is a must purchase for all players, especially pvpers

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I'll reserve judgement until I see the implementation, but I will continue my subscription for now. 

I'm not against cash shops.  But typically they offer things I don't want or need.  Hopefully Rift will offer some fluff that I can't resist.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Our server in wow was dying out pretty bad and it would of cost us over 150$ to transfer our 90s to another high population realm . The day a few of us were debating this Rift announced their free to play system and when it starts. Needless to say we all canceled our WOW accounts and resubbed to Rift. I hope others stop giving the greedy morons at blizzard money and do the same exact thing because at least Trion doesn't charge you an arm and a leg to transfer because of declining player population and nickel and dimes its player base like blizzard when it comes to services that are near instant. I hope wow continues to decline and games like this that do free to play right keep growing and push them entirely out of their subscribers. Its time blizzard learned to stop treating their player base like do-do with other good games like Rift out there and others.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    2 thumbs up.
  • deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    How can anyone say this system is not P2W when they will sell expert dungeon-level gear in the cash shop...? This was said on the Rift forums btw, I,m not making it up... They will have gear with stats for sale, just not the current raiding tier. That means as soon as you get lvl 60, you can buy your way into raiding in a matter of seconds.... This is the DEFINITION of P2W, even if some people will say '' but it doesn't matter, it's not relevant gear to the current raids'' , It's still a P2W model ...
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I currently subscribe to Rift and even I can see this cash shop is a p2w move by Trion. P2W does NOT only imply being able to buy end-game gear in the cash shop. P2W means being able to buy ANY item that is not cosmetic and affects your stats in combat, whether it is gear or skill boosts. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves. 

I used to think that Lotro had the worst P2W system out there, but it looks like Trion wants to get greedy too. Cash shops should be ONLY for cosmetic items. The inability to fill the cash shop with enough cosmetic categories only lends to the impression that the devs lack in creativity.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by deveilblad
    How can anyone say this system is not P2W when they will sell expert dungeon-level gear in the cash shop...? This was said on the Rift forums btw, I,m not making it up... They will have gear with stats for sale, just not the current raiding tier. That means as soon as you get lvl 60, you can buy your way into raiding in a matter of seconds.... This is the DEFINITION of P2W, even if some people will say '' but it doesn't matter, it's not relevant gear to the current raids'' , It's still a P2W model ...

You're right and Trion showed as much too in the livestream today on Twitch. 

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    I buy pre-raid gear from other players, this is the same thing just in the cash shop!
  • AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    I used to like Trion, but I have learned to distrust and dislike their marketing videos.  But maybe we have come to expect worse, making the author claim Trion to be a shiny example of honest clarity.

It takes one to know one.

• kain6993kain6993 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Played since Beta 1, Goodbye Rift.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

These guys are awesome. I love Trion! 

All these other Devs have described themselves as gamers who understand gamers and know what they want, but Trion is the only company that actually delivers on that phrase. The rest are just posers.

But I'm also one of those filthy casuals who could care less about the raids so...

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112
    Might have to pick up an expac copy, all this waiting is getting me excited :3

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193

I don't know where all of you guys are coming from with the ''we were already doing this indirectly'' .... You guys were paying REAL money to other players for gear ? Wtf people ? I've never done nor seen ANYONE do that in a real no cash shop game...

And saying that they will sell expert-level gear so you cannot go straight into raiding is false. They will sell the second best tier of gear; meaning if T2 raids are out, then it's T1 raid gear in the shop... That's been established already...

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Manolios

GJ once more TRION.  Already me and some guild m8's from wow and gw2 are back to RIFT.

Thx for the real F2P model :)

Soo good that they fired alot of their employees. (up to 80% if you believe some of the reads, which I don't)  If this ain't dying its pretty darn close.

Got the 6 month subscription when Rift first came out it was a decent game but I only played for 2-3 months before becoming bored of the rifts always popping in the same place on a timer with the same mobs. (to me thats not dynamic)

I wish it all the luck with the F2P crowd (ie the type that tends to demand more while all the time paying nothing or very little from what I've seen.)

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by McGamer
    Originally posted by deveilblad

You're right and Trion showed as much too in the livestream today on Twitch. 

Absolutely this is  P2W!  I have played Rift since Beta (with a moderate break for personal reasons) and I knew Trion was in trouble when they laid off a good chunk of their employees. So I guess that this is to be expected, but P2W is too much, I'll miss Rift.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

As long as the expert dungeon gear remains as easy to obtain ingame as it is at the moment, I wouldn't be concerned about any P2W going on. I mean, planar gear, PvP gear and raid gear are all better than it. Expert dungeon gear is the base level 60 gear, well chronicle gear is the basic with ED gear just above it. It won't let anyone skip the dungeons either.. because you can get raid gear tokens for running random dungeon dailies if you choose to.

I'd rather they didn't do it, of course, but I don't think it's going to affect anything. Really though, it's more like pay to get started at endgame. The only reason you'd need to do that though is if you straight up levelled a character with only Instant Adventures and had no gear. If you played normally, you definitely wouldn't need to buy any gear... you'd be pretty stupid if you did.

As for the Patron status. I too think it isn't worth it. They sent out a questionnaire to subscribers asking about the patron status. Hopefully they will listen to some people. Once my 12 month sub is over I won't be subbing again if there are no changes to it... just can't see the point.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Doesn't sound P2W to me. True P2W is buy this gear or enchant or don't complete top content

Rift

• TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142

You really think the range of patronage benefits are generous? It's basically some boosts in a game where XP and such is easy to come by and some items that most veterans have. Even the boosts at 10% are hardly worth the cost of entry. And given that you do not get a shop stipend it doesn't seem like a very worthwhile deal.

As a subscriber since launch I will be ending my subscription as it doesn't seem remotely worth the money. I suppose I should be happy that now I won't have to pay but I fear it will go the route of LoTRO and it's ever present pushes to give them money. At which point I will leave.