Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think a high sub fee would keep out the unwanted ?

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

When MMOS with 15 bucks a month P2P model are struggling to keep up only someone who is clinically insane would invest his money into a project which would ask subscribers to pay 25 bucks or 50 bucks a month.The typical reply we get is 'if game is good i will even pay 100 bucks a month'. Well problem here is that good is subjective and past has proven that gamers are fickle bunch who themselves don't know what they want. Moreover, the notion that high sub fee will somehow make community more mature is laughable scenario since more money  default does not mean 'better person'.What a weird..weird topic this really is. To me it seems like OP is just prejudiced against certain type of players and made this topic just to ridicule them. But somehow it back fired.

Perfect.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Redcor
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Sounds like an MMO for high-class whores.

That's why your a spotlight poster. Such insight and constructive criticism.

It's called having a sense of humor. Doesn't sound like you have one. Also, what does being a "spotlight poster" have anything to do with, well anything? Is that supposed to make me some sort of classy-wise person? I'm not a try hard. I say what I think.

Not to mention that ridiculous ideas deserve ridicule. There's only one obvious outcome to this high-sub-to-keep-out-asshats model: you'll be dealing with wealthier asshats there.

If you look at the edit on my original post I really like the idea of the server with a higher cost that offers perks that appeal to community driven members. I find that most wealthy people I meet are not the kind of people I would want to hang out with but thats not my point. I believe a server for a more mature and helpful playerbase would be a nice addition.

Several developers (like SOE as you noticed) have tried that. It hasn't really worked out. It would be even harder to do now. You have noticed that in the past decade or so the price for an MMO hasn't changed at all, correct? To repost from another thread:

Consumer bias will normally assume a product/service at the accepted price point is equal to the others at that price point and assume a product/service at a lower price to be inferior. However, when a product/service is offered at a higher price it comes under comparative scrutiny that an MMO's marketing team would just become belabored with justifying.

Once you try to sell at a different price, the onus is on you to justify the price. While you can find gaggles of folks on these forums that swear they would jump at the chance to pay more, the reality is you'd have a small handful of players regularly demanding a superior experience and greater content than what they'd get from WOW or any of the other established MMOs.

Since you won't be able to compete in static content, you'd have to compete in personalised content... that adequately covers all times zones and playstyles. Remember, you are charging extra for a better experience.

Not to mention that the NA is an economic downturn right now, and so the only people who could afford a higher priced subscription model is the 1% and I doubt a lot of them even play MMOs.

Smile

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145

It's called having a sense of humor. Doesn't sound like you have one. Also, what does being a "spotlight poster" have anything to do with, well anything? Is that supposed to make me some sort of classy-wise person? I'm not a try hard. I say what I think.

Not to mention that ridiculous ideas deserve ridicule. There's only one obvious outcome to this high-sub-to-keep-out-asshats model: you'll be dealing with wealthier asshats there.

If you look at the edit on my original post I really like the idea of the server with a higher cost that offers perks that appeal to community driven members. I find that most wealthy people I meet are not the kind of people I would want to hang out with but thats not my point. I believe a server for a more mature and helpful playerbase would be a nice addition.

Several developers (like SOE as you noticed) have tried that. It hasn't really worked out. It would be even harder to do now. You have noticed that in the past decade or so the price for an MMO hasn't changed at all, correct? To repost from another thread:

Consumer bias will normally assume a product/service at the accepted price point is equal to the others at that price point and assume a product/service at a lower price to be inferior. However, when a product/service is offered at a higher price it comes under comparative scrutiny that an MMO's marketing team would just become belabored with justifying.

Once you try to sell at a different price, the onus is on you to justify the price. While you can find gaggles of folks on these forums that swear they would jump at the chance to pay more, the reality is you'd have a small handful of players regularly demanding a superior experience and greater content than what they'd get from WOW or any of the other established MMOs.

Since you won't be able to compete in static content, you'd have to compete in personalised content... that adequately covers all times zones and playstyles. Remember, you are charging extra for a better experience.

Another issue coupled with that is when you are offering a higher price point, like say the EQ Legends server that would offer newer/differing/more content to them, then you are likely going to drive away the lower paying players on the other servers since it is likely they would feel as though they are getting a substandard gaming experience for "only" paying say $15/month.

And the price point really does nothing to discourage being immature or create a barrier to entry for those people. People pointing this out aren't being asshats. That you would agree so easily with the person that said that shows you being rather...immature since they disagree with your overall premise. 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by RandomDown

Another issue coupled with that is when you are offering a higher price point, like say the EQ Legends server that would offer newer/differing/more content to them, then you are likely going to drive away the lower paying players on the other servers since it is likely they would feel as though they are getting a substandard gaming experience for "only" paying say $15/month.

And the price point really does nothing to discourage being immature or create a barrier to entry for those people. People pointing this out aren't being asshats. That you would agree so easily with the person that said that shows you being rather...immature since they disagree with your overall premise. 

If that last paragraph was directed at me, I'd like to make it clear that I don't agree at all with the claim that higher cost means more mature people.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• It is an interesting idea for sure. I would gladly pay an extra 25 to 50 dollars for a sub fee, provided the game offered something unique to justify the fee. If the fee went towards paying moderators to deal with griefers and those who hurl insults at other players all day, then to me it'd be worth it.

However if the extra 10-35 dollars was just to justify that with more money there won't be ruder players, I don't think that'd work. I think some active policing of the community is what is really needed to justify a greater fee. Of course with any policing it is hard to maintain a balance with the community, since a player base that is in fear of interacting with other players due to the moderators would simply not work. 

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

Let me try to make my latest point more clear since everyone is off on some tangent. 

I am not suggesting a new rpgmmo be produced that is expensive. I do not feel this would work and the business model would never succeed.

I do not believe rich people that can afford higher prices are better people. Quite the contrary.

I do believe that a game with a server that charges more and offers more community and RP driven aspects like player/guild housing, cosmetic elements, and things of this nature would have a lesser amount of said asshats. Think of any game that you have played on both a pvp and a pve server.

PVE is more chill.

PVP is more uptight and has more trashtalking, greifing, and hacking.

And if you have ever played on an RP server they have the nicest and most mature community. I am not a RP'r but I always chose those servers when given the chance.

This type of server model would allow developers the capitol to do more for the pve community instead of constantly using resources to cater to the pvp community with is more outspoken and never sticks around very long. 

Or even a server that is able to afford more moderators to keep the hacking and greifing to a minimum.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

You'll never get rid of them. 

/thread

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Tjed

I have noticed that as more games go F2P there are more asshats around than ever before. Even my favorite shooter (CounterStrike) is so jacked up with hackers these days its no fun to play. I see more and more hacking and more punk-ass kids talking trash in chat and greifing guilds popping up.

Do you think a rated M game with say a $25. a mo. sub fee would curb these losers ?  Would you pay that a month to be in a better more mature community ? I would probably pay more to be honest with you but I have $$ to burn.

What do you think ? 

Me, personally, I would be glad to pay $25 a month for a no cash shop game that was everything I am looking for in a game.  That's just not going to happen, but yes, I would pay that much.

That's a bit off from you main point though, so here goes.  Your point assumes two things,

1. most "pillars of the community" mature players have that money to spend.

2. most of the jerks, hackers, trash talking greifers do not have that money to spend.

I just don't think either of these are accurate. 

Yeah, those are two huge assumptions that his theory is riding on.  Without those two assumptions his idea is baseless.  Don't mature players typically have less money to spend due to a wife and children draining them dry?

I made much less back in the day but I didn't have 1/10th the responsibilities/bills that I now have and thus less cash to throw around on games.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    The only way to make sure you don't have jerks in the game is to buy your own server and make it private.  Barring that, I don't see making the sub price higher necessarily keeping out the rift raff as there are affluent jerks as well.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

I am not suggesting a new rpgmmo be produced that is expensive.

I do believe that a game with a server that charges more .... would have a lesser amount of said asshats.

Interesting.

Price will not change the % of jerks, maybe just the absolute number.

Your other points might work - enforcing rules, more rp events...  Those might work.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Not to mention that the NA is an economic downturn right now, and so the only people who could afford a higher priced subscription model is the 1% and I doubt a lot of them even play MMOs.

Is that a joke?

The "1%" talking point has now reached a new level of silly.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

And if you have ever played on an RP server they have the nicest and most mature community. I am not a RP'r but I always chose those servers when given the chance.

I have ALWAYS played in an RP server for the very same reason you state but there isn't a single RP server left in any MMO that I know of that is anything like what they used to be 5, 10 years ago. You're living in the past.

They are populated by as many asshats with cool 1337 names that are never policed any more, many who go there deliberately to harass RPers and, in PVP RP servers, go there because they think they'll be able to own the RP "carebears." They're just as toxic as any other type of server now.

And sorry, I don't agree with your PVE > PVP bias. The best community I have ever played in was in the Guinevere server in DAoC... and 90% of us were there for the RvR PvP.

Ignore, exclude through guild rules of conduct and minimize playing with random strangers are really the only thing that work...and they already work. No need to do anything more contrived than that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I would gladly pay $50 a month for an MMO that I enjoyed, and kept crap like griefers and hackers out.  At that price point, however, there's no excuse for game bugs that never get fixed and lack of content.

You make me like charity

• RigurRigur Member Posts: 53
    The EQ Legends server had a few unique things at the time like an amory page,calender for scheduled GM events. The GM events were alot of fun. The only reason I didn't stay longer was my friends and guild was on my old server.

The first MMO you loved will always be the best. You will never get that feeling back stop trying.

Let me try to make my latest point more clear since everyone is off on some tangent. 

I am not suggesting a new rpgmmo be produced that is expensive. I do not feel this would work and the business model would never succeed.

I do not believe rich people that can afford higher prices are better people. Quite the contrary.

I do believe that a game with a server that charges more and offers more community and RP driven aspects like player/guild housing, cosmetic elements, and things of this nature would have a lesser amount of said asshats. Think of any game that you have played on both a pvp and a pve server.

PVE is more chill.

This type of server model would allow developers the capitol to do more for the pve community instead of constantly using resources to cater to the pvp community with is more outspoken and never sticks around very long. 

Or even a server that is able to afford more moderators to keep the hacking and greifing to a minimum.

You clearly don't read anyone's posts. You keep saying the same thing when it's already been proven that this method would flop.

1) Only the 1% could afford to play such an MMO and most of the 1% don't play MMOs.

2) People wouldn't even play the cheaper server because they'd be upset that they were paying $15 a month and yet were getting jipped on features because rich people were paying $25-$50 a month for another server.

3) It just wouldn't work. The game would be mocked into the void for having such a ridiculous subscription price.

4) Just because a game costs more money doesn't mean it's not going to attract annoying people. Your logic is completely ridiculous. Your game is going to have annoying people no matter how much it costs. 

I hate to break it to you but your idea wouldn't work at all.

Smile

PVE is more chill.

You clearly don't read anyone's posts. You keep saying the same thing when it's already been proven that this method would flop.

1) Only the 1% could afford to play such an MMO and most of the 1% don't play MMOs.

2) People wouldn't even play the cheaper server because they'd be upset that they were paying $15 a month and yet were getting jipped on features because rich people were paying $25-$50 a month for another server.

3) It just wouldn't work. The game would be mocked into the void for having such a ridiculous subscription price.

4) Just because a game costs more money doesn't mean it's not going to attract annoying people. Your logic is completely ridiculous. Your game is going to have annoying people no matter how much it costs. 

LOL, I'm not sure you can comprehend what I am saying. 

#1 your saying that only the top 1% can afford $25 a month. Funny

#2 The server would be for those that want RP elements or more moderation from griefers and hackers. Meanwhile griefers and hackers would prefer to stay on a server that cost less and allows them to grief and hack more freely.

#3 whats ridiculous about a game that charges more for a server that offers more for your taste. Most of us understand that it costs more to do more or hire more employees.

#4 I never said that high costs would attract better people your pulling that out of your bum

-Robert E. Howard

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I do not think you could run just a server like this, effectively.  I would think a whole game/all servers would have to be run like this to have the money to effectively offer more things to the subscribers.

I do not want to keep any particular people out of a game, but I think you can police a game a little more effectively, if you have subs, make it so if you offer a trial, that those people cannot do certain things that say gold sellers, spammers, and things just in general are not welcome (restrict chat channels, dropping/trading things etc...).

You would need to actually police the game, something that it seems most developers do not want to do, or do not do effectively.  Like Vanguard, people would macro crafting, which take a long time to skill up, people would report them and nothing would be done, if something was done, it would generally be so late that the person probably still came out way ahead if they got a 24-72 hour ban.  The punishment cannot make the crime worth it.  People use hacks for like a month or more, finally get caught, and then they get the 24 hour ban...The people using the hacks laugh at that.  With policing comes the responsibility to get it right also.  People also duping stuff left and right, exploiting xp....Now I know nothing is ever perfect, but a lot of games let known problems just continue on for way too long.

Take this extra money, and make the game better, people like to say that subscription games are a broken model right now, but I don't agree, what has been broken the last 6-8 years is mmos that come out with a subscription that are in no way worth paying for (and to be honest, I wouldn't play most of them if they were free with no cash shop).  Most mmos are being made to be railed/lobby based mmos that people are throwing away after 2-4 weeks, and then the f2p status, they hope to cycle in a new batch of players and hope they they keep a small percentage that really like their game and will spend money in the cash shop.  IT is like speed dating for games.

PVE is more chill.

#2 The server would be for those that want RP elements or more moderation from griefers and hackers. Meanwhile griefers and hackers would prefer to stay on a server that cost less and allows them to grief and hack more freely.

#3 whats ridiculous about a game that charges more for a server that offers more for your taste. Most of us understand that it costs more to do more or hire more employees.

#4 I never said that high costs would attract better people your pulling that out of your bum

Um, your argument was attracting a better community. Now you're switching because you've been proven wrong by several people? This whole thread is pointless if you're going to switch all around. Also like I've already said, when there are $15 dollar games that have the features you're talking about no one's going to pay for a game subscription that costs $25.

Smile

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

PVE is more chill.

I can afford a $25 sub, I must be a 1%er!   I need to get ahold of my bank and tell them that some extra 0s are missing on my balance.

Jokes aside, I have a good job, but I am in no way shape or form "rich".  I imagine I am considered middle class, but even if I was working minimum wage, I could probably afford to pay $25, instead of $15 for a sub game that I deemed worth it.  That's $10 a month, how many people smoke, buy star bucks, buy a pop at work instead of bringing a drink in with you, fast food, order a pizza on Friday night, etc....  $10 makes you a 1%er?

PVE is more chill.

Um, your argument was attracting a better community. Now you're switching because you've been wrong? This whole thread is pointless if you're going to switch all around. Also like I've already said, when there are $15 dollar games thta have the features you're talking about no one's going to pay for a game subscription that costs $25.

AARRGG. I give up with you bro. I would sooner argue with my wife. You Winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. :) Its a horrible idea.

-Robert E. Howard

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145

PVE is more chill.

What is ridiculous about it is that the differential in price wouldn't make up for the extra developers needed to make that sort of content, or the necessary timesink if you had to pull developers away from the "regular" servers. It would still take a significant playerbase to afford a whole other set of developers for specific items for what would likely be a small percentage of your overall playerbase and even with the higher sub fee, overall gross revenue. That is, until those players leave that feel like second class citizens despite paying a sub. Also, you are asserting they would deserve extra content AND moderation. Which is another set of expenses. Most sub games attempt to deal with hackers and really it depends on how the company defines griefing, not your view of it, to be moderated. You would either need to pay significantly more or have a much largely than is really feasible player base at that price to get all these extras.

You never said it would attract better people because those people are already "the best" to you because they are the RP type and not whatever your particular opinion of asshat is. Games inherently have RP elements anyways, since you generally have emotes and the ability to chat.

• LodenDSGLodenDSG Member Posts: 266

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with subs; I think it has more to do with the size of the market being hit. The older MMOs that are hailed as being so golden where also very tightly targeted toward a specific type of gamer EVE also falls into this category; for this reason along IMO they remain viable fun games (for there audience) long after the tech they where built on has become old even poorly supported on modern hardware. 

The wider market MMOs WOW being the first of its type tend to be a bit less deep, but appeal to a much wider target; more looser linked people mean more "ass hattery".

So if you want fewer ass hats, high quality game play and a long lived game regardless of the fees then you need to find a game that is targeted for your play style i.e. perfect fit for your niche; Horizons, EVE, Ragnorok, Requiem, EQ, Asherons Call even DAoC despite the last few years where it has become increasingly shallow and easy street. Down side is there just arnt many games in this category and most EVE aside are quite dated of course as is the nature of these games age doesn't hurt the fun much if at all.

I'm sure most will disagree with me on the list o' games there but the idea is tightly targeted games when they fit you are just more fun and yes I am willing to pay 15 a mo even when they are a decade or more old. The wider target games aren't bad at all I am all to happy to throw 60 to get in and 15 to play but they tend to lack the immersion that I get from the more focused games and thus are first on the list of game subs to cancel when something new comes up or the wife gripes about the game budget :)

I think there is plenty of room for both arch types (focused and casual MMOs) I do wish we had a new focused MMO or a revamp of some of the classics many are starting to get a bit buggy on modern systems; in the same light I'm glad to see so many new casual MMOs coming up and some good IPs to ESO for example which honestly I think should have been a bit tighter focused more Mor/Obliv less Skyrim but thats just because the classic elder scrolls hit my play style nicely the 3 stat slightly lighter elder scrolls of today is still a grate game.

As for price not opposed to the idea but I don't think it will help WOW was pay to play and at its height there where more ass hats than you could shake a stick at; that's just a matter population diversity I think you had old school RPers playing with yuppy soccer moms playing with pre-teen pervs and elitist pigs all together in barrens chat makign stupid chuck noris jokes talking about LoL cats in Azeroth correcting spelling and quoting Warcraft lore each thinks the other is an ass hat, each treats the other like crap just trying to piss one another off and for the few that avoid being a prick you get caught in the middle of the *fun*

To sum that up; big population with a diverse selection of players == loads of social conflict which some like but translates to ass hats how much they pay to play doesn't really impact much I dont think

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259

I think they each game should release different servers with the game...f2p servers and p2p servers...then you can have the game AND the community you want. Might work :D

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    It will keep me out. In this day & age, i don't think i would pay a high sub fee for any game. It is not the early 1990s when i pay $2 to play Kingdom of Drakkar.

PVE is more chill.

Um, your argument was attracting a better community. Now you're switching because you've been wrong? This whole thread is pointless if you're going to switch all around. Also like I've already said, when there are $15 dollar games thta have the features you're talking about no one's going to pay for a game subscription that costs $25.

AARRGG. I give up with you bro. I would sooner argue with my wife. You Winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. :) Its a horrible idea.

Alright you have fun with that. Kind of funny how you were talking about "asshates" (I hope you don't think that's a real term) and then basically discredit anyone who has actual, valid counter-arguments. Hmmm... I wonder who the "asshat" is in this situation... 

Smile