Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think a high sub fee would keep out the unwanted ?

Comments

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Tjed
    Originally posted by Rigur
     EQ had a legends server for 45$ a month for awhile. I only tried it for one month so can't really say how the community was.

My goodness I haven't thought about Stormhammer in a very long time.  Made me go dig this up:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/everquest-legends-qanda-2848677

It lasted a little while, I never played on it, but I had some friends that tried it out.  It did have a very similar design concept to what the OP suggested. 

I never heard of this until today but its the best idea I have seen so far. This type of idea could work within a F2P world and would probably do a decent job of what I am suggesting. Not sure if it would get reintroduced ever again but I would go for it in a flash.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol almost without exception the most obnoxious rude and impatient behaviour i have seen Is from (clearly unhappy) adults.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• RigurRigur Member Posts: 53
    No they shut it down awhile back. It lasted for a long time tho.

The first MMO you loved will always be the best. You will never get that feeling back stop trying.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    oh good. another unwashed masses thread.

Yeah the great unwashed...why don't they just wash the f*** up?

This financial gating rubs me the wrong way. Especially since studies have shown that when it comes to anti-social behavior, it's the wealthy and privileged who behave the worst: 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/feb/27/upper-class-people-behave-selfishly

You want to talk about gating through personality profiling and I'll think about it... but only if I get to be on the admissions board of directors.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Some of you guys using logic and reason have no place in this thread. The OP wants us to think that paying more is better. So please stop!!
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Lol almost without exception the most obnoxious rude and impatient behaviour i have seen Is from (clearly unhappy) adults.

This. Kids can be impatient and stupid, but the ones who put real effort into being obnoxious tend to be adults.

Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Some of you guys using logic and reason have no place in this thread. The OP wants us to think that paying more is better. So please stop!!

Not at all. I simply posed a question. I really like the idea of a more expensive server though.

-Robert E. Howard

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Redcor

Not at all. I simply posed a question. I really like the idea of a more expensive server though.

If enough people were willing to do it so the more expensive server wasn't an empty wasteland, then that might be good.  But I just don't see a lot of people spending more for the same thing when there is no guarantee that the expensive server wouldn't have it's share of asshats...which is the reason for the separate server.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Sounds like an MMO for high-class whores.

Smile

If enough people were willing to do it so the more expensive server wasn't an empty wasteland, then that might be good.  But I just don't see a lot of people spending more for the same thing when there is no guarantee that the expensive server wouldn't have it's share of asshats...which is the reason for the separate server.

Agreed. There would have to be some incentive there that appealed to the more community driven players that plan on sticking around longer. Like things like player housing or RP elements possibly.

-Robert E. Howard

Originally posted by Razeekster

That's why your a spotlight poster. Such insight and constructive criticism.

-Robert E. Howard

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I love sub and hybrid models, i wish there were more good mmos that stick with sub fees.

It's called having a sense of humor. Doesn't sound like you have one. Also, what does being a "spotlight poster" have anything to do with, well anything? Is that supposed to make me some sort of classy-wise person? I'm not a try hard. I say what I think.

The only people that are going to be attracted to a $25 or higher priced MMO is people with quite a bit of extra money to spend. Seeing as how most of the population is made up of people that wouldn't be able to afford such a price no MMO that charged that much would ever be successful. It'd be laughed out of the market. 

Smile

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Razeekster Sounds like an MMO for high-class whores.

ROFL oh yes the cream rises to the top here at MMORPG. Or Not.

O.P., yes, of course a sub-based game would keep out the majority of IDBs. That goes without saying. $25 is a bit high, but I would pay it for a decent title, which the industry has not seen in a LONG time.

O.P. you should retitle this thread to Asshat-bait. Since you seem to have attracted all the asshats on MMORPG to this thread.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I have noticed that as more games go F2P there are more asshats around than ever before. Even my favorite shooter (CounterStrike) is so jacked up with hackers these days its no fun to play. I see more and more hacking and more punk-ass kids talking trash in chat and greifing guilds popping up.

Do you think a rated M game with say a $25. a mo. sub fee would curb these losers ?  Would you pay that a month to be in a better more mature community ? I would probably pay more to be honest with you but I have $$ to burn.

What do you think ? 

It would probably be a great thing for MMOs as a whole, because it would keep a pocket of the unwanted out of the everyone else's game.

I'm guessing that you're alluding to what I was going to explicitly say before I read your reply:  an M-rated game would be likely to attract exactly the bad elements more so than most other games.

An M rating and a $25 fee would need a good amount of justification in either features or spin in order to attract people actually looking for a higher quality game experience. What would these features be, and would it attreact anything more than just people looking to be elitists among their own kind?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

It's called having a sense of humor. Doesn't sound like you have one. Also, what does being a "spotlight poster" have anything to do with, well anything? Is that supposed to make me some sort of classy-wise person? I'm not a try hard. I say what I think.

Not to mention that ridiculous ideas deserve ridicule. There's only one obvious outcome to this high-sub-to-keep-out-asshats model: you'll be dealing with wealthier asshats there.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Not to mention that ridiculous ideas deserve ridicule. There's only one obvious outcome to this high-sub-to-keep-out-asshats model: you'll be dealing with wealthier asshats there.

If you look at the edit on my original post I really like the idea of the server with a higher cost that offers perks that appeal to community driven members. I find that most wealthy people I meet are not the kind of people I would want to hang out with but thats not my point. I believe a server for a more mature and helpful playerbase would be a nice addition.

-Robert E. Howard

Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by Razeekster Sounds like an MMO for high-class whores.

ROFL oh yes the cream rises to the top here at MMORPG. Or Not.

O.P., yes, of course a sub-based game would keep out the majority of IDBs. That goes without saying. $25 is a bit high, but I would pay it for a decent title, which the industry has not seen in a LONG time.

O.P. you should retitle this thread to Asshat-bait. Since you seem to have attracted all the asshats on MMORPG to this thread.

But then they may not take the bait. This is helping to reaffirm my belief in a separate server or more expensive model.

-Robert E. Howard

If you look at the edit on my original post I really like the idea of the server with a higher cost that offers perks that appeal to community driven members. I find that most wealthy people I meet are not the kind of people I would want to hang out with but thats not my point. I believe a server for a more mature and helpful playerbase would be a nice addition.

Yeah, and making a more expensive sub-fee wouldn't do what you want. I've met the rich people who play MMOs. Most of them are so self-absorbed that I would want nothing to do with them. And I would never want to play on a server where I'd be surrounded by them (not that I'd be able to even afford such a high-priced sub game).

Smile

I did read your post but I don't think equating a desire to decorate houses or the desire to hang out at the Prancing Pony slow walking and funny talking guarantees anything, There are many players like me who prefer to play the "core game", i.e. explore, adventure, vanquish evil mobs who hate asshats as much as you do but would be turned off by your threshold criteria.

You really would need to have very selective criteria based on personality and social skills as well as a rigid enforcement policy to ever have a chance to play in an asshat-free-zone. And god forbid you ever get angry at anyone for any reason there  even if it's out of character..."reported!".... "banned!"

A much better idea is what we already do: identify and avoid. Yes, it cuts down on your ability to get a group quickly through cross-server LFG tools, but you wouldn't have that available anyway in a segregated server would you?

As I said... this whole premise is ridiculous.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Several developers (like SOE as you noticed) have tried that. It hasn't really worked out. It would be even harder to do now. You have noticed that in the past decade or so the price for an MMO hasn't changed at all, correct? To repost from another thread:

Consumer bias will normally assume a product/service at the accepted price point is equal to the others at that price point and assume a product/service at a lower price to be inferior. However, when a product/service is offered at a higher price it comes under comparative scrutiny that an MMO's marketing team would just become belabored with justifying.

Once you try to sell at a different price, the onus is on you to justify the price. While you can find gaggles of folks on these forums that swear they would jump at the chance to pay more, the reality is you'd have a small handful of players regularly demanding a superior experience and greater content than what they'd get from WOW or any of the other established MMOs.

Since you won't be able to compete in static content, you'd have to compete in personalised content... that adequately covers all times zones and playstyles. Remember, you are charging extra for a better experience.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

No, it would keep alot of players away just being that too high of a monthly.

Asshats and kids join a game with their moms/dads/prepaid cards and no matter what the rating is, you can't verify someones age over the internet.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

When MMOS with 15 bucks a month P2P model are struggling to keep up only someone who is clinically insane would invest his money into a project which would ask subscribers to pay 25 bucks or 50 bucks a month.

The typical reply we get is 'if game is good i will even pay 100 bucks a month'. Well problem here is that good is subjective and past has proven that gamers are fickle bunch who themselves don't know what they want. 

Moreover, the notion that high sub fee will somehow make community more mature is laughable scenario since more money by  default does not mean 'better person'.

What a weird..weird topic this really is. To me it seems like OP is just prejudiced against certain type of players and made this topic just to ridicule them. But somehow it back fired.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Yeah, and making a more expensive sub-fee wouldn't do what you want. I've met the rich people who play MMOs. Most of them are so self-absorbed that I would want nothing to do with them. And I would never want to play on a server where I'd be surrounded by them (not that I'd be able to even afford such a high-priced sub game).

I think your missing my newest point. Not a more expensive game but a server with a higher sub fee that offers more community driven or RP content like player/guild housing and other things of this nature. Not to single out any group but most come and go gamers are more interested in pvp and buying gear or xp that gives them an edge in pvp and these are the players that more often than not are the ones, hacking, exploiting, and greifing.

-Robert E. Howard

• ZedTheRockZedTheRock Member UncommonPosts: 176
    So let me get this straight, the vast majority of the market is rolling toward a F2P model and every sub based game that still runs is hemoraging subscriptions left and right and you want to "raise" the sub price?  ROFL, thank god you're not in charge of any developmental studio.

SUP