Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Video - items, crafting, fishing etc.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    What I find amusing is you post a video of good stuff, the moaners no doubt picked over it looking for some "game breaking" flaw, didn't find one so proceeded to whine about the same sh*t they have on every other TESO thread.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Iselin
    Sandbox...themepark. I don't really understand why people are so obsessed with pigeonholing every MMO into 2 categories as if those were the only 2 choices and as if it mattered.It's as if labeling an MMO with one or the other keeps you from having to think intelligently about the many complex systems that go into making an MMO and how they work together.For example... ESO has a very unique character advancement system that I haven't seen before in any MMO. You level your Class skills along 3 paths and modify ("morph" they call it) them as they level by changing some of their effects. You also level armor skills and weapon skills--as many different ones as you want to do--depending on how often you use them. And if that wasn't enough you also level guild skills for any and all of the mage, warrior or thieve's guilds...that's, by my count, 6 different skill paths that are all leveling, through use, independently and simultaneously... actually many more than that if you choose to use different weapon/armor combos.But let's not talk about that. Let's instead stick ESO in the themepark category so we don't have to think too much. And let's just forget that they're creating a leveling system--which happens to be the core features of any RPG game--that is unique and no one has done before.It's just an MMO set in a familiar universe with some very unique features. I could give less of a shit whether someone wants to label it a themepark. What it will actually be is a lot of fun or a waste of time and we won't know for sure until we're in there checking it out for ourselves. I don't have a personal stake in proving that sandboxes or themeparks are superiror... I just want to play a good MMO that holds my interest because it's fun.And btw...which MMO release of the past 5 years has been successful at attracting a lot of gamers and retaining most of them? I can only think of one, GW2, a B2P "themepark" with some new ideas. And that says a lot more about our playing habits and attention span in these times where we have 100+ choices instead of 4 or 5, than it does about the quality or "themeparkiness" of the games.Going by those statistics all new MMOs Fail with a capital "F." But we're all a bunch of dreamers who think that we know exactly why MMO "x" or MMO "y" failed ( we really don't, you know) and why the new shiny one that interests us and is doing the "z" MMO version is going to buck the trend and keep us happy for 1+ years...dream on.MMO success is not any longer whether they keep and grow subs for 10 years--that just doesn't happen any more with all the other releases that distract us and pull us away. Success in the MMO business is just as simple as "did we recover our cost and is it profitable enough on an ongoing basis to bother?" And the success rate seems to be close to 100% since very few ever shut down completely.So,  to end my rant on a positive note. Yes, ESO will be a success... you heard it here first. 

very good post.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    nice, looking more and more like ES
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by GroovyFlower
    Originally posted by wordiz God I hope this game delivers. Bethesda don't fail me now! (Yeah, I know it's Zenimax. Same difference.)
    Not the same most are different developers then bethesda elderscroll developers.
    But for you themepark fans it prolly will.

People keep saying that But bethesda still love to stick their name in the trailers
    Soaking up all the good marketing and hiding behind 'its a zenimax game' when its not.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by wordiz God I hope this game delivers. Bethesda don't fail me now! (Yeah, I know it's Zenimax. Same difference.)
    Not the same most are different developers then bethesda elderscroll developers.

People keep saying that But bethesda still love to stick their name in the trailers
    Soaking up all the good marketing and hiding behind 'its a zenimax game' when its not.

Also lots of the ESO devs have worked on previous elders scrolls games and another interesting fact, zenimax media own bethesda  so they have direct excess to all elder scrolls assets.

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Talezeusz
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

Thanks for the post.

I saw today on another site some leaked info Q&A and it appears the game's beta is going very well and quite a different experience from that leaked video from a few weeks ago. After reading it I felt A WHOLE LOT better. :-)

After watching the video, I loved the graphics, so thats good. It doesn't look like Sponge Bob like Wild Star where everyone is getting excited about a monkey throwing bananas. I like that he picked things up off the table, fishing, little things that bring in immersion. I'm still waiting to see if the NPCs are not just standing around and the world feels full of life like Skyrim even though I know it will never replicate a single player experience.

I'm wonder what happens when someone takes something off a table with thousands running around. Will it re-appear for someone else?

Feel the same way with Wildstar.  The game would be a thousand times more hypeable with non-cartooney graphics.

Totally agree, though from this site's hype meter we are not the majority though for the life of me I still can't understand why people would prefer that art style when there was equal disdain for any kind of cartoonish artistry for SWTOR even though that game to me at least is a little less cartoony than WOW and Wildstar. Elder Scrolls is much more up my alley preference wise.

Not everyone looks only for graphics, Wildstar has great mmo features while TESO will be just another SWTOR-like story based game with players around you, it will be fun to level up and going through story but after 2 months everyone leave because there is no interesting MMO features (that alliance zerg PvP will fail like WvWvW in GW2 and they don't wanna do other pvp stuff so every single PvP player will leave that game), i personaly buy TESO only if it will be B2P, because for me it could be single player or co-op game and i don't wanna pay subscription for single player game.

Unfortunately, I agree with every word in your statement.  It will also come down to how combat works with The Elder Scrolls Online (TESO) as to how many players stay with the game after launch.  From the descriptions and videos from Zenimax, it doesn't look or sound good.  Having only SIX skills available with no cool down doesn't sound that exciting at all.  Also forcing the player to use a targeting reticle has not worked to keep players interested after launch in any major Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) to date.

The more this game is like Guild Wars 2 (GW2), the more this game will take players away from GW2 but not necessarily from other games.  Most of the people I've discussed gaming with that play GW2 are only playing it temporarily until TESO, FFXIV Reborn or WildStar are released.  And of those, WildStar and FFXIV Reborn has more going for it in terms of game play options than TESO.  This statement is based on all of the available videos and information from Zenimax and has nothing to do with what people are saying on any forums.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Prepared

... Having only SIX skills available with no cool down doesn't sound that exciting at all....

...Most of the people I've discussed gaming with that play GW2 are only playing it temporarily until TESO, FFXIV Reborn or WildStar are released. ..

Funny thing about the 6 skill limit... I like it a lot and I'll tell you why. Over the years I've transitioned from being a mouse clicker to using keybinds to using my Cyborg MMO7 mouse with programmable buttons. I can use 12 abilities using different buttons on the mouse and it's very enjoyable playing that way. In WOW and other old-fashioned games with 47 abilities, this means that I have to select which 12 abilities I have from 1 to =, based on what I use most often. It's a pain in the ass to not have enough room because I play a class with many more than 12 in-combat skills...it's annoying, boring and tiring. Besides, the vast majority of those abilities are just tiny variations of other abilities there for no other purpose than to fool you into thinking that quantity = quality... it isn't.

As to your 2nd point about GW2 and people just playing it till whatever has caught their fancy next comes out... welcome to gaming in 2013. What makes you think that it's only those playing GW2 who do that? It's every single MMO gamer I know except for the obsessive compulsive types who found one they love and don't want to try anything new.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Nitth

Also lots of the ESO devs have worked on previous elders scrolls games and another interesting fact, zenimax media own bethesda  so they have direct excess to all elder scrolls assets.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

This is the first time i see ESO content that actually makes me think It's an elderscrolls game.. hmm.

Can only hope it'll be a good one, still doubt it.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Am I the only one who felt that the character design and animations were awful?
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Am I the only one who felt that the character design and animations were awful?

I think the character design looks superior to just about every MMO out there. Animations still need some improvement, but they have drastically improved since that horrible leaked video which was obviously an old build on lowest settings.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Prepared

... Having only SIX skills available with no cool down doesn't sound that exciting at all....

...Most of the people I've discussed gaming with that play GW2 are only playing it temporarily until TESO, FFXIV Reborn or WildStar are released. ..

As to your 2nd point about GW2 and people just playing it till whatever has caught their fancy next comes out... welcome to gaming in 2013. What makes you think that it's only those playing GW2 who do that? It's every single MMO gamer I know except for the obsessive compulsive types who found one they love and don't want to try anything new.

exactly. People will say anything to support their illogical non-supportable statements..as if the people he so call claims to be discussing this with are a good sample size for the millions from multiple games that are all looking to try something new. I'll be trying WildStar and ESO and will decide which one I really like then. What I do know is that I'm a Skyrim fanatic and even though I realize this won't be Skyrim, it certainly will have enough similarities mixed with MMO needs to pull me away from what looks to be a childs game in Wildstar...especially after seeing quality videos like the one in this thread. 

The biggest threat I see to ESO is that similar to TOR and Knights of the Old Republic, ESO doesn't implement enough immersion (environment and activity wise) and social activities where it feels like a COOP. However, this video certainly shows they are heading in the right direction and with fishing ,crafting etc looking more like  I'm optimistic. 

If they implement the small stuff and ensure quality core gaming, they are going to attract a large RPG Elder Scrolls base, those just looking for something new, and those adults that are tired of Saturday morning cartoon graphics...and yes, graphics matter too because I was so sick and tired of people complaining how they hate cartoon graphics in other games similar to TOR and wanted more realism.

There Is Always Hope!

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Really happy they are adding a lot of this stuff, video was promising.  Rebuilt some of the lost hope for me with this game.

Thanks for the post.

I saw today on another site some leaked info Q&A and it appears the game's beta is going very well and quite a different experience from that leaked video from a few weeks ago. After reading it I felt A WHOLE LOT better. :-)

After watching the video, I loved the graphics, so thats good. It doesn't look like Sponge Bob like Wild Star where everyone is getting excited about a monkey throwing bananas. I like that he picked things up off the table, fishing, little things that bring in immersion. I'm still waiting to see if the NPCs are not just standing around and the world feels full of life like Skyrim even though I know it will never replicate a single player experience.

I'm wonder what happens when someone takes something off a table with thousands running around. Will it re-appear for someone else?

I just read the same thing you're talking about I'm sure.  Did sound really good indeed. 

Originally posted by ZedTheRock

Thanks for the post.

Feel the same way with Wildstar.  The game would be a thousand times more hypeable with non-cartooney graphics.

Totally agree, though from this site's hype meter we are not the majority though for the life of me I still can't understand why people would prefer that art style when there was equal disdain for any kind of cartoonish artistry for SWTOR even though that game to me at least is a little less cartoony than WOW and Wildstar. Elder Scrolls is much more up my alley preference wise.

You bring up a good point.  It seems Wildstar is getting more defense of it's graphics than SWTOR did, even though SWTOR did have slightly more realistic of a look.  Personally I just can't feel immersed in a world that looks like a cartoon.

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136

Pardon my cynicism, but after Colonial Marines I am inclined to believe that is merely an oblivion mod.

Full me once, shame on you, full me twice...

Originally posted by Piechunks

Pardon my cynicism, but after Colonial Marines I am inclined to believe that is merely an oblivion mod.

Full me once, shame on you, full me twice...

Lol now I've heard everything. This is the first time I've heard someone claiming the developer posted a mod of a previous game to show off a yet to be released game lol. The thing people do in these crazy forums to try to ruin things for the hopeful.

There Is Always Hope!

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Very awesome!

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

Heres to hoping the next video we get is a real gameplay one. Cool stuff, but it feels like we've seen everything but actual gameplay.

And I too have heard animations are still a work in progress.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    I personally hope people can't get to max level within the first month of the game. I'm tired of playing an MMO only to find out that I've finished it 1-4 weeks into its release.

They have claimed that it takes about 15 hours to hit level 10. We'll just have to wait and see.

15 hours for devs is no more than 1-2 for players.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

It has fishing!

Well, I guess that does it for me, I'm in! (And no, not being sarcastic).

It's the little things, especially the ones you can do other than beating on other players and NPCs that define an MMO for me. The more gameplay like this, the better. Collecting items for crafting also seems to be nice, and gives me hope for the game.

Now, here's hoping that all that stuff you can make via crafting (and all that fishing) will actually be noticably useful in RVRVR. :)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Nikopol

It has fishing!

Well, I guess that does it for me, I'm in! (And no, not being sarcastic).

It's the little things, especially the ones you can do other than beating on other players and NPCs that define an MMO for me. The more gameplay like this, the better. Collecting items for crafting also seems to be nice, and gives me hope for the game.

Now, here's hoping that all that stuff you can make via crafting (and all that fishing) will actually be noticably useful in RVRVR. :)

Yeah. Good points Niko. I also hope they take the time to integrate the crafted items into the core game play. I'm tired of crafting useless junk that gets immediately vendored or deconstructed.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    They can take fishing and blow it out their ass.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    i wanna see some damn boss fight gameplays vids
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by jimdandy26
    They can take fishing and blow it out their ass.

is that you duke nukem? :)