Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arche Age Officially Ruined

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

I agree lol, makes you wonder if most the people following AA are just following the hype train without actually knowing much about the game. These are the people who shout the loudest, this thread is a prime example lol.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

For me this game is ruined due to:

- Factions: Jake Song, who made Lineage 1, should have made AA like L1: where players make their own alliances and enemies instead of factions....., a good and meaningful political system.

- Too much instances

- Too much quests

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by Prenho

For me this game is ruined due to:

- Factions: Jake Song, who made Lineage 1, should have made AA like L1: where players make their own alliances and enemies instead of factions....., a good and meaningful political system.

- Too much instances

- Too much quests

Thank you for the perfect example of the uninformed drawing incorrect conclusions.

- Factions: Player made factions are about to be released.

- Too much instances: Umm are we talking about the same game? The last thing AA is criticized for is instancing.

- Too much quests: Questing can be ignored entirely and you can level to max without it, playing how you prefer. Questing is one of the most insignificant features of this game and if you quest to max level, your doing it wrong.

Great example though, your timing is excellent!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by SelfDestructPro
    It's official, Arche Age has been ruined.  After so long of waiting and however long I was still going to have to wait beyond this post, I no longer have to wait.This is what finally did it for me:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyEOF51hLMLike all other Asian influenced games, they somehow have to completely ruin it with something that just doesn't make sense.Anyway, I'm not here to gripe.  I just want to know is there any other games on the horizon that have really interesting exploration with the added bonus of ships and nautical warfare?  Preferably something that is medieval fantasy based.

The only real issue i have other than its a bit weird....is that if you have cars then that completely negates the need for horses and other animal mounts...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    I find it funny because people having been making this complaint since the game was announced, and you're just catching on now? This game has always been a mix of various genres and it's never hidden that fact. You've either not been following the game, or you're a troll looking for something to complain about.
  • steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Originally posted by Nitth

It's official, Arche Age has been ruined.  After so long of waiting and however long I was still going to have to wait beyond this post, I no longer have to wait.

This is what finally did it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyEOF51hLM

Like all other Asian influenced games, they somehow have to completely ruin it with something that just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I'm not here to gripe.  I just want to know is there any other games on the horizon that have really interesting exploration with the added bonus of ships and nautical warfare?  Preferably something that is medieval fantasy based.

The only real issue i have other than its a bit weird....is that if you have cars then that completely negates the need for horses and other animal mounts...

The car is a gigantic gold sink which most will not be able to afford for quite some time.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by DMKano

Cars have been in for a while, if this ruins it for anybody they are not getting why AA is so awesome to begin with - gameplay.

One feature does not make up or ruin a game for me.

To each his own.

Its tab targetting.... tell me how the gameplay is any different than WoW, also from what I have watched you are stuck in place as melee when attacking.

Looks worse than WoW.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    I care less about the cars and more about the fact they are riding horses without a saddle.  How the hell does it makes sense to be in a full set of plate with a jousting lance while riding a horse bareback.   A good breeze would blow those idiots off.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

I agree AA lacks direction but the cries on this forum are as always totally utterly exaggerated.  

Chillax guys, games are meant to be fun.  *he innocently says while playing EVE Online*

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i dont see how cars ruin the game for me. I dont roleplay so anything they add to the game is fine as long as its quality content and not just  a filler for the sake of variety. The more options the better when done right.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I don't see how cars ruin it for people. It isn't like they are modern cars, they share a look similar to what the game has had. Giant cats wearing purple armor that shoot laser beams out of their mouths don't ruin it for people but cars do?
  • shifueshifue Member UncommonPosts: 11
    It's funny i did not see people complaining about the steam tractor or gliders that is in the game ruining it. Honestly i like the fact of the steampunk style being in. Plus mounts have skills that make them useful plus mounted combat is being worked on to be better.I doubt you can do mounted combat in a car as well what is to stop people from riding the tractor into battle? lol that is the fun of a sandbox anything can happen.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

HAHA. I rarely really lol at stuff in videos about games.. but when I saw the hot rod cars and beach babes.. I got some major geek giggles.

That shit is crazy. Your sandbox is ruined guys, looked like it was going to be good for a while... shame.

You're right, I haven't been following the game at all.. but that doesn't stop that video from being one of the dumbest things I've seen in video games for a while. Whether I know my stuff about AA or not, that.. looks.. shit.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I could see it in  a steampunk-ish world having them in some form (though not as its shown here) but yeah... doesn't make too much sense. Should it ruin the game for you? No... but I can understand it being upsetting.
    Originally posted by Vannor

HAHA. I rarely really lol at stuff in videos about games.. but when I saw the hot rod cars and beach babes.. I got some major geek giggles.

That shit is crazy. Your sandbox is ruined guys, looked like it was going to be good for a while... shame.

You're right, I haven't been following the game at all.. but that doesn't stop that video from being one of the dumbest things I've seen in video games for a while. Whether I know my stuff about AA or not, that.. looks.. shit.

wtf is with everyone saying its ruined cause of the car really if the tractor and gilder did not do that for you then why the car? I though the ideal of sandbox was to be open not just preset. It's not like they dropped a m16 in i mean hell even the flying transport the airship like one is kinda steam punk style and all and no one cares there either again i don't see cars being used for combat it's just a means to travel and have some fun get over yourselves.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I really didn't see that one coming...

You make me like charity

Originally posted by coretex666

WoW has choppers.

I guess it is also officially ruined.

Where do these titles even come from. I understand when someone says it breaks immersion, but making a thread called "Arche Age Officially Ruined" is a bit strong reaction.

Never played wow but good comparison.Even then there is steam punk styled stuff in the game before the car so i just don't see the big deal or how it breaks immersion.I mean again got to state the tractors,gilders,and the airships and even the steam boat added to.Honestly i like the fresh appoarch

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

WoW has choppers.

Where do these titles even come from. I understand when someone says it breaks immersion, but making a thread called "Arche Age Officially Ruined" is a bit strong reaction.

I think a big difference there is that the lore in WoW has always had some element of technology in it, with things like gyrocoptors and stuff.

As far as I know, Arch Age doesn't really have any "lore" established.  At least nothing that mentioned hot rod cars...  Combined with the fact that they have kind of advertised it as being this open-world fantasy setting, I think disappointement and confusion makes sense.

At this point, the game looks less like an MMO, and more like a competitor to Second Life or Perfect World.

You make me like charity

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Does this mean that mobs will drop crankshafts and fuel injectors?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by wordiz
    Wow, blown away at how many people expect a fantasy game to be rooted in reality. As if this game being steampunkish was a secret.

The people that scratch their head as to why no AAA devs make a sandbox-focused MMO should print this thread out and nail it to their wall.  Not only is there little or no agreement among the sandbox crowd as to what may constitute a good sandbox game, the minute something is introduced that a sandbox fan doesn't like, they reject the game almost in its entirety as a result of it. It's a crowd so fickle and polarized that it's almost pointless to try developing a new game for them.

Though you can't really blame a lot of them.  The word "Sandbox" has been used quite often lately just to sell games, and to date I've yet to see a Sandbox since Ultima Online / SWG / Eve and a few lesser ones that didn't have the money behind it to make them really shine.  Then there are people who don't work on a project that perpetuate the notion of Sandbox to describe their game.

In truth it's gamers in general that do this.  If you see Themeparks that come out and try a new thing, they get torn a new one.  Then if it's "more of the same", then they still get ripped into.  At least when it comes to Sandboxes, most have a right to be angry when a game that claims to be Sandbox isn't.  Though it is true that many have different viewpoints on what makes a sandbox a sandbox.

I've read some people claim WoW is the ultimate sandbox simply because of the world PvP.  Which makes me wonder if these people have played a real Sandbox game in their life; many who say they want sandboxes may not even know what constitutes such as most MMORPG players entered with World of Warcraft before MMOs were "mainstream" (in that most never got funded because they weren't all that popular).  

Honestly I think most are just waiting for another UO when it comes to fantasy Sandboxes.  Then you have to consider the PvE sandbox crowd and the PvP and mix/match them with different servers or zones that allow specific behavior.  After than you have to look at the world you created and the setting you've advertised and see if something is out of place for the crowd that enjoys immersion (true for Themepark or Sandbox).  These are just fundamental things when constructing a MMORPG and not Sandbox exclusive.  In these stages you are prone to lose customers, but not analyzing them you will likely lose much more.

Then again, why can't we just play a game like it's a game and have fun without worrying about things?  Why does one small detail deter a large group of people?  To many these are living and breathing worlds of sorts.  Immersion is very important as such.  There has to be context for something to exist; in a space like game with technology you would expect star ships of sorts.  In addition MMOs tend to cost more for the player, so it's held in higher regard.  There was a quote on these forums a few hours ago in that "the fool easily relinquished his money" or some such.  Many want that elusive "perfect" game before they are willing to pay a monthly fee (I.E. "is this game worth a monthly fee?|  That we see around the forums at times).  The more money a genre asks, the more stingy people become and expect from it.

Wouldn't that be nice.

Originally posted by shifue

WoW has choppers.

Never played wow but good comparison.Even then there is steam punk styled stuff in the game before the car so i just don't see the big deal or how it breaks immersion.I mean again got to state the tractors,gilders,and the airships and even the steam boat added to.Honestly i like the fresh appoarch

It is matter of subjective preference I guess. While you like it, some other people may hate it which is fine.

I agree to i can understand not liking something i get that there was stuff i did not like in a few games but i still gave it a chance and loved most of these games.I just laugh though when tech is showing to be part of the game(ie tractors/gliders that go fully invisible) but a car pisses everyone off i just don't understand that part lol.

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I don't even have a response after watching that video.
  • Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

It's official, Arche Age has been ruined.  After so long of waiting and however long I was still going to have to wait beyond this post, I no longer have to wait.

This is what finally did it for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyEOF51hLM

Like all other Asian influenced games, they somehow have to completely ruin it with something that just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I'm not here to gripe.  I just want to know is there any other games on the horizon that have really interesting exploration with the added bonus of ships and nautical warfare?  Preferably something that is medieval fantasy based.

thanks for the heads up OP.  I had no idea this was going to be in the game.  I wont be thinking about Arche Age again. 

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    That part with the cars driving on the beach was when I had to stop the video.  What were they thinking?

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

So much fail.

It's not much of a leap from cars to WW2 planes is it.

I'm glad i saw this before i started playing it. I will put my hope in TESO who at least have respect for the fantasy genre.